The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Media Blackout in 1936 v. Today (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/media-blackout-in-1936-v-today-14619.html)

BeatrixFan 11-05-2007 07:42 PM

Ah I see. Well, the blackmail is a criminal offence which carries guilt, IMO the rest is a matter of personal circumstance. And if it is who we think it is, then he isn't married and I didn't expect him to be!

sophie25 11-05-2007 07:53 PM

Beatrixfan, I love all your posts, but I feel compelled to enlighten you about this topic. I know who you think it is and you may be correct but (and I have to be careful here) there are many people who believe that the person is someone else and you can find their name on the huffington post, just type this into google and put "royal blackmail" into the huffington post search engine and the person's name should come up. Also I have added a bit to my last post so please give me your thoughts on both of these questions.

diamondBrg 11-05-2007 10:29 PM

Well someone is most certainly drop dead handsome! :flowers:

kalnel 11-07-2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angela (Post 689176)
Beatrixfan, I love all your posts, but I feel compelled to enlighten you about this topic. I know who you think it is and you may be correct but (and I have to be careful here) there are many people who believe that the person is someone else and you can find their name on the huffington post, just type this into google and put "royal blackmail" into the huffington post search engine and the person's name should come up. Also I have added a bit to my last post so please give me your thoughts on both of these questions.

If you type that phrase into Huffington Post's search engine (or almost any other), you get stories that include the name of the person whose identity has already been revealed outside Britain, but I didn't see any stories about an alternative person. (And, there is a "Lady Voldemort" to his "Lord Voldemort.")

But, his identity really isn't the issue in this alleged crime; it's a case about blackmail. Lord Voldemort could have been breaking into the Tower of London to steal the crown jewels while stark naked on Christmas morning with Osama bin Laden driving the getaway car, but the fact is, HE's not on trial, the guy who is trying to blackmail him is.

kal

wbenson 11-07-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalnel (Post 689664)
If you type that phrase into Huffington Post's search engine (or almost any other), you get stories that include the name of the person whose identity has already been revealed outside Britain, but I didn't see any stories about an alternative person. (And, there is a "Lady Voldemort" to his "Lord Voldemort.")

I think BeatrixFan was making references to someone other than the person whose identity has been revealed, and the "someone else" angela mentioned is the person mentioned as the prime "suspect" so to speak.

Warren 11-07-2007 02:06 AM

I think we should be careful in labelling the target of a blackmail attempt as a "suspect".
While the tittletattle over "who is it?" (which we know) is innocuous enough, the alleged crime isn't.

wbenson 11-07-2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 689681)
I think we should be careful in labelling the target of a blackmail attempt as a "suspect".
While the tittletattle over "who is it?" (which we know) is innocuous enough, the alleged crime isn't.

That's why I put it in quotes, as I couldn't think of any other word at the time. I meant it as the alleged person is merely suspected of being the person referred to in the video.

Warren 11-07-2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 689689)
I meant it as the alleged person is merely suspected of being the person in the video.

The person in the video is the "aide" who is making the claims. According to all reports, the subject of the blackmail attempt is NOT in the video.

wbenson 11-07-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 689697)
The person in the video is the "aide" who is making the claims. According to all reports, the subject of the blackmail attempt is NOT in the video.

Ugh, I shouldn't type things out this late. Sorry, I knew that, and have fixed my omission.

Jo of Palatine 11-07-2007 05:53 AM

What could be read in the media outside the UK was the identity of the Royal who had been blackmailed. As his identity led naturally to information about his family and employer, there is a lot of speculation about how these people might react now that the information is made public.

Following this speculations I understand now why a court of the UK tried to prevent this from happening by ordering the British media not to tell the public about the blackmailing victim.

Because at it is, this victim did what was to do: did not relent to the baclmailing but asked the appropriate representatives of the power of the State he is a citizen of from protection. Thus the police as appropriate representatives in case of a crime took over and did what the law required them to do. So the Royal behaved as every citizen is required to behave: if you're blackmailed, tell the police and let them deal with it.

But of course the authorities knew what would happen to the victim once the story got public. There are real nasty speculations out there! Poor Lord and Lady Voldemort. To ask now of them to tell in public "We did not do anything of the things claimed" is ridiculous. They did so by informing the police!

And BTW - I think it's typical that this Royal was chosen as a victim. He has a position that makes him more vulnerable than others and one could read that in his business another unpleasant occasion had taken place before, so the blackmailers could feel safe that this Royal would not go to the police. But Lord Voldemort did and I congratulate him to his trust in his nation and its authority. I do hope that all ends well for him.

susan alicia 11-07-2007 06:00 AM

In the meantime because we are not allowed to speculate someone else, someone completely different has been mentioned over and over again.

BeatrixFan 11-07-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angela (Post 689166)
When I say "guilt" I don't necessarily mean in terms of criminal activity I mean in terms of the accusations of sexual activity being true and their impact on that person's personal life. It has been alledged in some quarters that the sexual activity was of a same sex nature so if this person is married and these accusations are true that would be even more devastating for his/her marraige and for their own personal reputation as this person may not have portrayed themselves as having gay tendancies in the past and would not want people to think this was the case.

P.S. I wonder if he/she will still attend the Diamond Wedding Service at Westminster Abbey even if their identity has not been formally revealed at that point as almost everyone in the Abbey and those watching on T.V. will know who the person is and it will take the emphasis off the Queen and Prince Phillip's big day.

At the end of the day, it's really about how accepting the Royal Family are. Whoever it is (and as you rightly say, I could be wrong about it) is obviously gay and therefore once the blackmail offence is dealt with we're left with a gay royal. How the Windsors choose to deal with this will be an interesting one and could show them to be wonderfully modern and accepting or old fashioned and bigoted. I doubt anyone would be left out of the Wedding Service - if they were it'd be more than obvious. < ed >

If the Royal and the aide are taking drugs, then we have a problem. If the Royal and the aide are just making a Paris tape, then we have no problem per se but the implications for the family look slightly bleak if the Huffington Post are right. < ed >

sophie25 11-07-2007 02:10 PM

< ed > As far as "Lord Voldemort" is concerned I don't think that a lot of upper class people who get involved in homosexual activity are strictly gay. I think that quite often they experiment with all sorts of things through having too much money, time and opportunity on their hands and I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the case with him if indeed he has done what he has been accused of in that video.

selrahc4 11-07-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 689779)
Whoever it is (and as you rightly say, I could be wrong about it) is obviously gay and therefore once the blackmail offence is dealt with we're left with a gay royal.

You are assuming that the allegations made in the tape are true. If the blackmail is dealt with and the result is that it's allegations are pure fabrication, then there is no one "obviously gay" nor are we "left with a gay royal".

BeatrixFan 11-07-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angela (Post 689892)
< ed > As far as "Lord Voldemort" is concerned I don't think that a lot of upper class people who get involved in homosexual activity are strictly gay. I think that quite often they experiment with all sorts of things through having too much money, time and opportunity on their hands and I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the case with him if indeed he has done what he has been accused of in that video.

Lionel Blair's married...

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
You are assuming that the allegations made in the tape are true. If the blackmail is dealt with and the result is that it's allegations are pure fabrication, then there is no one "obviously gay" nor are we "left with a gay royal".

Well, a tape doesn't lie. But IF the allegations made in the tape are true then that would make me believe that the only offence committed is blackmail and that the aftermath is more about accepting the fact that the Royal concerned bats for both teams rather than any other offence.

selrahc4 11-07-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 689901)
Well, a tape doesn't lie.

LOL, good one. :lol: Unfortunately however, people captured talking on a tape can quite easlily lie.

BeatrixFan 11-07-2007 02:52 PM

Oh true but they're not talking in this video are they? It's all about actions.

wbenson 11-07-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 689909)
Oh true but they're not talking in this video are they? It's all about actions.

The video is just the blackmailers making accusations. There may be no video of actual actions anywhere.

BeatrixFan 11-07-2007 03:53 PM

I think you've got that slightly wrong. The video is footage of a Royal and an aide engaging in a sexual act. The aide also takes cocaine with the help of a Harrods card. The blackmailing was done over the phone by these chaps who said they'll give the video to the newspapers if they didn't get money. Thats why they're on trial. However, when that trial is over and the name and the video is seen by the law, they'll decide whether to prosecute for drug offences.

wbenson 11-07-2007 04:20 PM

That video is only alleged to exist by the blackmailers.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises