The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Chit Chat (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/)
-   -   Favourite Danish-Greek baby name? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/favourite-danish-greek-baby-name-14511.html)

carlota 10-19-2007 05:47 AM

Favourite Danish-Greek baby name?

which one is your favourite?

since there were very few children in the danish royal family alone, i decided to include the greek part of the family as well (who are also technically danish nobility :smile:).

Christian Valdemar Henri John
Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe
Nikolai William Alexander Frederik
Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian
Friedrich Richard Oscar Jefferson
Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte
Maria-Olympia
Konstantin-Alexios
Achileas Andrea
Odysseas Kimon
Arrieta
Anne-Marie
Carlos

MissSaga 10-19-2007 06:27 AM

Don't the greek kids have middlenames ?

carlota 10-19-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSaga (Post 681892)
Don't the greek kids have middlenames ?

i couldn't find them at all. i also checked the official webpage, and they are referred to as those names.

Princess Luna 10-19-2007 07:07 AM

I have to favourite name: Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe and Nikolai William Alexander Frederik. Cute name :wub:

agnessa 10-19-2007 07:51 AM

I like name Christian Valdemar Henry John and Maria-Olympia. First name sounds like real viking name (exept last names:) and Maria-Olympia sounds like old Greek name.

PrincessElena 10-19-2007 08:02 AM

Well maybe they just have those names...little Leonor and Sofia have only one name too.

As for favourite names, I like Carlos the most.

dbarn67 10-19-2007 08:49 AM

I like Maria Olympia...very majestic.

Physicistdear 10-19-2007 10:49 AM

I love Nikolai and Felix :wub:

royaltywatcher 10-19-2007 12:49 PM

They are all just awful. At least with the Danish names, there is a chance you will like one or two of them. I think names should be appropriate to the family (Isabella, for instance, sounds wrong for a Danish name) and multiple names should go well together, with some interesting historical names thrown in (like Valdemar) but no off notes (like Isabella).

The best name--Christian's name.

The worst name -- Odysseas Kimon. Oh, no! Since the Greek royal family never used names like these before, it sounds like a blatant plea to the Greek people--"Please let us be the ruling family again! See, we've even named our children to please you!"

Liz 10-19-2007 01:46 PM

I like Nikolai William Alexander Frederik - it really flows well.

Maria-Olympia is nice as well.

Aurora810 10-19-2007 02:14 PM

I'm not sure if we are supposed to choose only a few names from the entire set of names listed or a whole complete name. So I'll do both.

The three best complete names, imo:

Christian Valdemar Henri John -- the flow is nice and it contains just enough history, with still very up to date names.

Nikolai William Alexander Frederik -- once again good flow and individually I like all the names. I really like the name Nikolai.

Maria-Olympia -- good combo, somewhat different but yet somewhat simple.

I also really like these names individually: Isabella and Ingrid

Notes:
Some of the Greek names are not that great, imo. But hey I'm not the parent so whatever works for them. Much like another poster mentioned, I kind of thought that the name Isabella was a little out of place with the Danish RF but I suppose I'm used to it by now. And besides I really do like the name.

queenofcelts 10-19-2007 03:06 PM

As far as for now I like these:
Arietta
Maria-Olympia

charmed4sure 10-19-2007 05:31 PM

I love these names, they just sound so good together, and as much as I love Christian and Nikolai's names Isabella's name is actually my favorite, just the way it sounds..it just makes me smile..i don't know why but it does..it is just sweet...is that weird???:smile::smile::smile:

randomlyKeira 11-12-2008 02:43 PM

Arietta and Maria Olympia are my favorite.

Rebafan81 11-12-2008 04:35 PM

My two favorite are:

Ingrid Alexandra Irma Benedikte

sgl 11-12-2008 04:41 PM

I love Arietta. It is such a beautiful name.

Lilla 11-12-2008 04:57 PM

My favorits are:

Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian

It is the name Valdemar that makes me prefere these names.

Denmark has had three Kings called Valdemar. All three were great Kings of the olds days. Valdemar the Great, Valdemar the Victorious and Valdemar Atterdag (one more day). The latter was also called "the Evil", but he was the greatest King Denmark ever had - IMO. At the age of twenty he was proclaimed King for a Kingdom that was split into pieces and almost entirely pawned to some German Counts. In reallity only a very small piece of Denmark could be called a Kingdom of his - the part north of the Limfjord in Jutland (a very small indeed). He had to pay for the rest of northern Jutland. The rest of Denmak was pawned to Germans Counts and as such "governed" by thouse Germans Counts - in reality no law existed.

He mannaged to unify the Kingdom and bring it out of its misery during his 35 years of reign. He was a tough guy and the nickname "Evil" is understandable - but without him Denmark wouldn't have existed today.

He died at Gurre Castle, Zealand in 1375. The ruins of the castle can be seen here: http://www.fortidsminder.com/gurre_s...lysninger.html

More about Valdemar Atterdag can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_IV_of_Denmark (in English)

The best British equivalent I can come up with is King Alfred.

I have alwayes wondered - which Valdemar were Joachim/Alexandra and Frederik/Mary thinking about when choosing this name............?

I do love the combination of the first two names in Christians name. The first follows the traditional switch between the names of the Danish Kings - Frederik - Christian. One day he will become Christian the 11'th. The second name is a salute to the greatest Kings of Denmark in the past.

I like the sound of:

For females I prefere:

Arrieta

I have no reason but simply liking the name.

SarahAnne 11-13-2008 03:19 AM

Boys:

Girls:
Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte

princessistanbul 11-14-2008 03:27 PM

my prefer
Maria-Olympia

Turkish Delight 11-14-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atene (Post 681902)
I have to favourite name: Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe and Nikolai William Alexander Frederik. Cute name :wub:

I totally agree with you!:flowers: