The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Prince Carl Philip (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   Carl Philip's Language Skills (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f49/carl-philips-language-skills-15617.html)

Tigress 01-23-2008 06:48 PM

Carl Philip's Language Skills
 
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I didn't know where else to ask this but is there any video or audio clips of Prince Carl talking in English? I was just curious

royalone3 01-24-2008 10:50 PM

I've always wondered what he would sound like speaking English.

Nova 02-13-2008 05:27 PM

Carl Philip speaking German
 
Hej, hej,

I am just wondering if someone of you knows links to videos where Carl Philip is speaking German? I would be very interested in how he sounds.

royalone3 02-14-2008 08:08 AM

I didn't even know he spoke German!

Nova 02-14-2008 10:27 AM

I heard that he speaks it a little bit but not really good. And I once heard that he gave a short interview in German for a German TV kanal (ARD). But I couldn't find any video. So therefore i found maybe someone would know a link.

Princess_Beatrix 02-14-2008 10:40 AM

Did Silvia and Carl Gustav raise their children speaking 2 languages? German and Swedish? Or did they learn it later (in school)?

marie45se 02-14-2008 01:26 PM

They was taught so they could talk with their grandparents.

Helen88 04-12-2008 06:58 PM

Silvia said in an interview from 2000something (don't remember) that she raised them speaking only Swedish because she was told it might confuse the children if they were bilingual.

As far as I know they learnt German later.
Victoria speaks quite good German, but Carl Philip's isn't so great. I heard him in the ARD-interview, too.

qisabella 03-08-2009 01:56 AM

I know there have been discussions on this before (I just can't find any) but how well does CP speak English? Didn't he attend school in America when he was younger?

Thanks!

Yennie 03-08-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qisabella (Post 904678)
I know there have been discussions on this before (I just can't find any) but how well does CP speak English? Didn't he attend school in America when he was younger?

Thanks!

Carl Philip has studied in America, both in mid-90īs when he attended Kent high school and last year when he studied at Rhode Island school of design. So he should be speaking very good english (just as a majority of the swedes)

Quote:

Silvia said in an interview from 2000something (don't remember) that she raised them speaking only Swedish because she was told it might confuse the children if they were bilingual.
I think she was talking about portuguese, that she did not want to have a "secret language" with the children that their father couldnīt understand. Iīm sure the King speaks german so that should not be a problem... and I think they had special homeeducation in german when they were kids.

MAfan 03-09-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 905003)
Carl Philip has studied in America, both in mid-90īs when he attended Kent high school and last year when he studied at Rhode Island school of design. So he should be speaking very good english (just as a majority of the swedes)


I think she was talking about portuguese, that she did not want to have a "secret language" with the children that their father couldnīt understand. Iīm sure the King speaks german so that should not be a problem... and I think they had special homeeducation in german when they were kids.

The same King is half german, since his mother was german; so I think he can speak german...

Princess Mia 06-22-2009 12:16 AM

Video of Prince Carl Philip speaking English at the Gothenburg City Race June 2009:

YouTube - Prins Carl Philip at GÃķteborg City Race

qisabella 06-22-2009 03:00 PM

Thank you for the video! He speaks english very well - although I suppose that is not too surprising.

Princess Mia 06-27-2009 05:27 PM

Your welcome gisabella. I also think he speaks english very well. He sounds very American there's barely a hint of an accent.

Charlotte1 06-27-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Mia (Post 958785)
Your welcome gisabella. I also think he speaks english very well. He sounds very American there's barely a hint of an accent.

His English isn't accentless, he speaks English with an accent, an American accent! Listen carefully one of the words he says he pronounces it in a British English (Queen's English version) way. (When asked about how he got interested in racing) Considering he did part of his high schooling in the US it's not surprising he speaks English with an American accent.

Princess Mia 06-28-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1 (Post 958842)
His English isn't accentless, he speaks English with an accent, an American accent! Listen carefully one of the words he says he pronounces it in a British English (Queen's English version) way. (When asked about how he got interested in racing) Considering he did part of his high schooling in the US it's not surprising he speaks English with an American accent.

Charlotte1, there's no need to dissect every little thing I'm saying. I'm American, so of course I heard his "American" accent. Other countries accents are more noticeable. Of course I heard when he said "fast cars". I think it's wonderful. PCP switching up his accents just shows all the places he's had the privilege of visiting.

I know many people from Europe, Asia, Africa and the Caribbean who study and live here in the US and still have their countries accent. So it was very surprising to hear him speak English just like an American. Nothing is wrong with that.

qisabella 06-28-2009 08:40 PM

It is really all just relative. I am also American, so I think, "Oh wow he has no accent." In general I am always amazed at how well all Scandanavians speak English; not just their vocabulary or mastery of the language but by their lack of a strong vernacular accent (does that make sense?) unlike Germans or French.

BTW...are you from Beverly Hills Princess Mia? I grew up there.

Ella Kay 06-29-2009 11:03 AM

I hear a combination of American, British, and Swedish influences in his accent. But regardless, he speaks the language well and very clearly. Thanks for the video!

irishgirl567 07-03-2009 12:17 PM

his sister the crown princess victoria has american accent , she went to private school there

Lalla Meriem 07-03-2009 07:36 PM

Wow, I was surprised at how very American he sounds. I didn't hear any British at all just American with a every so tiny bit of Swedish. I'm very impressed. But, I'm always impressed by the European polyglots.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises