The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Style File (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Diana's Cosmetic Makeup (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/dianas-cosmetic-makeup-15599.html)

ToytownZara 01-23-2008 02:46 PM

Diana's Cosmetic Makeup
 
This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts? :ermm:

TheTruth 01-23-2008 02:58 PM

No, you're not nuts :biggrin:. I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it but actually you're right. On this particular pic, your description fits perfectly.

Although I don't know if this change could be related to her lovers' origins. At least, not entirely. The make-up and fashion in the 90's were putting forward the simplicity so it may also be a reason to stop the red lipstick etc.

sirhon11234 01-23-2008 03:04 PM

I have also noticed that Princess Diana's makeup was more simple by 1997.
Did she have a make up artist during this time? :)

EmpressRouge 01-23-2008 03:16 PM

I imagine she had more freedom in makeup styles after her divorce and no longer being forced to comply w/ the HRH look. You can see it in her wardrobe: more modern, sleek, and sexy (no more gloves and hats). It was probably by personal choice too. She wore low-heels so not to tower over Prince Charles, but as the marriage soured, she brought out the stilettos.

BeatrixFan 01-23-2008 03:29 PM

And let us not forget the very clever use of heavy eyeliner during the Panorama interview. It's an old Monty Westmore trick taught to the divine Joan - just one tear and you can achieve a suitably devastated look that could melt the heart of Stalin.

iowabelle 01-23-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 720460)
And let us not forget the very clever use of heavy eyeliner during the Panorama interview. It's an old Monty Westmore trick taught to the divine Joan - just one tear and you can achieve a suitably devastated look that could melt the heart of Stalin.

Or you could look like our own dear, late Tammy Faye Baker.

I thought Diana had gone over the top with the makeup. But I guess she was going for the effect.

tinkerbell1948 01-23-2008 03:52 PM

BFan that eyeliner was just so obvious going for the soulful tragic look

TTZ can't say I particularly noticed the make-up but yes the link TheTruth posted shows what you mean, maybe the change was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable

TheTruth 01-23-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkerbell1948 (Post 720475)
BFan that eyeliner was just so obvious going for the soulful tragic look

TTZ can't say I particularly noticed the make-up but yes the link TheTruth posted shows what you mean, maybe the change was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable

True. Just another detail that may have its importance : the picture was taken during a trip to Pakistan so it may be a sign of respect toward the people. This other pic from 1997 shows also a simple make-up and very light or maybe no lipstick.

She may had various reasons but I'm sure one was that she wanted to be taken seriously. She couldn't go to Angola dressed like any Red Cross volunteer and the next week come up to a gala with a Barbara Cartland face. I believe she thought it would put a "superficial" sense to her work.

Roslyn 01-23-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToytownZara (Post 720436)
This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts? :ermm:

No, you're not nuts......at least no more than the rest of us. :lol:

I find your observation interesting. Though there could be a number of reasons, I am sure that at least one motivation would have been to make herself appear culturally appropriate to Hasnat Khan's Pakistani family.

IceBlack 01-23-2008 06:21 PM

Hi, Im new to this forum :smile:

Diana is very much in love with Hasnat Khan and Pakistan. She looks lovely wearing Pakistanis Clothes.

Duchess 01-23-2008 06:24 PM

i remember reading somewhere that she used heavy eyeliner several times, for dramatic effect. one of the other times i recall was when she watched the surgery...the close up photos of her wearing the mask show heavy eyeliner.

ToytownZara 01-23-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge (Post 720452)
I imagine she had more freedom in makeup styles after her divorce and no longer being forced to comply w/ the HRH look. You can see it in her wardrobe: more modern, sleek, and sexy (no more gloves and hats). It was probably by personal choice too. She wore low-heels so not to tower over Prince Charles, but as the marriage soured, she brought out the stilettos.

Shame, really - she did do the whole formal thing well with the big hats she used to wear. I love hats and am glad the Queen still wears them. But she looked great in the heels as well - of course, a gunnysack would have looked good on her!

And I agree with the others about the eyeliner - that was WAAY overdone. The reasons for the changes seem very plausible, and I know styles were changing then as well, but MAN those eyebrows got dark....

TheTruth 01-23-2008 06:40 PM

Oh I LOVED when she wore some black eyeliner. Not in the 'esthetic' way but that was her "trademark". It was her symbol just like the rock band "Kiss" with their faces painted of black and white (no particular sense to the comparison ... was just an example :biggrin: )

Elspeth 01-23-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlack (Post 720540)
Hi, Im new to this forum :smile:

Diana is very much in love with Hasnat Khan and Pakistan. She looks lovely wearing Pakistanis Clothes.

Welcome to TRF, IceBlack!

Princess B 08-01-2008 11:14 AM

does someone have pictures of diana during the panorama interview?

Warren 08-01-2008 11:18 AM

diana panorama - Google Search=

:google:

Mermaid1962 08-01-2008 11:58 AM

She definitely had a simpler, more natural look in 1997 and perhaps late in 1996 as well. I didn't think that she looked more Arab/Pakistani necessarily, but she seemed to let her eyebrows grow more thickly and perhaps go back to a natural, darker colour. On the other hand, her hair got blonder and her makeup got paler. She looked like a different person just before she died. As someone else here suggested, it might have been partly due to the 90s "minimalism", which was a reaction to all the excess of the 80s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToytownZara (Post 720436)
This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts? :ermm:


Menarue 08-01-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess (Post 720542)
i remember reading somewhere that she used heavy eyeliner several times, for dramatic effect. one of the other times i recall was when she watched the surgery...the close up photos of her wearing the mask show heavy eyeliner.

She really went to town on the eye makeup on that occasion, actually over the surgical mask it looked a bit ridiculous.
When she first married she wore a lot of blue eyeliner, but then that was the fashion, she looked much better afterwards. The last, almost no makeup, look didnīt suit her in my opinion, I keep thinking of the book jacket of her biography, she looked absolutely stunning in that photo.

Odette 08-01-2008 01:01 PM

She used to be a light coloured brunette, but as was said at the time, she asked her hairdresser to make her blonder since as she told him:"You know my husband loves blondes" . I am sure she was using make up to her advantage depending on the occasion and towards the end she spent more time out in the sun and got sun tanned. With regard to eye liner, I believe she looked awful during that Panorama interview and I do not know how she benefited from it.

Nazma FOURRE 08-11-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToytownZara (Post 720436)
This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts? :ermm:

There have been some rumours that she has been converted to muslim religion.
Nazma FOURRE


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises