The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f236/)
-   -   Princess Catharina-Amalia, News and Pictures 1 (December 2003 - January 2005) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f236/princess-catharina-amalia-news-and-pictures-1-december-2003-january-2005-a-1435.html)

karolinabraganza 12-09-2003 05:15 AM

Princess Catharina-Amalia, News and Pictures 1 (December 2003 - January 2005)

God bless her

ps: i am realising that i write thread with a t, which is obviously very misleading...i am not a native speaker, i feel very silly, please forgive me everyone!! :blush:

liv 12-09-2003 05:23 AM

The baby will be called Amalia,that´s a wonderful name.
But Beatrix and Carmen?It´s a tribute to Amalia´s grandmothers:
Queen Beatrix
Carmen Cerruti

Catharina has been chosen because it´s a regal name for the next Queen...

Also Eloise is names Beatrix:
Eloise Sophie Beatrix Laurence

Lena 12-09-2003 05:32 AM

"Victoria" as fifth name, means that, that crown princess Victoria will become her godmother?

Sancia 12-09-2003 05:47 AM

It sounds awful... Catharina-Amalia: such old-fashioned... But very good idea that the names of the grandmothers are second and third name.

norwegianne 12-09-2003 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Danielane@Dec 9th, 2003 - 4:47 am
It sounds awful... Catharina-Amalia: such old-fashioned... But very good idea that the names of the grandmothers are second and third name.
Well old-fashioned names are in, just think of Maud Angelica, and I expect them to be even more popular after this.

Personally I think it's good that they haven't named her something new and modern. A big point of a monarchy these days are the historical roots, which shows when they name a baby.

(And of course it's more interesting to discuss the Royals of the world than the presidents... :innocent: )

Poppy 12-09-2003 06:52 AM

I love old-fashioned names as long as they are traditionally royal!

Without those names, the royals won't sound royal anymore.

norwegianne 12-09-2003 07:04 AM

From the Danish Newspaper BT:
Hollandsk prinsesse hedder Catharina-Amalia

Den nyfødte hollandske arveprinsesse får navnet Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria van Oranje-Nassau med kaldenavnet Amalia. Det meddelte hendes far, kronprins Willem-Alexander, da han i dag lod sin førstefødte registrere på folkeregistret i Haags rådhus.

Kronprinsens hustru, den argentinsk-fødte prinsesse Maxima, havde søndag født prinsessen på Bronovo-hospitalet i den hollandske hovedstad.

Og næppe var prinsessen, der er nummer to i arvefølgen, født, før naboerne i Belgien havde travlt med at udpege hendes kommende ægtemand, nemlig den... ...16 uger gamle belgiske prins Gabriel, der er det belgiske tronfølgerpars andet barn.

Den flamske senator Vincent Van Quickenborne vil ifølge belgiske medier kræve en lov fra 1830 ændret, fordi den forbyder giftermål mellem de belgiske og hollandske kongehuse.

Well, this is interesting: two days old and the press is trying to marry her off already :woot: And trying to change the laws so they can do it... :shock:

LineLu 12-09-2003 07:59 AM

Hi together!

That's my first post here! :rolleyes:

So, in the german radio I heard Willem-Alexander saying, that Victoria they choosed because of the meaning of the name. he also said, that the bayb will only be called Amalia, but he and Maxima liked the combination with Catharina.
But maybe the crown princess of Sweden will be her god-mother?

All the best!

Line* :flower:

Sancia 12-09-2003 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by norwegianne+Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:45 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:45 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Danielane@Dec 9th, 2003 - 4:47 am
Well old-fashioned names are in, just think of Maud Angelica, and I expect them to be even more popular after this.

Personally I think it&#39;s good that they haven&#39;t named her something new and modern. A big point of a monarchy these days are the historical roots, which shows when they name a baby.

(And of course it&#39;s more interesting to discuss the Royals of the world than the presidents... :innocent: ) [/b][/quote]
Maud and Angelica are not old fashioned to me, Maud is popular in France. I prefer a lot Maud Angelica than Catharina-Amalia.

Sancia 12-09-2003 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Poppy@Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:52 am
I love old-fashioned names as long as they are traditionally royal&#33;

Without those names, the royals won&#39;t sound royal anymore.

I too love old names, but some names are to old-fashioned to me. I agree that royal can&#39;t have "common" or "modern" names, but royal doesn&#39;t have to mean insuitable. IMO, Catharina-Amalia is rather insuitable.
I heard that prince Laurent of Belgium said that their baby would be be a girl called Louise, which is an old and royal name, but I think it sounds lovely, and I&#39;d like to give this name to my daughter, if I have children.

Poppy 12-09-2003 08:44 AM

Victoria could be her godmother. It would be nice esp. Victoria is not a mother at the moment, she might like to be a godmother&#33;

Orianna 12-09-2003 09:19 AM

i am sorry but i dont like the name Amalia , is really old and ugly with Catharina
better choices Emma , Juliana , but that is going to be the name &#33; i hope they found her a nice nick name , like Mia (for amalia ) ,amelie , or something like that

didem 12-09-2003 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria

The Watcher 12-09-2003 12:54 PM

I find it a beautiful name:woot: :

Amalia for family and friends.
Catharina-Amalia for her as princess.

Just like,
Alexander for family and friends
Willem-Alexander for him as prince.

It&#39;s really NOT awful :angry: , Princess Jopie that&#39;s awful :P . But this name is not awful.

It&#39;s is a good chose&#33;

--------------------------------

You know....in the future. Imagine....a low voice is speaking on the television. "There is she coming....the daughter of King Willem IV of the Netherlands and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands....She is wearing a beautiful red (like her mother&#33; )dress...Today we had the honour that Crownprincess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands visits our beautiful country....."

Sounds good&#33; :P

Dennism 12-09-2003 01:46 PM

Two names that end with "a" sounds odd to my ears. She will sound rather Spanish if you ask me. Anyway, Beatrix is there and that&#39;s good.

engelkristall 12-09-2003 02:30 PM

;) ...replace all the "A"&#39;s inti "E"&#39;s...and you will get Emelie... :blush:

Alexandria 12-09-2003 02:33 PM

Does anyone know where the name Carmen came from? Is that a name common in the Dutch royal family or Maxima&#39;s family?

And surprising that Juliana isn&#39;t one of the middle names.

Dennism 12-09-2003 02:37 PM

From the BBC:

"Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander has named his new baby daughter Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria.

The princess, who was born on Sunday, is second in line to the throne and will be known as Amalia for short.

As he arrived at the register office in the Hague, the prince was greeted by a crowd of hundreds of well-wishers.

He drank toasts with the city's mayor and Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, who acted as a witness at the ceremony.

The birth has been widely celebrated - many people hung out banners in orange, the royal colour, from their homes.

Others inundated the royal website with messages of congratulations.

The Crown Prince said his wife, Argentine-born Princess Maxima was doing well and was "intensely happy".

He said Amalia "eats well, sleeps well, and cries well when she is hungry".

The 3.3kg (7.3lb) baby is likely to become Queen Amalia because boys and girls have equal succession rights in the Netherlands.

Popular couple

The names Beatrix and Carmen are taken from her grandmothers, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and Carmen Zorreguieta.

Her titles are Princess of the Netherlands and Princess of Oranje-Nassau.

The royal couple married in Amsterdam in February 2002.

Their easy-going manner has made them a big hit with the Dutch public.

Tens of thousands thronged the centre of Amsterdam for the wedding.

The bride's father was not permitted to attend because he had held a government position during Argentina's military dictatorship.

Prince Willem-Alexander's younger brother, Prince Johan Friso, has given up his right to the throne s a result of a controversy over his fiancee's previous contacts with a criminal."

Amalia? I don't know. It's not a name that I'm too familiar with. Sounds old-fashioned.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...203bodyafp.jpg

liv 12-09-2003 02:40 PM

Carmen is one of Maxima´s names.beatrix in honour of Queen Beatrix.

bramair 12-09-2003 02:42 PM

I like the fact that they broke with tradition and chose a name that hasn&#39;t been held by a Dutch queen before. Interesting.

royal_sophietje 12-09-2003 02:44 PM

Amalia is named after Amalia van Solms, member of the royal family in the medieval.

Carmen is from Maria del Carmen, Maxima&#39;s mother.

Gabriella 12-09-2003 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bramair@Dec 9th, 2003 - 1:42 pm
I like the fact that they broke with tradition and chose a name that hasn&#39;t been held by a Dutch queen before. Interesting.
I like it too. Shows Maxima and Willem-Alexander&#39;s uniqueness. I do have to say that I am not as crazy about the name Amalia. I think it would have been prettier if they had called her Catharina, or made a nickname out of that. But hey, it&#39;s not my choice.

Dennism 12-09-2003 03:19 PM

Maria would have been my choice. But not with Amalia or Catharina. Maria Beatrix but Maria would be her name.

Dennism 12-09-2003 03:26 PM

Yes, I knew it was a past royal name. Amelia is nice too.

" Amalia is named after Amalia van Solms, member of the royal family in the medieval."

Was she a particularly important one? I mean of all of the royal names. She must have been important then or influential.

Alexandria 12-09-2003 04:06 PM

Is the French version of Catharina-Amalia&#39;s name Amelie (like in the movie with Audrey Tatou)? And the English version is Amelia, right?

Dennism 12-09-2003 04:37 PM

That&#39;s correct. A Princess Amelia brought the name to Britain in the 18th century where it was popular in the 19th century. Comes from the Old German for "industrious". Emelie comes from it. But not Emily which was a Roman clan name. Other names associated with it are Aimiliona, Amaleta, Emeline, Malia, Amalyne and Emmeline

Robbert 12-09-2003 04:45 PM

Quote:

" Amalia is named after Amalia van Solms, member of the royal family in the medieval."

Was she a particularly important one? I mean of all of the royal names. She must have been important then or influential.

As far as I know she was very very important. She was the wife of Frederik Hendrik (the third ruler of the Netherlands, son of Willem I). He became ruler of the NEtherlands because his brother wanted this and he also wanted FH to marry Amalia van Solms (a maid). So if it wasn&#39;t for her there would be no Dutch royal family.

Dennism 12-09-2003 04:59 PM

Willem Frederik van Oranje-Nassau (24 august 1772 - 12 december 1843), King of Nederlanden (1815-1840),

Robbert 12-09-2003 05:14 PM

Born:31-8-1602
Died:10-9-1675

married Prince Frederik Hendrik on 4th of April 1625

they had 5 childeren, 1 son Willem II (later ruler of the Netherlands, and 4 daughters.
:innocent:

Josefine 12-09-2003 05:17 PM

Princess Madeleine of sweden whole name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine

Robbert 12-09-2003 05:18 PM

the "rulers" of the Netherlands since the 16th century:

De stadhouders Van Oranje:

Stadhouder Willem I, &#39;Willem de Zwijger&#39; (*1533 - †1584)

Prins Maurits (*1567 - †1625)

Stadhouder Frederik Hendrik (*1584 - †1647)

Stadhouder Willem II (*1626 - †1650)

Stadhouder Willem III, &#39;King William&#39; (*1650 - †1702)

Stadhouder Willem IV (*1711 - †1751)

Stadhouder Willem V (*1748 - †1806)

Napoleontische heersers:

Koning Lodewijk Napoleon (*1778 - †1846)

Keizer Napoleon Bonaparte I (*1769 - †1821)

Het koningshuis Van Oranje:

Koning Willem I (*1772 - †1843)

Koning Willem II (*1792 - †1849)

Koning Willem III (*1817 - †1890)

Koningin Emma (*1858 - †1934)

Koningin Wilhelmina (*1880 - †1962)

Koningin Juliana (*1909)

I&#39;m glad that WA and Maxima got a daugther, or else we would have gotten another Willem guy :wacko:

moosey60 12-09-2003 06:13 PM

Ew...what a gross name for such a cute baby...Why couldn&#39;t they have stuck with Emma/Juliana/Beatrix...or why couldn&#39;t they have given her Victoria as a first name? Catharina Amalia...a little too old fashioned for my blood. It&#39;s not up to snuff...it would&#39;ve been nicer if they had given her a more..."modern" name. I mean...her cousin Eloise has a very nice name...

Dennism 12-09-2003 06:15 PM

Don&#39;t I feel dumb now. I&#39;m just glad it wasn&#39;t the one from around the turn of the 18th century. I know him.

Dennism 12-09-2003 06:18 PM

Also I read that Victoria was used for its meaning for anything else but it would be good to have KPV as the godmother anyway.

beebee 12-09-2003 07:09 PM

Don&#39;t know what the fuss is about. I think Catharina Amalia is a lovely name, although the repetition of the end A in Catharina and the first A in Amalia makes it rather hard to pronounce. Congratulations to the Dutch royal family&#33;

Alexandria 12-09-2003 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beebee@Dec 9th, 2003 - 6:09 pm
I think Catharina Amalia is a lovely name, although the repetition of the end A in Catharina and the first A in Amalia makes it rather hard to pronounce.
I like this name, too. But what I think is hardest to get your tongue around with her name is the second &#39;a&#39; in Amalia. Had it been Catharina-Am-e-lia, it would flow a bit easier and roll off the tongue a bit more. But with Catharina-Am-a-lia, you have to really wrap your tongue around that fourth &#39;a.&#39;

Although sometimes (a lot&#33;) people have problems with my name, and they miss the &#39;ia&#39; ending, because Alexand-ra is more common than Alexand-r-ia. And then they tell me that my name is too hard to pronounce. So what can you do?&#33;

beebee 12-10-2003 01:28 AM

Alexandria is also a lovely name&#33; And it&#39;s very suitable for this forum, because it sounds so royal&#33;

I think the problem with "Amalia" is that so many people seem to be used to "Amelia," so the former seems hard to say. But I&#39;m sure the Dutch - the only people who really need to know how to pronounce it - manage quite well... if it&#39;s a Dutch name, that is&#33;

theprincess 12-10-2003 01:47 AM

Howi s "Amalia" pronouned???

wymanda 12-10-2003 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by theprincess@Dec 10th, 2003 - 12:47 am
Howi s "Amalia" pronouned???
I would think that it would be

a-mar-lee-a

Binny 12-10-2003 06:22 AM

Hi,

Just curious to know if it is a Dutch name? And, is Catharina a Dutch name also? Are they very unusual? Or, are there a few Catharinas and Amalias wandering around Amsterdam?

:flower:

norwegianne 12-10-2003 07:28 AM

I have no problem pronouncing it... :innocent: But Norwegian and Dutch are similar in a lot of aspects.

It would&#39;ve been harder to pronounce it Amelia, for me... But again, it&#39;s the Dutch who&#39;re going to be doing the pronouncing.

samitude 12-10-2003 12:26 PM

I heard a news reporter pronounce her name from a dutch webcast. She pronounced it Ah-mah-lee-yah.

Helena 12-10-2003 12:51 PM

the names arent new (the little daughter of the prime minister is called Amélie for example), but not very common either. In dutch we have no problems with the number of &#39;a&#39;in the name, easy to pronounce. Catharina is also a name used in many different forms, Kaatje, Kathariena Katrien (Donald Duck&#39;s girlfriend is called this way in dutch). Arina, etc etc. My tennants wife remarked that it is to awful that they called their daughter Catherine because she was sure that everybody would call hetb &#39;Kat&#39; = a cat & a word used in dutch for women who are a little &#39;bitchy&#39;. But with Amalia we will not have that problem of course ;)

Alexandria 12-10-2003 12:53 PM

I think Amalia is pronounced Ah-mah-lee-ah, too. The first attempt at pronounciating the name adds an &#39;R&#39; to the name and there isn&#39;t one.

If it is a Dutch variation of the name Ameila, then instead of Ah-meal-ee-ah, it would be Ah-mah-lee-ah, as Samitude suggested.

Alexandria 12-10-2003 12:56 PM

When Willem announced the names of his daughter, did he explain why the name Catharina-Amalia was chosen? Like when Phillippe of Beligum announced the name of his son Gabriel, he said that he and Mathilde had chosen it because of its Hebrew meaning and that it was found in three different religions.

I know now why Beatrix and Carmen were chosen, but the first name and Victoria? I am curious about that.

maty 12-10-2003 01:09 PM

Actually, I really really like baby Amalia&#39;s name, since my real name is María Amalia. :P
But I didn&#39;t know that Amalia was a name used in the Netherlands, because it&#39;s more common in spanish speaking countries (I&#39;m from Costa Rica).

Anyway, congratulations to lovely princess Máxima and to prince Willem-Alexander for the birth of their cute little princess Catharina-Amalia (I just love that name&#33;&#33;&#33; ;) )

Maty

samitude 12-10-2003 02:48 PM

I believe he said they were advised on the names. They liked Victoria because it means "victorious" or "victor".

The Watcher 12-10-2003 03:18 PM

Catharina and Amalia are names of members of the family in the past. Catharina is the name of the daughter of Willem of Orange. And Maxima and Willem-Alexander both like the names. Willem Alexander told that he and Maxima like the name Catharina-Amalia more than Amalia-Catharina. It sounds better...Catharina-Amalia. And Victoria is chosen because of the meaning of the name. Victory in the end of the name. :flower:

I find it beautiful names, Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria :woot:

royal_sophietje 12-10-2003 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by samitude@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:48 pm
I believe he said they were advised on the names. They liked Victoria because it means "victorious" or "victor".
They weren&#39;t advised.

Alexandria 12-10-2003 03:55 PM

If they were advised, who would do the advising? A court historian? A name expert?

The Watcher 12-10-2003 04:30 PM

Willem-Alexander studied history and because of his position, he is a court historian himself :P

But no, they have chosen the names by themself. B)

Alexandra 12-10-2003 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by norwegianne@Dec 10th, 2003 - 1:28 pm
I have no problem pronouncing it... :innocent: But Norwegian and Dutch are similar in a lot of aspects.

It would&#39;ve been harder to pronounce it Amelia, for me... But again, it&#39;s the Dutch who&#39;re going to be doing the pronouncing.

:flower: I agree completely with you. :flower:

It is the same in Finnish and Swedish as in Norwegian, you pronounce those names (and other words, too) in most cases just so as they are written. Amelia would have been for me much more difficult to pronounce as Amalia. But so it is always with the different languages. English, when written the way as it sounds in our ears, would not seem at all the same language as written in English.
:P An example: In English "How do you do" sounds in my language like "hau du juu duu" :P

The Watcher 12-11-2003 11:50 AM

Pic: This is a tradition.... :flower:

http://www2.telegraaf.nl/multimedia/...pg_172451g.jpg

karolinabraganza 12-11-2003 12:11 PM

doesnt this look rather...ugly? is this really the official coin or did someone do artwork at home on the pc??

also: people complain about the fact that nobody saw until now. i was wondering: both sons of princess margerete appeared with their daughters and son in public carrying the baby on this baptism-like cloth that also amalia was presented on. also constantin did this. is this a tradition?

Alexandria 12-11-2003 12:20 PM

I don&#39;t remember Constantijn doing it with Eloise. The pictures I remember being released of Eloise&#39;s birth were ones taken in a honey-coloured room, and there was a series of them, including one of baby with Constantijn, baby with both parents, baby with Queen Beatrix and one in which Prince Claus is holding his granddaughter. I don&#39;t remember one of Constantijn and baby in a long white gown and presenting Eloise to the press the way Willem did.

The Watcher 12-11-2003 12:45 PM

Sorry, Dutch&#33;
But it is going about Amalia and Gabriel(Belgium). It is still not possible for them to marry :P The government of Belgium have to change the constitution to make a marriage possible. :wacko:

Amalia kan niet trouwen met Gabriel
Belgisch-Nederlands koningshuwelijk ligt ingewikkeld

Het toekomstige huwelijk van het enkele dagen oude prinsesje Catharina-Amalia en het Belgische prinsje Gabriel houdt de gemoederen van juristen al danig bezig. De Belgen kondigden kort na de geboorte aan dat ze een eeuwenoude wet wilden schrappen die een huwelijk tussen leden van het Belgische en Nederlandse koningshuis verbiedt. Maar dat gaat zomaar niet, aldus de deskundigen.

De Belgische Raad van State heeft ontdekt dat het verbod alleen met een grondwetsprocedure kan worden aangepakt, schrijft dagblad De Standaard. Dat betekent dat op zijn vroegst de volgende regering van België er over kan beslissen. Bovendien is in het parlement een tweederde meerderheid nodig.

Het verbod stamt uit 1830, toen de Belgen zich onafhankelijk van Nederland verklaarden. Het voorlopig bewind was bang dat het land via een koninklijk huwelijk alsnog bij de Nederlanden zou komen te horen.

Veel haast heeft het schrappen van het decreet niet. Er zijn nauwelijks Belgische prinsen en prinsessen op huwbare leeftijd. Wel speculeren sommigen al op een echtverbintenis tussen Amalia en Gabriel, het tweede kind van de Belgische kroonprins Filip dat eveneens nog in de wieg ligt.

Lady Jean 12-11-2003 02:44 PM

Of all outfits they chose to depict on this coin is Maxima&#39;s engagement day outfit&#33; It looks silly, especially w/her holding the baby.

I love the other side of the coin w/the monogram.

Poppy 12-12-2003 06:17 AM

So there are not yet new photos of Maxima after the birth of the princess??

monaco70s 12-12-2003 10:58 AM

Do you think they&#39;re somehow planning marrying Gabriel and Catharina-Amalia already :o ?

royal_sophietje 12-12-2003 03:20 PM

No. It&#39;s just something diplomatic to bring Belgium and the Netherlands more closer to each other.

The Watcher 12-12-2003 05:46 PM

A other coin.... :innocent:

http://www.muntpost.nl/images/geboorte_ag_au.gif

The Watcher 12-12-2003 05:47 PM

...and a spoon, because of the birth of Princess Catharina-Amalia :flower:

http://www.muntpost.nl/images/geboortelepel500.jpg

liv 12-13-2003 01:33 AM

The stork seems to be very important... :P

Cathérine Bergeyck 12-13-2003 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by monaco70s@Dec 12th, 2003 - 9:58 am
Do you think they&#39;re somehow planning marrying Gabriel and Catharina-Amalia already :o ?
No it was just a retarted law that will probably be abolished (it hasn&#39;t happened yet).

The law was created when Belgium was founded (so around 1830) to prevent that a Dutch prince would marry a Belgian princess and take over the Belgian throne. Because before the Belgian independance, Belgium was a part of the Netherlands.

Helena 12-13-2003 08:49 AM

Quote:

The stork seems to be very important...
well, Amalia is born in the city of The Hague and guess which bird is in their coat of arms? ...yes a stork ;)

Elizajane 12-13-2003 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 9th, 2003 - 3:06 pm
Is the French version of Catharina-Amalia&#39;s name Amelie (like in the movie with Audrey Tatou)? And the English version is Amelia, right?
While on the subject of movies and the name of " .. Amalia ..", a strange coincidence happened last evening ~ while I was watching the movie, "The House of Spirits", (starring Jeremy Irons, Meryl Streep, Winona Rider, Antonio Banderas, and Glenn Close). It was a movie about "revolutionary Argentina" where Jeremy Irons plays "a conservative senator" and "a patron" ~ rancher? farmer? ~ named "Estaban" and his wife is "Clara" (Meryl Streep), and their daughter (Winona Ryder) is named "Blanca". Blanca suffered as an "establishment upstart" along with her daughter&#39;s father, "Pedro", (Antonio Banderas) who constantly had to hide from sure death as he was a "counter - revolutionary" ~ and their only daughter&#39;s name was " .. Alma .. ".

The story ends with the life of "Alma" ~ the granddaughter of "Clara" who could summon the "spirits" on "the other side" and who gave encouragement to all members of her family ~ even after her death through the "spirits". I have seen this movie once before and it wasn&#39;t that much of a success ~ so, I wondered about it being broadcasted at and around the time as the delivery and naming of CP Willem-Alexander&#39;s and CP Maxima&#39;s child ~ "Catharina-Amalia" ~ as Maxima is from Argentina.

Please correct me if I&#39;ve made a mistake in relating this movie to the group. I welcome constructive criticism. The discussion about " -AMALIA" part of her name ~ set in the country of Argentina ~ seems rather coincidental to me in it&#39;s close proximetry to the given name "ALMA" and the birth country of CP Maxima. I imagine a "spirit or two" might have visited me last night while I watched this quite infrequent movie ~ "The House of Spirits".

Elizajane :unsure:

paulette 12-13-2003 12:37 PM

I like her name, Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria. It doesn&#39;t sound like an old fashioned name because it is a combination of many fabulous names.

When new royal babies are born, we don&#39;t expect their names to be the modern ones because their names are always derived from their royal ancestors. And their ancestors have names that sounds great. I would even prefer names that are from the past compared to names invented now&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: Maybe recently used not really invented&#33; And their names are always more than three or four&#33;

We can&#39;t tell the Queen or the King to change it because that&#39;s what they have planned already&#33; Looking forward on her christening day. I am excited to know her godparents.. :)

paulette 12-13-2003 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Hague, Netherlands - One of the Dutch Magazines, Nieuwe Revu, has made a compilation of the birth-photo of baby Amalia with the hair of Queen Beatrix. This has been done because of the comment of Prince Willem-Alexander, when he told the press, that Amalia had a lot of hair.

Princess Catharina is already a subject of the press&#33; :)

paulette 12-13-2003 01:57 PM

she looks like Queen Beatrix. As what I have observed form the picture :)
I don&#39;t like her to have that hair.

OniMichi 12-13-2003 04:17 PM

That makes three royal babies (unless I&#39;m missing Eloise, I don&#39;t know much about the Dutch, sorry):

Gabriel, Louise, and Amalia.

urraca 12-13-2003 05:10 PM

Amalia is also a very common name in Argentina without going so far in the House of Spirits. A very charming and rich business woman in Argentina is also Amalia and relatives call her Amalita. I personally like all her names. Good fortune and health for HRH Catharina-Amalia........ :heart:

Helena 12-13-2003 06:35 PM

House of the spirits is about Chile, not Argentina. The author of the book isIsabelle Allende, daughter of the murdered presedent Allende (of Chile). His &#39;successor who staged the coup d&#39;etat was the terrible General Augusto Pinochet. I do believe that the coup d&#39;etat in Chile happened around the same time as the Videla-regime in Argentina (with Maxima&#39;s father as secretary of agriculture) was in power. Terrible regimes, both of them, with fascist methods.

Alexandra 12-13-2003 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Watcher@Dec 12th, 2003 - 11:46 pm
A other coin.... :innocent:

http://www.muntpost.nl/images/geboorte_ag_au.gif

These coins are a bit better than the other ones, indeed.

moosey60 12-13-2003 08:40 PM

Catharina-Amalia DOES have a name derived from her ancestors though...

This is an older story:

Princess Catharina-Amalia?

8 December 2003

AMSTERDAM – Despite the fact that Prince Willem-Alexander was not expected to announce the name of the Netherlands future queen until Tuesday morning, it was being reported on Monday that the baby girl&#39;s name will probably be Catharina-Amalia.

A check of websites attached to the IP address of the official internet website of the Dutch Royal Family has uncovered the name Catharina-Amalia, a nu.nl news report said.

Upon retrieval of the IP address for the site www.koninklijkhuis.nl, the following address is given: 193.78.30.30. But if you request a list of sites that are using that same IP address, a list of interesting names is found.

The sites www.catharina-amalia.nl/ and www.prinsescatharina-amalia.nl/ have been registered since 7 December under the name of the Stichting Sigillis Regiis Praesidio, a foundation which was set up to protect the royal family from commercial exploitation.

The registered websites direct internet users back to a page on the royal family website announcing the birth of the second-in-line heir to the Dutch throne. Moreover, they are difficult to open or give error messages.

IP addresses are codes that refer to matching websites and the website http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.vbs.asp gives an oversight of all registered domain names. If the IP address 193.78.30.30 is inputted, an internet user is given a list of registered internet sites and the name Catharina-Amalia features prominently.

Princess Maxima, the wife of Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, gave birth to the couple&#39;s first child at 5.01pm on Sunday. The baby girl was perfectly healthy, weighed 3.31kg and will become the latest in a long line of queens in the Netherlands.

Her name has not yet been officially announced, but the government information service RVD confirmed on Monday that Willem-Alexander will register the child&#39;s birth with municipal authorities in The Hague on Tuesday, at which time the baby&#39;s name is expected to be revealed. The prince will be officially received at the Oude Stadhuis (Old City Hall) at 10am.

Meanwhile, the name Amalia appears several times in the House of Orange family tree. The most well known, Amalia van Solms (1602-1675), was the wife of Frederik Hendrik (1584-1647).

The most recent is Amalia van Sachsen-Weimar (1830-1872), who was the first wife of Prince Hendrik (1820-1879). Prince Hendrik is the uncle of Queen Wilhelmina. The other Amalia is Henriette Amalia van Anhalt-Dessau (1666-1726), who was the mother Johan Willem Friso (1687-1711).

Looking further into the family tree and the combination of Catharina Amalia is found. The great, great grandson of Willem of Orange, Philipp van Hesse-Philippsthal, married Catharina Amalia van Solms-Laubach, who was also family of Willem van Orange. Many members of the European nobility in centuries past were related to each other.

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_articl...1&story_id=2935

Elizajane 12-14-2003 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Helena@Dec 13th, 2003 - 5:35 pm
House of the spirits is about Chile, not Argentina. The author of the book isIsabelle Allende, daughter of the murdered presedent Allende (of Chile). His &#39;successor who staged the coup d&#39;etat was the terrible General Augusto Pinochet. I do believe that the coup d&#39;etat in Chile happened around the same time as the Videla-regime in Argentina (with Maxima&#39;s father as secretary of agriculture) was in power. Terrible regimes, both of them, with fascist methods.
Thank you, Helena, for correcting me. I had no idea that movie represented Chile instead of Argentina. I crave learning and so far I&#39;ve learned quite a lot from this group. As far as the name of "Catherina-Amalia" is concerned, I think it&#39;s lovely and very regal along with the names of the grandmothers. I sure wish I could find a photo of Maxima holding her child, or even seeing Maxima, since their daughter has made her grand entrance upon the world stage. They both must be so proud &#33; :heart: :P :heart:

Tiegerschnuffel19 12-14-2003 11:55 AM

:huh: Does anyone know when we will see pictures of Maxima and the baby ?

royal_sophietje 12-14-2003 03:36 PM

There is nothing announced, so we just have to wait&#33;&#33;&#33;

Josefine 12-16-2003 12:40 PM

that is a doll... not the real princes.... :P

Alexandria 12-16-2003 12:47 PM

What event is this outfit for that Maxima is getting fitted for? Catharina&#39;s baptism? Anyhow, she looks great considering she just gave birth a bit more than a week ago. How do these royal ladies look so good so soon after giving birth? Facing the public for formal presentation pictures of your new royal baby just a mere days after delivering him or her? Yikes&#33; But I liked how Willem presented his daughter in this case so that Maxima could rest up.

Josefine 12-16-2003 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 16th, 2003 - 5:47 pm
What event is this outfit for that Maxima is getting fitted for? Catharina&#39;s baptism? Anyhow, she looks great considering she just gave birth a bit more than a week ago. How do these royal ladies look so good so soon after giving birth? Facing the public for formal presentation pictures of your new royal baby just a mere days after delivering him or her? Yikes&#33; But I liked how Willem presented his daughter in this case so that Maxima could rest up.
here is the text that belongs to the picture
Polfoto 16-12-2003 NLD20031216- AMSTERDAM: Monique Collgnon of the Wax Museum in Amsterdam ajusts the last buttons at Princess Maxima&#39;s new jacket watched by Prince Willem-Alexander, 16 December 2003 the Netherlands. After the Princess gave birth to her first child last week the pregnant Maxima was replaced today by the slim one in a new outfit.

Hélène 12-16-2003 02:50 PM

She looks so happy. :)

And I kinda like that jacket too... ;)

Dennism 12-16-2003 04:28 PM

They are going to talk about Amalia and other Royal news tonight (Dec 16) on Larry King Live on CNN.

Alexandria 12-16-2003 04:51 PM

Thanks for the tip Dennism&#33; Whenever Larry King has a royalty topic on his show it is nearly always about the British royals, so very refreshing to see the Dutch royals beign mentioned&#33;

Juliane 12-16-2003 05:25 PM

This is the synopsis from the CNN home page
"It&#39;s been quite a year for the British royal family. Rumors of more scandal, a bombshell book by former royal butler Paul Burrell and the coming-of-age of Princess Diana&#39;s sons. A panel of experts takes a look at the latest royal news."
It doesn&#39;t sound like the Dutch Royals will be the conversation centerpiece this time either. :(

Dennism 12-16-2003 05:40 PM

Oops. It said a royal birth&#33; And I immediately thought of Amalia. D&#39;oh. Anyway, I knew it was going to mention WIlliam too.

Alexandria 12-16-2003 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 16th, 2003 - 12:07 pm
here is the text that belongs to the picture
Polfoto 16-12-2003 NLD20031216- AMSTERDAM: Monique Collgnon of the Wax Museum in Amsterdam ajusts the last buttons at Princess Maxima&#39;s new jacket watched by Prince Willem-Alexander, 16 December 2003 the Netherlands. After the Princess gave birth to her first child last week the pregnant Maxima was replaced today by the slim one in a new outfit.

If you read this caption closely, it is NOT Maxima in the picture, but her wax duplicate. Read this line carefully:

After the Princess gave birth to her first child last week the pregnant Maxima was replaced today by the slim one in a new outfit.

And if you look equally as carefully at the picture, it is clearly just a very good wax replicate of Maxima, not the CP herself.

Alisa 12-16-2003 08:59 PM

They aren&#39;t very good in my opinion. They look too pale.

Dennism 12-16-2003 09:21 PM

It does look rather pale for Maxima. Good point.

happy 12-17-2003 11:38 AM

:flower: I am behind with the times - didn&#39;t even realise that the baby was here&#33; Amalia - that was Prins Frederik Hendrik&#39;s wife (17th century). Hopping to the royal pages to read the news now&#33;

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New pictures of amalia and her parents&#33; :heart:

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With her parent Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima&#33;

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Princess Amalia with her parents and grandmother&#33;

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Princess Amalia with er grandmother alone. ;)

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a bigger picture of amalia

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
zoom in photo with amalia&#39;s parents&#33;

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
amalia in the arms of her grandmother&#33;

xxPatrickxx 12-19-2003 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Amalia in the arms of Princess Máxima&#33;

Alexandria 12-19-2003 10:26 AM

Some (all&#33;) very sweet pictures here Patje. Thank you for sharing them.

The last one of both Willem and Maxima&#39;s hands on Catharina is adorable. As is the fifth picture down of just Catharina.

sara1981 12-19-2003 10:55 AM

nice pictures.

I like Queen Beatrix with granddaughter for pose pictures and also Princess Maxima and Prince Willem.

Sara Boyce

monaco70s 12-19-2003 11:03 AM

Great pics :woot: ;)