The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   "The Diana Chronicles" by Tina Brown (2007) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/the-diana-chronicles-by-tina-brown-2007-a-12031.html)

Jo of Palatine 06-27-2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 630051)
The Diana Chronicles reviewed by Sarah Vine ( The Times)

The Diana Chronicles-Arts & Entertainment-Books-Biography-TimesOnline

´´ I should say at this point that in the great Camilla versus Diana debate, Brown is firmly in the Diana camp. The Duchess of Cornwall is seen as a throaty, feral temptress (“women who love horses usually love sex . . . Camilla Shand loved horses all right”), whose mature allure constantly undermined Diana’s girlish charms. The implication is that had Camilla not been on the scene, Prince Charles and Diana might have had a chance.´´´
_______

A reader's comment of this review:

I saw Tina Brown in conversation with Andrew Roberts at the ICA last week and she was deeply imporessive - focused, natural and yet a commanding presence in crisp white blouse, big glossy belt, black skirt and high heels. And yet I could not help wondering how far the cleverly calculating Diana that comes through the book is painted in the image of the author, and indeed whether any biography, however good, will ever give us the true person?

End of quote.

I was wondering the same when I read about Tina Brown. But if so, her
attitude towards Camilla is understandible: it must be hard to watch how a prized lady who many people liken you with is not the winner in a contest with an older lady... It goes back to the old question why people are attractive and are loved while others are much more beautiful... This is a topic Diana and her look-alikes must have feared, potentially because they don't understand that attraction.

Skydragon 06-27-2007 05:50 AM

'Overblown and overhyped'

Whatever its actual merits, Tina Brown's Diana Chronicles has been the most talked-about book of the season and Sarah Bradford's its most talked-about review - even though, until today, it had not been published. It remains unclear why the Spectator refused to print Bradford's piece, given that she is widely considered to be this country's foremost authority on Diana. But here it is, abridged and edited

'Overblown and overhyped' | News | Guardian Unlimited Books

LOSSEAN 06-27-2007 06:12 AM

Was there a Lady Tryon who was Prince Charles' confidante? Is there any reference to her in the book? Was she friends too with Diana? I read an extract from the book from the internet and it was a right analysis of the phenomenal effect Diana had globally. This is in agreement with serious articles written about her at the time of her death e.g. in TIME magazine. Ingrid Seward in a thought provoking article which I read because it was linked from CasiraghiTrio's site puts it aptly, "Prince Charles may have made a mistake in marrying Diana but thank God he made that mistake". She goes onto acknowledge Camilla's positive influence on the Prince of Wales' life now and that is it to be aplauded. But it should not detract from giving credit to Diana, where credit is due and the book 'Diana Chronicles' IMHO aims to do just that.

Jo of Palatine 06-27-2007 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 632343)
'Overblown and overhyped'

Whatever its actual merits, Tina Brown's Diana Chronicles has been the most talked-about book of the season and Sarah Bradford's its most talked-about review - even though, until today, it had not been published. It remains unclear why the Spectator refused to print Bradford's piece, given that she is widely considered to be this country's foremost authority on Diana. But here it is, abridged and edited

'Overblown and overhyped' | News | Guardian Unlimited Books

Thank you for the link, Skydragon. I had fun with this "review" as well:

The digested read: The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

Jo of Palatine 06-27-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOSSEAN (Post 632352)
Was there a Lady Tryon who was Prince Charles' confidante? Is there any reference to her in the book?

If I remember correctly, "Kanga" - Lady Tryon - was "revealed" as Charles' "mistress" before there ever was talk about Camilla. I'm not sure if there was any truth in these accusations.

Skydragon 06-27-2007 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine (Post 632358)
If I remember correctly, "Kanga" - Lady Tryon - was "revealed" as Charles' "mistress" before there ever was talk about Camilla. I'm not sure if there was any truth in these accusations.

Poor Charles all these lovers must have worn him out! :rofl:

Brilliant link, thanks Jo. :flowers:

Warren 06-27-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOSSEAN (Post 632352)
Was there a Lady Tryon who was Prince Charles' confidante?

The Australian-born Dale Tryon was indeed a member of Charles' inner circle. We have a short thread on her, here.

skhaynie 06-28-2007 02:56 AM

correct price

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 630083)
so people like Tina Brown are simply getting their 20 pieces of silver before the Di market crashes.

Actually, the price of betrayal was 30 pieces of silver...

Ashlea_Q_of_H 06-28-2007 11:04 AM

The Diana Chronicles

Has anyone read "The Diana Chronicles" By Tina Brown? Because I started it...but since I'm new at this Diana research stuff, I'm not sure if even the half of it is true! It is said to be a memoir by one of her very bestfriends...but while I know Diana could be a down right spoiled individual. I just wondered if anyone besides myself thought that there was no way that Tina Brown could have come up with such a story line and written a book about someone she never even knew! What is everyone's take on this book? Because it honestly confuses me...because it seems like she is getting information from false sources because those who knew Diana wouldn't have told all the things that are in this book, especially those so close to her like this woman claims!

LOSSEAN 06-28-2007 05:55 PM

Maybe 20 pieces of silver was the price of betrayal of someone other than Christ?

Skydragon 06-29-2007 07:05 AM

Ashlea_Q_of_H

Many of the reviewers are saying what she didn't take from other books (many of them quoting unnamed sources) she made up. If she was a friend, how many times did they meet for a coffee or snack, how many times did they chat on the phone? She claims to be talking as someone 'there', not someone looking in, but she was only a journalist/editor and how 'inside' is that going to be?

IMO, you have to take anything you read in this book (based on professional and friends reviews) with a vat of salt.:lol:

debzone 06-29-2007 07:17 AM

I will be picking the book from the local library this weekend. I will be certainly reading it the salt shaker by my side.

love_cc 06-29-2007 09:12 AM

I think only Sarah Bradford is pretty strongly against Tina Brown's book, but she has her own book to sell. They are certainly competitors for the Diana expert.The pace of Tina Brown's book is wow! She has a very fast-pace style. She has a very updated bilography and the longest acknowledgment I have ever seen. She has done her research and talked to others but I don't always agree with her way of interpretion but as far as I concern that Tina Brown is not close to Camilla and Charles's circle. Her book has some biases or she write it intentionally to attract more sensations. I wouldn't say Tina Brown's book is the best one but it did successfully explain Diana's relationships with the press and how she can become so popular.I think Sarah Bradford only want to paint a compassion portrait for Diana but the author neglecting the social enviroment. At least Tina Brown uses this special angle to analayse Diana but she is in Diana's camp so I don't believe Camila's part interpretion.

WindsorIII 06-29-2007 09:38 PM

This article is pretty comprehensive...

Still queen of our hearts

Mark McGinness
June 30, 2007 12:00am

'DIANA would have always been a beautiful, warm and empathetic woman, but her tribulations gave her the incentive to become extraordinary.
"Pain made her luminous. And what made her so riveting to the British people is the way they saw this transformation happening before their eyes."
Thus, in her much-heralded and widely hyped biography, Tina Brown shines the spotlight on Diana, the late Princess of Wales, as the 10th anniversary of her death looms.

Still queen of our hearts | The Courier-Mail

Skydragon 06-30-2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindsorIII (Post 633622)
This article is pretty comprehensive...
.....And what made her so riveting to the British people

A good article, but I do take exception to the constant assumption that all the British people felt the same way about her, we didn't.

As this article shows, many at the funeral were there for the 'fun' and almost half the country had no interest in watching it either.

BBC News | Diana one year on | Reporter's reflections

Browns book seems to full of unprovable and improbable conversations and events.

Duchess 06-30-2007 07:08 AM

i'm anxious to read both sarah bradford's and tina brown's books. for all tina's chest thumping about being diana's friend i only remember one article connecting the two. as for sarah, although i've heard of her i can't honestly say that i've ever read any articles about her "expertise" on diana. is she reliable?

TheTruth 06-30-2007 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess (Post 633756)
i'm anxious to read both sarah bradford's and tina brown's books. for all tina's chest thumping about being diana's friend i only remember one article connecting the two. as for sarah, although i've heard of her i can't honestly say that i've ever read any articles about her "expertise" on diana. is she reliable?

Honestly, I would say Sarah is more reliable than Tina, but that's only my humble opinion. Here are some reviews and articles on her books about Diana :

Diana's ‘Luminous' Life: Sarah Bradford's Version - October 11, 2006 - The New York Sun
Diana reassessed: final part | the Daily Mail=
Sarah Bradford on the ‘Real’ Princess Diana - Newsweek Society - MSNBC.com
Diana - Sarah Bradford - Penguin UK
Diana was 'silly, neurotic blonde' : thewest.com.au
Bookreporter.com - DIANA by Sarah Bradford

Hope this will help :flowers:

love_cc 06-30-2007 09:41 AM

Thanks for the links, the truth. IMO Sarah Bradford is a historian and Tina Brown is a journalist. Sarah Bradford presents Diana's life with a sense of history and Tina Brown present her portrait about Diana with a deep media understanding which is not found in the other book. Sarah Bradford's book has more compassions but Tina Brown's book presents a true insight about the Diana myth created by the press.It is my humble opinion only.

TheTruth 06-30-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love_cc (Post 633806)
Thanks for the links, the truth. IMO Sarah Bradford is a historian and Tina Brown is a journalist. Sarah Bradford presents Diana's life with a sense of history and Tina Brown present her portrait about Diana with a deep media understanding which is not found in the other book. Sarah Bradford's book has more compassions but Tina Brown's book presents a true insight about the Diana myth created by the press.It is my humble opinion only.

Of course, in that context I'm sure Tina Brown did a really good job. Just wanted to say to Duchess that if she's looking for some historical and not too many 'unfounded' stuff, Sarah Bradford has a style of writting more appropriate. Although reading both is a very good thing, helps you to see different sides and create your own opinion :flowers:

ysbel 06-30-2007 07:42 PM

Sarah Bradford wrote about Diana's impact with the media. It was one of the best written parts of the book. She gave the best description of Diana's media phenomenon that I have seen.

I think her book was sympathetic to Diana but not exactly laudatory.