The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Royals with many names and titles (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/royals-with-many-names-and-titles-11343.html)

marian 11-09-2006 06:07 PM

Royals with many names and titles

It is entertained to notice that there are princes and princesses who have diverse names. As the prince of Wales, which complete name is Charles Philip Arthur George.

There are princes, as Ernest of Hannover, husband of the princess Carolina, who has eleven names. It is, for my, curious, because I wonder in order that they will put so many names.

Why will princes receive so many names? :lol:

Australian 11-10-2006 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marian

Why will princes receive so many names? :lol:

I think that royals have many names because they are named after so many ancestors. The parents probably feel they have to honour or pay tribute to past royals. This is just my take on this.

UserDane 11-10-2006 02:50 AM

Queen Margrethe II's cousin Elisabeth has reached the eleven mark as well. Her full name is Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margarethe Désirée - quite a mouthful :ohmy:

Scott 11-10-2006 04:05 AM

Thanks to his Christian names, The Earl of Wessex was already an Earl before he actually became one LOL

EDWARD ANTHONY RICHARD LOUIS !!!!!!!!!

Marengo 11-10-2006 04:05 AM

The eldest daughter of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita of Austria had even more:

Adelheid Maria Josepha Sixta Antonia Roberta Ottonia Zita Charlotte Luise Immakulata Pia Theresia Beatrix Franziska Isabelle Henriette Maximiliane Genoveva Ignatia Marcus d'Aviano.

If I counted correctly Archduchess Adelheid had 21 names.

cute_girl 11-10-2006 04:14 AM

lol..what do they do when filling in offical forms? the future king of England has a pretty long name "philipe arthur louis william windsor"!

leomichel 11-10-2006 05:13 AM

so many names

and my favorite:

Alfonso Maria Isabel Francisco Eugenio Gabriel Pedro Sebastian Pelayo Fernando Francisco de Paula Pio Miguel Rafael Juan José Joaquin Ana Zacarias Elisabeth Simeón Tereso Pedro Pablo Tadeo Santiago Simon Lucas Juan Mateo Andrès Bartolomé Ambrosio Geronimo Agustin Bernardo Candido Gerardo Luis-Gonzaga Filomeno Camilo Cayetano Andrès-Avelino Bruno Joaquin-Picolimini Felipe Luis-Rey-de-Francia Ricardo Esteban-Protomartir Genaro Nicolas Estanislao-de-Koska Lorenzo Vicente Crisostomo Cristano Dario Ignacio Francisco-Javier Francisco-de Borja Higona Clemente Esteban-de-Hungria Ladislado Enrique Ildefonso Hermenegildo Carlos-Borromoeo Eduardo Francisco-Régis Vicente-Ferrer Pascual Miguel-de-los-Santos Adriano Venancio Valentin Benito José-Oriol Domingo Florencio Alfacio Benére Domingo-de-Silos Ramon Isidro Manuel Antonio Todos-los-Santos de Borbón,Infant of Spain and Portugal (Madrid 15 Nov 1866-Madrid 28 Apr 1934)

You can count on 19th century catolic royal families (mainly Spain and Portugal) to break all records as far as names are concerned...

UserDane 11-10-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott
Thanks to his Christian names, The Earl of Wessex was already an Earl before he actually became one LOL

EDWARD ANTHONY RICHARD LOUIS !!!!!!!!!

LOL - well spotted Scott :flowers:

Marengo 11-10-2006 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leomichel
and my favorite:

Alfonso Maria Isabel Francisco Eugenio Gabriel Pedro Sebastian Pelayo Fernando Francisco de Paula Pio Miguel Rafael Juan José Joaquin Ana Zacarias Elisabeth Simeón Tereso Pedro Pablo Tadeo Santiago Simon Lucas Juan Mateo Andrès Bartolomé Ambrosio Geronimo Agustin Bernardo Candido Gerardo Luis-Gonzaga Filomeno Camilo Cayetano Andrès-Avelino Bruno Joaquin-Picolimini Felipe Luis-Rey-de-Francia Ricardo Esteban-Protomartir Genaro Nicolas Estanislao-de-Koska Lorenzo Vicente Crisostomo Cristano Dario Ignacio Francisco-Javier Francisco-de Borja Higona Clemente Esteban-de-Hungria Ladislado Enrique Ildefonso Hermenegildo Carlos-Borromoeo Eduardo Francisco-Régis Vicente-Ferrer Pascual Miguel-de-los-Santos Adriano Venancio Valentin Benito José-Oriol Domingo Florencio Alfacio Benére Domingo-de-Silos Ramon Isidro Manuel Antonio Todos-los-Santos de Borbón,Infant of Spain and Portugal (Madrid 15 Nov 1866-Madrid 28 Apr 1934)

You can count on 19th century catolic royal families (mainly Spain and Portugal) to break all records as far as names are concerned...

