The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Greek Royal Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/greek-royal-family-10656.html)

Jo 01-26-2005 05:41 PM

Greek Royal Family

Anyone know of any books on the greek royal family that are in english and not out of print?

Splodger 01-27-2005 07:53 AM

Books on Greek Royal Family

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo
Anyone know of any books on the greek royal family that are in english and not out of print?

Yes there is one by John Van Der Kiste called "The Kings of the Heleens" which was a good read. It is not that indepth but it covers all the Kings and is easy to read, and I would recomend it as an introduction to the Greek Royal Family to wet your apitite. "Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece" by Hugh Vickers is also still in print. Both are available from Amazon etal.

Dont be put off by books being out of print. I recomend using http://abebooks.co.uk - second hand book shops around the world list the books they have on there so it is an excelent resource for any second hand books you may want. have found the biographies of King Paul and Queen Frederica on there, both reasonably priced. The "as new" condition books are naturaly more expensive but i found several copies for sale of both books at low prices and both still in good condition. The webpage details the book and i have always found their condition description acurate when i received the books. The webpage customer support is also very helpfull if you do hit any problems.

I have also purchased other books from the site, Including one written by Air Vice Marshall Arthur Gould-Lee (i think that was his name, i dont have it to hand to check) who was in Greece during the second world war and gives a very interesting account of the families lives during this time. Prince Christopher's autobiography is also a good read if you can find it.

Jo 01-27-2005 10:34 PM

Okay thanks you guys! :)

Warren 01-28-2005 08:07 AM

You could also look out for "The Royal House of Greece" by Prince Michael of Greece and Alan Palmer (Weidenfeld & Nicolson 1990). This was produced by Prince Michael for King Constantine's 50th birthday. Lots of family pics, but not enough tiaras.

Alexandra 07-18-2005 05:01 PM

Queen Friederike of Greece wrote the book: Erfahrungen, ISBN 3 8052 0201 6.
In English its name is A Measure of Understanding.

Not very interesting, but readable.

norwegianne 02-16-2006 05:49 PM

I just read Hugh Vickers' book about Princess Alice, and must say that I really recommend it. It was a fascinating read about a royal I didn't know very much about beforehand, and the author tells the story well, in my opinion.

Kelly 02-16-2006 05:52 PM

What about the current royal family?

KatieLouise 02-16-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
I just read Hugh Vickers' book about Princess Alice, and must say that I really recommend it. It was a fascinating read about a royal I didn't know very much about beforehand, and the author tells the story well, in my opinion.

I'm currently reading this one and I'm very much enjoying it; it's clearly well-researched and well-written. I don't think I've seen a bad review of it! :)

Benjamin 03-02-2006 11:14 PM

There is a brand-new book out about Prince Nicholas of Greece edited by Arturo Beeche (the original book was Nicholas's memoir and Mr. Beeche has made many valuable additions to the text). Looks very interesting and apparently has at least 80 pictures of various Greek and other royals in it.

Here's its page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...165289-2104705

kelly9480 08-27-2006 09:18 PM

Books on Greek Royals

Someone asked me if there are any biographies of any of the Greek royals, and I told that person I'd ask around, so, any that any of y'all know of? I know Queen Sofia would have some, and Princess Marina has at least one. Any other royals?

Thanks

Avalon 08-27-2006 09:29 PM

By biography, do you mean a book or articles on their lives?

kelly9480 08-27-2006 11:50 PM

I think the person means books.

Katie 08-28-2006 10:03 AM

Here are some:

John van der Kiste: Kings of the Hellenes: The Greek Kings 1863-1974. (1994).
Hugo Vickers: Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece. (2003, paperback).
Kunst- und Kulturkreis rastede: Amalia 1818-1875, Herzogin von Oldenburg, Königin von Griechenland. (2004, in German).
Königin Friederike: Erfahrungen. (1976, in German, there might be editions in other languages).

norwegianne 08-28-2006 11:31 AM

There is a Danish book called "Anne-Marie, Dronning Uden Rige" (Anne-Marie, queen without a realm), which was written by Sara Blćdel and published in 2000.

kelly9480 08-29-2006 01:16 PM

Thanks, y'all. I passed those books on to that person.

Benjamin 09-08-2006 10:17 PM

Here are some other ones:
A Measure of Understanding by Queen Frederica of the Hellenes
A Romanov Diary by Princess Marie of Greece, Grand Duchess George of Russia
Constantine I by Demetra Vaka
Elleniki Dinasteia by Prince Michael of Greece
For a King's Love by Princess Alexandra of Greece, Queen of Yugoslavia
Frederica, Queen of the Hellenes: Mission of a Modern Queen by Lilian Papanicolaou
Helen, Queen Mother of Roumania, Princess of Greece and Denmark: An Authorized Biography by Arthur Stanley Gould Lee
King George of Greece by Walter Christmas
Marie Bonaparte: A Life by Celia Bertin
Memoires Insolites by Prince Michael of Greece
Memoirs by Prince Christopher of Greece
My Fifty Years
by Prince Nicholas of Greece (new edition ed. by Arturo Beéche)
No Ordinary Crown by Stelio Hourmouzios
Otho I, King of Greece by Leonard Bower & Bolitho Gordon
Princess Marina: Her Life and Times by Stella King
The Royal House of Greece by Arthur Stanley Gould Lee
The Royal House of Greece by Prince Michael of Greece & Alan Palmer

tenngirl 09-08-2006 10:29 PM

Benjamin,
You mention the book about Queen Frederica, is it good?

I have heard that she was a challenge to deal with and I wondered if it was true. Since I live in the States, I doubt that I will ever see the book or one about her! Does John Van Der Kiste cover her in any great detail in his book?

Thanks for your help.
Tenngirl

Benjamin 09-09-2006 04:40 PM

Tenngirl,
I have Frederica's autobiography...it was okay, as far as I remember. Her religious beliefs were rather far-fetched (and make for boring reading :lol:), but on the whole I liked her book. She discusses her family, time in Greece and in exile, etc.

I haven't read the one by Papanicolaou.

Van der Kiste very briefly mentions her in his book on the Kings of the Hellenes.

I live in the States too, it is very easy to get Frederica's book. You can use www.addall.com/used.

kelly9480 09-09-2006 08:29 PM

Thanks, Benjamin.

srivishnu 09-09-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
Someone asked me if there are any biographies of any of the Greek royals, and I told that person I'd ask around, so, any that any of y'all know of? I know Queen Sofia would have some, and Princess Marina has at least one. Any other royals?

Thanks

Please feel free to browse the official web site of the Greek Royal Family > http://www.greekroyalfamily.org/