The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royalty Past, Present, and Future (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   The Real Names Of The Royal Families (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/the-real-names-of-the-royal-families-1184.html)

Helen88 11-04-2003 10:55 AM

The Real Names Of The Royal Families

I know the Swedish royal family´s name is Bernadotte, but what about all the other ones? Does anyone know?

Robbert 11-04-2003 11:50 AM

In The Netherlands it's: Van Oranje Nassau (and maybe Von Amsberg to because that's the name of late prince Claus)

hrhcp 11-04-2003 12:01 PM

For the english royal family, its Windsor.

michelle 11-04-2003 01:01 PM

Those from Monaco are called : Grimaldi

royal_sophietje 11-04-2003 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Robbert@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:50 pm
In The Netherlands it's: Van Oranje Nassau (and maybe Von Amsberg to because that's the name of late prince Claus)
You're right. Eloise, daughter of Laurentien and Constatijn, haves the name 'von Amsberg'.

Alexandria 11-04-2003 01:19 PM

For the Spanish royals, it's Borbon.

And I believe the Greek royals use "Glucksberg" when absolutely required to have a last name.

Lena 11-04-2003 01:55 PM

Sweden:Bernadotte
Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Danmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
GB: Windsor
Netherlands: Oranien-Nassau or oranje-Nassau
Belgium: Sachsen-Coburg
Spain: Bourbon
Luxemburg: Nassau
Monaco:Grimaldi

But I don´t know the name of Liechtenstein-family.

Helena 11-04-2003 03:14 PM

the last name of the princely family is just 'von und zu Liechtenstein'

hrhcp 11-04-2003 03:16 PM

Quote:

Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 12:55 pm

Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Danmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

The RF's of Denmark and Norway might both originate from here, but in public today, I can not see members of these families having the same last name ???

Lena 11-04-2003 03:33 PM

It´s clear, that they have the same name! After the seperation from Sweden (in 1905), Norway also got an own Royal house (again), and so prince Carl of Danmark (known as king Haakon VII) became king. He was a brother of king Christian X of Danmark. And that´s the reason why they have the same name!

yazz 11-04-2003 04:35 PM

Morocco : el Alaoui
Jordan : something like "al hashem"

TOMMIX 11-04-2003 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Helen88@Nov 4th, 2003 - 9:55 am
I know the Swedish royal family´s name is Bernadotte, but what about all the other ones? Does anyone know?
European: Riegning Families-
Belgium- Wettin
Denmark- Oldenberg
Great Britain- Windsor
Liechtenstein- Liechtenstein
Luxembourg- Nassau
Monaco- Grimaldi
Netherlands- Orange-Nassau
Norway- Oldenburg
Spain- Borbon
Sweden- Bernadotte
Non-reigning Families-
Albania- Zogu
Austria- Habsburg-Lorraine
Bulgaria- Wettin
1- France- Bourbon
2- France- Bonaparte
Prussia- Hohenzollern
Bavaria- Wittlesbach
Hanover- Guelf
Saxony- Wettin
Wurttemberg- Wurttemberg
Greece- Oldenburg
Italy- Savoy
Montenegro- Petrovic-Njegos
Portugal- Braganza
Roumania- Hohenzollern
Russia- Romanov
The Two Sicilies- Bourbon
Yugoslavia/Serbia- Karadjordjevic

Source of information- Europe's Royal Families
By-Maria Kroll & Jason Lindsey
Compiled and edited by Burke's Peerage
Copyright- 1979 :heart:

TOMMIX 11-04-2003 05:39 PM

As a follow up to my last post- What I posted were the"Family" names as opposed to their "House" names. There is a difference. They are not the same in many cases.

hrhcp 11-04-2003 06:23 PM

Quote:

TOMMIX  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:39 pm

As a follow up to my last post- What I posted were the"Family" names as opposed to their "House" names. There is a difference. They are not the same in many cases.

Quote:

Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 2:33 pm

It´s clear, that they have the same name! .....And that´s the reason why they have the same name!

Thank you for your post, Tommix.

I agree, Lena both Royal Houses (of Denmark and Norway) come from the same "House", but what I failed to note in my post, was that it was my assumption that the surnames in today's passports would surely be different names ?

hrhcp 11-04-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

TOMMIX    Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm

Prussia- Hohenzollern

Hanover- Guelf

Roumania- Hohenzollern

Actually, I think Roumania is: Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen because it was my understanding that this south branch of the family is Roman Catholic, and the Rumanians wanted a Catholic as king (while the Prussian side of Hohenzollern is Lutheran).

I wonder about Hanover, that there is no reference to "Welfen" ?

hrhcp 11-06-2003 12:59 PM

Actually Hannover is "von Hannover"

see : http://www.echr.coe.int/Eng/Press/2003/nov...er06112003E.htm

TOMMIX 11-07-2003 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 6th, 2003 - 11:59 am
Actually Hannover is "von Hannover"

see : http://www.echr.coe.int/Eng/Press/2003/nov...er06112003E.htm

:flower: Actually you are wrong..........The FAMILY name IS as I stated in my previous post.
Surley Burkes Peerage, [my source], is superior and far more authoritative than the website you mention.
As for your comment about the Roumanian Royal family's name in your other post, you are correct that Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is the House name, but as we were asked for the family names, Hohenzollern is correct. :flower:

Alexandria 11-07-2003 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TOMMIX@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium- Wettin
I don't think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks!

Quote:

Greece-          Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name.

cuervo 11-07-2003 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria+Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TOMMIX@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium-&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Wettin
I don&#39;t think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks&#33;

Quote:

Greece-* * * * *&nbsp; Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name. [/b][/quote]
Maybe CHRISTIANS???

TOMMIX 11-07-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria+Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TOMMIX@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium-&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Wettin
I don&#39;t think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks&#33;

Quote:

Greece-* * * * *&nbsp; Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name. [/b][/quote]
:heart: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg is the HOUSE name of both Denmark&#39;s and Greece&#39;s Royals. Their FAMILY name is Oldenburg.
As I noted in several previous postings the HOUSE name and the FAMILY names are not always the same.
The poster who began this thread was asking for the FAMILY names not the House names. :flower: