The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Imperial Family of Japan (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   What do the imperial family actually do besides public duties? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/what-do-the-imperial-family-actually-do-besides-public-duties-11803.html)

dragonsfire8 01-10-2007 11:27 PM

What do the imperial family actually do besides public duties?
 
Besides all the public events and duties the older members of the imperial family actually perform or attened, what do they do with the rest of their time? :huh:

And what about the younger members, besides school and school related activities what else do they actually do?

Charlotte1 01-11-2007 12:49 AM

The Emperor is a world renowned scientists in the area of research into fish. He has a laboratory in the ground of the Imperial Palace. The Empress writes and illustrates children's books.

The Emperor's brother Prince Hitachi carries out research into cancer treatment, I can't remember at what facility. His wife Princess Hanako translates children's books from English into Japanese.

Prince Mikasa ( the Emperor's uncle) although now 91 in his younger days was an academic in middle eastern archeology. His son Prince Tomohito also went on archeological digs.

Prince Tomohito's now deceased younger brother Prince Takamado was the director of the Japan Foundation. He also wrote ballet reviews for newspapers.

Prince Naruhito's area of expertise is waterways and he plays viola in an orchestra.

Prince Akishino has a PhD in fish research too I think and carries out research.

Their sister the former Princess Sayako worked as a paid researcher for the ornithology institute and carried out research into kingfishes.

Prince Tomohito's oldest daughter is at university at Oxford, his younger daughter just graduated from Gakushuin university in Tokyo.

Prince Takamado's oldest daughter is studying at Edinbourgh University, her 2 younger sisters are still in high school.

dragonsfire8 01-11-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
The Emperor is a world renowned scientists in the area of research into fish. He has a laboratory in the ground of the Imperial Palace. The Empress writes and illustrates children's books.

The Emperor's brother Prince Hitachi carries out research into cancer treatment, I can't remember at what facility. His wife Princess Hanako translates children's books from English into Japanese.

Prince Mikasa ( the Emperor's uncle) although now 91 in his younger days was an academic in middle eastern archeology. His son Prince Tomohito also went on archeological digs.

Prince Tomohito's now deceased younger brother Prince Takamado was the director of the Japan Foundation. He also wrote ballet reviews for newspapers.

Prince Naruhito's area of expertise is waterways and he plays viola in an orchestra.

Prince Akishino has a PhD in fish research too I think and carries out research.

Their sister the former Princess Sayako worked as a paid researcher for the ornithology institute and carried out research into kingfishes.

Prince Tomohito's oldest daughter is at university at Oxford, his younger daughter just graduated from Gakushuin university in Tokyo.

Prince Takamado's oldest daughter is studying at Edinbourgh University, her 2 younger sisters are still in high school.

OK....What about Princess Masako and Kiko? Do they just sit around all day at home at prepare their kids, Princesses Aiko, Mako, Kako, and Prince Hisahito for the rest of the day?

Also I think in another thread mentions that the older members of the imperial family only worked as part time researchers? As for the Emperor, I thought that he had little time to actually do research, if that is true, what does do with most of his time besides research?

monica17 01-11-2007 01:27 AM

I think Princess Takamado also writes children's books.

Charlotte1 01-11-2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonsfire8
OK....What about Princess Masako and Kiko? Do they just sit around all day at home at prepare their kids, Princesses Aiko, Mako, Kako, and Prince Hisahito for the rest of the day?

Also I think in another thread mentions that the older members of the imperial family only worked as part time researchers? As for the Emperor, I thought that he had little time to actually do research, if that is true, what does do with most of his time besides research?

At the moment Princess Masako isn't doing much except trying to get healthy, but the crown prince and princess have a heavier official workload than the minor royals.

Princess Kiko has done the first part of her PhD in psychology. She also has quite a heavy official workload, although currently she's been given time off to care for her new baby.

The Emperor has a very heavy official workload, it's all listed on the official site (kunaicho) last year he carried out over 1000 official duties, that's more than any other monarch. In comparison QEII carried out over 500. The official site also lists all the official engagements for the Empress. The research into fish he does with his free time, it's not counted as official duties.

LadyK 01-11-2007 10:09 AM

Wow. They're so intelligent! I think that stuff is so cool, the "other" work royals do.

dragonsfire8 01-11-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
At the moment Princess Masako isn't doing much except trying to get healthy, but the crown prince and princess have a heavier official workload than the minor royals.

Princess Kiko has done the first part of her PhD in psychology. She also has quite a heavy official workload, although currently she's been given time off to care for her new baby.

The Emperor has a very heavy official workload, it's all listed on the official site (kunaicho) last year he carried out over 1000 official duties, that's more than any other monarch. In comparison QEII carried out over 500. The official site also lists all the official engagements for the Empress. The research into fish he does with his free time, it's not counted as official duties.

Thanks for the info.

But what do these "Official Duties" include? Is it in the sence of just appearing in a few photo shoots, meetings, public events, state/official visits....etc.

And just how "heavy" is their official workload that it is enough to land Princess Masako in this kind of condition, health wise. Hope she gets better soon!!!

Carrying out more than 1000 official duties is pretty intense for anyone, young or old, I find that its amazing that the Emperor can keep up with the pace. And who exactlly plans out these events and do they actually consider it healthy for the Emperor to be so busy at his age? It cannot be healthy, in my personal opinion, for him or anybody else.

Charlotte1 01-11-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonsfire8
Thanks for the info.

But what do these "Official Duties" include? Is it in the sence of just appearing in a few photo shoots, meetings, public events, state/official visits....etc.

And just how "heavy" is their official workload that it is enough to land Princess Masako in this kind of condition, health wise. Hope she gets better soon!!!

Carrying out more than 1000 official duties is pretty intense for anyone, young or old, I find that its amazing that the Emperor can keep up with the pace. And who exactlly plans out these events and do they actually consider the healthy for the Emperor to be so busy at his age? It cannot be healthy, in my personal opinion, for him or anybody else.

Look on the official site (kunaicho) and then go to his latest birthday interview, after the interview all the previous years official duties are mentioned. It's quite precise mentioning exactly how many meetings, trips etc he carried out.

And yes his schedule is quite hectic, this year in his son Prince Akishino in his birthday interview said he was concerned about the fact that his parents were expected to carry out so many official duties at their age.

dragonsfire8 01-11-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
Look on the official site (kunaicho) and then go to his latest birthday interview, after the interview all the previous years official duties are mentioned. It's quite precise mentioning exactly how many meetings, trips etc he carried out.

And yes his schedule is quite hectic, this year in his son Prince Akishino in his birthday interview said he was concerned about the fact that his parents were expected to carry out so many official duties at their age.

Hmmm....Thanks for the info.

Just wondering...where can I find Prince Akishino's birthday interview text...I know that the official site usually post the interviews for every year, but I cant seem to find the latest one for Prince Akishino.

Charlotte1 01-12-2007 03:29 AM

For some of the interviews the English translation isn't done right away, Akishino's 2006 interview and also Masako's written answers one for 2006 aren't in English on the official site.

Look in the thread on Akishino at the time of his birthday Nov 30th and you'll find extracts from his 2006 interview in the news reports. Or else just be patient and eventually the English translation will go up on the official site.

dragonsfire8 01-13-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
For some of the interviews the English translation isn't done right away, Akishino's 2006 interview and also Masako's written answers one for 2006 aren't in English on the official site.

Look in the thread on Akishino at the time of his birthday Nov 30th and you'll find extracts from his 2006 interview in the news reports. Or else just be patient and eventually the English translation will go up on the official site.

Thanks. But does anybody know if they are posted in Japanese on the official site?

Did Princess Masako's written answers to her interview include here activities for the past year, that is if anybody knows. Is there a summary on the interview somewhere so that I have some idea what were her thoughts and opinions were for the past year?

Toledo 01-13-2007 12:33 AM

Imperial Household Agency Homepage
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/eindex.html

Official Duties and Public Activities of the Imperial Family
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e04/ed04.html

Charlotte1 01-13-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonsfire8
Thanks. But does anybody know if they are posted in Japanese on the official site?

Did Princess Masako's written answers to her interview include here activitie for the past year, that is if anybody knows. Is there a summary on the interview somewhere so that I have some idea what were her thoughts and opinions were for the past year?

I've checked, they are on the Japanese site. ( I can read enough Japanese to find them) To read them you will need a computer that's enabled for Japanese script and an ablitity to read Sino-Japanese characters!

If you can't read Japanese your best resource is this website and look in the relevant threads, Mandyy does a great job in posting all the information and photos that are available in English. Masako's thread has articles of her interview last year ( Masako's birthday is Dec 9th)

dragonsfire8 01-13-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
I've checked, they are on the Japanese site. ( I can read enough Japanese to find them) To read them you will need a computer that's enabled for Japanese script and an ablitity to read Sino-Japanese characters!

If you can't read Japanese your best resource is this website and look in the relevant threads, Mandyy does a great job in posting all the information and photos that are available in English. Masako's thread has articles of her interview last year ( Masako's birthday is Dec 9th)

Thanks. I'll have look. The ones posted are for only the main royals, that is if I'm not wrong.

dragonsfire8 01-15-2007 02:31 AM

I assume that the younger members do not have official duties unless they are with their parents or unless absolutely necessary. Is it always just school for the younger members? How is it it done for the younger members of the imperial family?

dragonsfire8 01-31-2007 08:19 PM

Does anyone get the feeling that the IHA controls everything the Imperial family do? I sometimes wonder if the IHA also controls even the bodily needs of the human body, when it comes to the Imperial family, as in telling when to go to the bathroom to do their buissness, how to put on their clothing, when to feel hot or cold....etc?

el-khanz 02-01-2007 02:15 AM

What about Princess Masako and Kiko?
Both have excellent educational background. Kiko have Phd on psychology and Masako was a brilliant diplomat.

dragonsfire8 02-23-2007 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el-khanz
What about Princess Masako and Kiko?
Both have excellent educational background. Kiko have Phd on psychology and Masako was a brilliant diplomat.

Like it is posted in #5, Crown Princess Masako is still recovering. As for Princess Kiko, I think she only done a part of her PhD, but right now is taking time off from completing it because she has to take care of her new baby, Prince Hisahito.

Vanesa 02-23-2007 09:15 PM

The Imperial Family does a loy of things nesides they public duties, as you may see. But I think that being what they are is enough for them. They are a symbol and the Monarchy basis is they are it, no more, no less.

I'm happy that they are cultivated people, interested in a lot of things, but being a royal is a very hard dutie "per se" if well done. Sometimes, people only notices royalty advantages and seapks about royals yatchs, palaces, expensive jewels, sofisticated meals, glittering parties, luxurious holidays...But this is only a part of a royal life, and not all of them are agreeable and glamourous. Of course, nowadays, there are some bad royals (I will not give names) that only takes the best part of their tasks...and these are the worst publicity for Monarchy it could be. Being aware about how they lives, people uses to ask to themselves "And why this man (or woman) must live better than me, if he (she) is a parasite and doesn't do anything but put in nice clothes and go to eat caviar and drink chamagne with other parasites like him (her)? And in some way, they are absolutely right.

Vanesa.:ermm:

dragonsfire8 02-23-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanesa
The Imperial Family does a loy of things nesides they public duties, as you may see. But I think that being what they are is enough for them. They are a symbol and the Monarchy basis is they are it, no more, no less.

I'm happy that they are cultivated people, interested in a lot of things, but being a royal is a very hard dutie "per se" if well done. Sometimes, people only notices royalty advantages and seapks about royals yatchs, palaces, expensive jewels, sofisticated meals, glittering parties, luxurious holidays...But this is only a part of a royal life, and not all of them are agreeable and glamourous. Of course, nowadays, there are some bad royals (I will not give names) that only takes the best part of their tasks...and these are the worst publicity for Monarchy it could be. Being aware about how they lives, people uses to ask to themselves "And why this man (or woman) must live better than me, if he (she) is a parasite and doesn't do anything but put in nice clothes and go to eat caviar and drink chamagne with other parasites like him (her)? And in some way, they are absolutely right.

Vanesa.:ermm:


I could not put it better in my own words. I completely agree, just curious in what they do with the rest of their lives.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises