The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   A Thread about Frederik and Mary's Marriage (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/a-thread-about-frederik-and-marys-marriage-12707.html)

Lena 05-14-2007 05:37 PM

A Thread about Frederik and Mary's Marriage

Hard to believe, that we already talk about 3 years. I remember, that it was a very hot day and that I ran home, because I had a date, that I couldnīt skip (Iīve tried though ;) ) And what should I say, it was a beautiful wedding. My favourite after the one of Mette Marit and Haakon.

But honestly...after 3 years Iīm thinking, that some bubbles have bursted. Iīve checked in connection with the lovely pics of Victoria and Frederik (and their interaction...) pics of the past year showing Mary and Frederik together. Firstly most pics were from photoshootings...they arenīt many duties sharing and secondly the body language was mostly cold seeming.

But then again...they arenīt "new" to each other anymore...so less of an excitement factor, two under two are probably stressful, and things might seem less passionate, because they have put on a show so much in the beginning (kissing, the 2 Steens doing lots of lifestyle shootings...) AND of course Iīm an old heretic...and go back to my dungeon :angel:

Tinika 05-14-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena
Hard to believe, that we already talk about 3 years. I remember, that it was a very hot day and that I ran home, because I had a date, that I couldnīt skip (Iīve tried though ;) ) And what should I say, it was a beautiful wedding. My favourite after the one of Mette Marit and Haakon.

But honestly...after 3 years Iīm thinking, that some bubbles have bursted. Iīve checked in connection with the lovely pics of Victoria and Frederik (and their interaction...) pics of the past year showing Mary and Frederik together. Firstly most pics were from photoshootings...they arenīt many duties sharing and secondly the body language was mostly cold seeming.

But then again...they arenīt "new" to each other anymore...so less of an excitement factor, two under two are probably stressful, and things might seem less passionate, because they have put on a show so much in the beginning (kissing, the 2 Steens doing lots of lifestyle shootings...) AND of course Iīm an old heretic...and go back to my dungeon :angel:

Well Lena, I agree with you. I don't think things are so rosy with this couple anymore.

acdc1 05-14-2007 08:48 PM

Once you've been married a while, things do calm down, and you find other things, like children and such, that you have to deal with. But it doesn't mean they aren't like that in private. They may just have gotten more reserved about their feelings in public.

soCal girl 05-14-2007 09:03 PM

The excitement in the relationship is different. First it was exciting because there's a "we're a couple against the world" mentality but now after two kids they can't afford to be selfish as a couple as they once were allowed to be. Fred and Mary both seemed happy enough at the Norwegian celebrations earlier this year.

Anyways, congratulations to them both!

Tinika 05-14-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1
Once you've been married a while, things do calm down, and you find other things, like children and such, that you have to deal with. But it doesn't mean they aren't like that in private. They may just have gotten more reserved about their feelings in public.

That's certainly possible, of course. I'm just saying what I sense from various photos of late as well as the distinct lack of public appearances together.

Mandy 05-14-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinika
That's certainly possible, of course. I'm just saying what I sense from various photos of late as well as the distinct lack of public appearances together.

I think because Frederik and Mary are patrons of different organizations, they simply attend different functions. I also think that Mary, being the independent type of person, doesn't need Frederik to hold her hand every time she performs an official duty.

Lena 05-15-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy
I think because Frederik and Mary are patrons of different organizations, they simply attend different functions. I also think that Mary, being the independent type of person, doesn't need Frederik to hold her hand every time she performs an official duty.

Well, but here we have the question of the egg and the chicken. What was there first?
They could have chosen more patronages together or more innaugurations together. Well, maybe my view would change a little, when the children would be a little older, when there would be maybe again something like the HCA year and when they then would travel again more together. Trips like the one of Mette Marit and Haakon to South Korea for example.

And actually I wasnīt talking so much about kissing and holding hands...but more about the unconscious things...body language during ordinary duties or photoshootings etc. With Victoria he didnīt hold hands either and though things seemed so different :wub:
Well, but Iīm no profiler or psychologist and know of course, that one canīt prove such observations with "facts". Different ppl, different views...just the old game :biggrin:

Jo of Palatine 05-15-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

And actually I wasnīt talking so much about kissing and holding hands...but more about the unconscious things...body language during ordinary duties or photoshootings etc. With Victoria he didnīt hold hands either and though things seemed so different :wub:

When Frederick took Mary home from hospital their body language told about love and happiness. But it's true: they are now four in the marriage....

msleiman 05-15-2007 09:45 AM

With two children in three years they seem to be getting along to me.

princess olga 05-15-2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Interesting observation. Made me actually go through the Sweden-Denmark state visit thread pictures, which I hadn't done. You're right that Victoria and Fred, on those pictures, almost sometimes seem like a couple. A couple of <good old friends>, that is, if you look closer. They both (Fred and Victoria) are looking like they're trying a bit too hard for me to believe they'd really really be that interested in one another without the cameras there. Although I couldn't help being a bit, annoyed? at Victoria's all-out charm offensive, even wearing a dress with a lower-than-necessary decollete. Couldn't help thinking what Mary would be thinking...even on the occasion of the official photo of everyone together, the one occasion of the state visit Mary attended, Fred couldn't keep his hands off of Victoria one pic seemed to show! Kind of annoying of Fred.

As for Fred & Mary, it's a bit unfair to say things have cooled.
True, nothing like two little demanding, needy kids keeping their parents awake at night to put a damper on any romantic relationship.
And true too, if you compare pictures of Felipe and Letizia, those two also just had another baby, yet look into each others eyes as if they're discovering the other for the first time, so in love do they seem.

But does that mean things are going downhill for Fred and Mary? I don't think we can deduce that at all. I do think that having a young family is something new for them and takes adjustment. The other thing is perhaps that it's not been that easy maybe for Mary to be a new mom in a new(ish) society, while being in the spotlight. If there was ever a time to give Mary a break, it may well be now.

Madame Royale 05-15-2007 06:57 PM

Are some forgetting that Frederik and Victoria are infact 1st cousins twice removed? I hardly think any romantic link between the two would have ever been encouraged. They are family and as family I'm sure they enjoy one anothers company very much :smile:

Caswallan 05-15-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Although I couldn't help being a bit, annoyed? at Victoria's all-out charm offensive, even wearing a dress with a lower-than-necessary decollete.
Victoria finally dressed amazingly and really wowed me. She usually takes a fair amount of criticism for her way of dressing and is usually overshadowed by her sister but on this State visit there was a sparkle there. She looked amazing.

I personally don't think she showed off anything that Mary hasn't showed off before. She has been a royal her whole life and I am sure she is aware of how much décolleté she can show.

As well Victoria is going to be Queen of Sweden someday and doesn't need to marry Fred to become one as Mary did. I think they have a close relationship as a lot of cousins do. Good friends nothing more. This jealousy thing makes no sense.

Empress 05-15-2007 07:54 PM

I for one am certain that there is no untoward relationship between Frederick and Victoria. I also feel fairly strongly that this is a marriage that is made to last. And I also believe that they are happy. They do have a newborn as well as a toddler at home, and that would try even a saints patience I am sure. Which eventually might very well lead to minor tension in the household, and given that one's spouse is generally the only person in the house capable of intellgent conversation, that person generally receives the brunt of the other persons stress.

And royal or not, they go through the typical emotions that new parents always do.

Madame Royale 05-15-2007 08:54 PM

Mary and Frederik resemble any other married couple imo. Why should they be expected to display a somewhat 'forced' show of intimate affection? Just to subside tabloid curiosity? They have nothing to prove to anyone as it stands, and I for one don't doubt their love :flowers:

princess olga 05-15-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Mary and Frederik resemble any other married couple imo. Why should they be expected to display a somewhat 'forced' show of intimate affection? Just to subside tabloid curiosity? They have nothing to prove to anyone as it stands, and I for one don't doubt their love :flowers:

Good point - and anyhow, <if> they were having a bad time, giving the media a show of affection would indeed prove nothing! Btw I didn't try to say I think there's something between Victoria and Fred, they seem like old friends (which they are).

Madame Royale 05-15-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga
Btw I didn't try to say I think there's something between Victoria and Fred, they seem like old friends (which they are).

My response was not directed to you, princess olga. If it were I would have quoted you.

I agree with your observations.

royaltywatcher 05-15-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

I noticed the Frederick/Victoria dynamic too, but really, Victoria never looked that good before. That blue dress with the low neckline made her look amazingly sexy, and not in a bad way, either! I think it's just one of those awkward moments when a husband has to pair off with some fabulous woman for some reason (best man at a wedding, contestant on Dancing with the Stars, whatever) just at the time when his wife is pregnant or just had a baby and is not looking her best.

But I have to say, lately I've been wondering about the pictures of Frederick and Mary, but I don't know why. And then I read Lena's comment and it kind of clicked.

royaltywatcher 05-15-2007 10:26 PM

I never really followed Victoria before, and the pictures of her from the state visit surprised me. Not so much the formal events, where she looked great, but the daytime visits she made with Frederick. She kind of exudes happiness and charisma, which is something I just don't see from Mary, even on her best days. Maybe what appeared to be a dynamic between Frederick and Victoria was actually just the difference between Victoria and Mary.

amina1 05-15-2007 10:41 PM

good, I guess it's safe to post about it now:biggrin: I noticed a bit too, didn't wanna start.
And yes, they have been friends for a while too, but I watched videos+pics, I meight be a bit:bang: if I were Mary.
:lol:

Chimene 05-15-2007 10:53 PM

I'm sure they are happy! I actually think that there is something to be said about familiarity, and being completely comfortable with each other as a couple, after the honeymoon period is over. You can be independent as individuals, and still have love and respect for each other. Taking care of the family and being with the children are great joy, especially at that age. Happiness stems from knowing you've made the right choice, and even when things get thought, the memories of why you came together in the first place will see you through. Yes, the excitement may be over, but it can be replaced with something even stronger imo. I hope that was not too cheesy.

Anyhow, I hope they had a wonderful anniversary with their two lovely children.