The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   French State Visit to United Kingdom: March 2008 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/french-state-visit-to-united-kingdom-march-2008-a-16034.html)

Nico 02-26-2008 04:35 PM

French State Visit to United Kingdom: March 2008
 
I know it's next month but some news from today are, hum....interesting.:bang:

Speedy Sarkozy cuts short Queen visit after confessing: 'I love my Paris bed too much' | the Daily Mail

It doesn't sound good at all. I can't imagine our "dear" Presidential couple, epitome of the "Bling bling" vulgarity, in Windsor.
Well i'm french, i'm pround of my country and my history but i must say that i'am totally ashamed by my head of state's behaviour, and his wife, gosh, did you know that she wants to bring her guitare with her during the visit and sing for the Queen?
The british members of the board must know something: Mr Sarkozy will use your Queen, and all the visit, for PR purpose.... "vive l'entente cordiale":bang:

BeatrixFan 02-26-2008 04:41 PM

Firstly, where has Mr Sarzoky actually said he loves his Paris bed too much? Secondly, so she wants to bring a guitar. It's not an A bomb.

Elspeth 02-26-2008 04:47 PM

Sam, look at the headline of the article Nico linked to; it's one of the Mail's second-hand allegations, but then again, Nico didn't claim that Sarkozy actually said it.

LadyCat 02-26-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 734283)
I know it's next month but some news from today are, hum....interesting.:bang:

Speedy Sarkozy cuts short Queen visit after confessing: 'I love my Paris bed too much' | the Daily Mail

It doesn't sound good at all. I can't imagine our "dear" Presidential couple, epitome of the "Bling bling" vulgarity, in Windsor.
Well i'm french, i'm pround of my country and my history but i must say that i'am totally ashamed by my head of state's behaviour, and his wife, gosh, did you know that she wants to bring her guitare with her during the visit and sing for the Queen?
The british members of the board must know something: Mr Sarkozy will use your Queen, and all the visit, for PR purpose.... "vive l'entente cordiale":bang:

Perhaps after viewing the photos of his wife during the meeting on February 23, he's not so sure his bride should be subjected to more than one night on display with the British Royals, or rather that the royals should be subjected to more than one night with her. I had hopes that, as a former model, Ms Bruni would have a bit of class and style. But after seeing the photos taken during the meeting on February 23, I have to wonder. Surely she will dress and behave (body language, facial expressions, etc.) more in keeping with her new role as First Lady during a state visit.

Cat

BTW Can she sing? Perhaps one should send earlugs (anonymously of course) to the Queen, in the event Carla should pull out here guitar.:rolleyes:

TheTruth 02-26-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 734283)
I know it's next month but some news from today are, hum....interesting.:bang:

Speedy Sarkozy cuts short Queen visit after confessing: 'I love my Paris bed too much' | the Daily Mail

It doesn't sound good at all. I can't imagine our "dear" Presidential couple, epitome of the "Bling bling" vulgarity, in Windsor.
Well i'm french, i'm pround of my country and my history but i must say that i'am totally ashamed by my head of state's behaviour, and his wife, gosh, did you know that she wants to bring her guitare with her during the visit and sing for the Queen?
The british members of the board must know something: Mr Sarkozy will use your Queen, and all the visit, for PR purpose.... "vive l'entente cordiale":bang:

Hi French compatriot :biggrin:! I also fear this meeting : Sarkozy doesn't seem to have a bit of decency to be in such presence. I'm also proud of being French (half-french only but still) but I feel completely shameful of the image the world has of us now, being ruled by a gutter press President and a folk singer ...

BeatrixFan 02-26-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth (Post 734291)
Sam, look at the headline of the article Nico linked to; it's one of the Mail's second-hand allegations, but then again, Nico didn't claim that Sarkozy actually said it.

Thats what I meant. Where in the Mail does it say he said it. It doesn't. As you say, a second hand allegation that people really shouldn't get worked up about.

Nico 02-26-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Firstly, where has Mr Sarzoky actually said he loves his Paris bed too much? Secondly, so she wants to bring a guitar. It's not an A bomb.
For me the relation btw France and Great Britain is very special. Since Victoria all state visits btw these two nations had a "je ne sais quoi" of mixed glitter and friendship. Even Mitterrand, a socialist president, welcomed Elizabeth II with an infinite pump and respect in 1992. I was in paris during the 2004 queen's visit, it was the event of the year!
And voila, Mr Sarkozy (Mr "Get lost dumb ass" by the way) will use all the royal tradition as a background to sell the sexy concept of his new wife and to improve his own desastrous image. One night instead of two in Windsor is far enough for him, he wants just some glittering photos, he doesnt care about the rest...

BeatrixFan 02-26-2008 05:24 PM

It is very special but I think this witch hunt on Mr Sarzoky because he married a young pretty model is a bit much and it doesn't even come into our relationship with the French. It's the government we deal with, not Mrs Sarkozy. And what's the big deal if they only want to stay one night? Maybe they have more important engagements back in France?

Nico 02-26-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

It is very special but I think this witch hunt on Mr Sarzoky because he married a young pretty model is a bit much
No no no! You know what? We don't care, Good for him!! The big fact is that were are really really fed up with all this presidential soap opera: Sarkozy in the morning news, Sarkozy at noon, Sarkozy in the evening news: He's everywhere: Sarkozy with Bush, Sarkozy with the Pope, we hope Sarkozy on the moon very soon...
The upcomming state visit will be, again, another Sarkozy show...

Duke of Marmalade 02-26-2008 05:38 PM

HM has survived George Bush and she will survive the second most embarrassing head of state among the G8 states, Monsieur Bling Bling. Looking at the last pics when Carla presented herself as first lady for the first time I wonder what is going on between those two. Maybe she'll cancel her stay shortly after arrival due to a throat infection, giving Sarko a dejavue, here we go again, another wife who doesn't fancy doing her duty. However, I do hope she does not turn up in black jeans and black sneakers again. Can't wait for some witty remarks from Philip leaking out to the media :lol:

BeatrixFan 02-26-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 734327)
No no no! You know what? We don't care, Good for him!! The big fact is that were are really really fed up with all this presidential soap opera: Sarkozy in the morning news, Sarkozy at noon, Sarkozy in the evening news: He's everywhere: Sarkozy with Bush, Sarkozy with the Pope, we hope Sarkozy on the moon very soon...
The upcomming state visit will be, again, another Sarkozy show...

He is President of France...one expects to see him with Bush and the Pope. And with our Queen.

TheTruth 02-26-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 734327)
No no no! You know what? We don't care, Good for him!! The big fact is that were are really really fed up with all this presidential soap opera: Sarkozy in the morning news, Sarkozy at noon, Sarkozy in the evening news: He's everywhere: Sarkozy with Bush, Sarkozy with the Pope, we hope Sarkozy on the moon very soon...
The upcomming state visit will be, again, another Sarkozy show...

Ah yes, I can't stand it anymore. I hope he won't destroy our relationship with UK forever :ermm:.

Sam, you should come to France for, lets say 1 week, and you'll see what we are experiencing here : you won't believe it ;).

BeatrixFan 02-26-2008 05:44 PM

Oh we've had it in Britain too. But I think it's important to hold back on criticism when the President is actually doing his job and that's what he's doing here - he's representing France in Britain. I don't see why this visit has immediately been pegged as a disaster with a thumbs down.

TheTruth 02-26-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 734335)
Oh we've had it in Britain too. But I think it's important to hold back on criticism when the President is actually doing his job and that's what he's doing here - he's representing France in Britain. I don't see why this visit has immediately been pegged as a disaster with a thumbs down.

It's anticipation. We had such echos of mistakes he made during important events that now, each time he's facing a meeting it's like France is holding its breath.

Nico 02-26-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Oh we've had it in Britain too. But I think it's important to hold back on criticism when the President is actually doing his job and that's what he's doing here - he's representing France in Britain. I don't see why this visit has immediately been pegged as a disaster with a thumbs down
In a way you're right...We will see, and maybe i'm wrong, who knows?
But the point is that i respect so much your country, your history and your institutions that i am deeply embarrassed to be represented by this man, not even popular in his own country 10 months only after his election.

zembla 02-26-2008 06:10 PM

I was beginning to wonder what the people of France were really thinking of their president...oh well, most Americans share in your embarrassment as we have the same problem, only different situations as to why the annoyance occurred...LOL

Lady Marmalade 02-27-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 734328)
HM has survived George Bush and she will survive the second most embarrassing head of state among the G8 states, Monsieur Bling Bling. Looking at the last pics when Carla presented herself as first lady for the first time I wonder what is going on between those two. Maybe she'll cancel her stay shortly after arrival due to a throat infection, giving Sarko a dejavue, here we go again, another wife who doesn't fancy doing her duty. However, I do hope she does not turn up in black jeans and black sneakers again. Can't wait for some witty remarks from Philip leaking out to the media :lol:

Could you please refrain from name calling heads of government? I know it so chic and cool to verbally eviscerate my president, but, please not on here. Thank you.

Madame Royale 02-27-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 734296)
Hi French compatriot :biggrin:! I also fear this meeting : Sarkozy doesn't seem to have a bit of decency to be in such presence. I'm also proud of being French (half-french only but still) but I feel completely shameful of the image the world has of us now, being ruled by a gutter press President and a folk singer ...

I adore France, am half french myself, though I think I'd prefer 'my' France to have a throne...;)

Gutter press president and folk singer...a shame, but it's true! His not fit to be president, imo.

Elspeth 02-27-2008 03:30 AM

Well, but he was elected, and it wasn't all that close an election if I remember right, so I assume a lot of French people think he's fit to be president (unless they're having collective second thoughts).

Personally I think it's discourteous to refuse to undertake a full-length state visit unless there's some crisis back in your own country that absolutely demands your personal attention. I mean, it's two bloody days - it wouldn't kill him to grit his teeth and put up with it.

Madame Royale 02-27-2008 05:13 AM

Quote:

...but he was elected
Momentary insanity by those who voted for him? We can only hope!

It is a disagraceful example that he intends to stay only one night as Her Majesty's guest. For a President to cut short his visit for no signifcant reason says to me that his atitude toward bilateral relations is not what it should be.

No doubt just enough time to exhibit his wife...lady companion...temporary fix, whatever.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises