The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Sweden (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   A Swedish Prince Named Johan? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/a-swedish-prince-named-johan-12208.html)

emoone03 03-11-2007 12:45 PM

A Swedish Prince Named Johan?
 
HI there! My name is Elizabeth and I am an AMerican college student from Pennsylvania.

My interest in European royalty was just discovered! I just returned from Spring Break in Cancun, and there, I met a boy who told me he was a Swedish Prince. I am now trying to figure out the whole royalty system because it is so interesting and so different from anything in the United States.

Also, I am trying to figure out if the boy I met is a real Prince. He is about 23 years old, blond, and I think he said his name was Johan. He also told me that he is 6th in line to be King of Sweden. Does anyone know who he is? Is he a real prince or was he trying to trick a naive American like myself?

Yennie 03-11-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoone03
HI there! My name is Elizabeth and I am an AMerican college student from Pennsylvania.

My interest in European royalty was just discovered! I just returned from Spring Break in Cancun, and there, I met a boy who told me he was a Swedish Prince. I am now trying to figure out the whole royalty system because it is so interesting and so different from anything in the United States.

Also, I am trying to figure out if the boy I met is a real Prince. He is about 23 years old, blond, and I think he said his name was Johan. He also told me that he is 6th in line to be King of Sweden. Does anyone know who he is? Is he a real prince or was he trying to trick a naive American like myself?

There´s no swedish prince named Johan. Sorry :smile:

probably just a bored swedish boy pretending to be someone else

emoone03 03-11-2007 12:54 PM

Well, to be honest, we met alot of Swedish boys the night we met the one claiming to be a Prince, and I know one of them was Johan. It may not have been the Prince's name though...

Other than the name, does my description of him sound like any of the Swedish princes...? 23ish, blond, handsome, 5th or 6th in line to the throne...?

Elspeth 03-11-2007 01:05 PM

Have a look at some of the threads in this forum which talk about the King's sisters and their families. As Yennie said, the chances are that it was just some kid trying it on, but if you read the threads you'll find some information about the people close to the royal family.

Henri M. 03-11-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoone03
Well, to be honest, we met alot of Swedish boys the night we met the one claiming to be a Prince, and I know one of them was Johan. It may not have been the Prince's name though...

Other than the name, does my description of him sound like any of the Swedish princes...? 23ish, blond, handsome, 5th or 6th in line to the throne...?

There is only one Prince which comes near to your description and that is the King's second child and only son:
His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip Edmund Bertil, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Värmland.
He is almost 27 years old and he is not blonde and is also no Johan. See picture.

The only Prince with 'Johan' in his name I know of, is the second son of the Dutch Queen:
His Royal Highness Prince Johan Friso Christiaan Bernhard David, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Count Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg.
He is 39 years old, blonde indeed, but no longer handsome and is married. See picture.

Stefan 03-11-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoone03
HI there! My name is Elizabeth and I am an AMerican college student from Pennsylvania.

My interest in European royalty was just discovered! I just returned from Spring Break in Cancun, and there, I met a boy who told me he was a Swedish Prince. I am now trying to figure out the whole royalty system because it is so interesting and so different from anything in the United States.

Also, I am trying to figure out if the boy I met is a real Prince. He is about 23 years old, blond, and I think he said his name was Johan. He also told me that he is 6th in line to be King of Sweden. Does anyone know who he is? Is he a real prince or was he trying to trick a naive American like myself?

There is noboday on place 6 in the swedish line of succession. Here is the line of succession to the swedish Throne:
1: Crown Princess Victoria
2: Prince Carl Philip
3: Princess Madeleine

emoone03 03-11-2007 04:43 PM

Oh sad! I really thought I had met a Prince...

Is there a chance he is, indeed, royalty, but not a Prince? He was very convincing as someone royal... or at least, charming...

Lena 03-11-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan
There is noboday on place 6 in the swedish line of succession. Here is the line of succession to the swedish Throne:
1: Crown Princess Victoria
2: Prince Carl Philip
3: Princess Madeleine

Well, if something terrible would carry off Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine before getting own children, there surely would be some PlanB by the government and Royal House. And I´m pretty sure PlanB would involve the children of the King´s sisters.
But there is indeed no tradition of making a fuss around the succession as we know it e.g. from Great Britain with ppl being 112th or so in the line of succession
Line of Succession to the British Throne

Age-wise also Gustaf, Victor and Oscar, the sons of Princess Christina would fit...but they are no princes actually (their father is a commoner and they carry his surname)

emoone03 03-11-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena
Well, if something terrible would carry off Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine before getting own children, there surely would be some PlanB by the government and Royal House. And I´m pretty sure PlanB would involve the children of the King´s sisters.
But there is indeed no tradition of making a fuss around the succession as we know it e.g. from Great Britain with ppl being 112th or so in the line of succession
Line of Succession to the British Throne

Age-wise also Gustaf, Victor and Oscar, the sons of Princess Christina would fit...but they are no princes actually (their father is a commoner and they carry his surname)

hmm... I'm found pictures of all three of Princess Christina's sons, and none of them are the boy that I met. I believe that he is royal in some way... I'm just trying to figure out how. Could he be like a great nephew of the King? Or maybe a distant cousin or something? Which royal figures in Sweden have children in their early twenties? The boys we met told us that many people are royal in Sweden because it is a small country. Is that true?

I'm determined to figure out this mystery because I refuse to believe that it was a pick-up line used on a confused and overly idealistic American girl!! :wacko:

Henri M. 03-11-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoone03
The boys we met told us that many people are royal in Sweden because it is a small country.

Sweden is a big country but with a tiny population (only 9,5 million, which is less than a country like Belgium).
You have to travel about 2100 miles from Stockholm in the south, to arrive in Kiruna, the most north city.

The official royal family is only 6 persons, so it is very small:

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia
The King's children (Cown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Madeleine)
The King's aunt (Princess Lilian)

azile 03-11-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoone03
hmm... I'm found pictures of all three of Princess Christina's sons, and none of them are the boy that I met. I believe that he is royal in some way...

I'm determined to figure out this mystery because I refuse to believe that it was a pick-up line used on a confused and overly idealistic American girl!! :wacko:

Elizabeth- I'm afraid that your description does not match any of the Swedish Royals. As several others have already pointed out, there are only 3 people in succession to the Swedish throne and the Swedish Royal Family is quite small. I think this young man, for some selfish reason, did take advantage of your trust and idealism. Most American girls are not familiar with all the European royal families and he might have thought it was a fun game.

I'm also afraid that royals do not usually go to places like Cancun for their holidays- they usually go to their private vacation homes or more exotic locations (Majorca, Seychelles etc) with large security teams in tow. If you met this young man without a security guard closeby, he was not as royal as he claimed to be.

Good luck next time!

Lena 03-11-2007 05:32 PM

There is definitely no more young Prince living in Sweden. The only ones with "Prince" as title are the sons of Princess Birgitta...but they are already 45 and 41 years old and were raised in Germany.
The thing is, that he said to you, that he is a prince and now we can pretty much exclude, that there is a Swedish Prince in this age group, who is looking like the person you met. So one can assume, the whole story was indeed a pick-up line...sorry :flowers: If he would be a count or baron, he surely would have said, that he is one (and not that he is a prince) If he would have been a descendent from one of the Royals, who lost their title, he maybe would have upgraded himself to a Prince, but also here, I couldn´t think of a fitting person. Well, maybe the children of the late Count of Wisborg.
Insel Mainau - Gräfliche Familie (but here also no blond one...and they were raised in Germany, but seem to speak Swedish)

Sweden has indeed a lot of nobility, but not so much Royalty.

And if you would go deeper into Royalty, you would soon note, that Royals aren´t neccessarily the most eloquent, sophisticated, well-behaved and charming persons, one can find. ;)

emoone03 03-11-2007 05:41 PM

Oh no! He was so nice... and I must say he played it all very well... never using the word "prince" or "royalty" to me, but rather having his friends tell my friends that he was royal. They of course ran and told me and I was impressed. One of his friends even went so far as to tell me that this "Prince" is very particular about the girls he fraternizes with because of his royal status. I, of course, ate this up! His other friend told me that if he murdered 5 people, my "Prince" would quickly become the King of Sweden. Then he proceeded to say that it was good that he'd never be King (being 6th in line) because that simply meant that he never had responsibility, but that he was very wealthy. Wow... come to think of it, they really had their story perfected! Ughh!

GlitteringTiaras 03-11-2007 08:26 PM

I think it's safe to say this guy was having a bit of fun with you.

As Azile stated most royals do not vacation in Cancun. Furthermore, your chances of meeting a royal, and possibly having a deep romantic relationship, are about a 1 and 876 million chance. Essentially, the odds are against you.

You've been had, Emoone03, the young man you met in Cancun lied.

:smile:

emoone03 03-12-2007 04:35 PM

Ughh I guess it's time to admit that my Prince was no Prince at all!!

lilytornado 03-12-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azile
I'm also afraid that royals do not usually go to places like Cancun for their holidays- they usually go to their private vacation homes or more exotic locations (Majorca, Seychelles etc) with large security teams in tow.

Majorca being more exotic than Cancun! :rofl:
Sorry that doesn't really fit here, but there you can really see the differences how people see a place depending on where they come from!
To me Mallorca seems like the most ordinary vacation spot ever!

emoone03 03-12-2007 05:53 PM

OK so I found out his name definitely is Johan.

And there's definitely no one who is 23ish, royal or noble or anything like that named Johan?

I need to give up on the hope that he wasn't lying! oooh my!

Lox 03-12-2007 06:13 PM

Maybe you met Carl Johan Edward Bernadotte, Count af Wisborg (born 1970-12-07). He is a male-line great-great-grandson of King Oscar II, but he's technically not a prince.
He is not in line to succeed to the Swedish throne, but he is number 891 in line to the British throne.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises