The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-royal-family-order-rfo-and-other-royal-orders-and-decorations-12757.html)

O-H Anglophile 05-03-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2217053)
Its pretty common for upper staff of senior royals, when they leave their post, to receive the honor. Michael Peat (private secretary to Charles) and Geidt (secretary to the queen) both received knight grand cross when they left. Natasha received the MVO, the lowest rank but still a honor. Natasha has been with the royal household since 2007.

Have you seen an announcement that Natasha is leaving KP? I was under the impression she is only on maternity leave.

Dman 05-03-2019 04:42 PM

I believe my girl (Catherine) was invested as Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order today.

An Ard Ri 05-03-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2217311)
I believe my girl (Catherine) was invested as Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order today.

Pity that no photos were released from the investiture ceremony today.

Dman 05-03-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2217320)
Pity that no photos were released from the investiture ceremony today.

I wouldíve been great to see a bit of the ceremony and some pics of the reception back at Windsor. Iím so proud of her though. She deserved her knighthood.

wbenson 05-04-2019 06:00 AM

Was there actually an investiture ceremony? Alastair Bruce's opinion on whether that was likely was "I fear that the normal way these things are done in that family is very informal. The box will probably be left open on a table and The Queen will say “there we are” and that’s that."

I don't think the service involved a formal installation in a stall like at the Garter service, simply because the stalls are not at St. George's Chapel, but at the comparatively tiny Savoy Chapel in London, which is much too small to host any major services. Catherine will have a stall there (I've seen a picture of Sophie's), but who knows if she'll ever get to use it.

Edit: I don't think Catherine was even at the service. The court circular says:

"The Queen, Sovereign of the Order, accompanied by The Princess Royal, Grand Master, was present this morning at a Service of the Royal Victorian Order held in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle.

The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy and Vice-Admiral Sir Tim Laurence were also present."

Likewise, Camilla wasn't at this one or the last one (which would have been the first after her appointment). She was, however, received privately by the Queen about a month after the appointment in 2012, and "invested...with the Insignia of a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order." I suspect that means given a box with the insignia in it, as Alastair Bruce describes. The same language was used for John Major's audience after he received the Garter, and it was filmed for a documentary. She gave him the accolade, then directed his attention to the open boxes on a table. Presumably he also received the more formal investiture with the mantle, etc. before the service in June, but I don't think that kind of tradition exists for any of the other orders (perhaps the Thistle).

Somebody 05-05-2019 10:56 AM

Indeed somewhat peculiar that Catherine did not attend the service. Maybe she first needs to be formally invested (given the insignia) and the time between appointment and service was too short (and not deemed that important otherwise they surely could have arranged it).

wbenson 05-05-2019 11:03 AM

Or we just shouldn't expect universal attendance. I'm looking at the Court Circular entries back to 1999, and assuming they're correct, Camilla hasn't gone either time since her appointment, and Harry wasn't there this time either. Sophie has gone in the past but not this time (or is she still traveling?). Andrew didn't go to any (unless he went before 1999) until he was a GCVO, but Edward attended in 2003 when he was a CVO (the earliest one I have access to).

Dman 05-05-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2217918)
Indeed somewhat peculiar that Catherine did not attend the service. Maybe she first needs to be formally invested (given the insignia) and the time between appointment and service was too short (and not deemed that important otherwise they surely could have arranged it).

From what Iím now understanding, thereís no formal Investiture into the Order. If there was, itís been changed. The Queen just privately award you the Order and not everyone have to attend the service. I thought the same process for being Invested into the Garter applied to the Royal Victorian Order, but thatís not fully the case.

So the first time weíll see Catherine in her Victorian Order insignia is during the US State Visit, if she and William are going.

Bryce 05-06-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2215763)
As it should be!

Do we think Camilla will soon get the Garter, or will she have to wait for Charles to appoint her?

I think that it is highly unlikely that HM will bestow the Garter on Camilla - she is much more likely to receive it from her husband once he is King.

HM has only bestowed the Garter to member of the Blood Royal.
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Royal
HRH The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent
HRH The Duke of York
HRH The Earl of Wessex
HRH The Duke of Cambridge

The odd ones out - so to speak - have been HRH The Princess Margaret and HRH Prince Michael of Kent whose highest honours are the GCVO.

Camilla is only married into the BRF. The highest honour received for those married into the family has been the GCVO
HRH The Duchess of Kent
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester
HRH The Countess of Wessex
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

Diana, Princess of Wales' only British honour was the QEII RFO and HRH Princess Michael of Kent and Sarah, Duchess of York have no British honour.

Of the other spouses, Cpt Mark Phillips received the CVO in 1974.
Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence was bestowed the KCVO in 2011.
The 1st Earl of Snowdon received his GCVO in 1969.

Somebody 05-06-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryce (Post 2218655)
I think that it is highly unlikely that HM will bestow the Garter on Camilla - she is much more likely to receive it from her husband once he is King.

HM has only bestowed the Garter to member of the Blood Royal.
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Royal
HRH The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent
HRH The Duke of York
HRH The Earl of Wessex
HRH The Duke of Cambridge

The odd ones out - so to speak - have been HRH The Princess Margaret and HRH Prince Michael of Kent whose highest honours are the GCVO.

You could also argue that the odd ones out are princess Alexandra of Kent and the Princess Royal. All other recipients are royal dukes (or their equivalent). Elizabeth's aunt (Mary, The Princess royal) for example never received the order. Her highest order was GCVO as well.

Next to Camilla, I would expect the duke of Sussex to receive the Order from Charles as well. Two appointments that I am sure Charles would be pleased to make.

Dman 05-06-2019 09:12 PM

I believe Camilla will receive the Garter upon Charles’s succession. Leading up to the Coronation. That’s keeping in the pattern of previous Consorts.

Those who don’t currently have knighthoods will very likely be receiving them during the accession or leading up to the next Coronation.

Rudolph 05-12-2019 09:18 PM

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD

St. Jamesís Palace, London S.W.1.

10 May 2019

THE QUEEN has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointment in the Royal Victorian Order:

GCVO

To be a Dame Grand Cross:

Her Royal Highness THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE

(To be dated 29 April 2019)

https://twitter.com/princesspleats/s...641188352?s=20

Rudolph 05-21-2019 07:05 PM

The Duchess of Cambridge was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested her with the Insignia of a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.

Court Circular || 21 May 2019

Somebody 05-21-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2224119)
The Duchess of Cambridge was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested her with the Insignia of a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.

Court Circular || 21 May 2019

That must have been right before (or after) the garden party today.

Dman 05-22-2019 01:08 AM

I know William must be so proud of his wife. It must’ve been a big moment for Catherine on being invested by her grandmother-in-law, The Queen.