The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Question couture Valentino or not

In this picture of Charlotte Casiraghi & Charlotte Dellal Casiraghi is wearing RTW Chanel but I wonder if Dellal is wearing couture Valentino? It looks like this dress.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Courtier

that might actually be different! i don't know, the Valentino is strapless and the one Charlotte Dellal is wearing doesn't appear to be. but looking at it again though, it does look like it so you might be right after all!

Anyways, I know this thread is about the "club" and it's members but the Sundance Channel had this program a few years back called Signé Chanel. It's really awesome to see a couture dress from start to finish! I mean it really makes you appreciates how much time and effort goes into making one of those beautiful creations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Sundance Channel
Filmmaker Loïc Prigent’s fascinating, witty and infectiously joyous look within a leading fashion house focuses on the evolution of Chanel’s Fall/Winter 2004-2005 collection. From Karl Lagerfeld’s initial sketches and their first interpretation by veteran seamstresses to the climactic show as the models strut the catwalk, Signé Chanel presents a loving depiction of an enclosed, esoteric world.
It's going to be showing on Feb. 4th for those who have access to Sundance but someone put it on youtube, so if anyone else is interested heres the link. A must watch if I say so myself!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Funny you should mention that documentary, Signé Chanel. I posted the Youtube links several months ago in another topic. Sadly no one was interested except for Dazzling.

To watch more clips, not just Signé Chanel, click on Fashion989.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_rain3075 View Post
that might actually be different! i don't know, the Valentino is strapless and the one Charlotte Dellal is wearing doesn't appear to be. but looking at it again though, it does look like it so you might be right after all!
On Char D's dress, there is one strap. On the runway dress, there is one strap. But, as I look again, I see the straps are different.
Quote:
Anyways, I know this thread is about the "club" and it's members but the Sundance Channel had this program a few years back called Signé Chanel. It's really awesome to see a couture dress from start to finish! I mean it really makes you appreciates how much time and effort goes into making one of those beautiful creations!

It's going to be showing on Feb. 4th for those who have access to Sundance but someone put it on youtube, so if anyone else is interested heres the link. A must watch if I say so myself!
I have heard of it! Yes, that looks fantastic. I am very happy someone put it on youtube.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_rain3075 View Post
oh and for the Deceased clients list, didn't they mention the Mitford sisters? Which would be Nancy, Jessica, Deborah, Diana, Unity, and Pamela (?) Mitford (I mention them even though I kinda don't want too because some were communists and Nazis')
I'm actually reading a book about The Mitford Sisters now...it features the letters they wrote back and forth to each other. I believe only 2 of them were involved in the Nazi party...one committed suicide after it's fall I think...

It's very interesting...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM

GT, I hope it's ok to post the Signe Chanel episodes here also? I think it relates to the topic, and I enjoy it so much.

Signe Chanel: Episode 1: Anticipation (four parts)

Old 01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Absolutely, CT. I was too lazy to do it myself.

There are many Haute Couture shows floating around on Youtube as well as on TRF sister site, The Fashion Spot. Give me a minute and I will link the shows for everyone to view.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Oooh...thanks for the youtube clips!

I love when the women are arguing over the price...LOL...and how Karl forgets his bag and just stands there waving is his arms while some minion runs after the car...hahaha...

sometimes people in the fashion world are such cartoon characters.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM

Talking

The seamstresses are hilarious. God, when Karl forgot his bag, and that guy went running after the car!!! But we never found out if he got his bag back? I guess we can assume so? I don't know who the lady was, who asked if the HC dress would be 100 euros, but if they only cost 100 euros, I should think "The Club" would be a lot bigger hahaha!!!!

Signe Chanel, Episode 2

Episode 3 (who can fail to fall in love with the Braid Lady?)

Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 PM

So far it seems that we have established that Princess Grace, the Duchess of Windsor, & Princess Caroline & Charlotte Casiraghi were/are club members. Oh and I forgot: Queen Rania, and Princess Lalla Salma, and Rosario Nadal as well.

Are there other royals?

Maybe some in the Liechtenstein family! They are soooo wealthy. I can see them affording HC easily.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Ok, there is a Princess Milena of Liechtenstein who has a beautiful apartment in Paris and belongs to the fashionable Parisian set. I don't know anything about her. I have the impression there is a good chance that she is in the club.

Now about Charlotte Casiraghi:
What do you think of this ensemble? (source = The Eternal Muse website)
Do you think, Haute Couture? The coat looks very intricate. (click on the picture to enlarge to HQ and see extreme detail)
The event would certainly have qualified: the Nijinsky Awards in Monte Carlo, 7 December 2006. And she just wore this coat again, to the circus, Day Three.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Nobility

just a question I thought I would pose to all my clever friends on the forum
Do you think that Rosario Nadal is in the club because she actually purchases her dresses or is she there because she is Valentino's muse and as such would get things to wear.Kind of like Lady helen taylor and her relationship with armani although I do know she gets paid to wear his clothes and isn't really his muse.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM

^ Marlene, I had the same thought. I don't know how wealthy are she and Prince Kyril, but I believe that Rosario was born to a family of great means, no?

I agree about Lady Helen. All of her Armani Prive must be loaned to her, as I cannot imagine she can afford to buy Haute Couture. I think she can afford the RTW for sure, but not the HC. No way.

I am so sad after finishing the Signe Chanel documentary. I see now, appreciate fully, how specialized the HC-making skills, how intricate, and how dying the trade! If more young people will not learn the trade, the art must die. What will happen when that lovely lady, Madame Pouzieux, now 75 years old and ridden with arthritis in her overworked hands, is no more? They said that Chanel had sent many people to attempt to learn the braiding skills, but all have failed to learn it.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
So far it seems that we have established that Princess Grace, the Duchess of Windsor, & Princess Caroline & Charlotte Casiraghi were/are club members. Oh and I forgot: Queen Rania, and Princess Lalla Salma, and Rosario Nadal as well.

Are there other royals?

Maybe some in the Liechtenstein family! They are soooo wealthy. I can see them affording HC easily.
What about Marie Chantal of Greece?
She is very close to Valentino, as Rosario Nadal, but she is not his muse.
IMO, Rosario doesn't purchases her dresses.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Marie Chantal is on the list. She is for sure a club client. See on the previous page, where I listed some known clients. MC is on there.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Rania said some time ago that many of her clothes are borrowed.

As for other Royals I think it's safe to say that many other ME Royals purchase couture, especially from the Saudi and UAE royal houses. If you read books such as "Princess" by Jean Sassoon that is just an indicator of the lavish lifestyles these Royals lead.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Princess Haya is often seen in Valentino couture; suits to gala dresses.
Sheikha Mozah wife of Qatar emir is a very well known couture client. She is seen in Chanel, Carven & JPGaultier couture.

I think many of teh royals head to couture for evening dresses. The designers might not be well known outside their home country but there are a few.

The Haute couture club has about 200 members because its about way over peoples budget. A chanel ready to wear dress ranges anywhere between $7,000+ & that being a plain chiffon dress. So, imagine a Haute couture dress which would be made custom fit for you. I guess you pay for you get/order.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is Valentino's last Haute Couture show that was presented last week. I have a feeling that we may see some royals -- perhaps Maxima -- wear some of these amazing gowns. Personally, I would love to see Marie, the future Princess of Denmark wear one of these pieces... borrowed or purchased.

Here is Christian Lacroix's S/S 2008 Haute Couture show, again presented last week.

Givenchy Haute Couture S/S 2008

Jean Paul Gaultier

Chanel Haute Couture S/S 2008

Armani Prive Haute Couture

*I love the music... fantastic. Again, I see many many ensembles that would look amazing on Marie.

Dior Haute Couture 08/09

Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Courtier

LOL @ braid lady...it's so funny this crazy cat woman has such a integral part in making these $100,000 garments for the world's elite. She's so sweet though...and adorably rough around the edges.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Haute Couture Houses
*Chanel
*Christian Dior
*Armani Prive (correspondent/foreign member)
*Christian Lacroix
*Jean-Paul Gaultier
*Versace Atelier
*Givenchy
*Valentino (correspondent/foreign member)
*Emanuel Ungaro
*Ralph Rucci (correspondent/foreign member)
*Elie Saab (correspondent/foreign member)
*Adeline André
*Dominique Sirop
*Franck Sorbier
*Jean-Louis Scherrer
Prada is not regarded as a haute couture house ?