The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "The Tudors" TV series (2007) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/the-tudors-tv-series-2007-a-12260.html)

Lady Jennifer 12-23-2006 04:02 PM

"The Tudors" TV series (2007)

I saw online there is a new movie coming out onto Showtime here in the States called "The Tudors". Its going to be shown sometime during the Spring. It stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.
I'm hoping it will then come out onto tape so that I could at least rent it.
Here is the trailer for it on YouTube- Link

Australian 12-23-2006 09:21 PM

Sounds good. I hope i can get a copy of it, I find the Tudor period of royalty the most interesting. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is King Henry? hmmm, maybe a young Henry most probably.

GlitteringTiaras 12-24-2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian
Sounds good. I hope i can get a copy of it, I find the Tudor period of royalty the most interesting. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is King Henry? hmmm, maybe a young Henry most probably.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is a fantastic actor. From what I have seen, on YouTube, I believe he will blow many of us away.

I'll keep an open mind with this movie, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.

Amina 12-30-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
I saw online there is a new movie coming out onto Showtime here in the States called "The Tudors". Its going to be shown sometime during the Spring. It stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.
I'm hoping it will then come out onto tape so that I could at least rent it.
Here is the trailer for it on YouTube- Link

Thank you for this i have seen the trailer and it looks like they haven't spent that much money on it. But i love the Tudors so if they show it in England i'll watch it anyway. Hopefully it will be better than Henry VIII which was shown in England on ITV - now that was bad!!!

EmpressRouge 12-31-2006 01:42 PM

As gorgeous as J R-M is, I think he's too skinny and short to pull off Henry VIII.

TheQueen 12-31-2006 04:51 PM

Oh Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Something different and I can't wait to see him as Henry VIII. It looked, from the trailer, that it was focusing mostly on Henry & Anne. Well it looks interesting.

Australian 01-01-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
As gorgeous as J R-M is, I think he's too skinny and short to pull off Henry VIII.

That's what I think too, except for the gorgeous factor. Maybe it will focus on a young Henry rather than the overweight plump Henry that we all know more.

magnik 01-01-2007 10:01 AM

JRM as Henry VIII? Isn't he little thin?

Gabrielle Anwar as Pss Margaret - nice.

Sorry, do you have any photos?

Lady Jennifer 01-01-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik
JRM as Henry VIII? Isn't he little thin?

Gabrielle Anwar as Pss Margaret - nice.

Sorry, do you have any photos?

It doesn't appear there are any photos yet- except for the trailer. But I could be mistaken

Zonk 01-01-2007 01:28 PM

I love the Tudors (the historical/real Tudors)...they have always had the makings of a Shakespearn tragedy. That being said....based upon what I see in the trailer.....it looks interesting. I don't know about JRM as Henry. Wasn't he a red head.....they might have cast the Buckingham actor as Henry IMO. But I will give it a try.

magnik 01-01-2007 01:37 PM

I can't opened the first trailer so that's what I found on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+tudors

Finally I watch the trailer and JRM still does't convince to me as Henry. But he is good actor.

and here you go Richard Burton as HVIII and Genevive Bujold as Anne in "Anne of the thousan days"
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+thousand+days

And quite good site about Tudors
http://tudors.crispen.org/

HRH Kerry 01-01-2007 06:11 PM

Hmm. This would actually be the first time I've ever wanted to subscribe to Showtime. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a DVD release.

Lady Jennifer 01-01-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry
Hmm. This would actually be the first time I've ever wanted to subscribe to Showtime. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a DVD release.

Makes me want to subscribe as well. I'm sure they will release it on DVD. Everything else gets released. But it may have to be bought from Showtime direct.

Sister Morphine 03-20-2007 12:40 AM

"The Tudors" TV series

For those of us in the States, Showtime has a new series premiering April 1st called "The Tudors" and if you go on The Tudors On Showtime - The Tudors Official Site, you can watch the first two episodes. I don't have Showtime, so unless they make more episodes available online, I won't be able to watch it until or unless they release it on DVD.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays Henry VIII and they made him hot! I mean, the paintings we've seen of him....he was fat and not that attractive, but here you can see just how magnetic he was to women. The one thing I think they took liberties on was his relationship to his daughter Mary. In the first episode, he speaks glowingly of her, picks her and up and is very affectionate; the things I've read on him showed him to be a very distant father as he wanted a son, and she certainly wasn't.

Suonymona 03-20-2007 04:20 AM

This is by the people who did the Elizabeth I series which starred Helen Mirren.

The idea this time is to show Henry when he was young and vibrant (and on his first marriage). To their styling, he was the Justin Timberlake meets William Windsor of his day. Powerful, pretty and prone to getting whatever he wanted!

Zonk 03-20-2007 08:11 AM

Actually, from what I have read on Henry and Mary. He was (in the beginning) at least, a very attentive father. Yes, he wanted a son...but until the affair with Anne Boyeln began, the desire to spilt away from the Church...he was from all reports a doting father (as much as one could be at that time).

I think he was unnecessarily cruel to Mary because he wanted Catherine to bend. If he is cruel to the child, then mother will sacrifice herself to save her child.

Kelly 03-20-2007 09:39 AM

Yes, it is recorded that he was a doting father to Mary while still married to Catherine of Aragon. Of course all that came to an end when he Anne Boleyn came into the picture. By the way it is also recorded that he was a very handsome man when he was young.

ldt20 03-21-2007 07:23 PM

I've been able to watch the first two episodes on Netflix, before they are aired on April. I have to say I'm already hooked! Too bad that I don't have Showtime but cannot wait for the show to be on DVD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
For those of us in the States, Showtime has a new series premiering April 1st called "The Tudors" and if you go on The Tudors On Showtime - The Tudors Official Site, you can watch the first two episodes. I don't have Showtime, so unless they make more episodes available online, I won't be able to watch it until or unless they release it on DVD.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays Henry VIII and they made him hot! I mean, the paintings we've seen of him....he was fat and not that attractive, but here you can see just how magnetic he was to women. The one thing I think they took liberties on was his relationship to his daughter Mary. In the first episode, he speaks glowingly of her, picks her and up and is very affectionate; the things I've read on him showed him to be a very distant father as he wanted a son, and she certainly wasn't.

LaPlusBelle 03-26-2007 07:09 PM

I've seen the first episode and my oh my, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is gorgeous! I love the way they portray him, just like one would think of a young king.

ysbel 03-26-2007 10:04 PM

I want to like this series but the promos going around it remind me of Sofia Coppola's movie Marie Antoinette.

With all the emphasis on Henry VIII being a hot young stud and intimating that his sister Mary poisoned her husband the King of France on their wedding night, the series looks like its trying too hard to relate to a modern audience.