The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings General Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Lengths of the wedding gown trains (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/lengths-of-the-wedding-gown-trains-15800.html)

uriel 10-13-2006 01:43 AM

the length of the wedding gown

Hi, I'm new to the forum!

I've a question, is there any regulation for the length of the wedding gown? For example, how many yards for crown princess? and for princess?

Danielle 10-13-2006 02:06 AM

Hi uriel and welcome to the forums. :smile:

That's an interesting question. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any regulations in regard to how much material is used. Each design is different and requires a different amount of material so I don't think they can say 'x yards for Crown Princesses and y yards for princesses, etc'.

I don't know if it's a 'rule', but most of the royal brides wear floor-length gowns just because the weddings are normally very formal. Shorter dresses (i.e. above the ankle) are normally for weddings that are less formal. A lot of brides have a train so it would be kind of weird if you had one with a shorter dress. Hope this helps!

uriel 10-13-2006 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle
Hi uriel and welcome to the forums. :smile:

That's an interesting question. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any regulations in regard to how much material is used. Each design is different and requires a different amount of material so I don't think they can say 'x yards for Crown Princesses and y yards for princesses, etc'.

I don't know if it's a 'rule', but most of the royal brides wear floor-length gowns just because the weddings are normally very formal. Shorter dresses (i.e. above the ankle) are normally for weddings that are less formal. A lot of brides have a train so it would be kind of weird if you had one with a shorter dress. Hope this helps!

Hi Danielle, thank you for your answer!

I know that almost all of royal brides have a long train. So is there any rules for the length of the train? or the train can be as long as you like?

principessa 02-07-2008 09:47 AM

Lengths of the wedding gown trains

Does anyone know: How long are the wedding gown trains of the royal brides?

mrsbugman 02-07-2008 03:19 PM

Only that Dianas was 25 feet long. And I thought it was beautful!:wub:

magnik 02-07-2008 03:51 PM

Few from me:

Royal Wedding Gowns

TheTruth 02-07-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsbugman (Post 727112)
Only that Dianas was 25 feet long. And I thought it was beautful!:wub:

Here are some pics. It was definitely fabulous !

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

magnik 02-07-2008 04:27 PM

Sarah Ferguson a 17 foot train and a bodice nicely embroidered in gold.

Wedding Dress Trains

PadThaiPrincess 02-07-2008 11:27 PM

I can't find an exact length for Princess Mabel's gown by Viktor & Rolf, but from pictures it looks to be 5 to six feet? Hard to tell with the bows.

cupcakes 02-08-2008 12:54 AM

I've always wanted someone to explain to me what the prestige is of these super long trains. Personally, I think they look ridiculous and sometimes downright ugly. Mary of Denmark dragged this ugly blanket of plain fabric behind her that seemed to have little to do with the rest of the dress. What does it prove? We already know they have lots of money - a few more yards of silk can't be that big a deal.

It's not that I dislike trains in general. The picture of Princess Grace at the "Royal Wedding Gowns" site linked above shows a train fanned out behind her in perfect proportion to the rest of the dress.

I just don't understand why so many people are impressed just because a piece of fabric is 20 feet long instead of 15.

marmi 02-08-2008 01:09 AM

The Danish Crown Prince couple website had the details about the dress on it (a while ago), I'll have a look principessa.

marmi 02-08-2008 01:13 AM

Principessa, this is the Wedding page from the official website; and this is the page for the gown.
It says that the train was 6m long measured from the waste, and was made of 23.5 metres of duchess satin.

marmi 02-08-2008 01:21 AM

Christine's Royalty.net has a page for Mette Marit's wedding gown (here) - it says that:

Quote:

"...the skirt is flared with a two metre long train..."

marmi 02-08-2008 01:25 AM

Martha Louise's train:

Quote:

The train is three metres long and ends in a pointed gothic arch.

From this page of Christine's Royalty

marmi 02-08-2008 01:34 AM

According to BBC News Maxima's wedding gown was:

Quote:

"...an ivory-coloured silk gown made by Valentino couture with a five-metre lace train, carrying a bouquet of white roses."

marmi 02-08-2008 01:40 AM

I'm sorry I haven't found a length for letizia's train. I'm not surprised given it's shape.

This is the best I could do (From BBC News):

Quote:

Ms Ortiz's bridal gown, created by veteran Spanish designer Manuel Pertegaz, had a tightly fitting bodice with a turned-up collar and a sweeping skirt and train.

I hope this has helped you, principessa!

Moonmaiden23 03-27-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes (Post 727315)
I've always wanted someone to explain to me what the prestige is of these super long trains. Personally, I think they look ridiculous and sometimes downright ugly. Mary of Denmark dragged this ugly blanket of plain fabric behind her that seemed to have little to do with the rest of the dress. What does it prove? We already know they have lots of money - a few more yards of silk can't be that big a deal.

It's not that I dislike trains in general. The picture of Princess Grace at the "Royal Wedding Gowns" site linked above shows a train fanned out behind her in perfect proportion to the rest of the dress.

I just don't understand why so many people are impressed just because a piece of fabric is 20 feet long instead of 15.

The purpose of a train on a Royal wedding gown-I think-is to add scope and majesty to what would otherwise be an ordinary gown. Also most Royal weddings take place in enormous cathedrals or churches. A train added to a gown is needed to "fill out" empty space. In medieval times, the longer the train attached to a lady's gown the higher her status was. Commoner women did not have trains, it was the prerogative of a noblewoman only.

PrincessDianafan 03-30-2008 09:56 AM

Letizia's train was 4.5 metres

Her_Majesty 03-30-2008 10:06 AM

Mette-Marit's train was the prettiest one, IMO.
It looked like swan-wings.
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6...temarit0qg.jpg
originally posted by Alexandria

It was unusual that the veil was actually longer then the train. It looked stunning.

blondie28 03-30-2008 10:09 AM

How long is Mette-Merrit's veil in feet?