The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Is Camilla a Catholic? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/is-camilla-a-catholic-13437.html)

sm1939 08-01-2007 04:56 AM

Is Camilla a Catholic?

I was whatching this programme last night on channel Five ,
that said that camilla was a catholic, I thought the Prince wouldnt be allowed to marry a catholic ? am I wrong in both of these statements???

Jo of Palatine 08-01-2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1939 (Post 647917)
that said that camilla was a catholic, I thought the Prince wouldnt be allowed to marry a catholic ? am I wrong in both of these statements???

Whatever Camilla and Charles may be believing in in private, officially they are both CoE. And yes, you're right, if Camilla was a Catholic, Charles as her husband would loose his right to the throne.

Henri M. 08-01-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1939 (Post 647917)

Camilla Rosemary Windsor-Mountbatten née Shand formerly Parker Bowles is Anglican.

In her first marriage she was married to Andrew Parker Bowles, who is a Roman-Catholic. Her children Tom and Laura Parker Bowles were raised Roman-Catholic and did attend Roman-Catholic primary schools. After this Tom attended Eton, while Laura attended a Roman-Catholic convent school in Shaftesbury (Saint Mary's Convent).

Camilla however remained faithful to the Church of England and did not convert to the Church of Rome. So she is no Roman-Catholic.

:flowers:

sm1939 08-01-2007 06:24 AM

Thank you for the information,
the TV programme made out that she was roman Catholic from birth. anyway
now I know the truth. once again thanks

wymanda 08-01-2007 07:33 AM

[quote=sm1939;647939]
the TV programme made out that she was roman Catholic from birth./quote]

Obviously one of those many programs which set out to denigrate our wonderful Duchess and spread lies about her. :bang::bang::bang:

Jo of Palatine 08-01-2007 07:44 AM

[quote=wymanda;647970]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1939 (Post 647939)
the TV programme made out that she was roman Catholic from birth./quote]

Obviously one of those many programs which set out to denigrate our wonderful Duchess and spread lies about her. :bang::bang::bang:

Hey, hey, hey - I was a Roman Catholic by birth - that's not soooooo bad.:rofl: I mean, I'm not longer a member so for me it wasn't "it" but still.... ;)

CarolMR 08-01-2007 07:56 AM

Denigrate? I didn't know the British are so biased against Roman Catholics!

BeatrixFan 08-01-2007 10:53 AM

Oh yes. We even eat them sometimes.

marlene 08-01-2007 10:59 AM

Dear Wymanda,
I think you owe the Roman Catholics in the forum an apology for your comment, I'm going to assume you didn't mean to be so disrespectful.

BeatrixFan 08-01-2007 11:02 AM

I think what Wymanda meant was that this was a programme intended to make her seem unfit for Royal service, I don't think she meant any slur on Catholics at all.

bbb 08-01-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 648066)
Oh yes. We even eat them sometimes.

:lol:laugh outloud post of the day

either they were wrong in their facts (which the media seems to be alot these days) or malicious and trying to cause trouble for the duchess. stirring up a religious question to add fire to the debate of camilla becoming queen. it's a low blow and dispicable if it was done for that purpose.:bang:

Empress 08-01-2007 12:04 PM

Play nice ladies. I am sure that no one meant any harm by any of their posts, and I am sure that wymanda was not out to slur any religion.

HRH Kerry 08-01-2007 12:20 PM

Definitely an err in reporting. The BRF couldn't possibly cover-up Prince Charles marrying an catholic without stating he would renounce his rights to the thrown.

Elspeth 08-01-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbb (Post 648092)
:lol:laugh outloud post of the day

either they were wrong in their facts (which the media seems to be alot these days) or malicious and trying to cause trouble for the duchess. stirring up a religious question to add fire to the debate of camilla becoming queen. it's a low blow and dispicable if it was done for that purpose.:bang:

There was a lot of talk about it at the time the Prince married Camilla. Some people had heard something about Catholic, not realised that it was only Andrew Parker-Bowles and not both of them who were Catholic, and starting going on about how Charles shouldn't be marrying a Catholic (and some of course were gleefully announcing that he'd have to give up his position in the line of succession, serve him right, etc etc). And you know how it is on the Internet - someone makes an authoritative and dead wrong statement, and it's out there for other people to read and believe.

It would be against the law for Charles to have married a Catholic and retained his position in the line of succession. It wouldn't have been possible.

As to whether this was someone at Channel 5 being ignorant or someone being malicious in order to either attack Charles (or Camilla) or boost ratings based on a piece of known nonsense, we may well never know. But apparently the BBC isn't the only TV channel exploiting the royals for the sake of publicity.

HRH Kerry 08-01-2007 12:33 PM

Sometimes people need to be held responsible for their actions. Tabloids printing speculation about an affair is one thing but to threaten part of what an institution stands for or belives in is another. To actually state that a member of the BRF is a catholic is slander. This program if widely aired can possibly cause dissension in the very people who hold the institution in high regard. On the other hand, ammunition to the ones who don't believe in that very institution. Someone at the top of this network (or whoever produced the program) needs to be held accountable.

BeatrixFan 08-01-2007 12:35 PM

It's hardly slander. Being a Catholic isn't the same as being an axe-murderer.

HRH Kerry 08-01-2007 12:39 PM

I am not talking about being catholic or any other religion. What I am talking about is lies. Cut and dry.

Jo of Palatine 08-01-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 648075)
I think what Wymanda meant was that this was a programme intended to make her seem unfit for Royal service, I don't think she meant any slur on Catholics at all.

I think so, too and tried to make a joke about it. I just hope I did not point Catholics to the posting so their feelings got hurt. Sorry, dear Wymanda and sorry, dear Catholics, if that happened. :flowers:

BeatrixFan 08-01-2007 12:48 PM

Yes but not all lies equal slander. Saying someone is a Catholic when they're not is a mistake not slander.

HRH Kerry 08-01-2007 01:01 PM

But the point is was it a simple mistake? You have to do proper research unless your program was meant to cause controversy.