The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Prince Harry and Prince William (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Spencer Relationships (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/spencer-relationships-13893.html)

lashinka2002 05-31-2005 08:50 AM

Spencer Relationships

Does anyone have pics of Prince William & Earl Spencer that we can compare?
I saw a pic in Hello and the similarities were astounding - even the same down to posture. Please post if you have. Thanks!

http://www.hello-magazine.co.uk/roya...ncer-dop1a.jpg

corazon 05-31-2005 06:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
About this one type of comparation you were speaking?

Elspeth 05-31-2005 08:09 PM

I don't see all that much of a resemblance. Earl Spencer is beginning to show his relationship to Winston Churchill, though!

lashinka2002 06-01-2005 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corazon
About this one type of comparation you were speaking?

Yes, thank you Corazon.
I see some similarities but not as many as I thought I would. I'm guessing that Earl probably looked much more like William when he was younger. Maybe someone has pics.

Nichola 06-01-2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
I don't see all that much of a resemblance. Earl Spencer is beginning to show his relationship to Winston Churchill, though!

I agree.

They do have 'some' resemblances, but I tend to think William is inheriting more and more of his father's manerisms these days. I tend to think Charles tends to sometimes look awkward (eg, he continuously has his hand in his pocket etc) and I've noticed William doing the same.

Idriel 08-19-2005 05:08 PM

A Spencer on the Throne of England

Many years ago, I read an historic novel about some British Prince. I have hardly no recollection of this book but I remember it would include a Spencer. At the end of the book, a note by the author would specify that because of some treacherous (or so) action this Spencer character did, it was made certain that a Spencer would never sit on the throne of England.
The author would add that with William, that wow would be broken.
I really don't remember any further details so if anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about, please post information.
Thanks.

Mapple 08-19-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idriel
Many years ago, I read an historic novel about some British Prince. I have hardly no recollection of this book but I remember it would include a Spencer. At the end of the book, a note by the author would specify that because of some treacherous (or so) action this Spencer character did, it was made certain that a Spencer would never sit on the throne of England.
I really don't remember any further details so if anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about, please post information.
Thanks.

1) Erm... James II wasn't fond of the Earl of Sunderland... But I think that was an artistic licence on part of the author.
2) Prince William of Wales is not a Spencer. His family name is different. :)

iowabelle 08-19-2005 05:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I wonder if that included the previous Lady Diana Spencer.

Mapple 08-19-2005 05:31 PM

The Act of Settlement didn't exclude the Spencers, that's for sure.

ysbel 08-19-2005 05:33 PM

William is a Windsor or a Mountbatten Windsor whichever name they're using now.

Ennyllorac 08-19-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapple

William is a Spencer. It may not be part of his name but he still is a Spencer. In some parts of the world he would use the Spencer as his second last name. His father's would be first followed by the his mother's.

tiaraprin 08-19-2005 09:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

You may be referring to Frederick, Prince of Wales, son of George II and Caroline of Ansbach. There was a hate/hate relationship between Frederick and his parents and he wanted desperately to not have to rely on them for money and set up his own rival court.

In walks Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough who had a beautiful granddaughter in the first Lady Diana Spencer. The Duchess of Marlborough detested the royal family and saw her way to undermine it and yet get her granddaughter a crown if she offered Frederick a big enough dowry to marry Lady Diana. Frederick accepted but was found out by Prime Minister Walpole and stopped just in time.

Frederick went on to marry Augusta of Hesse-Cassel and is the father of King George III. Frederick died young, before his father. Lady Diana Spencer married Lord Russell and then became the Duchess of Rutland. She died young of a fatal illness.

The second Lady Diana Spencer married Charles, Prince of Wales. Ironic isn't it?

Elspeth 08-19-2005 09:31 PM

It certainly is. There was quite a lot of talk of that first Lady Diana during the time of Charles and Diana's courtship and engagement.

Mapple 08-20-2005 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
William is a Spencer. It may not be part of his name but he still is a Spencer. In some parts of the world he would use the Spencer as his second last name. His father's would be first followed by the his mother's.

Nevertheless, he lives in another part of the world. He is not a Spencer unless King William V is going to amend the family name of the British royal family. :)

Mapple 08-20-2005 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Yes William is a Windsor, but he has Spencer blood from his mother. He is in the Spencer family geneology as well as the Windsor geneology. Enough said.

A half of the British aristocracy is in the Spencer family genealogy, I presume.

Idriel 08-20-2005 07:51 AM

Quote:

What I meant (and what the author ment too), is that William has Spencer blood, his mother is a Spencer. I did not refered to his familly name.
Thank you all for your answers :) .
Tiarapin, your proposition is the best so far but I'm not quite convinced yet...
Do you know if after the marriage was failed, the King made a public (or at least known) wish that a Spencer should never access the Throne? That's what the author clearly stated in the infamous book. Of course it was not passed as a law Mapple :) . It was just a wish (but isn't a royal wish a bit of a law? Hum...).
I'm sorry I don't give much details but that was a long time ago.

tiaraprin 08-20-2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

Tiarapin, your proposition is the best so far but I'm not quite convinced yet...
Do you know if after the marriage was failed, the King made a public (or at least known) wish that a Spencer should never access the Throne? That's what the author clearly stated in the infamous book.

You have been reading an historical novel. While the basic facts are there, the author can take dramatic license and add his/her flavor to things to make the novel more interesting than just the basic facts Idriel.

As far as I know, King George II's reaction stayed mainly among his family and courtiers. He was not "amused" by what Frederick tried to do and was angry at the Duchess of Marlborough. At that time, commoners did not marry the Prince of Wales. Perhaps he said a Spencer could not marry into the family simply because they were commoners.

sara1981 08-20-2005 02:56 PM

Prince William and Prince Harry is part of Spencer Family since both was born in 1982 and 1984.

but i do part of Spence Family since i was grown-up also because of my mom's family side also because my mom's family come from Scotland.

Sara Boyce

Mapple 08-20-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin

As far as I know, King George II's reaction stayed mainly among his family and courtiers. He was not "amused" by what Frederick tried to do and was angry at the Duchess of Marlborough. At that time, commoners did not marry the Prince of Wales. Perhaps he said a Spencer could not marry into the family simply because they were commoners.

All in all there was no love lost between King George II and the Prince of Wales. Frederick married a German Princess, but the King didn't like her and banished them from the Court.

tiaraprin 08-20-2005 03:25 PM

Quote:

All in all there was no love lost between King George II and the Prince of Wales. Frederick married a German Princess, but the King didn't like her and banished them from the Court.

He never hated Augusta of Saxe-Gotha. He hated his son and what he did to make sure they were not present at the birth of his first child. Augusta went into labor early at 8 months and Frederick put her in a coach to have the baby where his parents were not present. (King George II and Queen Caroline doubted that Frederick was able to have a child and wanted to be there to verify the birth--they thought of the warming pan scheme of the past). Augusta got to the new location just in time to give birth to a daughter named Augusta (sister of George III). This is why Frederick was banned from court and of course Augusta had to follow him.

However, with the birth of a tiny, weakling daughter, Queen Caroline said that had to be her son's child.