The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
If you look back at the pictures from all the royal weddings since (and including 1947) you will see that the bridesmaids dresses are always white or cream. Diana's bridesmaids had a yellowy coloured belt/sash at the waist but were the same colour as her wedding dress.
White/cream for the young girls is okay, but I think Pippa's, as the Maid of Honor, should have been a different color. Not white or cream or anything close. That is reserved, imo, for the bride.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

I have to say I like Princess Anne's oufit especially the color. Eugenie's and Beatrice's outfits weren't too bad. I think Eugenie's outfit might have looked slighly better without the bows and a different hat. (great colors though). I am debating on whether or not I like the Countess of Wessex's outfit.

Why can't anyone wear a normal hat, though a few did wear a nice normal hat. (though kind of interesting it was the older adults who did that).

Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
White/cream for the young girls is okay, but I think Pippa's, as the Maid of Honor, should have been a different color. Not white or cream or anything close. That is reserved, imo, for the bride.
It is a tradition... I also find very strange, but it's not for them.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Commoner

Does anyone have a pic of Princess Margarita of Romania??
Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What did the Duchess of Gloucester wear?
I didn't see her at all.

She has worn a blue suit, but I couldn't find a good pic of her, only one
where she's hidden behind her husband

** Duchess of Gloucester **
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Commoner

Did anyone catch Zara P. pop a piece of gum in her mouth after the ceremony?? The Queen must have seen it on a screen, because they panned to her, and she was frowning?!?! Loved Zara's outfit...stylewise...but might have put her in another color.
Andrew's girls looked horrid and disrepectful in the Abbey....maybe still angry mamma wasn't invited!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Not in a royal wedding. That's a rule that we commoners tend to follow - although I daresay, we could take a page from the royal book. Pippa's echoing of her sister's dress made her presence graceful rather than distracting.

I find the arbitrary choice of color for bridesmaid's dresses to be one of the most perilous aspects of a wedding - so perhaps, I have royal tastes.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Jacinta View Post
Did anyone catch Zara P. pop a piece of gum in her mouth after the ceremony?? The Queen must have seen it on a screen, because they panned to her, and she was frowning?!?! Loved Zara's outfit...stylewise...but might have put her in another color.
Maybe she was subtly showing support for the mother of the bride, after Carole Middleton got all the flack in the media for chewing gum at William's passing out parade at Sandhurst.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Commoner

Did anyone else think Victoria's waitline ruching might be hiding an incipient pregnancy?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

I just wanted to find somewhere to say how delightful and lovely I thought HM's outfit was. The color was not only fabulous, it matched the primrose/golden braids on the men's red suits perfectly and complemented those red coats so well.

The colors of the wedding turned out to be scarlet and primrose, I think - true British colors, and that was a good choice.

The Queen stood out, complemented her husband's uniform - and the two of them looked wonderful together.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the color was fab too. She brought sunshine to the abbey.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Nobility

Does anyone know which wife the King of Swaziland brought to the wedding?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Nobility

I almost wonder if it was a good move on Beatrice's part to wear such an outrageous hat. We've seen that the media was focused on the Middleton women, the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall, and Victoria Beckham. None of the commentators pointed out the Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal, plus the minor family members and foreign royals were largely ignored.

By wearing such an incredible hat, Beatrice pretty much assured that people would be talking about her the next day.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Royal Highness

Vote for William & Catherine's wedding royal lady
Vota por el tocado más original de la Boda Real Inglesa

http://bodasreales.hola.com/principe...n-elegantes/1/
Old 05-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post

By wearing such an incredible hat, Beatrice pretty much assured that people would be talking about her the next day.
But thats nothing new, the York girls seem to dress with exaggerate hats at quite a few events. They don't seem to have a great sense of style. I guess they are still young & finding what suits them & what doesn't.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 AM
Aristocracy

Okay I have to say never was simultaneously impressed and appalled by some of the get ups that I saw on some of these people who can trace their family back a billion years. It made me wonder what exactly is the point of having all that high-born money and no taste to go with it?

I'll start with my best dressed favs:

I thought Victoria Beckham was my favorite. She looked so elegant and classy with her loosely fitted navy dress and matching accessories and she didn't over do it on the hat. I think she and David were the best dressed couple.

I liked what Princess Michael of Kent was wearing. Love that turquoise colour on her and she has the sass to pull it off. Some one said she was the Zsa Zsa Gabor of the BRF. I disagree.

The Countess of Wessex also turned a fine figure. I thought she and CP Victoria of Sweden were the best dressed Royals along with Zara Phillips who's ensemble was head to toe perfect.

I loved the hats that the Ladies Amelia, Eliza, and Kitty (the Diana's nieces via the brother) and also that beautiful hat Princess Ameerah had was lovely. It was pink and really complimented her beautiful hair.

Worse Dressed:

Pardon moi francais, but what the hell were Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie thinking? I liked what Eugenie wore, but that hat was trifling. And her sister, she just looked very cheaply turned out. Like something a seventh grader makes in home economics.

Tara Palmer-Thompkinson...what she wore was so disgraceful to the day. Understated and elegant was the point. Everyone except for her and Beatrice seemed to get the memo on this. That dress would be find for a night out hanging in the drag queen district in some NYC night life event, but to a wedding. She didn't need to worry about her coke nose at all. Her attention should have been on her over all appearance.

And I didn't care for Letizia's look either. She seemed very hungry.
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I almost wonder if it was a good move on Beatrice's part to wear such an outrageous hat. We've seen that the media was focused on the Middleton women, the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall, and Victoria Beckham. None of the commentators pointed out the Countess of Wessex and the Princess Royal, plus the minor family members and foreign royals were largely ignored.

What I found kind of amusing was the photos of the dress that Eugenie wore to the evening party. First photo I saw of it was from a side view and she had the "trainers" on (I did ask when the photo was taken and at that time of the morning I most likely would have been barefoot). Then I saw the back view of the dress and just glancing at it, it would bring to mind the most horrible thing that could happen after leaving the ladies room, the dress got caught tucked in. Somehow i really have to believe that both of the York girls are never going to set the world on fire for fashion.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
. Somehow i really have to believe that both of the York girls are never going to set the world on fire for fashion.

Well, on the evidence to date, I think there are many who would agree with you. In my very humble opinion, I think that one of the difficulties that both girls face is that their mother Sarah has little inherent fashion sense, and if you have a fashion-aware mother, you can often be guided in your choices. What the Princesses really needed before setting off for Westminster Abbey [and preferably before they even purchased their dresses and THAT HAT] was a stylish mother to say ' Oh, not that Dress', or 'Eeeeek you can't wear that hat'. And as I have said elsewhere in this forum, I think that the the Designers and Milliner let the Princesses down very badly as well.

By mentinoning Sarah's lack of early style, I particularly want to stress that I do NOT want this statement to be seen as 'Sarah-bashing'. Instead, please let me try to put this remark into context.

When Sarah joined the Royal Family, many of her outfits were, quite frankly, a disgrace to the Designers who sold them to her. Both 'The Times' and 'Tatler' magazine highlighted the 'Droopy Flower Print frocks' that Sarah appeared in. The important point however was that whilst Diana was the 'stick-thin [which we now know was in part due to her eating disorders] fashion plate', 'Fergie' was big, bouncy and good fun. She joined in very enthusiastically with all the activities the BRF love [horses, country life at Balmoral, weekends at Windsor Castle where the Duke of Edinburgh taught her Carriage Driving].

In the early days of her marriage, the RF quite obviously adored Sarah, praising the way that she joined in with everything and how she was learning to fly etc. [Prince Charles is also rumoured at one point to have said to Diana 'Why can't you be more like Sarah?' A remark quoted in the broadsheets, not just the tabloids.

It was also at that time that people were starting to become a little jaded with the apparent vanity of the Princess of Wales - it was not only the tabloids that published the enormous sums that Diana was apparently spending on clothes and at a time of increasing national austerity, to the general dismay of many royal 'Royal Watchers' including many of the RF's loyal fans; the INITIAL effect of all this was put Sarah's lack of fashion sense 'on the back burner', as it didn't seem to matter so much.

Having obviously been guided well in the choice of her wedding dress, it seemed that after the wedding Sarah started to 'do her own choosing with no guidance', and her lack of fashion-savvy soon showed, but at first, it didn't seem to be important - whereas fashion and charity was Diana's 'thing', Sarah had a host of other activities in addition to her her charity work and fashion was a bit of an irrelevant facet of her life.

Ultimately, when the criticism started to become vocal, Sarah began to take good and sensible advice from professionals who really knew what they were talking about, and when she did so, she often looked very good. The problem however was that when she was not guided well, or when she had taken poor advice, her dressing faults always showed. In my very humble opinion, it is my view that left to her own ideas, Sarah has no inbuilt fashion-radar. Develop this idea further, and let us assume that if the Princesses ever ask their mother for an opinion as to how they look or what suits them, Sarah is not necessarily going to be the best person to advise them. Extrapolate this idea a little, and think what would have been the case if Diana had both lived and had had the daughter she always wanted. With Diana's fashion sense, one would imagine that there would not have been so many fashion mistakes sported by her little Princess.

Only my views,

Alex
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

Alex,

A very good analysis and observation on the York girls lack of fashion. Obviously it's inherited, LOL but I suppose in the long time is not a crime against humanity, just a sight for sore eyes!
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know that Bea and Eugenie are not the most genetically blessed, looks wise. But couldnt they get a stylist to help them choose clothes that are more flattering to their shape and coloring? Not everyone is 6' tall and 120 lbs.