How on earth do they come up with all these names? The present Spanish RF covers them all with 'todos los santos', I assume.

I wonder if Infante Alfonso remembered his own names btw.

LadyK 11-10-2006 11:10 AM

Prince Amadeo has seven or eight names

Penny Lane 11-10-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

and my favorite:

I think this one is carrying it just a bit too far,too many names means none of them have any real meaning.I think another reason or givin g so many names is that they may honor a grandparent with a second or other name rather than the first which can be confusing.

norwegianne 11-10-2006 11:45 AM

Quote:

and my favorite:

And then we compare with King Harald of Norway, who only have one name, and wonder what is preferred when it comes to how many names a royal should have... :rofl:

rosana 11-10-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane
Queen Margrethe II's cousin Elisabeth has reached the eleven mark as well. Her full name is Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margarethe Désirée - quite a mouthful :ohmy:

Who is this Elizabeth??

lisamaria 11-10-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

and my favorite:

Guess the parents didn't want to insult anyone who insisted the baby being named after him, nor to upset any of the patron saints :rofl: I really love how the royals don't skimp on the names.

Alison20 11-10-2006 04:58 PM

Is she perhaps the Elizabeth (b1935), daughter of Knud of Denmark, the younger brother of Queen Margrethe II's father, King Frederick IX?

Lady Jennifer 11-10-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo
How on earth do they come up with all these names? The present Spanish RF covers them all with 'todos los santos', I assume.

I wonder if Infante Alfonso remembered his own names btw.

What about the poor wife when they are saying their vows?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosana
Who is this Elizabeth??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison20
Is she perhaps the Elizabeth (b1935), daughter of Knud of Denmark, the younger brother of Queen Margrethe II's father, King Frederick IX?

Yes it is- Link

suturegeisha 11-10-2006 09:00 PM

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg, Archduchess of Austria has nine names:

Marie-Astrid Charlotte Léopoldine Wilhelmine Ingeborg Antoinette Elisabeth Anna Alberta

...but I guess no one can beat Alfonso up there! ^_^

wymanda 11-10-2006 09:10 PM

The one thing that puzzles me is the european royal families who tack Marie or Maria onto the begining of the first name of every female child!

Australian 11-11-2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

and my favorite:

Can you imagine his mother saying all those names during his christening, I wonder how she would remember it all :smile:

crisiñaki 11-11-2006 03:34 AM

Quote:

and my favorite:

I can totally imagine his mother calling him when mad (every parent in the world uses their children's full name when mad):lol::lol::lol:

Alfonso Maria Isabel Francisco Eugenio Gabriel Pedro Sebastian Pelayo Fernando Francisco de Paula Pio Miguel Rafael Juan José Joaquin Ana Zacarias Elisabeth Simeón Tereso Pedro Pablo Tadeo Santiago Simon Lucas Juan Mateo Andrès Bartolomé Ambrosio Geronimo Agustin Bernardo Candido Gerardo Luis-Gonzaga Filomeno Camilo Cayetano Andrès-Avelino Bruno Joaquin-Picolimini Felipe Luis-Rey-de-Francia Ricardo Esteban-Protomartir Genaro Nicolas Estanislao-de-Koska Lorenzo Vicente Crisostomo Cristano Dario Ignacio Francisco-Javier Francisco-de Borja Higona Clemente Esteban-de-Hungria Ladislado Enrique Ildefonso Hermenegildo Carlos-Borromoeo Eduardo Francisco-Régis Vicente-Ferrer Pascual Miguel-de-los-Santos Adriano Venancio Valentin Benito José-Oriol Domingo Florencio Alfacio Benére Domingo-de-Silos Ramon Isidro Manuel Antonio Todos-los-Santos come here!:lol::lol: