Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Fashions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually liked Victoria Beckhams hat although different it fit her . Where as Beatrice's hat was just plain wrong.

Could I provide a little supplemental information to help with this one, please?

(..)

Thanks so much - of course I know the rules of white tie and black tie and tiaras (have read my Munn :)), but I didn't know this nice story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Bea's outfit was bad, just that hat! Or whatever you want to call it.

I agree, she looked fine. But as for the hat, it may have been over the top, but Beatrice seems to have a taste for outrageous hats!

In retrospect, I don't think it looked that bad (there were worse hats, really).

Best dressed:

The bride of course. One of the (if not the) most beautiful wedding gowns in decades.

Marie-Chantal of Greece (divine).
Princess Michael of Kent (imperial as usual).
Lady Frederick Windsor/Sophie Winkleman (very smart).
Lady Gabriella Windsor (stunning hat & sophisticated as always).

Worst dressed:

The York sisters (no further comment :p)

Disappointing:

CP Letizia (nice to see her with a hat & actually quite cute looking but definitely NOT a look for a big wedding like this one).
CP Victoria (much to curvy look for attending a service in church, unflattering hat).
CP Mathilde (ugly shoes).

The Queen & the Duchess of Cornwall professional as always, the Countess of Wessex's look was also nice and another funky look by Zara. No surprises and no fireworks here of course. ;)

I am probably very old-fashioned, but I think that for Royal Weddings it is a bit discouretous for guests to wear large and/ or unusual hats. Smaller hats [I didn't say 'small' hats, I just mean 'regular-sized hats'] to me seem to the way forward in my very humble opinion. This is because large hats - although they can look glorious - do tend to impact on the views of others. It doesn't matter so much at smaller weddings because (for example) If you find yourself sitting behind a guest with a Beatrice-type monstrosity, you can usually 'position' yourself slightly so that your view of proceedings is no longer obscured; at a Royal Wedding [or other 'Important' wedding] space is usually at a premium and so you can't move. William and Catherine's wedding was a little unusual for the 'ordinary' guests, if I can use that word - i.e. I mean those who were not 'friends / family' because one of the guests yesterday [the Chief Executive of Centre Point from memory] revealed that his admission card placed him only in a specific 'Area', not a specific seat, and so within this defined area, you could 'seat yourself'. Most important Official Chuch services I have attended have always included an assigned seat number, so if I find yourself sitting behind someone with a towerering hat........I just have to grin and bear it.

With regard to Beatrice's hat, I see from the papers that some 'fashion-istas' are saying that her sartorial mishap was the direct result of not having a mother present to say 'Eeeek, you can't wear that for a Royal Wedding, think of everyone else who has to see round you'. Mind you, my response to that was that the designer who created it [Philip Treacy or have I misremembered?] as a couture milliner should have reminded her himself.

Incidentally, I have the honour to be in the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot each year, and if you turn up in a hat that is likely to obscure people's views too much, the officials remind you that it is a breach of good manners and won't let you into the Royal Enclosure, only the Paddock and Grandstand.

Alex

:previous: I agree, Diarist. I wouldn't have wanted to be the one sitting behind Princess Michael. :p Looked gorgeous, though.

Did Eugenie buy that dress off the rack or did the designer design it for her? If she chose it then she really has no idea what to wear. If the designer did it specifically for her then she should have known better that dress was not right for her.

The bride outshone almost everyone, including severa ladies from the Queen's "batch" - simplicity and good bearing is always a hit.

Did Eugenie buy that dress off the rack or did the designer design it for her? If she chose it then she really has no idea what to wear. If the designer did it specifically for her then she should have known better that dress was not right for her.

The dress didn't fit her very well, she looked crammed into the top.
So I think it couldn't have been specifically designed for her, because then the fit would be better.

Queen Elizabeth II - lovely as always, great, eye-catching color but I saw better outfits of her.

Duchess of Cornwall - in pictures I see two-tone nice coat (love embroidery), dress in different shade, hat matching to the dress and miss matched metallic pumps. To much for me.

Princess Eugenie - I like hairstyle, make-up and hat, hate the outfit, doing nothing to her.

Princess Beatrice - on the other hand great outfit but horrible make-up and this thing on her head :eek:

Sophie of Wessex - very pretty.

Princess Royal - not bad for her. I like colors.

Zara - nice hat, I love bow on her back.

Autumn Phillips - too much going on. Coat seems to be too big for her.

Princess Michael of Kent - ok, I like color and the biggest hat in the family.

Lady Sarah Chatto - I like color and style of dress.

CP Letizia - lovely. Not that spectacular like in the evening before but nice and elegant. She looks good in hat.

CP Mathilde - I like top part, hate skirt and shoes. Like strong color.

CP Maxima - I like it. Good color, nice details and good-looking (on her) hat.

Charlene - simple but nice. I like color and accessories.

CP Victoria - cheap looking shoes, boring hat and ill fitting (too tight) dress. I only like color and hairdo.

DG MT - she is lovely woman but it was boring outfit.

Lady Frederick Windsor - one of the best looking guest. Elegant outfit and good accessories.

I had to laugh when I recalled Vivenne Westwood's comment about Catherine not wearing her clothes ... something about fashion "maturity". Well ....... everytime I have seen her designs I get sick. First Helena Bonham Carter at the film awards and now Eugenie. IF that is fashion maturity I think I'd prefer to remain in my adolescence. VW's designs, IMO, are ghastly. Simply wearing a famous fashion designer does NOT a fashion icon make. One wonders if these people EVER look in the mirror. The same goes for Philip Treacy hats, some may be lovely but some are just plain weird, maybe OK for Ascot but not a wedding.

