The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Norway (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Norwegian royals lighting the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norwegian-royals-lighting-the-christmas-tree-in-trafalgar-square-13972.html)

lasu 08-26-2003 10:49 PM

Norwegian royals lighting the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square

This is the full picture that accompanies the Hello text. They cut it for the article, but this is the view if you click on it.

From hello.com:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/2003/08...ette-dop1a.jpg

Alexandria 08-27-2003 09:21 AM

The picture was taken during the official tree lighting ceremony in Trafalgar Square in London last Christmas or the one before that. Mette-Marit also gave her first English speech at the occasion. There are more pictures which I have on my computer at home that I can post later or if anyone else has acess to them now, please post them!

Alexandria 11-29-2003 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
GETTY IMAGES - Crown Princess Mette Marit of Norway attends a Christmas tree lighting ceremony December 6, 2001 in Trafalgar Square, London. The Christmas tree was donated to London by the people of Oslo to thank them for their support during the Second World War.

Josefine 12-04-2003 10:06 AM

Lighting the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square

do you think they will travel to london and light the christmas tree this year as they did last year.

Alexandria 12-04-2003 10:18 AM

I don't think they'll be going too far away from Norway in the next couple of months. Haakon has a lot of duties and responsibilities now that he is acting as Regeant and stepping in for his father. I'm sure Haakon and Mette-Marit will want to spend time with the King, too, as he recovers. And Mette-Marit is in her last trimester, so she cannot fly, and with they baby due next month, they will have to prepare for him or her.

Too much to do this year to travel to London to light the tree. Maybe next year with the new baby and King Harald in better health. Or maybe Martha Louise, Ari and Maud can make the trip to light it.

Josefine 12-04-2003 10:25 AM

Martha Louise would be the best chooice

sara1981 12-04-2003 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 4th, 2003 - 10:18 am
I don't think they'll be going too far away from Norway in the next couple of months. Haakon has a lot of duties and responsibilities now that he is acting as Regeant and stepping in for his father. I'm sure Haakon and Mette-Marit will want to spend time with the King, too, as he recovers. And Mette-Marit is in her last trimester, so she cannot fly, and with they baby due next month, they will have to prepare for him or her.

Too much to do this year to travel to London to light the tree. Maybe next year with the new baby and King Harald in better health. Or maybe Martha Louise, Ari and Maud can make the trip to light it.

i agree with you!

Crown Princess M-M would have baby in month anyday! she would stay in Norway and Crown Prince Haakon would have lots to do for his dad because his dad is sick with diease of cancer.

maybe next year when baby grew-up then will go or not! maybe will hire nanny or his parents who loves grandchildren to care of baby!

Sara Boyce

Torkel 12-04-2003 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 4th, 2003 - 10:06 am
do you think they will travel to london and light the christmas tree this year as they did last year.
The Royals only do this lightening occasionally, not every year. The tree is a gift from the City of Oslo to the City of London as a sort of "thank you" for WWII support. I believe the Mayor of Oslo will (or has perhaps already) light the tree this year.

There are similar Norwegian trees in Berlin and Hamburg (gifts from other Norwegian cities). I don't know how many years they've had this tradition, though it has (obviously) nothing to do with WWII. Crown Prince Haakon lightened the Berlin tree in Dec 2000 I believe.

Josefine 12-04-2003 05:56 PM

I thought that they "someone from the royal family" went to London every year
thank you for telling us

Mandy 11-18-2004 12:06 AM

7 Attachment(s)
December 5, 1996 - Queen Sonja accompanied by Prince Andrew turned on the Christmas tree lights in Trafalgar Square, London.
APL Pictures

Mandy 11-18-2004 02:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
December 6, 2002 - Haakon and Mette-Marit turned on the Christmas tree lights in Trafalgar Square, London. APL Pictures.

Larzen 10-31-2006 06:05 PM

Haakon and Mette-Marit is going to London on december 7th to turn on the christmasthree which is a gift from oslo as a token of the help the Brittish gave norway during the war. Mette-Marit will light it, Haakon will be in attendance as will the Mayor of Oslo

They have done this twice before, one time each but they have been there together both times

thanks to Ken on the SRMB
http://members3.boardhost.com/scandi...162313873.html

rominet09 10-31-2006 08:18 PM

Great honour !

sm1939 11-01-2006 04:05 AM

I know what date they are coming but I wonder what time they will be lighting the lights????

rominet09 12-06-2006 07:50 PM

Nice pix, I am looking forward for Christmas pix and film like the previous years

sm1939 12-07-2006 04:14 AM

They are now coming to the Uk today arent they do , to switch the lights on the christmas tree ! Im hoping to get some picture,

royalist 12-07-2006 03:18 PM

No infos or photos of the today's event in London??

Avalon 12-07-2006 03:28 PM

Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Marius partecipated in the Christmas three lighting ceremony at Trafalger Square in London, 07 December 2006.

Pictures:
The Family with Mayor of Oslo and his wife
Haakon, Mette-Marit, Marius and Ingrid Alexandra
Ingrid Alexandra and Marius help Haakon and Mette-Marit to start the lights of the Christmas tree

Princess Mette-Marit makes a speech, as Haakon and Ingrid Alexandra watch
Mette-Marit and Ingrid Alexandra
Haakon and Ingrid Alexandra
Haakon and Mette-Marit

Mette-Marit makes a speech
Mette-Marit

royalist 12-07-2006 03:38 PM

Thank you Avalon! Unfortunately I couln't see the pictures...

Lucidu 12-07-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon
Norwegian Prince Sverre Magnus, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Crown Princess Mette-Marit partecipate in the Christmas three lighting ceremony at Trafalger Square in London, 07 December 2006.

More pics
http://www.polfoto.dk/polfoto/search...t2=mette+marit