The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Danish Royal History (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f157/)
-   -   Frederik III and Sophie Amalie of Brunswick (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f157/frederik-iii-and-sophie-amalie-of-brunswick-10598.html)

norwegianne 08-25-2006 12:02 PM

Frederik III and Sophie Amalie of Brunswick
 
Name: Frederik III

Birth: March 18, 1609, Haderslev, Schleswig.

Child of: Christian IV and Anna Catherine of Brandenburg

Reign: 1648 - 1670

Marriage: in 1643 to Sophie Amalie of Braunschweig-Lüneburg.

Children: Christian, Anna Sophia (m. Johan Georg 3. of Sachsen), Frederica Amalia (m. Christian Albrecht of Gottorp), Vilhelmine Ernestine (m. Karl of Pfalz), Frederick, Jørgen/George (m. Queen Anne of the UK) , Ulrika Eleonora (m. Carl XI of Sweden), Dorothea

Death: 19. February 1670

Throne passed to: Christian V

Notes:

As the second oldest son of Christian 4. he had a career in public administration in what is today's Germany, but then was part of Denmark, among other things, a publically elected administrator in Halberstadt. He also went on to get an education in theology, science and political science. After the 30 year war, he was instated as the Bishop of Bremen and later Verden. He was first considered heir to the throne after the chosen Prince Christian's death in 1647, and subsequently elected as the heir.

Introduced Absolute Monarchy to Denmark and Lex Regia (The King's law) was written.

Founder of the Royal Library of Copenhagen

norwegianne 11-10-2007 04:43 PM

Name: Sophie Amalie of Braunschweig-Lüneburg

Birth: 24 March 1628

Child of: George, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg and Anne Eleonore of Hesse-Darmstadt

Death: 20 February 1685)

Muhler 01-01-2013 04:27 AM

I guess some of you were out shooting rockets last night.
Then as now that can cause difficulties!

Danmark i 1668: Mand straffet for at skyde nytåret ind | Videnskab.dk
This is a story from 1668 about a tailor in the garrison town of Helsingør (you know, the fortress of Kronborg), who wanted to shoot in the New Year in the morning of 1st January 1668.
He did that in a good time honored fashion by pointing a gun (my guess is a blunderbuss :hiding:) out the door and shoot. He was immediatly approached by soldiers who asked whether he was the one who fired the gun.
The man, Christen Simmensen, merrily admitted, - Happy New Year. Whereupon the soldiers grabbed him and dragged him through the streets so that he lost one of his slippers. He was then sat on a wooden-horse with two weights attached to both his legs for an hour and a half. - A most unpleasant and with guarantee an instantly sobering experience!:eek: (There is a picture of a wooden-horse in use, for those who are not familiar with the instrument).

Christen Simmensen was furious! That was no way to treat a good citizen, who had always paid his taxes. He was merely, as was tradition, shooting in the new year and by the way honoring the king too, as he pointed out in his letter of complaint to Frederik III.
Frederik III had become an absolute monarch just a few years before.

There is nothing on whether our tailor's complaint was dismissed or not.
It was most likely dismissed as this is the last example on record of private citizens litterally shooting in the new year in Denmark.

gerry 01-13-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1500144)
I guess some of you were out shooting rockets last night.
Then as now that can cause difficulties!

Danmark i 1668: Mand straffet for at skyde nytåret ind | Videnskab.dk
This is a story from 1668 about a tailor in the garrison town of Helsingør (you know, the fortress of Kronborg), who wanted to shoot in the New Year in the morning of 1st January 1668.
He did that in a good time honored fashion by pointing a gun (my guess is a blunderbuss :hiding:) out the door and shoot. He was immediatly approached by soldiers who asked whether he was the one who fired the gun.
The man, Christen Simmensen, merrily admitted, - Happy New Year. Whereupon the soldiers grabbed him and dragged him through the streets so that he lost one of his slippers. He was then sat on a wooden-horse with two weights attached to both his legs for an hour and a half. - A most unpleasant and with guarantee an instantly sobering experience!:eek: (There is a picture of a wooden-horse in use, for those who are not familiar with the instrument).

Christen Simmensen was furious! That was no way to treat a good citizen, who had always paid his taxes. He was merely, as was tradition, shooting in the new year and by the way honoring the king too, as he pointed out in his letter of complaint to Frederik III.
Frederik III had become an absolute monarch just a few years before.

There is nothing on whether our tailor's complaint was dismissed or not.
It was most likely dismissed as this is the last example on record of private citizens litterally shooting in the new year in Denmark.

And on the subject of the new year, congratulations are in order for the nomination of 'A Royal Affair' as one of five best foreign films to be produced in the past year. I had the good luck to be present at the film's gala premiere during the Toronto International Film festival (a no brainer for this DRF fan!:whistling:) and enjoyed this insight into Danish history immensely. Although it is not given much chance of winning by the usual Hollywood watchers, who knows what might happen on Oscar night, as I can speak with some authority that Mads Mikkelson has an almost irresistable smile!:flowers:

FasterB 01-13-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 1504847)
...as I can speak with some authority that Mads Mikkelson has an almost irresistable smile!:flowers:

I´ll give you that his smile is irresistable.

I thought he was a tall man, but then I saw him at the local chinese take away Sunday afternoon and all the magic was gone and I realised how little (of height) he is :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Archduchess Zelia 01-13-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterB (Post 1504851)
I´ll give you that his smile is irresistable.

I thought he was a tall man, but then I saw him at the local chinese take away Sunday afternoon and all the magic was gone and I realised how little (of height) he is :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Do you think he's so small? Because I've seen him "in person" too (he was with his family though, so I resisted going up to him, drooling like an idiot and saying incomprehensible things :whistling:) and being pretty tall myself (5'11"), I don't reckon he's that tiny (but obviously smaller than myself in height). However, I'll give you that he looks waaaaaay taller in the movies which was a bit of a shock for me too. He's still so beautiful though :wub: :tongue:

FasterB 01-13-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1504858)
Do you think he's so small? Because I've seen him "in person" too (he was with his family though, so I resisted going up to him, drooling like an idiot and saying incomprehensible things :whistling:) and being pretty tall myself (5'11"), I don't reckon he's that tiny (but obviously smaller than myself in height). However, I'll give you that he looks waaaaaay taller in the movies which was a bit of a shock for me too. He's still so beautiful though :wub: :tongue:

I´m 180cm myself and he was smaller than me. I would say about 175cm and when you think he´s about 190cm then 175cm is quite small.
But beautiful??? Naaaaah, def. not that Sunday, perhaps it was an afterpartySunday :rofl::rofl::rofl:

CyrilVladisla 03-16-2014 07:17 PM

King Frederik III was interested in theology and the natural sciences.

King Frederik and Queen Sophie Amelie were interested in French culture.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises