The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Oh,here:...Cinderella's stepsisters...:

Miles Away!: Every girl's dream

Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's exactly what they reminded me of. The wicked stepsisters.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Majesty

here is Nick verreros blogg post about the fashion at the royal wedding
he is known for projekt runway
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Jacinta View Post
Did anyone else think Victoria's waitline ruching might be hiding an incipient pregnancy?

I don't think so; if she'd been trying to conceal a pregnancy, I think she'd have worn something less clinging.
The red dress looked wonderful.

(Strange, I always had the impression Victoria was a tall girl, at least as tall as the Duchess of Cambridge. But I read she's only 5'7" which is average height).
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Majesty

however i thioght about a fith pregnancy for princess mathilde
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

For all we know they may have a stylist who is telling them that they look fabulous.

Philip Tracey made 36 hats for the wedding including Beatrice's. Now some of themm looked fantastic but which is the one people are talking about? From a business point of view that wouldn't be a good advertisement so what was he thinking in making that monstrosity - badly advising Beatrice as well. If that was me and she insisted on that hat I would have refused to make it and told her to go elsewhere.

I must admit I watched the Sky News coverage of the wedding last night and their fashion person actually thought Beatice looked fantastic and that the hat was brilliant. I am paraphrasing here but the gist is right - it was what she said when Beatrice first emerged from the car and before she could finish - or comment on Eugenie's the coverage crossed to the Queen leaving the Palace.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

IMO Lady Frederick Windsor and her sister in law Lady Gabriella were immaculate.

lady frederick windsor, sophie winkleman lord frederick windsor and lady gabriella windsor - Camera Press - 20293607-029 - Agence Photo - Fotoagentschap - Banque d'Images - Image Bank - Paparazzi - Videos | Isopix.be | Belgique, Belgie

On the other hand I thought the Duchess of Gloucester looked old and frumpy, so unlike her usual self

duchess of gloucester - Camera Press - 20293985-018 - Agence Photo - Fotoagentschap - Banque d'Images - Image Bank - Paparazzi - Videos | Isopix.be | Belgique, Belgie

As far as the Yorks are concerned I actually think they really crossed the line. All laughing aside, I would actually be quite angry if someone turned up at my wedding looking as ludicrous as they did.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Well, now, I feel much more charitably towards them. They were both wearing couture (Vivienne Westwood and Valentino)and both took fashion risks.

Beatrice's outfit was elegant in my opinion and her headpiece was obviously designed to complement the detail at the top of her coat. Do I think that it suited her face - no. Do I think that she should be ridiculed for being somewhat outré -no. Do I think that she 'offended' anyone - of course not. If her family were concerned about it she would have been asked,or given, a substitute; she dressed and left from the palace,after all.

Eugenie's choice of Westwood would always have suggested that her outfit would be unusual. Whereas I don't think that it really suited her, I also think that there was nothing wrong with clothes which harked back to an earlier historical age, particularly on such a regal and historic occasion in the most ancient and historic church in the realm.

In sum, there's nothing untoward about two young women enjoying flirting with fashion. Whether or not we agree with their choices or fashion nous isn't really the issue. I applaud their efforts to be original and strike out on an independent and individual course.

Undoubtedly, the two of them, from experience,will make many more fashion faux-pas, but I feel that if their grandmother isn't concerned enough to intervene then perhaps we should be allow ourselves to be similarly tolerant and/or amused.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Philip Tracey made 36 hats for the wedding including Beatrice's. Now some of themm looked fantastic but which is the one people are talking about? From a business point of view that wouldn't be a good advertisement so what was he thinking in making that monstrosity - badly advising Beatrice as well. If that was me and she insisted on that hat I would have refused to make it and told her to go elsewhere.
In the clip I saw online, Beatrice and Treacy were hand in hand and looked very at ease together.
She mentioned how much she loved hats, and I noted that Treacy called her Beatrice; it was apparent they were on the friendliest of terms.

I think Beatrice loved the hat and deliberately chose it to be provoking.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Majesty

I have tried to be charitable toward Beatrice and Eugenie in the past, but I am running out of patience. Unless Beatrice has a sight problem, she must know that that hat was absolutely awful. I think she likes to draw attention with her ghastly hats and costumes because it's a way to get noticed around more glamourous young women. Her eye-makeup looked like she lost a bet! As for Eugenie...I have no idea what the hell is going on there.

The three Spencer girls are breathtaking...I am going to start calling them The Three Graces. But those tight, tarty outfits were sooo not appropriate for a wedding at Westminster Abbey, imo.

The guests who stood out to me as overall best dressed at the wedding were:

CP Victoria of Sweden
CP Letizia of Spain
Charlene Wittstock
Lady Frederick Windsor
Joss Stone
CP Maxima of the Netherlands
Carole Middleton
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Commoner

Desperate for attention

I completely agree. I think they make those outrageously awful fashion choices on purpose to get attention. So far, it seems to be working for them.

Like mom; like daughter. To some, any attention (positive or negative) is better than none.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Courtier

I understand your opinions but I don't support them. To me, they're simply young women currently influenced by their circumstances (university students) and if their fashion sense, or lack of it, is the worst that can be said against them then they're not doing too badly, in my opinion.

Actually, I'm at home with an unwell teenager and I asked her her opinion of the two princesses outfits - 'cool', was the response. Apparently, the Yorks dress age-appropriate, and, as I've intimated, if the palace were worried about it we'd see a change.

Nor do I think it appropriate to use them to gratuitously attack their mother in this instance.

With the exception of CP Victoria and Joss Stone I like your list of best-dressed, Moonmaden23. To my mind, CP Victoria's outfit was a little too tight and casual and Joss Stone was too conservative. And therein lies the expectations underlying difference of opinion.

To me, CP Victoria seemed too informally dressed for a Crown Princess at such an event and Joss Stone seemed too conservative for a young, trendy songstress. Whereas I wouldn't have expected her to imitate Lady Gaga, for instance, I did expect something more contemporary and youthful.

My personal favourite was CP Letizia, as she so often is. Many of the women in attendance were ultra-stylish and looked wonderful, but none more so that Mrs Middleton and the Queen.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

I for one refuse to agree that someone looks "fabulous" just because they are wearing couture. First of some people are just not proportioned correctly (to be polite) to wear those kinds of dresses. Clearly there are reasons why runway models look like coathangers. To some people wearing couture automatically makes it great and I do not agree with that philosophy. It may be daring, it may be edgy but it can still be very ugly. Apparently Beatrice and her Treacy creation are the joke of the internet. I do realize that not everyone commenting may exhibit the greatest taste, but THAT many people can't be all wrong. I fully agree that these girls delight in the attention ... obviously learned at the "Motherly knee".
Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

I have nothing against Beatrice and Eugenie personally, nor do I believe that they dress like that for attantion (they would have to get it wrong more consistantly, for me to believe that) but The Palace should be worried about these:

Princess Beatrice Wedding Hat Also Rans | The Brainsoaker

Beatrice's hat takes viral crown | Stuff.co.nz

GANDER

boogersareyum's Profile - Dashboard - Cheezburger.com

Parody should be allowed, but The York Princesses, have not picked up many Royal duties yet (something I hold nothing against them for. They are students) and they need to be as respectable as possible, before they start the Royal work. When I was watching the service with my Parents and Sister, my Parents were talking about how Beatrice and Eugneie "don't dress appropriately", and "don't move elegantly". I know that The York Princesses are of a similar age to me, not my Parents, but The Defence Forces, and The Royal Police Forces, will sniff at them if they are best known for their gobsmacking fashion choices. People on this site say how they "don't do any work", and claim that "the forces would never want them", despite the fact that they have done nothing worse than anything William and Henry have done.

