The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Family of Belgium (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   Luxembourg State Visit to Belgium: March 20-22, 2007 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/luxembourg-state-visit-to-belgium-march-20-22-2007-a-11975.html)

mathilde16 02-10-2007 07:20 AM

Luxembourg State Visit to Belgium: March 20-22, 2007
 
King Albert, queen Paola, prince Phillipe, princess Mathilde, princess Astrid, prince Lorenz, prince Laurent and princess Claire...

From 20 march - 22 march: Henri and Maria Theresa visit Belgium for a 3 days visit!

Post here all news and photo's!

dazzling 02-10-2007 07:23 AM

this is going to be intresting, lots of pictures.itll be good to see Maria Theresa, havent seen her in a while.im looking forward to this visit

Aurora810 02-10-2007 03:55 PM

Yes, a state visit. I'm also looking forward to this. The Belgium RF really needs something big like this.

sirmax 02-10-2007 07:32 PM

And it is also a Family visit. King Albert II is the uncle of HRH The Grand-Duke.

morhange 02-12-2007 12:44 AM

Will the children (if not Lorenz & Astrid's, then Elisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel, Lousie and the twins) be going?

JessRulz 02-12-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morhange
Will the children (if not Lorenz & Astrid's, then Elisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel, Lousie and the twins) be going?

I doubt it, as children under the age of 18 rarely attend State Visits (or official acts/visits). But in the years to come, I'm sure we will see Elisabeth and the other children at many a State Visit :smile:

Princess Robijn 02-12-2007 04:31 AM

So, maybe Maria-Laura & Amedeo?

purple_platinum 02-19-2007 11:24 PM

I'm going to close up this thread until the date of the State Visit is nearer.
Thank you..

Empress 03-16-2007 09:40 PM

This thread has now been re opened.

While posting, please remember to follow the TRF posting guidelines and the copyright rules TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines :
  • Do not forget to provide sources for all photos & articles
  • Please do not linked the photos directly. Hotlinking is strictly prohibited.
  • Please be respectful to others' opinions even if you're disagree, and always be courteous to your follow members.
  • Lastly, have fun and enjoy!

LaPlusBelle 03-16-2007 11:01 PM

What is the purpose of this (or any) state visit? Anyone know?

selminha 03-17-2007 05:06 PM

Somebody knows the program of the visit?

flcty 03-17-2007 05:09 PM

Does anyone know which Belgian Royal Members will be attending this event? :flowers:

Coquine 03-17-2007 05:50 PM

After a quick look on the calendar of the website of the Belgian monarchy, I found this :

20/03/2007
Le Roi, La Reine, La Reine Fabiola, Le Prince Philippe, La Princesse Mathilde, La Princesse Astrid, Le Prince Lorenz, Le Prince Laurent, La Princesse Claire
Visite d'Etat de Leurs Altesses Royales le Grand-Duc et la Grande-Duchesse de Luxembourg.
(Jusqu'au 22 mars)

pretoriana18 03-17-2007 08:06 PM

yea!!!! goods news!!!! I hope many fhotos people!!!... luck!!!

leanne 03-17-2007 11:07 PM

Visit
 
There is a program of the visit in French on the Gouvernement du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg - Informations et actualités website.
It would be great if someone could translate it into English.

Henri M. 03-18-2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanne
There is a program of the visit in French on the Gouvernement du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg - Informations et actualités website.
It would be great if someone could translate it into English.

Complete translations are not allowed on this board, another rule which I have learned a few days ago. So I will not give you the background information and only the program points as a summary:

Tuesday 20 March 2007
Around noon, King Albert II and Queen Paola will receive Grand-Duke Henri and Grand-Duchess Maria Teresa at the Place des Palais in Brussels.
There will be military honours and the Luxembourgian delegation will be presented.

The Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess will then head for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for an act of homage.

After returning on the Royal Palace, there will be a private lunch with the King, the Queen, Queen Fabiola, the Duke and Duchess of Brabant and also Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz.

In the afternoon the Grand-Duke will have a meeting with Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt, also on the Royal Palace.

After this the grand-ducal couple, accompanied by the Belgian royal couple, will be welcomed on the Grand-Place by the Mayor and Aldermen of Brussels, for the traditional meeting with the city's authorities.

The Grand-Duke will then go to the Maison du Grand-Duch de Luxembourg which is build in the Quartier Europen, for an informal meeting with the Luxembourgian community in Belgium.

In the evening at the Chteau de Laeken a dner de gala will be the closure of the first day of this visit. The diner is offered by the King and Queen.

Wednesday 21 March 2007
The Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess, in attendance of the Belgian royal couple, will visit the city of Bruges in Flanders. They will be welcomed by the Governor of the Province and by the Mayor and Aldermen of Bruges.

After a brief passage at Bruges' City Hall, the Grand-Duke and the King will visit the Port of Zeebrugge, the world's largest port for the transportation of new cars and one of Europe's major terminals for natural gaz.

The Grand-Duchess and the Queen will visit the School for Lace in Bruges and attend an informative meeting. They will also visit the Lace Musuem, adjacent to the school, which was created by the Sisters Apostolines in 1717 .

The Grand-Duchess and the Queen will also visit the exposition Albrecht Drer – graphiste gnial de la Renaissance at Arents House and La beaut et la folie at the Church of Our Lady in Bruges.

In the evening the Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess will host a reception in honour of the King and Queen. The reception will be held at the Muse des Beaux-Arts in Brussels.

Thursday 22 March 2007
The Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess, in attendance of the Belgian royal couple, will visit the city of Namur. They will be welcomed by the Governor of the Province and by the Mayor and Aldermen of Namur during a reception at the Thtre Royal.

The grand-ducal couple and their Belgian hosts will then visit the Universit Notre-Dame de la Paix de Namur.

The last stage of the State Visit will be held in the Province of Lige, in Eupen, the centre of the German-speaking community in Belgium (nine municipalities with German as native language).

The Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess will say farewell during a short ceremony and head for Luxembourg again.

SASSY 03-18-2007 12:35 PM

Prince Laurent and Princess Claire
 
Will they be included in the visit? Also what duties does Princess Claire have?

Henri M. 03-18-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SASSY
Will they be included in the visit? Also what duties does Princess Claire have?

Most likely Prince Laurent and Princess Claire will attend the Dner de Gala given at the Chteau de Laeken. And most likely they will also be invited for the Concert in the Muse des Beaux Arts in Brussels.

The Grand Duke is a nephew to the King (son of the King's late sister Grand Duchess Josphine-Charlotte).
The Grand-Duke therefore also is a cousin to Prince Philippe, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.

Prince Laurent and Princess Claire hardly have any public appearances. They are low in the 'pecking order' and that becomes clear in the public representation as well. They come after the royal couple, after Queen Fabiola, after the Duke and Duchess of Brabant and after Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz.

selminha 03-19-2007 12:42 PM

Tomorrow we go to see Mathilde that good!!!!

Empress 03-19-2007 12:52 PM

Why would Princess Claire And Prince Laurent come after Lorenz and Astrid? As Laurent is a son of a reigning monarch, he should by rights "outrank" his sister, and she should come after him in any official function. Or am I totally wrong?

dazzling 03-19-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress
Why would Princess Claire And Prince Laurent come after Lorenz and Astrid? As Laurent is a son of a reigning monarch, he should by rights "outrank" his sister, and she should come after him in any official function. Or am I totally wrong?

I assume it comes by age after the heir, doesnt it ?

kwanfan 03-19-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress
Why would Princess Claire And Prince Laurent come after Lorenz and Astrid? As Laurent is a son of a reigning monarch, he should by rights "outrank" his sister, and she should come after him in any official function. Or am I totally wrong?

Perhaps, since Belgium has equal succession rights for men and women, precedence is determined by age.

Henri M. 03-19-2007 04:17 PM

Prince Laurent is very low in preseance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwanfan
Perhaps, since Belgium has equal succession rights for men and women, precedence is determined by age.

Correct.

The precedence is as follows:

The King
The Queen
Queen Fabiola
The Duke of Brabant (1)
The Duchess of Brabant
Princess Elisabeth (2)
Prince Gabriel (3)
Prince Emmanuel (4)
Princess Astrid (5)
Prince Lorenz
Prince Amedeo (6)
Princess Maria Laura (7)
Prince Joachim (8)
Princess Luisa Maria (9)
Prince Laurent (10)
Princess Claire
Prince Nicolas (11)
Prince Aymeric (12)

kez_1982 03-19-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
Correct.

The precedence is as follows:

The King
The Queen
Queen Fabiola
The Duke of Brabant (1)
The Duchess of Brabant
Princess Elisabeth (2)
Prince Gabriel (3)
Prince Emmanuel (4)
Princess Astrid (5)
Prince Lorenz
Prince Amedeo (6)
Princess Maria Laura (7)
Prince Joachim (8)
Princess Luisa Maria (9)
Prince Laurent (10)
Princess Claire
Prince Nicolas (11)
Prince Aymeric (12)

You're missing Princess Louise in the list!!:flowers: The precedence is:

The King
The Queen
Queen Fabiola
The Duke of Brabant (1)
The Duchess of Brabant
Princess Elisabeth (2)
Prince Gabriel (3)
Prince Emmanuel (4)
Princess Astrid (5)
Prince Lorenz
Prince Amedeo (6)
Princess Maria Laura (7)
Prince Joachim (8)
Princess Luisa Maria (9)
Prince Laurent (10)
Princess Claire
Princess Louise (11)
Prince Nicolas (12)
Prince Aymeric (13)

Henri M. 03-19-2007 07:17 PM

Good heavens, with all those babies plopping like popcorn I can no longer keep track with them...

You're right. Princess Louise comes after her mum and before her twin brothers. It will be unlikely she will attend royal events when her cousin Elisabeth is Queen, anyway.

BMC 03-19-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
Good heavens, with all those babies plopping like popcorn I can no longer keep track with them...

You're right. Princess Louise comes after her mum and before her twin brothers. It will be unlikely she will attend royal events when her cousin Elisabeth is Queen, anyway.

LOL Henri M. with his plopping babies again! :rofl:

Empress 03-19-2007 07:40 PM

Hah! Well that does get a bit confusing I guess.

Beate 03-19-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kez_1982
You're missing Princess Louise in the list!!:flowers: The precedence is:

The King
The Queen
Queen Fabiola
The Duke of Brabant (1)
The Duchess of Brabant
Princess Elisabeth (2)
Prince Gabriel (3)
Prince Emmanuel (4)
Princess Astrid (5)
Prince Lorenz
Prince Amedeo (6)
Princess Maria Laura (7)
Prince Joachim (8)
Princess Luisa Maria (9)
Prince Laurent (10)
Princess Claire
Princess Louise (11)
Prince Nicolas (12)
Prince Aymeric (13)

Sorry, it is still incomplete as the youngest daugther of Astrid and Lorenz was forgotten, Laetitia Maria..:)That would make Laurent number 11..

leanne 03-20-2007 03:36 AM

Henri M.]Complete translations are not allowed on this board, another rule which I have learned a few days ago. So I will not give you the background information and only the program points as a summary:

Thank you Henri for your program points in English. My high school French wasn't much good!

anneke 03-20-2007 04:51 AM

State visit Luxemburg to Belgium
 
I hope we see beautiful dresses and tiara's on this evening?

Henri M. 03-20-2007 05:59 AM

Diademes for sure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anneke
I hope we see beautiful dresses and tiara's on this evening?

The only surprise will come from the Grand Duchess: what will she wear?

My prediction:

The Queen: the Diademe of the Nine Provinces

The Grand Duchess: the Grand Duchess Elisaveta Michailovna Diademe

Queen Fabiola: no diademe

The Duchess of Brabant: her wedding-gift diademe (diamond laurel-leafs)

Archduchess Astrid of Habsburg-Este: her Savoia-Aosta heirloom diademe

Princess Claire: her small diademe

dazzling 03-20-2007 07:50 AM

Pictures from the arrvival ceremony
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Grand Duke Henri, Belgium's King Albert II and Queen Paola - picture
More pictures (reuters via yahoo news)

Maria-Teresa looks wonderful today

alexandresylvie 03-20-2007 08:14 AM

I find strange that Big Duke du Luxambourg is acceuillis pa King and the Queen and not by Philippe and Mathilde. Deplus on the site of the Monarchy this visit was got rid of by the Diaries of all safe Royal Member(Limb) of the Family of those of King and the Queen

Henri M. 03-20-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexandresylvie
I find strange that Big Duke du Luxambourg is acceuillis pa King and the Queen and not by Philippe and Mathilde. Deplus on the site of the Monarchy this visit was got rid of by the Diaries of all safe Royal Member(Limb) of the Family of those of King and the Queen

The grand-ducal couple will have djeuner with the King & Queen, with Queen Fabiola, with Prince Philippe & Princess Mathilde and with Princess Astrid & Prince Lorenz.

You can clearly see that the Dutch Court uses more protocol (hats, etc.) then their Benelux colleagues. When the Queen visited Brussels, also Queen Paola and Princess Mathilde wore hats.

lucien 03-20-2007 08:41 AM

PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/.

Empress 03-20-2007 08:56 AM

Well, I am not so sure that I would call that protocol, but perhaps more a personal choice by the Dutch Royals to hold to the older, more traditional way of doing things... of which I certainly approve (as if they needed the approval), and applaud! I like tradition!

Stefan 03-20-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
The grand-ducal couple will have djeuner with the King & Queen, with Queen Fabiola, with Prince Philippe & Princess Mathilde and with Princess Astrid & Prince Lorenz.

You can clearly see that the Dutch Court uses more protocol (hats, etc.) then their Benelux colleagues. When the Queen visited Brussels, also Queen Paola and Princess Mathilde wore hats.

I think the belgian roya ladies wore hat when Queen Margrethe II. and Prince Henrik paid an State Visit to Blegium a few years ago. Don't know if the wore hats at the State Visits from Norway and Sweden in 2001 and 2003.

carlota 03-20-2007 10:44 AM

beautiful photos of the visit. i loved maria teresa's outfit and the embroidery of her coat :) she also seems to have a different hair-style now.

i love benelux visits and benelux royals. there have been quite a few visits lately between the three countries and they never dissappoint. they know how to combine protocol with informality and with beautiful tiaras and dresses (not to mention how adorable the benelux ladies are - from fabiola, to the grand duchess, mathilde, maxima, astrid... full of grace and elegance).

i can't wait for pictures of this evening :)

elmabruin 03-20-2007 11:15 AM

Maria- teresa looks wonderful.

dazzling 03-20-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress
Well, I am not so sure that I would call that protocol, but perhaps more a personal choice by the Dutch Royals to hold to the older, more traditional way of doing things... of which I certainly approve (as if they needed the approval), and applaud! I like tradition!

I agree with you Empress, tradition is always great. I like all the formal things such as the hats etc. I tend to miss it sometimes
Queen Paola looks great, her suit color does suite her very well, Maria-Teresa's hair looks great.

a few pictures attend a ceremony at the Congress Column in Brussels, Tuesday 20 March 2007
Picture 1
Picture 2
picture 3

isifa gallery

pianohabebi 03-20-2007 11:45 AM

Thank you all for providing these lovely pictures. I really like Maria-Teresa's new hair style and her outfit is very lovely. Of course, Paola looks very nice as well. I cannot wait to see more pictures of this visit. Thanks again.

selminha 03-20-2007 11:56 AM

It is a pity that the Mathilde still did not appear.
I cannot wait to see more pictures of this visit.

Henri M. 03-20-2007 12:55 PM

Disappointed
 
The fact that the ladies did not wear hats during the most formal day-event: the welcome ceremony and the wreath laying, indicates that also for the other days no hats will be worn.

Call me oldfashioned. I prefer Queen Beatrix and Princess Mxima opting for two day-outfits per day, inclusive hats like they did in Turkey, Belgium, Argentina, etc.

Empress 03-20-2007 01:02 PM

Call me old fashioned too then!

sesa 03-20-2007 01:30 PM

I really like the fact that the M.T. is growing out her hair. It is very flattering to her face and makes her look softer. She is very lovely today, and I also adore her outfit.

Stefan 03-20-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
The fact that the ladies did not wear hats during the most formal day-event: the welcome ceremony and the wreath laying, indicates that also for the other days no hats will be worn.

Call me oldfashioned. I prefer Queen Beatrix and Princess Mxima opting for two day-outfits per day, inclusive hats like they did in Turkey, Belgium, Argentina, etc.

Yes i agree with you the Ladys should wear hats and the men uniforms like they do in Sweden and Norway.

dazzling 03-20-2007 04:32 PM

some wonderful pictures on PPE-AGENCY at the City Hall of Brussels

Kelly 03-20-2007 05:41 PM

While seeing the pictures earlier, I thought that MT's hair was just being blown away by the wind. I did not realize that it was a new hairstyle! LOL. It looks great on her. I also agree, I would have liked to have seen hats although I don't consider myself old fashion, just opt for more elegance.

selminha 03-20-2007 05:44 PM

Still it does not have photos to galadinner?

anneke 03-20-2007 06:36 PM

Yes, Getty Images has the first photo's from the galadiner.
Beautiful dresses for all of them.

anneke 03-20-2007 06:39 PM

And PPE Agency has too.

Kelly 03-20-2007 07:05 PM

That is one big tiara for the grand duchess! I wasn't that impressed by her dress though.

lucien 03-20-2007 07:06 PM

PPE Agency

Nice to see Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha,they celebrate their Silver Wedding anniversary today:
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto


Courtesy PPE

Zonk 03-20-2007 09:48 PM

Wow...the royal ladies look lovely. Maria Theresa pulled out the big tiara for this occassion! I love Paola's hair...it appears to be slightly different than her normal look and its a winner. Mathilde looks great too! The men appear dashing as well. Is it just me or can only Fabilola pull off that dress...and maybe a Marie Chantal. Does she never wear a tiara? Astrid...not too fond of the colour....it does nothing for her IMO. And where were Claire and Laurent?

rere 03-20-2007 10:09 PM

I love MT with longer hair and purple is a nice color on her. However, I wish she would wear more dresses with straps. The big tiara looks nice with MT's new hairstyle. The new jewels (before worn by JC) are nice additions to her style.

HMQueenElizabethII 03-21-2007 01:08 AM

The GD put an impression on me.She just looked so wonderful, especially in this new hairstyle, i think it's abit more curly.Nice to see her looking great and happy in her birthday.

weinyer 03-21-2007 02:09 AM

from getty

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Stefan 03-21-2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk
Wow...the royal ladies look lovely. Maria Theresa pulled out the big tiara for this occassion! I love Paola's hair...it appears to be slightly different than her normal look and its a winner. Mathilde looks great too! The men appear dashing as well. Is it just me or can only Fabilola pull off that dress...and maybe a Marie Chantal. Does she never wear a tiara? Astrid...not too fond of the colour....it does nothing for her IMO. And where were Claire and Laurent?

Fabiola doesn't wear a tiara since the dead of her husband King Baudouin in 1993. She made a exception for the State Visits from Spain and Sweden in 2000 and 2001 when she wore her spanish Wedding gift tiara.

flcty 03-21-2007 03:17 AM

I :wub: Mathilde's pink dress and her hair. I kinda think that she should lose the earings. You know keep it simple. What's up with Astrid's dress, I have no idea what color it is - highlighter yellow or green. Does Astrid prefer to wear [you know, revealing...show a bit flesh, kind of] dresses. Remember the event [charity concert] in France, last December.

Henri M. 03-21-2007 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan
Fabiola doesn't wear a tiara since the dead of her husband King Baudouin in 1993. She made a exception for the State Visits from Spain and Sweden in 2000 and 2001 when she wore her spanish Wedding gift tiara.

Out of my heart (correct me if I'm wrong)

Only during the Spanish State Visit she wore the Medinaceli Diademe (Spanish Wedding Gift Diademe) on her hairdo.

During the Swedish State Visit she wore a few prongs as a necklace, combined with aquamarines.

So the Spanish State Visit was the only one on which she wore a diademe, after de death of her spouse, King Baudouin.

Henri M. 03-21-2007 03:35 AM

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa
 
This time she wore the Elisaveta Michailovna Diademe with greater effect (more rounder, as a crown) than in The Hague, last year.

The Grand-Duchess in The Hague

The Grand-Duchess in Brussels

But I disagree with the ladies praising her hairdo: in bothcases I thought it was ill-fitting for such a grand piece. I remain with my mantra: please wear your hair 'up' when placing a diademe.

By the way: the jewels in The Hague (all diamonds) did suit the Grand Duchess better than the jewels worn yesterday. That dog collar made her look more overweight than she already is (looks too tight around her neck).

:flowers:

alexandresylvie 03-21-2007 05:09 AM

link for Galadinner (Source Belga.be) BelgaPicture

Stefan 03-21-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
Out of my heart (correct me if I'm wrong)

Only during the Spanish State Visit she wore the Medinaceli Diademe (Spanish Wedding Gift Diademe) on her hairdo.

During the Swedish State Visit she wore a few prongs as a necklace, combined with aquamarines.

So the Spanish State Visit was the only one on which she wore a diademe, after de death of her spouse, King Baudouin.

Then she wore the spanish wedding Gift tiara as a necklace on this Visit. I think she wore it also on a later State Visit as Necklace but again with Aquamarines.

dazzling 03-21-2007 07:15 AM

Pictures from the gala are great, its nice to see everyone dressed up & the beautiful tiaras. Princess Astrid is in a beautiful elie saab couture gown, that color looks great on her though i dont like the hair, she is wearing a beautiful tiara.I liked everyones outfit for the dinner, all looked very elegent. Maria-teresa's dress is not what id like to see her in, though it was a nice color. why does Mathilde keep wearing the same tiara over & over? its a nice one,but ive not seen her in a different one

Henri M. 03-21-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling
Why does Mathilde keep wearing the same tiara over & over? its a nice one,but ive not seen her in a different one

Because she has only one diademe.

:flowers:

The Queen
- Diademe of the Nine Provines (Gift from the Antwerp Diamond Industry and the Belgian people)
- Small Art Dco Bandeau

Queen Fabiola
- Medinaceli Diademe (Spanish Wedding Gift Diademe)
- Small Wolfers Diademe (Gift from the Antwerp Diamond Industry)
- some bigger and smaller jewels

The Duchess of Brabant
- Laurel Leaf Diademe (Gift from the Belgian Nobility)

Princess Claire
- Small converted necklace

You see that the Belgians hardly have purchased any pieces. It mostly are gifts.
It also are not very old pieces. They also lack parures, demi-parures, substantial bracelets, broches, etc.

Princess Astrid has no jewels from the Belgian royal family but from the House of Savoia-Aosta (heirlooms of her spouse).

Stefan 03-21-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
Because she has only one diademe.

:flowers:

Perhaps she could loan the bandeau from Queen Paola like she has for her Wedding Day. Also she worn the new necklaces last year in Sweden and Luxemburg. perhaps she could convert them to small tiaras. Wonder if Astrid could wear the grand emerald necklace she wore last mont in Oslo as tiara. Also Paola has a small necklace which she wore last year during the dutch State-Visit who would make a nice little tiara. In her years as Princess of Liege she has worn the necklace which she wore yesterday evening as tiara but not anymore after becoming Queen.

viola 03-21-2007 07:35 AM

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa looks wonderful, and wow the tiara.

Shadiyah2086 03-21-2007 09:52 AM

Princess Astrid's dress looks like something you'd wear to the prom. Not to a state dinner. I think it would have looked better if it was different colour like a royal blue or a forest green. Not bright yellow I mean way to make yourself stand out.

anneke 03-21-2007 10:58 AM

on PPE Agency some beautiful pics of the visit to the town Brugge.
The grand duchess Maria Teresa and queen Paola.

Sira 03-21-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmabruin
Maria- teresa looks wonderful.


I agree with you Elmabruin.
The colour of the dress suits her very well.

lisamaria 03-21-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
But I disagree with the ladies praising her hairdo: in bothcases I thought it was ill-fitting for such a grand piece. I remain with my mantra: please wear your hair 'up' when placing a diademe.

By the way: the jewels in The Hague (all diamonds) did suit the Grand Duchess better than the jewels worn yesterday. That dog collar made her look more overweight than she already is (looks too tight around her neck).

:flowers:

I don't think MT really has a face for an updo, not everybody does. I know I'm alone with this, but I hate the tiara she is wearing. Very Miss Havisham, on anyone par maybe GD Josephine-Charlotte.

Queen Paola is very beautiful and Queen Fabiola... sheer, pure style. She is very much in the same league with Coco Chanel and Diane Vreeland :flowers:

Kelly 03-21-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
You see that the Belgians hardly have purchased any pieces. It mostly are gifts.
It also are not very old pieces. They also lack parures, demi-parures, substantial bracelets, broches, etc.

Princess Astrid has no jewels from the Belgian royal family but from the House of Savoia-Aosta (heirlooms of her spouse).

Is there any reason as to why they do not have any other pieces? Have they been sold in the past years?

Stefan 03-21-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly
Is there any reason as to why they do not have any other pieces? Have they been sold in the past years?

A few tiaras where given to Princess Marie-Jos when she married the future King Umberto II. of Italy. Then the big Cartier diamond tiara who was in the posession of Queen Elisabethj was left to her oldest son King Lopold III., his second wife Princess Lilian who inherited it after his death sold it at auction which was a bigh shame as it was a really beautiful tiara. And from a lot of pieces it is not known what hapened to them. For example the emerald necklace/Tiara of queen Astrid was not seen for at last 50 years. it can be assumed that a lot of pieces are still in the vaults of Queen fabiola but as she is not to fond of jewels she doesn't wear them. perhaps a few pieces will sho up after she has passed away.

Marengo 03-21-2007 02:28 PM

Some have been auctioned by Princess Lilian and some were inherited by GD Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg and Queen Marie-Jose of Italy.

They probably don't have the money to buy some new pieces (or they prefer to spend the money otherwise). This branch of Coburgs was never that rich, I believe. Most of Leopold II's Congo money went to his daughters and mistress(es?) instead of to his nephew Albert I.

Marengo 03-21-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan
And from a lot of pieces it is not known what hapened to them. For example the emerald necklace/Tiara of queen Astrid was not seen for at last 50 years. it can be assumed that a lot of pieces are still in the vaults of Queen fabiola but as she is not to fond of jewels she doesn't wear them. perhaps a few pieces will sho up after she has passed away.

Didn't GD Maria-Theresa wear that necklace yesterday :rolleyes:

Sancia 03-21-2007 02:35 PM

Am I the only one to think that princess Astrid does urgently need a fashion advisor?

Hereditary Mapmaker 03-21-2007 02:38 PM

Yes - the Belgians seem to have less jewels and smaller jewels than the other families. But I don't understand what all the discussion is going to do to change that. If it mattered so much to them, they would purchase more. Or better yet, if it matters so much to the members of this forum, perhaps they could pool their resources, purchase an appropriate piece or parure and donate it to the Belgian Royal Family, just as many pieces came into the vaults of just about every other dynasty. I also find it somewhat offensive that some people (on other forum sites) are suggesting that Queen Fabiola has some sort of responsibility/obligation/moral imperative to give her personal jewelry to the other Belgian women or to leave it to them after her death. I doubt that she would ever see this but I hope she does exactly what she pleases with them, as they are her own property.

Back to the issue of the Belgian jewelry, IMO Queen Paola doesn't appear to greatly enjoy the time, work, and effort involved with these events, so maybe she doesn't really care. As far as her hairdo at this event, I think she looked great. Her hair style didn't cover up the tiara. The tiara didn't overwhelm her because her hair was a little longer and styled differently. And the hairstyle itself seems contemporary and makes her appear younger.

Mapper

Stefan 03-21-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo
Didn't GD Maria-Theresa wear that necklace yesterday :rolleyes:

No i meant this one

tdarlene 03-21-2007 03:32 PM

Princess Mathilde was really beautiful at the gala dinner, she looked just great, I liked especially her dress.

tdarlene 03-21-2007 03:36 PM

PPE Agency and Getty Images have some photos of today:

PPE Agency

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

flcty 03-21-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielane
Am I the only one to think that princess Astrid does urgently need a fashion advisor?

No your not the only one, ;) Danielane. Heck I couldn't even tell what color it was when I first saw a pic of her. :lol:

Henri M. 03-21-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly
Is there any reason as to why they do not have any other pieces? Have they been sold in the past years?

It has to do with specific family-conditions and situations.

In the Orange-Nassau family all possessions acquired in all those centuries by all those ancestors became in hands of two heiresses who were a single kid (Queen Wilhelmina 1880-1962 and Queen Juliana 1911-2004). Between 1934 and 1937 the royal family even did count of no more than.... two persons: Queen Wilhelmina and her daughter Princess Juliana. Also the family is much, much longer a reigning family. The Netherlands Queen can still wear jewels with diamonds or pearls once worn by Mary of Orange born Stuart (1662-1664), which is an unbelievable provenance, of course.

The present Belgian dynasty came on the throne in 1831 and did actually acquire an impressive number of jewels. But many Belgian princesses engaged in prestigious marriages but lost all due to disasters, to sale, to break-ups, to inheritances.

Princess Charlotte of Belgium (daughter of Leopold I) became Empress of Mexico, but revolution broke out, her husband Maximilian was executed and she returned to Belgium, broken, with a mental illness and a progressive form of paranoia. From the imperial treasures hardly anything was left. She was totally dependant on the dotations from her Belgian relatives and her Austrian in-laws.

Princess Louise of Belgium (daughter of Leopold II) married a distant relative from 'the rich side' of the dynasty Saxen-Coburg and Gotha. But she had a dazzling lifestyle and a hole in her hand. She managed it to spoil both her own as well her husband's fortune on a glamorous lifestyle. After a divorce, a forced interment in a psychiatric clinic and a remarriage she died in extremely poor circumstances.

Princess Stphanie of Belgium (daughter of Leopold II) married the Austrian Heir, Archduke Rudolph. Her prestigious marriage did cost a fortune in her dowry which was loaded with art, jewels, gold- silver and crystalware. The marriage was a drama. Her spouse committed suicide with his matresse at Mayerling Castle. As dowager she was allowed to keep all her jewels and privileges, as long as she did not remarry. But she felt in love with a Hungarian count, a 'mesailliance' in the eyes of both the Belgian and Austrian Court. She lost all her privileges. In the end she died in a Benedictine convent.

Princess Clmentine (daughter of Leopold II) had a good marriage, for a change, with Prince Napoleon Victor Bonaparte. Her dowry was not as grand as her sister Stphanie's, but did also not grow because Prince Napoleon was no member of a reigning dynasty and had to manage his lifestyle with his estate. Most likely her jewels ended with her daughter Princess Marie Clotilde, who got 10 children.

The contributions of jewelry to the collection by Queen Elizabeth, Queen Astrid, Princess Lilian, Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola were pretty minimal. It is rumoured that King Leopold wasin financial troubles and sold magnifique jewels in the 1950's and 1960's. In the 1920's the Diademe of the Nine Provinces was a gift. After WWII the only major addition was a gift as well: the Medinaceli Diademe, chosen by Madame Franco herself.

Princess Robijn 03-21-2007 05:49 PM

Princess Mathilde looked amazing this evening, she wore the red dress she also wore in Sweden last year.

PPE has pictures

Henri M. 03-21-2007 05:58 PM

Earring = pendant
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
Princess Mathilde looked amazing this evening, she wore the red dress she also wore in Sweden last year.

PPE has pictures

Tonight the Princess wore one of her earrings (she wore yesterday) as a pendant. A sort of light rose stone.

fanletizia 03-21-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
Princess Mathilde looked amazing this evening, she wore the red dress she also wore in Sweden last year.

PPE has pictures

Poor Queen Fabiola :ohmy:

SASSY 03-21-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanletizia
Poor Queen Fabiola :ohmy:



Are you referring to her clothing?

le soleil 03-21-2007 11:50 PM

queen fabiola was fabulous!she looks great in her dress and her jewels matches her outfit!maybe fanletizia was referring to the tiaras!

fanletizia 03-22-2007 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le soleil
queen fabiola was fabulous!she looks great in her dress and her jewels matches her outfit!maybe fanletizia was referring to the tiaras!

I talk about to that she walks very curved, is she ill?

drimal 03-22-2007 06:50 AM

Nice pics about the State Visit of the Grand Ducal couple in Belgium on wort.lu

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_01.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_03.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_05.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_06.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_07.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_11.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_12.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_13.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_14.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_20.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../visite_24.jpg

dazzling 03-22-2007 07:00 AM

i cant get over myself how god mathilde looked in the red dress. Queen fabolia is looking good for her age but she does have a wardrobe problem, its great to see her with the family at varioues events.

dazzling 03-22-2007 07:05 AM

this is nice picture - MT & Henri (gettyimages)
MT looked very nice on the second day outing. does anyone know how close the Luxembourg family is with the belgium royals?

Marengo 03-22-2007 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan
No i meant this one

Ah, I always thought that those were sapphires. I never saw a coloured picture of it anyway. But indeed we have no idea what happened to it, but as it was last worn by Lilian in the 50-ties or 60-ties, I suspect they sold it to.

To Henri: the jewels of Empress Carlota went to the Belgian RF indeed. I believe Queen Marie-Jose of Italy inherited one of the tiaras even. But most of the jewels were said to be sold by Leopold II, to finance his projects in the Congo. Not a very gentlemanlike thing to do, but then Leopold II was never bothered with high moral standards :smile: .

Zonk 03-22-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling
this is nice picture - MT & Henri (gettyimages)
MT looked very nice on the second day outing. does anyone know how close the Luxembourg family is with the belgium royals?

The Luxembourg family is related to the Belgium royals via marriage.
The Grand Duke's mother (the late Grand Duchess Josephine) was the sister King Albert. Thus the Grand Duke and Phillipe, Astrid and Laurent are first cousins. Grand Duke is nephew of King Albert, etc.

In addition, there are a lot of godmothers/godfathers between families. The late Grand Duchess Josephine and Princess Astrid for example.

Empress 03-22-2007 08:43 AM

Above and beyond that they are all cousins and aunts and uncles through intermarriage.

RachelD 03-22-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling
this is nice picture - MT & Henri (gettyimages)
MT looked very nice on the second day outing. does anyone know how close the Luxembourg family is with the belgium royals?

What a lovely picture! Thanks Dazzling!

More pictures (from GettyImages):
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7365...6E09CDD8564690

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7365...A63CBD4B6DEEA8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7365...C9C2EDB6CCD87A

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7365...7A4989E858E2F6

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7365...627D505AF73971

princess gertrude 03-22-2007 12:35 PM

Wow - I can't get over how good Paola looked! Is it me or does she look like she has a new fashion advisor and has had some "work" done! In any event, she looks GREAT! MT looks good, but that HUGE tiara really does nothing for her. Her clothes look good this trip.

mathilde16 03-22-2007 12:49 PM

fabioa's caot, she wore it at the arrival of the concert:
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2007/07032152.jpg

but mathilde wore it at the end of the concert
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2007/07032161.jpg

It was really cold, i think?

RachelD 03-22-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess gertrude
Wow - I can't get over how good Paola looked! Is it me or does she look like she has a new fashion advisor and has had some "work" done! In any event, she looks GREAT! MT looks good, but that HUGE tiara really does nothing for her. Her clothes look good this trip.

You know, I have to agree with you Princess Gertrude.
MT has had some lovely outfits (so far) this visit. BUT, that tiara...I think it's just too much for someone that is not that tall. I wonder how tall she is?
It just seems that instead of MT wearing the tiara, the tiara is wearing MT.
It's so tall and bulky...and she's a little on the short side...:flowers:

mathilde16 03-22-2007 12:53 PM

Yes, she has one tiara, she got it from the all the duke and duchesses in Belgium.
That mean that is a real special tiara for her, because her father is a duke and her mother a duchess

RachelD 03-22-2007 01:07 PM

Hey! Pictures from today (GettyImages)

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7366...F4BAA9507CC4E3

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7366...8DD08A0DD5325A

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7366...CB74AA32D9C7F1

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7366...9164FFEA21DBCE

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7366...0D5581202995B2

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7366...2F76D43781C784


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises