The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Chit Chat (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/)
-   -   Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/whos-the-nicest-royal-mother-in-law-12745.html)

Aquarela 05-22-2007 12:01 PM

Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law?

imo I believe Queen Beatrix is a very friendly mother in law. I think she's a second mother to all her daughters in law :flowers:

Avalon 05-22-2007 12:13 PM

I would also vote for Queen Beatrix - she seems to have wonderful relationships with all her daughter-in-laws.
Queen Sonja and Queen Sofia seem to be great Mother-in-Laws as well.

crm2317 05-22-2007 12:23 PM

My vote goes to Queen Sofia of Spain and Queen Beatrix

HRH Kerry 05-22-2007 12:24 PM

I've seen pics of Queen Sofia and CP Letizia holding hands. I just get the feeling that she is very kind to her.

Her_Majesty 05-22-2007 12:25 PM

I would say:

Queen Sonja - I think Mette-Marit is very lucky to have her as mother-in-law. I think Sonja exactly knows how MM must feel as a Commoner in a Royal house. I can imagine that she supported her during the first time...
Just because Sonja knew how it feels to be "not-allowed" to marry the big love and how it feels to become a Royal person with many Duties so suddenly...
Also Ari Behn seems to be his mother-in-law's darling...

Queen Beatrix - She seems to have such a good relationship with all "daughters", just as Avalon and Aquarela . She always looks so proud of them.

Queen Sofia - I just had a look through the "Royals and In-Laws" thread... and there were so many gestures between Sofia and her In-laws´. She generally seems to be a very warm and friendly person.

MissSaga 05-22-2007 12:41 PM

I think Sofia must be wonderfull .

Henri M. 05-22-2007 12:55 PM

Yes, I think Queen Beatrix is extremely close to her daughters-in-law. She seems to see them as the daughters she never had. She has openly expressed her pride in 'the gifted and talented' ladies she has begotten as her daughters-in-law.

It shows in many things. Princess Laurentien never escaping from her side when the despaired Queen had to support her dying spouse.

Princess Mabel who always and ever receives a prominent place and even wore her mother-in-law's 1964 engagement dress.

Princess Máxima who is given all access and all support and all guidance to all and everything she needs to know as the future Lady of the House.

Regina 05-22-2007 01:05 PM

I vote for:
Queen Beatrix - she is not only a friendly mother in law but also a so tender grandmother. At least, from what I see in the pictures.

Queen Sofia - she seems very relaxed and happy in presence of Letizia, Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin

Queen Sonja - for the great support she gave to Mette-Marit

I would like to vote for Queen Silvia but that is not possible yet :biggrin:

avrilo 05-22-2007 01:26 PM

Id say Queen Sofia of Spain, she was so supportive to Letizia when Erika died!

BeautyLeonor 05-22-2007 01:38 PM

QUEEN SOFIA! .. she has supported very much Letizia, is very sweet and affectionate with her!

crisiñaki 05-22-2007 01:51 PM

Queen Beatrix is very close to her daughters in-law
And Queen Sofia has a great relationship with Iñaki and his family (she has even gone sailing with the Urdangarin Sr, and her family is also close to them: they went to Alexia's wedding and have spent some leisure time with the GRF) so I guess she have made a great work by making her "born" family and her in-laws get together very well :)

princess leonor 05-22-2007 02:05 PM

I vote for Sofia of Spain :wub: She seems to have a wonderful relationship with all of her inlaws, but I especially love the way she is with Letizia. it's like mother and daughter

BeautyLeonor 05-22-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess leonor
I vote for Sofia of Spain :wub: She seems to have a wonderful relationship with all of her inlaws, but I especially love the way she is with Letizia. it's like mother and daughter

Yesss! Sofia is special with all of her inlaws...:wub: and with letizia she is so sweet, they really look like mother and daughter:flowers:

Nichola 05-22-2007 02:44 PM

I think Queen Beatrix is the nicest. For example, on Queen's Day she said something like "we're all missing our Maxima". I couldn't imagine Queen Elizabeth saying anything like that. She seems a lovely grandmother too!

Closely following is Queen Sofia. She seems a great friend and support to Letizia; and again, a lovely grandmother.

karla64 05-22-2007 02:53 PM

I notice that Queen Elizabeth II did good relationship with Countness of wessex Sophie... Are they?? I know QEII did not good relationship with the late of princess of wales and Ex duchess of York Sarah Fergerson...

I think Sofia did great with daugther in law.. I think that all I can think...

Nichola 05-22-2007 03:00 PM

Yes karla64, QEII does have a good relationship with Sophie.

I don't think they were as close in the early days though (eg, I seem to recall that the day Sophie had an ectopic pregnancy QEII carried on with her engagements and never visited her in hospital). However, I think their relationship strengthened after the deaths of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother. Sophie now accompanies QEII in her car at Christmas etc.

She doesn't seem to have the same closeness with Camilla?

HRH Kerry 05-22-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeautyLeonor
Yesss! Sofia is special with all of her inlaws...:wub: and with letizia she is so sweet, they really look like mother and daughter:flowers:

Not to mention the fact that Queen Sofia has a namesakes in the new little princess.:wub: :flowers: I thought that was so sweet.:angel:

acdc1 05-22-2007 03:46 PM

I think that Queen Sofia is a great one!

Gloriana 05-22-2007 05:51 PM

I think it speaks volumes that it was Letizia who wanted her second daughter to be named after Queen Sofia.

Empress 05-22-2007 06:23 PM

I wonder why Margrethe is not mentioned here at all? I have not heard much about the relationship between Mary and Alexandra and Margrethe.

I have to admit that I think the three main women mentioned here have proven to be admirable mothers in law. I love my mother in law, and I know that is not generally the case, so those of us that have ones that we hove, especially when in such a prominent position as the CPs are in should count their lucky stars! I think that Beatrix,Sofia and Sonja are great.

On another note entirely, isn't it funny that this generation of Queens have so many names that start with S and the next so many that start with M?