The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Prince Harry and Prince William (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan Dec 2007-Feb 2008 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/prince-harrys-tour-of-duty-in-afghanistan-dec-2007-feb-2008-a-16090.html)

karla64 02-28-2008 01:02 PM

Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan Dec 2007-Feb 2008

It reported: Harry is in Afghanistan (sp?)

DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2008

christinacg 02-28-2008 01:18 PM

I just heard this on my local news! I had a feeling this was why we hadn't seen pictures of him recently. He must be happy to put his training to use. I'm proud of him. Pray he stays safe.

karla64 02-28-2008 01:20 PM

more article..

Prince Harry secretly serving in Afghanistan | UK news | guardian.co.uk

also it has been confirmed by CNN

pinkie40 02-28-2008 01:24 PM

Just heard about this...amazing! I wish him and his chums safety.

BeatrixFan 02-28-2008 01:33 PM

BBC NEWS | World | Prince Harry in Taleban fighting

I take it all back. Well done Sir.

Harold 02-28-2008 01:39 PM

Prayers for his safety and those with whom he serves, too. Do you think they'll pull him out now that the cover is blown?

rmay286 02-28-2008 01:44 PM

I checked his current events thread a couple of days ago and read about the lack of "Harry sightings" over the past couple of months. And I did wonder if he he was on a military mission.

I think it's fairly impressive that such a strict media blackout was enforced for two months, but he still has two more months to go on his mission and now his cover is blown. I hope he stays safe! Even though it sounds like he is working behind the scenes rather than in actual combat, the Taliban are definitely going to pick up on this information.

One thing I can't really understand is that all these news reports quote from an interview Harry apparently gave in Helmand province. If there was a media blackout, why was he speaking to the media? I didn't quite understand this.

kimebear 02-28-2008 02:00 PM

Shame on Matt Drudge for leaking this! The media interviews were conditional on being released after his return. Harry now has to worry about safety concerns far above and beyond a normal soldier.

Well done Harry. Finally some true backbone showing in the younger generation of royals. God speed your safe return and that of the other soldiers in your company.

Isana 02-28-2008 02:00 PM

The Times has an interview with Harry:

Prince Harry interview: serving in Afghanistan - Times Online

rockon210 02-28-2008 02:01 PM

Sky News with Video:
Prince Harry Fighting In Afghanistan For Past 10 Weeks |Sky News|UK News

TheTruth 02-28-2008 02:06 PM

Now that the news has been revealed, it's going to create a major safety problem for the Prince. I hope he'll be fine but I don't understand why he's not forced to come back since everyone knows he's out there.

seto 02-28-2008 02:17 PM

They probably won't force him to come back because he is serving like the rest of the men. They can't and shouldn't treat him any different than any other soldier. I wish him luck and hope he is safe.

What I don't understand is why he did any interview it is hard enough to keep his where abouts a secret why talk about it and draw attention to yourself.

Isana 02-28-2008 02:35 PM

I do not know how long the soldiers usually stay in Afghanistan but assuming its 12 weeks, his time would have been up anyways, hence the media reports, pictures and interview. I just hope to see him back home safely soon.

karla64 02-28-2008 02:37 PM

see slideshow

Britain's Prince Harry in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News

pinkie40 02-28-2008 02:42 PM

Brace yourselves for the James Hewitt comparisons which are likely to follow.

Empress 02-28-2008 02:48 PM

I don't think it does anyone any good for this to be out while he is still there. I am all for letting it be known once it is done and gone, but this puts not only himself, but his troops in danger. It's disgraceful that the media needs to publish everything in an attempt to beat out their competitor. Unless BP let this out themselves, I think that it should have stayed quiet until he returned home.

As for those who are praising him now, I have a very strong suspicion that it was not his choice to stay at home while everyone else was sent to do their duty. I think that he always wanted to go.

Skydragon 02-28-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karla64 (Post 735126)
it reported: Harry is in Afghanistan (sp?)

DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2008

What a disgrace this 'newspaper' is, to break the news. Shameful, they should be prosecuted!!!!!!!!:bang::bang::bang:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isana (Post 735164)
I do not know how long the soldiers usually stay in Afghanistan but assuming its 12 weeks, his time would have been up anyways, hence the media reports, pictures and interview. I just hope to see him back home safely soon.

They normally stay for 4-6 months and he was NOT due to return soon!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isana (Post 735164)

The interview was given, on a good faith basis, one the Australian, German & US 'journalists' broke.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress (Post 735173)
I don't think it does anyone any good for this to be out while he is still there. I am all for letting it be known once it is done and gone, but this puts not only himself, but his troops in danger. It's disgraceful that the media needs to publish everything in an attempt to beat out their competitor. Unless BP let this out themselves, I think that it should have stayed quiet until he returned home.

It was supposed to stay quiet until he was home, but the journalists were allowed to get their 'war photos' in preparation for the release of the story. All the other media outlets had kept to the agreement, just these '******' releasing details and now all hell will break loose. Not only in the media but every allied unit, every soldier in Afghanistan is now at greater risk!

Isana 02-28-2008 03:00 PM

Well they are lucky though that this has been kept quiet for so long. While I agree that it's dangerous to put this news out, BP was obviously prepared for this since pictures and interviews were ready. They certainly didn't expect all the media in the world to keep their mouth shut for 6 months and not ask questions about Harry's whereabouts once he vanished. Harry has most certainly be moved to a completely different area right now, if not send home altogether.

Little_star 02-28-2008 03:07 PM

I'm glad to hear that Harry was able to fulfil his wish of fighting in Afghanistan.

However I am absolutely disgusted with the media for reporting this. They should be ashamed of themselves.

sirhon11234 02-28-2008 03:10 PM

The media has put Harry and his fellow soldier's life in danger for reporting this.