Victorian and Edwardian hairstyles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mignon190034

Commoner
City
Milwaukee
Country
United States
I thought i should start a thread on the hairstyles the old royals used to wear
and i'll start off with a few pictures

r9904.jpg

carlofswedenschildren218937.jpg

mw54712.jpg

thats all i can find right now :bang: hopefully i can find more interesting pictures with hairstyles....to see how they are done

Last edited by a moderator:
Mignon190034 said:
I thought i should start a thread on the hairstyles the old royals used to wear
and i'll start off with a few pictures

thats all i can find right now :bang: hopefully i can find more interesting pictures with hairstyles....to see how they are done

Hi Mignon,
are you that?{slight of figure?}
These hairstyles become delicate features or they make features look delicate. They are very feminine indeed. They take the coarse shadows away from the face. I love them as they are romatic.

more pictures of pretty hairstyles...also childrens outfits

yeah....i agree.....i would like to try and figure out how to achieve some of these hairstyles....for like halloween or something

r9400.jpg

3896746.jpg

3454454.jpg

another thing is the outfits in which they wore ....so pretty ...i'd kill to have some of those dresses

victoriamelita238468734.jpg

kirillwithkiraandmaria12739.jpg

georgemariexeniaandnicholas0sh-1023.jpg

ileanaqw93874982364.jpg

the children used to be dressed very prim and proper back then....maybe we could post pictures of victorian childrens dresses as well...well that and edwardian

Mignon190034 said:
yeah....i agree.....i would like to try and figure out how to achieve some of these hairstyles....for like halloween or something

another thing is the outfits in which they wore ....so pretty ...i'd kill to have some of those dresses

To achieve these hairstyles you need a spiral perm and below shoulder length hair. Then you need me to put your hair up so that the front comes forward.Believe it or not I used to do my hair like that when I was younger.
It is also called "the Gibson girl " look.
For the inverted role which we see Scarlett O'Hara wearing in GWTW which frames the face women had and I have a piece for hair to wrap the hair in... and around the face. This was repeated in the forties hairdos and early eighties for romatics like us...

Those hairstyles can't be done without a lot of padding called "rats" and hair pieces

Alexandra and her daughter in law May always wore false fringes which were very popular at the time as alot of women did not want to cut into their own hair

Sissi the Austrian empress used to make fun of her daughter in law Stephanie for wearing hair pieces but Sissi was very lucky to have all that hair of her own:flowers:

One of the most famous hairstyles (which happens to be among the most common) back in the Victorian era is the Gibson Girl hairstyle. Here's an easy tutorial on how to do it:

Maybe I should try that. Goodness knows when hairdressers will be allowed to reopen here, and I haven't had this much hair since the late 1980s!

Victorian and Edwardian hairstyles don’t exactly match up to modern clothing and are very impractical, imo. Especially so as from 1870 onwards masses of false hair was worn. A boon for people with thin hair, but still…! Even in the 1890s there were false fringes, worn by Mary Duchess of York, and her sisters in law at times. Probably quite itchy and uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom