The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Jordan (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/)
-   -   Prince Zeid Bin Ra'ad & Princess Sarah Zeid (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/prince-zeid-bin-raad-and-princess-sarah-zeid-10754.html)

Rossina 09-07-2006 05:58 AM

Prince Zeid Bin Ra'ad & Princess Sarah Zeid

Jordanian joins race for UN secretary-general post
Kofi Annan’s term as UN secretary-general set to end in 3 months; Jordanian prince applies as candidate to replace him. If chosen, he will be first Muslim to lead UN
Jordanian Prince Zaid Hussein joined on Tuesday the race to replace Annan whose tenure as secretary-general of the organization is set
to end in less than three months.
Prince Zaid, 42, is the cousin of King Abdullah, and serves as Jordan’s ambassador to the UN. If appointed, he will be the first Muslim to become the UN secretary-general. The appointment of the secretary -general is carried out in two phases – a secret ballot phase at the Security Council, followed by an open vote in the UN General Assembly.
Prince zaid is the eldest son of HRH Prince Raad bin zaid of jordan (and Iraq) and his wife princes Majda raad (born Margratta Lind).
brothers & sisters:
HRH Prince Mired bin Raad
HRHPrince Feras bin Raad
HRH Prince Faisal bin Raad
HRH Princess Fakhrelnissa bint Raad

http://www.jordantimes.com/thu/homenews/homenews1.htm

lil Monkey 09-07-2006 01:10 PM

I Hope it will work out...It wud be great!

Salomé 09-07-2006 04:57 PM

The big favourite for this place is former americain president Bill Clinton,he's also a candidate.

Veram98 09-08-2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salomé
The big favourite for this place is former americain president Bill Clinton,he's also a candidate.

Bill Clinton would be a great successor of Kofi Annan. But it is Asia’s turn. Thus, all official candidates are from that continent. Besides, it is said that the US administration is supporting the candidacy of Prince Zeid.

Salomé 09-08-2006 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veram98
Bill Clinton would be a great successor of Kofi Annan. But it is Asia’s turn. Thus, all official candidates are from that continent. Besides, it is said that the US administration is supporting the candidacy of Prince Zeid.

Do you think it's a question of continent?If so why we had on the head of UN two successive secretary general from Africa Boutros Boutros-Ghali from Egypt and Kofi Annan from Ghana.

What about Lakhdar Ibrahimi (princess' Rym father), UN envoy to ME,he was also a candidate,is he still?

Salomé 09-08-2006 06:57 AM

editted multiply empty lines

The UN’s past Secretaries-General are:

Name Country Term Trygve Lie Norway 1946 - 1952 Dag Hammarskjold Sweden 1953 - 1961 U Thant Burma/Myanmar 1961 - 1971 Kurt Waldheim Austria 1972 - 1981 Javier Perez de Cuellar Peru 1982 - 1991 Boutros Boutros-Ghali Egypt 1992 - 1996 Kofi Annan Ghana 1997 - 2006

The four official candidates are:

Ban Ki-moon South Korea Foreign Minister Jayantha Dhanapala Sri Lanka Senior Advisor to the President Surakiart Sathirathai Thailand Deputy Prime Minister Shashi Tharoor India UN Under Secretary-General for
Communications & Public Information

Other potential, but still non-official, candidates being discussed in the press and in UN circeles include:

Kemal Dervis Turkey UN Development Program Administrator Goh Chok Tong Singapore Former Prime Minister Prince Zeid Hussein Jordan Permanent Representative to the UN Maleeha Lodhi Pakistan High Commissioner to the UK Ashraf Ghani Afghanistan Chancellor Kabul University

http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKIS..._Successor.htm

Salomé 09-08-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Besides, it is said that the US administration is supporting the candidacy of Prince Zeid.

hmmm, don't you think that it has something to do with Prince Raad's interests in Iraq,who claimed to be rightful to succession to rule Iraq after US invasion,this caused a crisis within Iraq,and King Abdallah then toned down the situation by saying that Prince Raad is NOW a jordanian and doesn't have to be involved or to think about interests in Iraq.

I think if Prince Zeid would be choosen on UN's head,that will serve only US and Raad's interests in Iraq, and will not very welcomed by some middle eastern countries,and this is not the purpose of a such as organization:cool:

There's a whole thread already discussed in The Royal Forums about the crisis in Iraq and about the jordanian royal family interests there.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ce+hassan+iraq

Veram98 09-08-2006 11:20 AM

That the next secretary general should come from Asia is part of a tradition to rotate among regions in awarding the job. It’s not a rule (therefore the exceptions in the past). It seems that diplomats have already agreed to follow this time the tradition (therefore only Asian candidates). I heard about it on TV (CNN International, if I remember well).

Lakhdar Brahimi has no chance to get elected, he would be the third African UNSG one after the other.

The Arab states seem to support Prince Zeid:

http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/Story.as...en&DSNO=902605

They would not do it, if the prince or his father had actively claimed the throne of Iraq in the past few years (the one who did this was rather Sherif Ali bin Hussein: a cousin of late king Faisal II by his mother).

lil Monkey 09-08-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

PYes you are right, it's Asia's turn. I didn't know the US supports the candidancy of P.Zaid that's interesting!
my dad met him once in a conference or smthing sometime ago he sayd he's such a very well educated and intelligent man.
I really hope he wud be the successor of Kofi Annan, we need sm1 like him.

Salomé 09-08-2006 11:48 AM

Prince Raad is still the pretendent for Iraqi throne,and so will be his oldest son Zeid,that's why I am thinking that was not a good idea to be candidate for such as delicate position.

Sooner or later the personnal interests would be confused by the interests of nations,and the US support doesn't surprise me then.

I don't say that Zeid doesn't have good skills for such as position,but it would be better if that was used only for diplomacy of Jordan,the country to whom he's supposed to belong now.

lil Monkey 09-08-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Prince Raad is still the pretendent for Iraqi throne,and so will be his oldest son Zeid,that's why I am thinking that was not a good idea to be candidate for such as delicate position.

Sooner or later the personnal interests would be confused by the interests of nations,and the US support doesn't surprise me then.

I don't say that Zeid doesn't have good skills for such as position,but it would be better if that was used only for diplomacy of Jordan,the country to whom he's supposed to belong now.

It's not Zaid bin Raad who claimed interest in Iraq Salome.

Salomé 09-08-2006 12:05 PM

I know the one who claimed in fact is his cousin Sherif Ali.
In my last post I didn't say Zaid bin Raad claimed the throne of Iraq,but I said his father Raad is still the pretendent for Iraqi Throne,and so will be his oldest son Zaid,and that means they have interests there even without claiming.

Veram98 09-08-2006 01:29 PM

Because he doesn’t show any real interest in the throne of Iraq there will be no conflict of interests. Besides, it is now obvious that the US are prefering a republic in Iraq to a monarchy.
I wish Prince Zeid all the best for the election. I think he would be a good choice for the post.

madonna23 09-08-2006 01:59 PM

i would love to see a muslim in the post - but isn't prince zaid too close to the king to be considered for such a position? and wouldn't it be odd to have a prince as a secretary general? that would be truly something for royalty...

i would hope that if he is selected, he gives up his title...

Rossina 09-09-2006 06:17 AM

Ryal hashemite famely of Iraq
  • HRH Prince ZAID ibn Husain 1958/1970, Head of the Royal House of Iraq, born 1898 in Constantinople, son of HM King HUSAIN ibn Ali, King of the Hijaz, Grand Sherif of Mecca, married 1934, Fahrinissa, born 1905, and had issue. He died 18th October 1970 in Paris.
    • HRH Prince RA'AD ibn Zaid (qv)
    • HRH Princess Badia bint Zaid
    • HRH Princess Abdiyah bint Zaid
  • HRH Prince RA'AD ibn Zaid
PRESENT HEAD OF HOUSE: HRH Prince RA'AD ibn Zaid (1970/-)born 18th February 1936 in Berlin, Head of the Royal House of Iraq since 1970, married HRH Princess Majda [née Margaretha Inga Lind], born 5th September 1942 in Arboga, Sweden and has issue.
  • HRH Prince Zaid ibn Ra'ad, born 26th January 1964 in Amman, married Sarah Godfrey.
  • HRH Prince Mired ibn Ra'ad, born 11th June 1965 in Amman, married Dina Khalifeh, and has issue.
    • HRH Princess Shiran bint Mired
    • HRH Prince Arkan ibn Mired
  • HRH Prince Firas ibn Ra'ad, born 12th October 1969 in Amman.
  • HRH Prince Faisal ibn Ra'ad, born 7th March 1975 in Amman.
  • HRH Princess Fakhrelnissa bint Ra'ad, born 11th January 1981.

Salomé 09-09-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madonna23
i would love to see a muslim in the post - but isn't prince zaid too close to the king to be considered for such a position? and wouldn't it be odd to have a prince as a secretary general? that would be truly something for royalty...

i would hope that if he is selected, he gives up his title...

I doubt he will give up his title,he is the Jordanian council in UN because of his royal connetions,regardless to his skills.

In my opinion, to be a pretendent for throne of Iraq which is still in conflict,and also to be the cousin of King Abdallah who's ruling Jordan like an absolute monarchy,is too much delicate to be considered for such as position. The UNGS should be a neutral person.

madonna23 09-09-2006 04:16 PM

I totally agree Salome - I don't know too much about his relationship to Iraq and whether or not his family still considers themselves heirs their, but he is so closely tied to King Abdullah. Of course, the US would love to see him in this position - they would be able to boss him around pretty easily compared to the current Sec. Kofi Annan. I think it would be wonderful to have a Muslim - but one who doesn't have ties to a ruling monarchy or government.

tesaweer 09-09-2006 07:46 PM

Prince Raad bin Zaid is not and was never an iraqi, his uncle prince Faisal bin alhussein was put on the throne of Iraq by the british after he was kicked out by the syrians who rejected him, so he was given Iraq instead. The same went for the other brother Abdallah who was appointed ruler of Transjordan, they were all Hijazis from Mecca but their father stood by the British against the ottomans in what was known as the great arab revolution, thus his children were awarded those thrones with the help of Lawrance of Arabia, the father himself was kicked out and died in exile. As the brother of the by then King Faisal, prince Zaid was appointed ambassador of iraq in England, that was as much for prince Raad as being an iraqi and as was mentioned previously in this thread his mother was not an iraqi either but turkish, so what on earth give him or any other Hashemite the right to the throne of iraq which doesn't exsist anymore. They were brought by the British and their rule was ended so tragically and in a terrible blood bath by the Iraqis , if I were them I'll never go back.

Avalon 09-10-2006 06:40 AM

All the discussion about HRH Prince Zaid bin Raad has been fine and civil so far, but please don't forget that political discussions are strictly forbidden on this board and be careful not to start one.

Thank you for cooperation

Salomé 09-10-2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesaweer
Prince Raad bin Zaid is not and was never an iraqi, his uncle prince Faisal bin alhussein was put on the throne of Iraq by the british after he was kicked out by the syrians who rejected him, so he was given Iraq instead. The same went for the other brother Abdallah who was appointed ruler of Transjordan, they were all Hijazis from Mecca but their father stood by the British against the ottomans in what was known as the great arab revolution, thus his children were awarded those thrones with the help of Lawrance of Arabia, the father himself was kicked out and died in exile. As the brother of the by then King Faisal, prince Zaid was appointed ambassador of iraq in England, that was as much for prince Raad as being an iraqi and as was mentioned previously in this thread his mother was not an iraqi either but turkish, so what on earth give him or any other Hashemite the right to the throne of iraq which doesn't exsist anymore. They were brought by the British and their rule was ended so tragically and in a terrible blood bath by the Iraqis , if I were them I'll never go back.

I don't want to discuss the legitimity of throne of Iraq or of any other country or how they successed to get,because then, lot of royal families who came from other countries and are still reigning and reigned before won't exist,but I was talking about prince Zaid connection to that "Iraqi throne" which is a fact.

Indeed NOW prince RAAD is considered the head of the Iraqi royal house,which makes him the pretendent for the throne,and so is his oldest son Zaid.

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Iraq/iraq3.htm

Salomé 09-10-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Because he doesn’t show any real interest in the throne of Iraq there will be no conflict of interests.

Really?why then he didn't make any dicision or official declaration to abdicate from the head of the iraqi royal house,because untill now,he considers himself the pretendent for the Iraqi throne and considers himself the head of the Iraqi Royal house.
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Iraq/iraq3.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid....stm#royalists

Quote:

Besides, it is now obvious that the US are prefering a republic in Iraq to a monarchy
So it was before 2003;) , but sometimes, interests change the choices.

Quote:

I wish Prince Zeid all the best for the election. I think he would be a good choice for the post

I wish also a Muslim or Arab as a UNGS,it will give an other perception for the role of the UN in that area full of conflicts,I was happy with the good job of the Egyptian (even christian)Boutros Ghali though,BUT not prince Zaid, too much delicate in many sides, and would look like an other lobby which serves the interests on some rather than a neutral organisation which uses the diplomacy for conflicts.

Zonk 09-10-2006 10:14 AM

At this time, I would like to reinforce Avalon's comment that we try to stay off the subject of politics. The moderators are trying to allow a free and honest discussion, so please be careful...we would hate to close this thread or delete political posts.

I would also like to point out this is thread is about the Royal Family of Jordan and not Iraq. And yes, while it is possible for a person to be in line to succession for two or more countries, this particular thread is increasingly becoming a discussion about the Iraq throne and this is not the place for that discussion.

Thank you.

madonna23 09-11-2006 02:33 AM

okay, so even if we ignore zaid & iraq, isn't anyone else bothered by the idea that someone at the head of the un would be a royal? i just think it's very odd - maybe not for members of this forum because we read about royalty and are familiar with it but for the majority of the world, royalty is a very odd thing and to have the representative of the un be royal would just be weird.

Salomé 09-11-2006 06:27 AM

Madonna,of course it's bothering,especially if the royal in Question Zaid,is a very close relative of a king who's ruling and still reigning like an absolute monarch.

If it was a non reigning royal with no power,we could have ignored that,but it's not Zaid's case.

Frothy 09-11-2006 04:32 PM

I admire Prince Zeid (in English docs he seems to spell it that way, Zeid not Zaid). He has done a great job for Jordan in the US and is very moderate. I think he'd be a great UN ambassador. It is good to see his branch of the family featured in the forum.

tesaweer 09-11-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frothy
I admire Prince Zeid (in English docs he seems to spell it that way, Zeid not Zaid). He has done a great job for Jordan in the US and is very moderate. I think he'd be a great UN ambassador. It is good to see his branch of the family featured in the forum.

Can you please tell me of any publication or links about his job or the things he did to jordan in his role in the UN, as many of us have never heard about him before. I read he's just 42 and worked in the UN since the year 2000. Any links would be appreciated ;)

Frothy 10-02-2006 03:34 PM

From the NYT note he spells it "Zeid" not Zaid

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=ht...XZQ5C.Q51wQ7Ek

By ZEID RAL-HUSSEIN
Only if the United Nations has the will to change itself can it change the world.

THE United Nations faces a daunting range of challenges in the 21st century: promoting development without fostering dependency; combating climate change without reducing growth; defending human rights without insisting on one true path. But in the past five years, a specter has risen, casting a shadow across the world: the specter of extremism, instability and injustice gripping the Middle East.

Salomé 10-03-2006 08:34 PM

Quote:

Paper blasts Qatar for failure to back Jordan's UN candidate

Amman - A pro-government Jordanian newspaper on Sunday lashed out at Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad Bin Jabr al-Thani for his refusal to back Jordan's candidate for the post of UN secretary general, Prince Zeid Bin Raad.
The daily al-Rai charged in a front-page article that Qatar's representative at the Security Council 'not only voted against the Jordanian candidate but urged others to follow suit'.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/m...s_UN_candidate

Race for Annan’s successor hots up

Jordan’s UN Ambassador Prince Zeid al-Hussein, who entered the race to succeed Annan only on September 5, came in fourth ahead of former UN disarmament chief Jayantha Dhanapala, a Sri Lankan, they added.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Dis...6091743547.xml

Jordan called their ambassador in Qatar,as Qatar won't support the Jordanian candidate for the UNSG post.

I am not understunding the attitude of Jordanian officials,I think this is a vote,and every country is free to support the candidate who convicts it,and there's no obligation from Qatar to support the Jordanian candidate,if it was so,every vote would create diplomatic crisis as now?

houri 10-04-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Jordan called their ambassador in Qatar,as Qatar won't support the Jordanian candidate for the UNSG post.

I am not understunding the attitude of Jordanian officials,I think this is a vote,and every country is free to support the candidate who convicts it,and there's no obligation from Qatar to support the Jordanian candidate,if it was so,every vote would create diplomatic crisis as now?

As I understood from arabic newpeaper that all Arabs country support Jordan's candidate include Quter but without a reason they changed their mind and support another candidate !
so we don't know what is going on between the two countries .

Salomé 10-04-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houri
As I understood from arabic newpeaper that all Arabs country support Jordan's candidate include Quter but without a reason they changed their mind and support another candidate !

Apparently not,this is only the jordanian version and jordanian papers' version,Qatar was clear before candidature of prince Zeid about the candidate they are supporting,say they never talkek about supporting Zeid's candidature any time,to be accused by changing their mind.

Article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061003/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

In Monday's poll, .....
According to the results, Ban received 14 votes in favor and a white "no opinion" ballot cast by one of the 10 rotating members of the council. Every other candidate received at least one no vote from a veto-wielding member.
Zeid had only two votes in favor and eight against, with one veto.
After the vote on Monday, Qatar's U.N. Ambassador Nassir Al-Nassir confirmed that his nation did not vote for Prince Zeid. He did not specify whether he cast a no vote or expressed no opinion, but said Zeid had entered the race after Qatar had already promised to vote for someone else.
"My foreign minister told them it's late for Jordan to come now with a candidate," al-Nassir said. "We already, a year ago, we gave our commitment to one of the candidates and we cannot play with this."

lil Monkey 10-04-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

even though I am a jordanian an would have loved Prince zeid to get the position, but it's a matter of freedom,Qatar didn't want to vote then fine,what is all this about? They have the right to vote to whomever they want,I was shocked from the Gov's reaction, its a bit over.:ermm:

Salomé 10-04-2006 09:19 PM

Thank you Lil Monkey,I like your partiality even if you are jordanian.

This crisis shows once again that Prince Zeid was not a good choice for this position,everytime that somebody would disagree with him or with the Jordanian Royal family and governoment,this would be taken with big sensitiveness?I do not think that people are looking for that in such as organisation.

I do think that the Jordanain Gov headed by King Abdallah should learn a lot about diplomacy,democracy and fredom of opinions, before trying to be representative in such as organisation.

houri 10-05-2006 02:29 AM

Quote:

Apparently not,this is only the jordanian version and jordanian papers' version,Qatar was clear before candidature of prince Zeid about the candidate they are supporting,say they never talkek about supporting Zeid's candidature any time,to be accused by changing their mind.

Article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061003/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

In Monday's poll, .....
According to the results, Ban received 14 votes in favor and a white "no opinion" ballot cast by one of the 10 rotating members of the council. Every other candidate received at least one no vote from a veto-wielding member.
Zeid had only two votes in favor and eight against, with one veto.
After the vote on Monday, Qatar's U.N. Ambassador Nassir Al-Nassir confirmed that his nation did not vote for Prince Zeid. He did not specify whether he cast a no vote or expressed no opinion, but said Zeid had entered the race after Qatar had already promised to vote for someone else.
"My foreign minister told them it's late for Jordan to come now with a candidate," al-Nassir said. "We already, a year ago, we gave our commitment to one of the candidates and we cannot play with this."

First of all I agree that Qater has the right to choos what ever they want , I just give a review to what I read in the newspeapers to what Jordan upset about , it seems until now that every one blame the other , this case show that no prince should be in that sensitive position .

this two articles for the same newspeaper explains why Jordan is upset !!

http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?se...77&issue=10172

http://www.aawsat.com/details.asp?se...48&issue=10173

houri 10-05-2006 02:35 AM

Another article explain that Qatar told Jordan that they will not support prince Zaid and in the same article Jordan saying Qatar broke the Arabs agreement to support prince Zaid !!!

http://www.elaph.com/ElaphWeb/Politi.../10/181569.htm

Salomé 10-05-2006 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houri
Another article explain that Qatar told Jordan that they will not support prince Zaid and in the same article Jordan saying Qatar broke the Arabs agreement to support prince Zaid !!!

http://www.elaph.com/ElaphWeb/Politi.../10/181569.htm

Broke the Arabs agreement?This is always the Jordanian Gov's version!
Every arab country has his interests,and Jordan's interests are not all Arabs' interests,and this is the problem of the Royal Jordanian candidate.

As far as I know,Arabs didn't gather or meet and choose Prince Zeid to suggest or to represent them for this position,Jordan came,and presented their candidate end of September,without any previous warning!

And Qatar,even though the lonely actual arab country voting in UN,said they were already supporting and other candidate from one year,and they won't change it,and this is their right!.And by the way,nobody find anywhere,that Qatar said anytime that they would support Prince Zaid,and if somebody talked and decided for them without asking their opinion,so this is not their probleme.

shrifia 10-05-2006 09:39 AM

I totally agree with you Salomé.
and I belive that the problem between Quatar and Jordan is more than just a vote in UN. Quatar try always to get some attention by his Other than concept Politics but this time it were her right to vote anyone she chose, and Jordan in my opinion Exaggerated alot :wacko: what's Arabs agreement they talk about every arab country are free to do what she want and not changes his plans because other country had other Projects??!! and anywaye they didn't chose the right candidate.Zeid isn't the right choice.
I really hope that some day a muslim can be in this position but someone else then royal.

shelley 10-05-2006 06:05 PM

I am neither an Arab nor a Muslim, but would also have welcomed a new SG who would have been one or both of the former, for the sake of diversity if nothing else. However, this sort of endeavor is not easily achieved. If as we hear, the Jordanian candidate only entered the arena formally last month, it was way too late. This sort of thing needs years of lobbying and funding. With my respects to our Arab members ( and I know and love the Arab world) I also wonder if en masse the Arab world is sufficently sophisticated to let an Arab SG succeed. If he had to occasionally say or do something which did not follow the mainstream of Arab popular opinion, he might have found himself in trouble back home, where people still say ( and mean it) , ( and please forgive my bad translation ) that 'I and my brother against my cousin, but my cousin and I against the stranger'.

lil Monkey 10-05-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley
'I and my brother against my cousin, but my cousin and I against the stranger'.

nice way you thought of it ;) I agree with you, This is how the case is nowadays!

shelley 10-05-2006 07:04 PM

There are those whom I have talked to who know of my partiality to Prince Hassan, who maintain that this gentleman might have stood a better chance than Prince Zeid, even though he is also royal, as he is generally much better known both in the Arab world and internationally, and is more experienced. I personally do not think that he would want to be restricted by holding down a formal position as now he is a free agent, which he must find quite liberating after over thirty five years of public life.

Salomé 10-07-2006 08:41 PM

Prince Zeid Jordanian Envoy Withdraws From UN Leader Race 6 Oct 2006 06:10 GMT

... Jordanian Envoy Withdraws From UN Leader Race UNITED ... touched off a dispute between Jordan and Qatar, wrote a letter to the Security Council.

source: http://www.einnews.com/qatar/newsfeed-qatar-jordan

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley
There are those whom I have talked to who know of my partiality to Prince Hassan, who maintain that this gentleman might have stood a better chance than Prince Zeid, even though he is also royal, as he is generally much better known both in the Arab world and internationally, and is more experienced. I personally do not think that he would want to be restricted by holding down a formal position as now he is a free agent, which he must find quite liberating after over thirty five years of public life.

I do not discuss P.Hassan's skills,experince and loyality for Jordan,but I don't think either that he would be a better choice than Prince Zeid,for this position,not just because he's a royal and the uncle of an actual head of state,but for the other reason that he had showen some interests in Iraq which I pointed before,and also because of his big loyality for the Hashemite throne,there will be confusion between personal interests and the interests of the others in case of conflicts.

Quote:

I also wonder if en masse the Arab world is sufficently sophisticated to let an Arab SG succeed
Why not,they already agreed to support an arab candidate before ,the Egyptian Boutros Gali to become a UNSG,and so it was.

The problem is not that arabs will/won't support and arab or muslim,because of his he has the same culture,but it's that the candidate should be a good and diplomatic choice between all countries if he would represent them,and not imposed in the last minute.

Frothy 12-16-2006 04:47 PM

HRH Prince Zeid has been appointed Jordan's ambassador to the United States, a promotion from being Ambassador to the UN, a lesser role. Prince Zeid and Princess Sarah will now live in Washington.

Apologies for not having a link, but it is true.

Next Star 01-29-2007 02:20 PM

Prince Zeid and all the other candiates should be looked at by who's the most experience and qualified person to officially succeed Kofi Annan as the U.N Seceretary and not becuase what part of the region of the world they are from.

Veram98 02-27-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frothy
HRH Prince Zeid has been appointed Jordan's ambassador to the United States, a promotion from being Ambassador to the UN, a lesser role. Prince Zeid and Princess Sarah will now live in Washington.

Apologies for not having a link, but it is true.

You are right:

Prince Zeid Bin Ra'ad Begins New Post as Jordan's Ambassador to the United States

Embassy of Jordan (Washington, D.C.) - Press Release

Rossina 04-22-2008 06:02 PM

Prince Raad bin Zaid sons
a52a.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
ce24.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Rossina 10-01-2008 09:26 AM

YouTube - US Withdrawal from Iraq - Prince Zeid Al-Hussein
YouTube - Israeli Security and Mideast Peace - Prince Zeid Al-Hussein

Huda 01-21-2009 03:00 PM

Prince Zeid and Princess Sara
http://www.americantaskforce.org/ima...g%20anthem.jpg

FINCA’s newest board member Soledad DeLeon Hurst (right) is joined with (from left) FINCA Executive Director Rupert Scofield, FINCA Ambassador of Hope Natalie Portman, and Princess Sarah and Prince Zeid of Jordan at a reception at her home. The June 9 event that Ms. DeLeon Hurst hosted introduced new people to FINCA’s work and raised more than $330,000.

http://www.villagebanking.org/site/c...FINCA_News.htm

Princess Sarah and princess Dana Firas
Diplomatic Pouch

Pix for Prince Zeid
Diplomatic Observers Program Photos 2007
HRH Prince Zeid
http://info.law.indiana.edu/pub/libs...s/usr/5628.jpg

salma 01-25-2009 06:48 AM

Prince Zeid
Jordan's Prince Zeid on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

With QNoor
Prince Zeid and Queen Noor at a UPP event on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Huda 02-09-2009 06:10 PM

IMG_0957 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_0958 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_0956 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_0953 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

salma 02-10-2009 07:49 AM

HRH Prince Zeid

Mosaic Foundation Gala 2007
http://photos.washingtonlife.com/ind...&lightbox_page=
http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...f/DSC_0218.jpg
picassa

Huda 03-20-2009 02:37 PM

Flickr Photo Download: Prince Zeid Ra'ad Zeid Al-Hussein

salma 07-26-2009 05:50 AM

http://hopemedicalandeducationalaid....ges/img007.jpg

salma 09-19-2009 01:45 PM

Bloomberg Pre Dinner Cocktail Reception

https://secure.wireimage.com/ItemLis...629&igi=315192

Huda 09-23-2009 06:48 PM

Martin Door Officials Invited to Meet Jordanian Prince

Martin Door Officials Invited to Meet Jordanian Prince

salma 09-24-2009 11:43 AM

2008 Vienna
http://www.panachemag.com/Web/BeSeen/VOB/B8.jpg

Huda 10-09-2009 09:09 PM

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5818/uyuyi.jpg
http://www.wtcut.com/img/nl/9-17-200...roup_large.jpg
US Fish and Wildlife Service

salma 10-17-2009 02:46 PM

Jordan's Washington embassy celebrates King's assumption of his constitutional powers anniversary
http://i35.tinypic.com/15y90nc.jpg

Huda 10-17-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salma (Post 1006145)
Jordan's Washington embassy celebrates King's assumption of his constitutional powers anniversary
http://i35.tinypic.com/15y90nc.jpg

More Pix
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3527/news142985.jpg

Huda 11-09-2009 04:41 PM

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1...esaturday6.jpg

Huda 12-01-2009 12:43 PM

Diplomatic Pouch

Huda 12-29-2009 07:59 PM

Prince Zeid - The List Project: Netroots

Huda 01-05-2010 06:20 PM

The Ambassador of Jordan lends a helping hand at Ludlow-Taylor Elementary School. (Photo by Gail Scott/Photo courtesy of the Embassy of Jordan)
A Different Kind of Party The Ambassador of Jordan lends a helping hand at Ludlow-Taylor Elementary School. (Photo by Gail Scott/Photo courtesy of the Embassy of Jordan) – Washington Life Magazine

Huda 01-12-2010 01:14 PM

9th Congressional Civil Rights Pilgrimage to Alabama

Flickr Photo Download: 9th Congressional Civil Rights Pilgrimage to Alabama

Huda 01-25-2010 02:36 PM

Prince Zeid visited ministry of labor
http://i48.tinypic.com/14e30g7.jpg

Huda 02-04-2010 02:32 PM

Meeting of the Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Lourdes Aranda, Ambassador of Jordan in Washington, competing for Mexico, Prince Zeid Raad Al-Hussein.
http://i45.tinypic.com/15e7qsg.jpg

Rossina 02-08-2010 05:04 AM

PRINCE ZEID: A PHOTO TRIBUTE from MaximsNewsNetwork by Dr. Max Stamper

Huda 02-14-2010 09:38 AM

UNIFEM&rsquo;s 30th Anniversary Gala Dinner<br /><span style="font-weight: normal;">13 May 2006, Hilton New York</span>

Huda 04-27-2010 03:31 AM

Jordanian Consul General Kamel Ayooub, His Highness Prince Zeid Ra’Ad Al-Hussein Jordanian Ambassador to the United States and Sami Twal.

Burlingame, California

http://web.mac.com/philpasquini/Pasq...peimage_13.png
Photojournalism

salma 04-28-2010 10:49 AM

November 2009 Princess Sarah
Imageshack - nov09e.jpg

Rossina 05-26-2010 02:35 PM

Prince Zeid talks about jordan.
Jordan Rules - by Lee Smith > Tablet Magazine - A New Read on Jewish Life

Huda 06-21-2010 06:28 AM

Jordanian Ambassador Prince Zeid Bin Ra'ad and Princess Sarah Zeid. Photo by Tony Powell. The Purple Rain Ball. Swedish Ambassador's residence. May 13, 2010
Washington Life Magazine : Photo Keywords : zeid bin ra'ad*

Princess Sarah Zeid and Jordanian Ambassador Prince Zeid Ra'ad Zeid Al-Hussein. after dark @ THEARC. April 10, 2010
http://washingtonlife.smugmug.com/20...34450235_FjRsv

Huda 06-27-2010 02:55 AM

Barbara, Anna och jag från Sverige med Prinsessan Sara av Jordanien
Nya vänner i världen | Föda Utan Rädsla

Rossina 07-11-2010 01:24 PM

Cabinet decision to transfer Prince Zeid approved by Royal Decree
Cabinet decision to transfer Prince Zeid approved by Royal Decree

Huda 08-01-2010 08:37 AM

The Seventh Assembly of State Parties Meeting in The Hague, Netherlands. Nov 2008.
Cicc asp 7 - a set on Flickr

Frothy 08-19-2010 06:16 AM

what does that transfer mean? Is HRH no longer the Ambassador?

Thanks for all photos of Princess Sarah. She looks stylish and stunning.

Lumutqueen 08-19-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frothy (Post 1125882)
what does that transfer mean? Is HRH no longer the Ambassador?

Thanks for all photos of Princess Sarah. She looks stylish and stunning.

He's being moved to the USA, as ambassador to the Foreign Ministry Headquarters. :smile:

Huda 10-07-2010 05:42 AM

Prince Zeid Ra’ad Zeid Al-Hussein of Jordan, former UN Permanent Representative of Jordan, and Jean-Marie Guéhenno, former head of the UN Department for Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) at the seminar at IPI which State Secretary Espen Barth Eide led. The topic was the way forward for UN peacekeeping and peacebuilding.
At the IPI seminar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Helen of Troy 10-07-2010 12:29 PM

What does that transfer mean? Is HRH no longer the Ambassador?

Transfer is a diplomatic term which refers to an Ambassador being moved at the end of his/her term in country (a) to country(b). Sometimes people are moved back to the Foreign Ministry as Ambassador until they are allocated a new post. I assume Prince Zeid is being moved from Washington as he has finished his term there.

Rossina 10-07-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen of Troy (Post 1144937)
What does that transfer mean? Is HRH no longer the Ambassador?

Transfer is a diplomatic term which refers to an Ambassador being moved at the end of his/her term in country (a) to country(b). Sometimes people are moved back to the Foreign Ministry as Ambassador until they are allocated a new post. I assume Prince Zeid is being moved from Washington as he has finished his term there.

Thats right:smile:

Huda 11-04-2010 04:37 AM

stories of mothers saved
The White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood

salma 11-28-2010 06:08 PM

I knew they have two children: Raad (2001) and Hala (2003), when born Azziza?

Rossina 11-29-2010 06:40 AM

Sure in 2010 salma ,but when exactly I dont know. .. you have to wait for a new official bio for prince Zeid.

Huda 12-15-2010 09:44 AM

First Lady of Tanzania Salma Kikwete addresses Annual General Meeting attendees on stage with National Alliance leaders and Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan
The White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood

salma 06-13-2012 04:29 AM

May 22, 2012
Prince Zeid of Jordan on a visit to Gbarnga as the Chairperson of the Liberia Configuration of the Peacebuilding Commission (PBC)

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

May 22nd, 2013 - Princess Sarah participated in “Securing the Future: Saving the Lives of Women and Children”

May 2013 US Princess Sarah

salma 10-27-2013 09:31 AM

Summer 2013
Princess Sarah

http://mitpsc.mit.edu/blog/wp-conten...22-495x660.jpg

salma 01-06-2014 03:28 PM

October 2013: Princess Sarah

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...Arapid-008.jpg
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...re%3Dog&jq=100
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQgpumVCUAAlWub.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU94dUpCMAAzKw5.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK9viaJCUAAkgPN.jpg:large

Burzg 01-06-2014 04:05 PM

The last link she looks very beautiful thanks Salma. :flowers:

salma 01-06-2014 04:32 PM

Welcome, Princess Sarah as advocate for the UN Commission on Life-Saving Commodities for Women and Children has many events.

Burzg 01-06-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salma (Post 1631123)
Welcome, Princess Sarah as advocate for the UN Commission on Life-Saving Commodities for Women and Children has many events.

Yes as I see she is a very active lady!

Rossina 04-16-2014 03:25 AM

Her Royal Highness Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan discusses newborn health - YouTube

sancakli70 04-16-2014 09:13 AM

Very elegant princess

Rossina 04-29-2014 07:29 AM

April 29th,2014
Prince Zeid bin Raad quits his job as Permanent Representative of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the United Nations.

الأمير زيد يستقيل | اهم الاخبار | وكالة عمون الاخبارية

Rossina 06-06-2014 12:38 PM

According to Alarabiya TV. Prince Zeid bin Raad is appointed Commissioner for Human Rights from Sep Unless one #P5 objects.

Rossina 06-17-2014 04:36 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...hts-chief.html
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Prince Zeid al Hussein of Jordan, a veteran diplomat and campaigner for international justice, will become the first U.N. human rights chief from the Muslim and Arab worlds following his unanimous election Monday by the U.N. General Assembly.

LadyS 07-05-2014 09:18 AM

Saw this article about Princess Sarah Zeid visiting a local clinic in South Africa before her attendance at a Maternal Forum in Sandton.
Royal princess visits Tembisa Clinic | Kempton Express

Ceallach 07-24-2014 04:32 AM

The UN Human Rights Commission is investigating Israel for war crimes and Prince Zeid bin Ra-ad will take over as chief on September 1st. The investigation will take more than a month so it will end up in his lap.

For Israel at the UN, a Jordanian 'ray of light'? | The Times of Israel

Rossina 07-24-2014 05:51 AM

:previous:
I expect that he will be subjected to criticism from both sides.

Rossina 09-01-2014 08:35 PM

Prince Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein replaces Navanethem Pillay - Newsfirst

Rossina 09-08-2014 04:39 PM

GENEVA — Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein began his tenure on Monday as the United Nations human rights chief with a strongly worded statement in which he forcefully condemned Islamic extremism and urged international action to end conflicts in Syria and Iraq.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/wo...iraq.html?_r=0

salma 11-02-2014 03:57 PM

Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan attends the Center for Reproductive Rights 2014 Gala at Jazz at Lincoln Center on 29.10.2014 in New York City

sancakli70 11-02-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salma (Post 1716503)
Princess Sarah Zeid of Jordan attends the Center for Reproductive Rights 2014 Gala at Jazz at Lincoln Center on 29.10.2014 in New York City

Very elegant woman ... Can she speaks arab?