The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   Monaco Princely Family Documentaries and DVDs (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/monaco-princely-family-documentaries-and-dvds-15465.html)

sandee 02-15-2004 06:43 AM

Monaco Princely Family Documentaries and DVDs

Hi everyone,
I dont know if this has already been mentioned, but Biography on A&E is going to be airing a show on Caroline and Stephanie titled The princesses of monaco, on Wed. Feb 18...it should be very interesting to watch!

This is a link to the biography website...i dont know why it says "my webpage"

My Webpage

Gabriella 02-15-2004 12:28 PM

Thanks Sandee, I'll have to remember that. :)

kittencrews 02-17-2004 02:53 PM

That should be really good! I love how is says ".... so why can't they stand each other?" Wonder how deep it's going to go into their relationship. I'm glad it was recently made because I would hate for them to have old news... ha ha :P Pray for a little section on my dear ol' Ernst :heart:

sky 02-18-2004 09:01 PM

I'm watching it now.

sky 02-18-2004 09:03 PM

Wow I have never heard them speak before. Step has an American accent and Caroline has an English one.

sky 02-18-2004 09:12 PM

Did you know that Caroline and her friends put Step. in the toilet. :woot: :lol: I don't know who this women is but she said that the problem with most royal families is that the children are ugly, but in this case these princesses were not. :lol: But I know that in the 60's Charles was a sex symbol here(U.S)

montecarlo 02-18-2004 10:15 PM

I watched it too! Caroline has a deep British-American accent whilst Stephanie has a soft American accent. Did anyone notice the change in Grace's voice? She sounded British-American like Caroline. Maybe she picked it up from Rainier. I read somewhere that he has a deep British accent.

sky 02-18-2004 10:21 PM

To me Grace always had a English accent. But always thought Step had a geep voice not Caroline. But I never thought about how Caroline would sound. I feel like I know the princesses a bit more or closer. And with E-A. Him attacking the camara man made me feel close to him. I really do mean that. :lol:

montecarlo 02-18-2004 10:26 PM

According to the program, Caroline found out about her mother's history with older married men, that's why she never cared to listen to her. She ignored her mother's wishes to stay away from older men.

As for Stephanie, well, she said she wanted to live life to its fullest. She didn't want to grow old and say: "I wish I did this or I wish I did that." Plus she said: "it may seem glamorous [being a royal, attending dinner parties, etc.] but it's boring."

montecarlo 02-18-2004 10:38 PM

To All The People Who Watched A&E Biography: The Princesses of Monaco

After viewing this program, how do you feel about Caroline and Stephanie?

For those of you who could not see the program and wish too, can order a video copy for $19.95 . It includes interviews of Stephanie in 1994 and Caroline in 1998. http://store.aetv.com/html/search/index.jh...esses+of+Monaco

sky 02-18-2004 10:55 PM

How I feel about them did not change much. But hearing what the people of Monaco had to say did help. But I never thought Caroline was so mean to Stephanie. I can not believe that she got Ranier to not allow Stephanie to go a ball and was able to get her allowance cut down. Even though I would take Caroline to the ball than Stephanie. :rolleyes: I always felt soory for Stephanie,but I feel even more sorry for her because of that. E-A appealed to me more on TV than photos and newspapers.

Jacqueline 02-18-2004 11:28 PM

I always knew that Stephanie and Caroline weren't particulary close and that Caroline can be a snob at times, but after watching this she is like a tyrant. I can't believe that her father had to choose between the two of them for that ball. Poor Stephanie had to stay away, because as one of the person interviewed put it Prince Rainier chose "the daughter with the most class" :o That it just horrible.

Quote:

I still like Stephanie, but I don't particularly care for Caroline right at this moment. I do like some things about her, but I really don't like the way in which she has treated her sister. She may look pretty great now as Princess of Hanover and mother, but she is hardly a saint as the biography showed us. You would think that she could be a little more understanding towards Stephanie and just love her sister and accept the fact that Stephanie is a free spirit and move on. They are really getting too old for this. Most people regardless of who they are have a sibling who is different, dare I say "out there?" She should embrace it. Stephanie seems as though she can be a lot of fun. ;)

Dennism 02-18-2004 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jacqueline@Feb 18th, 2004 - 10:28 pm
I always knew that Stephanie and Caroline weren't particulary close and that Caroline can be a snob at times, but after watching this she is like a tyrant. I can't believe that her father had to choose between the two of them for that ball. Poor Stephanie had to stay away, because as one of the person interviewed put it Prince Rainier chose "the daughter with the most class" :o  That it just horrible.

Quote:

I still like Stephanie, but I don't particularly care for Caroline right at this moment. I do like some things about her, but I really don't like the way in which she has treated her sister. She may look pretty great now as Princess of Hanover and mother, but she is hardly a saint as the biography showed us. You would think that she could be a little more understanding towards Stephanie and just love her sister and accept the fact that Stephanie is a free spirit and move on. They are really getting too old for this. Most people regardless of who they are have a sibling who is different, dare I say "out there?" She should embrace it. Stephanie seems as though she can be a lot of fun. ;)

Wow, I think neither sister came out too clean in this one. Sure, Stephanie is a free spirit but she has made some big mistakes too. I didn't like the tone of the show too.

renats 02-18-2004 11:44 PM

I like Stephanie a lot more than Caroline but in a way, I understand Caro. Those problems between them, came from their childhood. From what I know, Grace had a few miscarriages before having Stephanie. So, she used to receive a very different threatment from her parents than her sibs did. Last born kids usually receive an unfair better threatment, but in a situation like that....wow....I know they didn't mean to harm Caro but that doesn't mean that Caroline didn't feel really bad about it. So, whatever resentment that's left, is a continue of their childhood relationship. I doubt it's because of men and all the blah, blah, blah, that the press insists. If so, she would be picking on Albert too because he simply doen't choose a woman.

kittencrews 02-19-2004 12:13 AM

I have to say, I'm still a huge fan of Caroline... and EA *sigh* I love him. The program didn't tell me anything I hadn't already read about Caroline but it made me like Stephanie a little more. I could listen to the Princesses talk all day... I taped it and have watched them talk over and over... ha ha...

But I am a little disappointed that A&E didn't focus a little more on their charities and duties, but I guess the show was about their relationship... hopefully next time there is a story more of their good qualities and not their problems! Oh well I loved it anyway!!!!

EA... awww

machievelli 02-19-2004 12:49 AM

I saw the biography of Caroline and Stephanie. It was very interesting and well done. I enjoyed hearing Caroline and Stephanie speak.

And I loved seeing the childhood pix and video of them. The current info was also pretty fun to watch. For a one hour biography episode it was done well.

Caroline and Stephanie were so very beautiful when they were younger. They are still pretty, but they were huge knock outs in their youth! I see where Charlotte gets her good looks and bone structure!

I still enjoy Stephanie and think she is cool. But I'm still a huge fan of Caroline as well. I have always been drawn to Caroline and her family.

michelle 02-19-2004 10:13 AM

I would have loved to watch it but I don't have any possibility to watch american tv ( exept CNN).
Seems like the show braught up some funny anecdotes such as the thing as Caro and friends put Steph head-first into the toilet ( nasty sis...hehe)
I'll try to think of more fun-facts and anecdotes of the Grimaldi...I already posted some on Stephanie ( as she is the one I know the best) in the Princess Stephanie forum under ' Stephanie's bio'.....check it out...it's interesting to know some stuff like that....you get to know the princess better...get a clue of what she's like...

montecarlo 02-19-2004 10:41 AM

The program portrayed Caroline as a hypocritical, self-righteous, conceited tyrant. Stephanie, however, was portrayed as a lost little girl who desperately needed love and appreciation from her sister.

Caroline’s interview did not help her image either. She appeared too dignified and aloof. Stephanie, on the other hand, appeared very friendly and ordinary. She seemed like the type of person, who could win her audience over, with her sweet personality. One source even said: "Caroline is a snob....bitter and cold....Stephanie is very warm."

By the way, the program also mentioned why Rainier approved of Caroline’s third husband, Ernst von Hannover. According to a source, Rainier said: “he’s one of us” to his daughter.

moby 02-19-2004 11:32 AM

darn, i wish i was able to watch it. :angry:

Quote:

Rainier said: “he’s one of us” to his daughter
that's such a horrible way to say to a daughter. although in a different context it may not seem so bad. a father could really relate more to a son-in-law if he's "one of us" kind of thing.

anyhow, i really wish i saw the video. i've read some stuff about the family though. there was even a biography that tells about how stephanie was sent to a very strict boarding school and how she begged to her father not to be sent there. :( grace was said to be very firm that she go there while rainier was not. stephanie ended up running away from that place. they weren't allowed to take a bath everyday there and so she traded up her desserts (because she's not fond of them) for a shower from her classmates. :lol:
and then there was also said about the letters that rainier and grace sent to each other before they eventually ended up getting married. when asked about the letters the couple sent to each other rainier said that he wouldn't want to share them as they're only among th few things that the world doesn't really know about. :heart:

:(

machievelli 02-19-2004 05:46 PM

I felt that the editors and producers of the bio were manipulative in focusing on Caroline and Stephanie's scandals and not focusing enough on the good things they have done and accomplished in their lives.

I also think they slanted the bio in Stephanie's favor. I firmly believe that both Caroline and Stephanie have made numerous mistakes with each other and in other areas of their lives. They both are not perfect. But I felt that they tried to vilify Caroline too much and tried to make Stephanie out to be simply misunderstood. Caroline is no saint, but neither is Stephanie. I do believe that Stephanie is warm, fun, and misunderstood, but she is still responsible for her scandalous behavior, etc. I don't believe that Stephanie is such a victim that the biography made her out to be. Stephanie is more complex than the biography portrayed.

I also don't believe that Caroline is strictly a cruel and villainous woman. I think Caroline is more complex as a person. Caroline has less than stellar qualities like all humans, but I don't think she is heartless. I believe that Caroline is more than that and wish they could have focused more on her being a good mother and her charity works.

I enjoyed the biography, but it's clear that the producers only wanted to focus on the negative and the scandalous stuff in the house of Grimaldi. But I still enjoyed the bio and still am intrigued by Caroline, Stephanie and their families.