Shouldn't say this, but to me VW's designs remind me of the Tale of the Emperor's new clothes; all the fashion crowd coo with delight over VW; her stuff may be technically beautifully crafted but to me it often shrieks of costume ball.

The mind boggles as to what VW would have dressed Catherine in yesterday - a wedding version of her celebrated 'mini-crini' perhaps? [Have a quick google, but keep the sickbag handy!!!]:)

I do believe this is the lovely Princess Alexandra in the blue hat behind Beatrice's 'antlers'! http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1382086-0BD53A7A00000578-57_634x418.jpg
and again just behind Princess Michael, still not a good view I'm afraid..
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1382086-0BD46F7C00000578-15_306x516.jpg

Edit: Found Lady Sarah Chatto! http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/11...9F9EB07E8FA4AB621890B359BA6B3BB263DE7D585E6D7 It's odd..when I saw her on the BBC I liked her outfit but it doesn't look so good to me in the photos..

Edit again: Found Princess Alexandra! http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/11...2FB0822FF79E8B621890B359BA6B34DEEDF27202FEC09

Princess Alexandra really looked great - as did Pr Michael of Kent. You can say what you want - this woman knows how to dress. ;)

I thought that the Duchess of Kent looked frail and ill...

Loved the pastel color of CP Victoria's dress. She looked lovely and graceful as always.
I liked Letizia as well, a posh outfit.

But for me the winner was Princess Ameerah. The outfit altogheter is the best one. Great hat, dress, clutch and shoes! I also envy her hair! It actually looks more put-together and neater than the bride's hair.

I wonder if Beatrice's hat was designed to tie in with the fancy work on her coat? If it was then it size missed the mark, but it would make the hat have some reason for being so outrageous.

I noticed today that Prince Philip has always based his clothing off of the groom's at royal weddings. In 1960, he wore a morning suit (which is what Antony Armstrong-Jones wore); in 1981 and 1986, he wore naval uniform (which is what Charles and Andrew wore); and in 1973 and 2011, he wore an army uniform (generic general officer blues in 1973, and Grenadier Guards the second time; Mark Philips wore his army uniform in 1973, and William wore a uniform from the same brigade in the army this time).

ETA: And in 1999 and 2005, he wore a morning suit, although so did everyone else on those occasions.

I do believe this is the lovely Princess Alexandra in the blue hat behind Beatrice's 'antlers'! http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1382086-0BD53A7A00000578-57_634x418.jpg
and again just behind Princess Michael, still not a good view I'm afraid..
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/29/article-1382086-0BD46F7C00000578-15_306x516.jpg

Edit: Found Lady Sarah Chatto! http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/11...9F9EB07E8FA4AB621890B359BA6B3BB263DE7D585E6D7 It's odd..when I saw her on the BBC I liked her outfit but it doesn't look so good to me in the photos..

Edit again: Found Princess Alexandra! http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/11...2FB0822FF79E8B621890B359BA6B34DEEDF27202FEC09

Thanks. They looked great! :notworthy:

I must also say that I loved the pink The Duchess of Kent wore.

Last edited:
I noticed today that Prince Philip has always based his clothing off of the groom's at royal weddings. In 1960, he wore a morning suit (which is what Antony Armstrong-Jones wore); in 1981 and 1986, he wore naval uniform (which is what Charles and Andrew wore); and in 1973 and 2011, he wore an army uniform (generic general officer blues in 1973, and Grenadier Guards the second time; Mark Philips wore his army uniform in 1973, and William wore a uniform from the same brigade in the army this time).

ETA: And in 1999 and 2005, he wore a morning suit, although so did everyone else on those occasions.

George VI also wore naval uniform to Philip's wedding because Philip was in naval uniform.

Also loved Charlene Whittstock (reminded me of a cool Hitchcock blonde)

I somehow think Charlene is trying too hard to emulate her late Mother in Law to be! :ohmy: The wide neckline accentuates her swimmers shoulders.

Sorry, but I thought Pippa wearing white was wrong. Call me old-school but only the bride is supposed to wear white to her wedding. A nice pastel color on Pippa would have looked nice. Also, I thought her dress was way too tight and clinging. I found it inappropriate for the event and the venue.

If you look back at the pictures from all the royal weddings since (and including 1947) you will see that the bridesmaids dresses are always white or cream. Diana's bridesmaids had a yellowy coloured belt/sash at the waist but were the same colour as her wedding dress.

If you look back at the pictures from all the royal weddings since (and including 1947) you will see that the bridesmaids dresses are always white or cream. Diana's bridesmaids had a yellowy coloured belt/sash at the waist but were the same colour as her wedding dress.

Except for Sarah Ferguson's bridesmaids, they wore peach coloured dresses.

That's a bad picture. They were soft peach
YouTube - ROYAL WEDDING 1986 - Andew & Sarah (2 of 9)

Canadian television showed quite a few foreign royals but didn't name them. I've been able to ID them as the royal couples of Morocco, Malaysia and Brunei.

They did name CP,Willem-Alexander and Maxima, Prince Albert and Charlene and The King and Queen of Norway. Even got a story of the news anchor unknowingly snorkeling with King Harald in Antigua a few years ago.

ohhhh Princess Ameerah looks more than beautiful !!!!!!!

I wonder if there was nobody of Jordanian Royal Family at the wedding ???

And what about Nikolaos and Tatiana. They attended the pre-wedding evening celebration... But, no pics of them at the religious celebration ???

What did the Duchess of Gloucester wear?
I didn't see her at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom