The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Titles of the Wessex Children (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f114/titles-of-the-wessex-children-13729.html)

acdc1 09-02-2007 03:46 PM

Titles of the Wessex Children

I couldn't find a thread on this. I know that they want their kids styled as children of an Earl. I don't know if they'll have any more kids after this one, but if this child is a boy, he will be Viscount Severn. If they had one more child, and it was a boy, would it be the Hon. X Windsor?

branchg 09-02-2007 03:48 PM

Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor

Iluvbertie 09-02-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 661538)
I couldn't find a thread on this. I know that they want their kids styled as children of an Earl. I don't know if they'll have any more kids after this one, but if this child is a boy, he will be Viscount Severn. If they had one more child, and it was a boy, would it be the Hon. X Windsor?

As the children of an Earl they are all Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor (the same as the children of Earl Spencer are Lord/Lady Spencer) but the eldest son and heir is allowed to use the courtesy title of the current title-holder's second title e.g. Viscount Severn in the same way as Viscount Linley (Princess Margaret's son) uses this title as the eldest son and heir of his father Earl Snowdon (not because he is the son of Princess Margaret but because his father was given a title).

acdc1 09-03-2007 10:20 AM

In the Wikipedia artcle on Earls, it says that the eldest son takes the highest lesser title of his father as a courtesy title, so in this case it would be Viscount Severn. All daughters of the Earl are styled as Lady (Forename) (Surname), which Louise is. Any younger sons are styled as The Honourable (Forename) (Surname). Would this be different since Edward is a prince?

Claire 09-03-2007 12:40 PM

No different.
The only problem I have is that when Edward becames a Duke if he has a son does he became the earl?

selrahc4 09-03-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 661914)
No different.
The only problem I have is that when Edward becames a Duke if he has a son does he became the earl?

He wouldn't become the Earl, but he would use the title as a courtesy title.

Lady Marmalade 09-03-2007 04:24 PM

Even though legally they ARE His/Her Royal Highnesses Prince/Princess...

Jo of Palatine 09-04-2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 661833)
In the Wikipedia artcle on Earls, it says that the eldest son takes the highest lesser title of his father as a courtesy title, so in this case it would be Viscount Severn. All daughters of the Earl are styled as Lady (Forename) (Surname), which Louise is. Any younger sons are styled as The Honourable (Forename) (Surname). Would this be different since Edward is a prince?

It's different with Royal Earls, I think. Second sons of "normal" earls are just The Honorable, but with a Royal earl as father, I guess it'd be "Lord (Forname) Mountbatten-Windsor. As it is meant that Edward will end up a Royal Duke one day and his son (in case there is one) a duke, it won't be a problem anyway.

branchg 09-21-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade (Post 662015)
Even though legally they ARE His/Her Royal Highnesses Prince/Princess...

Correct. All of Edward and Sophie's children are automatically HRH Prince/Princess of the UK as male-line grandchildren of The Sovereign under the 1917 Letters Patent of George V.

They are being styled as the children of an Earl at the request of their parents, but this is simply a request, not a change in their title or rank.

Georgia 09-27-2007 07:40 PM

I thought that there had been a change in law after Lady Louise was born but I looked into it and no, there wasn't.
I suppose its a little like Camilla, she really is Princess of Wales although she is styled as Duchess of Cornwall just as after Charles becomes King she will be Queen but styled as Princess Consort. You can do anything when you're Royal!!

morhange 09-27-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine (Post 662298)
It's different with Royal Earls, I think. Second sons of "normal" earls are just The Honorable, but with a Royal earl as father, I guess it'd be "Lord (Forname) Mountbatten-Windsor. As it is meant that Edward will end up a Royal Duke one day and his son (in case there is one) a duke, it won't be a problem anyway.

No, I think royal earls are the same as regular earls. It's only applicable for when a royal earl is using earl as a courtesy title, I think. If Louise had been a boy, and this second child had been a boy, I'm sure he probably would have been known as The Honourable NN Windsor.

branchg 09-27-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia (Post 672652)
I thought that there had been a change in law after Lady Louise was born but I looked into it and no, there wasn't.
I suppose its a little like Camilla, she really is Princess of Wales although she is styled as Duchess of Cornwall just as after Charles becomes King she will be Queen but styled as Princess Consort. You can do anything when you're Royal!!

Well, right now, Camilla is HRH The Princess Charles by marriage, in addition to all of the titles held by the wife of the heir to the throne (Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness Renfrew and Princess of Scotland).

Once Charles becomes King, she doesn't have a choice in titles as the wife of The Sovereign and is automatically Queen. Unless Parliament passes legislation agreeing otherwise, she cannot hold the lesser title and rank of a Princess once she becomes Queen Consort.

principessa 04-23-2008 12:52 PM

If I would meet Lady Louise or Viscount Severn (I am not expecting that this will happen), and I am talking to them and adress them as Princess or Prince, would I get problems?

Claire 04-24-2008 11:51 AM

If they are anything like their folks they would constantly correct you.

Clare Niadna 06-10-2008 09:23 AM

I believe that another girl would be Lady, but a younger son would be the"Honorable". If Edward becomes a duke, younger son would then be Lord.

Elspeth 06-10-2008 07:45 PM

Considering how creative the royal family is being with titles and styles these days, I wouldn't be surprised to see a younger son called "Lord X Mountbatten-Windsor" rather than "The Honourable..." It just seems rather unfair to refer to someone as simply "The Hon. X" when he's really HRH Prince X.

PrinceOfCanada 06-10-2008 11:07 PM

In that vein, Elspeth, it might end up being HRH Prince X, The Honourable Y, much like Alexandra is HRH Pss Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy (showing the one title in precedence in her own right, and that derived from her husband; similarly a child could theoretically be named HRH P X, T H Y showing the first by absolute birthright, the Honourable derived from his father).

All this nonsense aside.. one wishes, somewhat, that EIIR would issue a LP with a blanket amendment to all remainders providing for strict primogeniture amongst children of peers.

Velasco 12-01-2008 01:17 PM

From what I understand, the Earl and Countess have requested that their children be treated as "normal" children of an Earl, in terms of title, etc. But no official change is made, so when they are older they can themselves decide whether they wish to pertain to royal rank, with HRH Prince/Princess, or to act as "mere" aristocracy.

Suonymona 12-02-2008 03:25 AM

I think if they tried to act as "mere aristocracy", Sophie would give 'em a boot up their backsides.

wbenson 12-02-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada (Post 777676)
All this nonsense aside.. one wishes, somewhat, that EIIR would issue a LP with a blanket amendment to all remainders providing for strict primogeniture amongst children of peers.

I know this is old and the user is no longer among us, but for everyone else, she can't do that. It takes an Act of Parliament to amend a peerage like that.