The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Family of Spain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Spanish Royals: what is happening? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/spanish-royals-what-is-happening-13330.html)

Aquarela 07-20-2007 02:41 PM

Spanish Royals: what is happening?

I am wondering what is happening with the Spanish Royal Family...
They don't attend any Royal Party, they didn't invite almost anyone from the current royal families to any of the recent spanish Christenings... we never see them get along with any other royal...
Why did they invite all those doctors to Sofia's Christening? Don't they have friends? :ermm:

LadyFinn 07-20-2007 02:53 PM

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia attended last year at the 60-year birthday party of King Carl Gustaf of Sweden (they attended only the private party at the first day). If I remember correct, they participated also this February the the 70-year-party of King Harald of Norway (they were only on a private occasion). Infanta Christina and the Duke of Palma were also at King Haraldīs birthday party. Last year the Kings made a state visit to Norway. The Princes of Asturias and the Dukes of Lugo were at the Silver Wedding party in Luxemburg last year. The Princes of Asturias met the Swedish Royal Family in Stockholm in April 2005.
Because of the uncertain situation in Spain, I think that the SRF donīt want to do too many tiara-events, at least not in abroad.

Ferrara 07-20-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarela (Post 643463)
Why did they invite all those doctors to Sofia's Christening? Don't they have friends? :ermm:

To thank them for taking care of Letizia during her pregnancy and also during Sofia's birth. A very nice and thoughtful gesture on the princes' part, imo.

acdc1 07-20-2007 03:02 PM

What is the uncertain situation in Spain?

lula 07-20-2007 03:07 PM

The baptisms of the Spanish Royal Family always have been private and familiar baptisms. In no of the baptisms of the 8 grandchildren of the Kings it has been invited to royal members of other house. Of the same form, the Spanish Real House, doesnīt make great celebrations for birthday or for anniversaries.

LadyFinn 07-20-2007 03:15 PM

I meant with the uncertain situation the bombings in Spain and the actions of organisation ETA.

lucien 07-20-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 643473)
What is the uncertain situation in Spain?

There is NO uncertain situation in Spain.The reason TM or any other member of the RF didn't attend several Royal events abroad
was due to fatal accidents/killings of Spanish military/nationals abroad (recently in Yemen) that happened to coincide with the Royal
events elsewhere.As a rule the RF closes ranks and attends either the arrival ceremonies of the deceased or the funerals or borh.
The family feels they can't/shouldn't go out partying while the nation is in mourning but be there to comfort those affected.

A highly admirable attitude,but indeed,that is the reason they hardly ever attend at all or just a brief moment of the festivities.It has,unfortunately,happened quite often these past years,that either by ETA or other cowardice lunatics Spanish nationals were
badly wounded or died when they were about to fly out to a Royal event.

They do have many friends and are very close to most RF,especially the dutch RF to name one.

carlota 07-20-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarela (Post 643463)
I am wondering what is happening with the Spanish Royal Family...
They don't attend any Royal Party, they didn't invite almost anyone from the current royal families to any of the recent spanish Christenings... we never see them get along with any other royal...

the spanish royals don't usually invite foreign royals to christenings as othe rmonarchies do and baptisms tend to be a lot more private than they are on other places. in many articles it also mentioned that there were private friends of felipe and letizia at both christenings (leonor's and sofia's).

i'm not sure why they don't attend foreign parties, and i would very much love to see them there, but in every ocassion there seems to be something that doesn't let them go. hopefully the next time they will be there with the others. they however invited a lot of worldwide royalty to their wedding. weddings are usually bigger events than baptisms, so that's understandable.