The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko and family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   A marriage between Prince Hisahito and Princess Aiko? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f126/a-marriage-between-prince-hisahito-and-princess-aiko-11439.html)

Lox 11-22-2006 01:33 PM

A marriage between Prince Hisahito and Princess Aiko?

Is this something that might happen in the future?

Maybe this is a stupid thing even to consider, but I'm pretty sure that Hisahito and Aiko would have been forced to marry each other if the year was 1606, not 2006.

Princess Robijn 11-22-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lox

Maybe this is a stupid thing even to consider, but I'm pretty sure that Hisahito and Aiko would have been forced to marry each other if the year was 1606, not 2006.

I think, if it was 1606, this problem would not have exist, the Crown Prince would have taken another wife or take a concubine. Even if the Crown Prince didn't do eather one of the two, I don't think in 1606 Japan would have excepted an ruling Empress.. (even though Japan has known ruling Empresses, I believe 8 or something, please correct me if I'm wrong ;))

pianohabebi 11-22-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
I think, if it was 1606, this problem would not have exist, the Crown Prince would have taken another wife or take a concubine. Even if the Crown Prince didn't do eather one of the two, I don't think in 1606 Japan would have excepted an ruling Empress.. (even though Japan has known ruling Empresses, I believe 8 or something, please correct me if I'm wrong ;))

You're correct Princess Robijn. From what I have been told by my professor, Japan has had eight empresses since from around 660 BC.

magnik 11-22-2006 03:07 PM

Here you go. List of Emperors of Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Emperors

BeatrixFan 11-22-2006 03:08 PM

I don't think it's impossible. Indeed, the IHA might see it as a solution to a problem. Little Aiko gets to be an Empress and Hisahito gets to be an Emperor.

magnik 11-22-2006 03:22 PM

What about the blood? I mean they are very close related.

LadyK 11-22-2006 03:28 PM

ewwww. Maybe it is immature to say that, but ewwww. They're cousins- it's just wrong.

Lady Bluffton 11-22-2006 05:18 PM

Not necessarily advocating it, but:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041001.html

Apparently cousin marriages don't create a recipe for disaster -- it's just if you keep doing it generation after generation...the gene pool gets really small that way!

Lox 11-22-2006 05:32 PM

Marriages between cousins is still legal in Japan, right? It's legal here in Sweden, anyway.

I think that a marriage between Aiko and Hisahito would be a nice solution to this problem, but ONLY if they really want it themselves. Forced marriages are no good at all.

magnik 11-23-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lox
Marriages between cousins is still legal in Japan, right? It's legal here in Sweden, anyway.

I think that a marriage between Aiko and Hisahito would be a nice solution to this problem, but ONLY if they really want it themselves. Forced marriages are no good at all.

Yes, there're no good at all, but remember that IHA can do anything:mad:

tete 11-30-2006 10:58 AM

i guess it could happen but there is really nothing to accomplish if they did get married, there would have to be more change in the imperial succession laws instead of what might seem a "quick" fix. i dont think the idea should be seen as gross though, this stuff has happened in the past!

Jo of Palatine 11-30-2006 12:15 PM

Doesnt it matter that Aiko is older than her intended? It's not so long that marriages with an older woman were frowned upon in Europe. Hmmm..., maybe not if it was about a throne - Mary Tudor and Philip of Spain come to mind, with Mary a first cousin of Philip's father and some years his senior...

Vanesa 12-03-2006 11:02 PM

I, for one, should like this marriage. There is many, many years I don't see a fully royal marriage. I'm not saying is bad to a royal to marry a commoner. It brings fresh blood to families and all...but a royal marrying a royal is almost a forgotten thing. And I should like to see a Prince marrying a Princesse...at least, time to time! :lol:

Vanesa.

dragonsfire8 01-05-2007 11:15 PM

:yuk: Although it would be wrong for this to happen...come on they are cousins for crying out loud!!! But considering what the IHA can and could do, unless something changes to limit their influences and allow women on the throne, I'll bet all my money on the IHA doing something as crazy, stupid, and disgusting as this.:furious:

Lakshmi 01-05-2007 11:34 PM

No way. I don't see this happening. I know in the past there were arranged marriages between close cousins in almost all monarchies. But I think it will not happend in Japan. Both Akihito and Naruhito had wives who were commoners and marriages were no arranged.

Elspeth 01-06-2007 02:48 AM

I doubt that the IHA would be all that bothered; female royals seem to be superfluous to requirement, after all. As long as Prince Hisahito doesn't want to go and marry a blue-eyed blonde foreigner, I don't suppose he'll be expected to marry a Japanese royal. The IHA doesn't seem to have any particular fondness for the present Crown Prince and his family, after all.

Rossina 01-06-2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lox

I cant say yes or No .... maybe...:smile:

Sister Morphine 01-06-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
I doubt that the IHA would be all that bothered; female royals seem to be superfluous to requirement, after all. As long as Prince Hisahito doesn't want to go and marry a blue-eyed blonde foreigner, I don't suppose he'll be expected to marry a Japanese royal. The IHA doesn't seem to have any particular fondness for the present Crown Prince and his family, after all.

I agree, I think their treatment of CPss Masako has been downright deplorable.

That said, I hope he DOES marry someone like that, and she looks like Paris Hilton. That oughta give them a right fright, no? :lol:

Furienna 01-27-2007 07:24 PM

I agree, that back in the day, Japanese princes could only marry princesses. Heck, even most of the concubines had some imperial blood, didn't they? And even though the imperial family was bigger back then, I'm sure, that there had to be many marriages between first cousins. However, I don't think this has to happen to princess Aiko and prince Hisahito. Say what you want about the IHA, but I don't think even they could pull this off now in the 21rst century.

noriko_barbarossa 01-28-2007 06:05 PM

i don't think it's gonna happen...this is the 21st century not..the Edo period....marrage bethven cousins is ilegal in Japan i think...Say what you want about the IHA, but I don't think even they could pull this off now in the 21rst century.