This is a serious image problem for the Sisters.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Nobility

As for Princess Beatrice's outfit, the shoes, dress and coat were all right but as for that funny-looking thing sticking up out of it, is it a lobster? Is it a giant Pretzel? Is it a spider? I wasn't mad about her sister's skirt, but I liked the colour combination.

Princess Anne had a striking colour combination for her outfit but I'm not sure that purple and lurid lime green worked all that well together.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I understand your opinions but I don't support them. To me, they're simply young women currently influenced by their circumstances (university students) and if their fashion sense, or lack of it, is the worst that can be said against them then they're not doing too badly, in my opinion.

Actually, I'm at home with an unwell teenager and I asked her her opinion of the two princesses outfits - 'cool', was the response. Apparently, the Yorks dress age-appropriate, and, as I've intimated, if the palace were worried about it we'd see a change.

Nor do I think it appropriate to use them to gratuitously attack their mother in this instance.

With the exception of CP Victoria and Joss Stone I like your list of best-dressed, Moonmaden23. To my mind, CP Victoria's outfit was a little too tight and casual and Joss Stone was too conservative. And therein lies the expectations underlying difference of opinion.

To me, CP Victoria seemed too informally dressed for a Crown Princess at such an event and Joss Stone seemed too conservative for a young, trendy songstress. Whereas I wouldn't have expected her to imitate Lady Gaga, for instance, I did expect something more contemporary and youthful.

My personal favourite was CP Letizia, as she so often is. Many of the women in attendance were ultra-stylish and looked wonderful, but none more so that Mrs Middleton and the Queen.
What I liked about Victoria's Westminster Abbey outfit is that(at least from the front!) it showcased her curves gracefully and dramatically. I know some people found it too tight...I did not.

And that deep red gown she wore to the pre-wedding dinner at the Mandarin was just breathtaking.

I loved the color of Joss Stone's Westminster Abbey outfit!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

My list for best dressed:

Lady Frederick Windsor - OMG...STUNNING, sleek, chic, in Chanel.
Princess Michael of Kent - Classy - much better than her son's wedding..haha
Princess Mathilde of Belgium - Is that her wedding tiara as a necklace?
Princess Letizia of Spain - LOVED the color
Zara Phillips - I loved her hat and that gray color
The Countess of Wessex - Loved it all
Carol Middleton - PERFECT, not one thing wrong. Classy.
Pippa - WOW!
The Duchess of Cambridge - Perfection of romance and understated elegance
The Crown Princess of Sweden - I loved the orangish/tangerinish color, sleek, and her hat.
Charlenet Wittstock - LOVED the whole ensemble.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Nobility

Added to the best-dressed list IMO should be Lady Sarah Chatto.

She was visible on TV for a nanosecond, and photos of her are scarce as hens' teeth, so hopefully this Getty images link will work

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
some people are just not proportioned correctly (to be polite) to wear those kinds of dresses.
Nothing impolite about it, it is indeed a matter of proportion, and no matter whether you're fat or thin there's nothing that can be done about it. It helps a bit if you're tall, but when your bust is too close to your waist, it's much harder to find clothes that don't make you look dumpy, even if you're slim. I am short-waisted myself, and have always had this problem,.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, Lady Sarah is a vision in mid-century modern.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Added to the best-dressed list IMO should be Lady Sarah Chatto.

She was visible on TV for a nanosecond, and photos of her are scarce as hens' teeth, so hopefully this Getty images link will work

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Nothing impolite about it, it is indeed a matter of proportion, and no matter whether you're fat or thin there's nothing that can be done about it. It helps a bit if you're tall, but when your bust is too close to your waist, it's much harder to find clothes that don't make you look dumpy, even if you're slim. I am short-waisted myself, and have always had this problem,.

I thought Lady Sarah's skirt was horrible, and it did make her look dumpy! The skirt was too full and was an awkward length; I didn't like it at all.

I agree that CP Victoria's dress was too tight, and did you see the rear view? Not a bit flattering.