The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   What languages do the British Royals know? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/what-languages-do-the-british-royals-know-10538.html)

Laurene 04-16-2006 02:25 PM

which languages do they speak...

First of all, I would like to say hello to everybody because I'm
new here...I'm french, I'm 21

Anyway I would like to know which langages o Harry and William speak (appart from english of course)?

HighGoalHighDreams 04-16-2006 03:43 PM

Welcome. :cool:

Harry and William both have background in Spanish, French, and Latin. Beatrice and Eugenie both have background in French, and probably at least Latin. William has been attempting to teach himself Swahilli for several years.

kelly9480 04-16-2006 05:19 PM

When did Harry take Spanish lessons? He definitely had Latin and French because Eton requires them. But I've never read anything about him having Spanish lessons.

Beatrice definitely had French because her school requires it. Eugenie probably took it though her school offers other languages. There's no reason to believe either Beatrice or Eugenie took Latin. Neither of their schools (St George's and Marlborough) require it.

kaydura0717 04-16-2006 10:19 PM

Well i did read some where that PW and PH took Spanish in Eton. Also the Queen speaks French fluently.

HighGoalHighDreams 04-17-2006 08:36 AM

I, too, had thought I read that Harry took Spanish but now can't seem to find it- so, it's probable that he didn't take Spanish.

I said 'probably' with Beatrice and Eugenie because it's a fairly common language- but since I don't recall reading about it, I just left it at 'probably'.

Opal 04-18-2006 06:05 PM

I remember reading that Williams passed his A Levels (or whatever you call it) for Spanish. But I hadn't heard that Harry took Spanish.
Wasn't William trying to learn a little Welsh too?

CATS 04-18-2006 08:06 PM

Beatrice would have taken latin as its part of the classes the take in the 2nd year and up there(st.george's, ascot).

Iluvbertie 04-18-2006 08:19 PM

According to this site William's passed three A levels.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/prin...r_alevels.html

These were History of Art, Geography and Biology.

He also passed 12 GSCE's including 'languages' but I couldn't find any list of which languages - I do remember reading that Latin was one.

As he didn't continue with any language into his last two years of schooling the question would need to be raised about how thoroughly he knows the 'languages' he did pass for the GCSEs.

Princess Beatrice passed French as one of her GCSEs.

Opal 04-21-2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy57
According to this site William's passed three A levels...

Thanks for clarifying Chrissy. I'm not that familiar with the British grading system. I thought Spanish was one of the A Levels. But I did read that he took some Spanish. It's a shame they don't list the languages.

Iluvbertie 04-21-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchat
Thanks for clarifying Chrissy. I'm not that familiar with the British grading system. I thought Spanish was one of the A Levels. But I did read that he took some Spanish. It's a shame they don't list the languages.

I went looking a bit further and came up with the following site:

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/prin...8_15_eton.html

According to this information his GSCEs were in

French, Latin, Biology, English, English Literature, Geography, History, Spanish, Maths and Additional French. The Prince also studied Divinity, Chemistry and Physics, along with courses in Art, Music and Design, as well as PE.

He received different grades with the first three getting the highest grade - an A with an *, the next few getting an A (which is where your confusion I suspects comes as he got an A in Spanish in his GSCEs but then didn't continue with the subject). He got B's in the last two.

Opal 04-24-2006 07:43 PM

Oh, it looks like he studied more French than anything. I don't know why I didn't remember the French. Hm. :o
Anyway, yeah, I must've read that he got an 'A' in Spanish and that's where the confusion came from.
He had an impressive curriculum.
Thanks again Chrissy.

robby86 08-18-2006 12:51 PM

What languages do the British Royals know?

I couldn't find a thread to put this in so I started one.

I was wondering how many different languages the royal family can speak? And who can speak them?

Amz 08-18-2006 12:56 PM

I know The Queen speaks french

kelly9480 08-18-2006 02:38 PM

French is spoken by EIIR, Philip, Charles, William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Richard, Edward Kent, Alexandra and Michael (almost, if not, all the born British royals have learned French either through tutors or at school, though their fluency in the language varies)

German is spoken by Philip and Marie-Christine (and possibly Birgitte, seeing as she's Danish) -- EIIR, despite rumors, does not speak it

Danish is spoken by Birgitte

Philip speaks what his cousin termed "kitchen Greek"

Charles speaks a smattering of Welsh (he was sent to Aberstwyth U in Wales to learn a little for a semester before his investiture). Charles speaks at least one sentence of Cornish (due to a tradition requiring Dukes of Cornwall to say some ritual sentence upon being presented with some ritual tribute).

Anyone who went to Eton learned Latin because it's mandatory.

Royal Fan 08-18-2006 05:28 PM

I Didnt even Know Cornish was a language

Elspeth 08-18-2006 05:52 PM

Cornish is one of the old languages in the same family as Welsh and Gaelic; it's not commonly spoken at all these days, though.

Elspeth 08-18-2006 05:52 PM

Prince Michael speaks Russian or Polish or both, doesn't he?

kelly9480 08-19-2006 02:06 AM

I think he speaks Russian, because he has a lot of business contacts in Russia and travels there frequently.

srivishnu 08-19-2006 02:18 AM

Facts About The Queen.

The Queen speaks fluent French and often uses the language for Audiences and State Visits. Her Majesty does not require an interpreter.

Charlotte1 08-19-2006 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
I think he speaks Russian, because he has a lot of business contacts in Russia and travels there frequently.

Prince Michael learnt Russian in the 1960's when in the army. He became fluent enough to work as an army interpreter.