Vanity Fair's International Best-Dressed List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpressRouge

Serene Highness
Country
United States
This thread is for discussing royals who have made the International Best-Dressed List and its Hall of Fame. The list was started in 1940 by Eleanor Lambert in 1940 as a publicity stunt to boost the American fashion industry. The Hall of Fame was created in 1958 to prevent style icons like the Duchess of Windsor from monopolizing the top spots and to allow newcomers a chance. Since her death at age 100 (!) in 2003, Lambert has left the polling/selection of the list to the editors of Vanity Fair magazine. For individual profiles of royals on the list since 2004, check out the forum on "Royals in Vogue, Vanity Fair..."

Royals in the Best-Dressed Hall of Fame, with names, “occupation,” residences,and the year they were inducted

note: there might be some dispute on whether some of these people are "real" royals, but I'm just going by what they have in the book.

Women:

H.R.H. Countess Arco (Marie Beatrice), socialite, business woman; Munich and Greenwich, Conn (2000).

H.R.H. Princess Kyril of Bulgaria (Rosario), art consultant; London (1995).

Princess Irène Galitzine, fashion designer, Rome (1965).

H.M. Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, London (1958).

H.R.H. Princess Pavlos of Greece (Marie-Chantal), children’s-clothing designer, wife of heir to [former] Greek throne; London (1999).

H.R.H. Princess Caroline of Hanover, elder daughter of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco; Monte Carlo and Paris (1994).

H.I.M Empress Michiko of Japan, Tokyo (1990).

H.R.H. Princess Firyal of Jordan, UNESCO goodwill ambassador; New York (1985).

H.M. Queen Noor of Jordan, Amman (1998).

H.R.H. the Duchess of Kent (born Princess Marina of Greece), London (1960).

Princess Salima Aga Khan, childwelfare activist, first wife (begum) of His Highness the Aga Khan, the Muslim spiritual leader; Paris (1973).

H.S.H. Princess Édouard de Lobkowicz (Françoise de Bourbon-Parme), philanthropist; Paris (1977).

H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco, film star Grace Kelly; Monte Carlo (1960).

Empress Farah Pahlavi, former Empress of Iran; Paris (1977).

H.M. Queen Sirikit of Thailand, Bangkok (1965).

Diana, Princess of Wales, London (1989).

"Princess" Lee Radziwill, Vanity Fair contributing editor, sister of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, ex-wife of Prince Stanislaus Radziwill and Herbert Ross (1996)

The Duchess of Windsor (Wallis Simpson), wife of the abdicated King of England; Paris (1958).

Men:

Prince Pierre d’Arenberg, host; Paris (2001).

H.R.H. Prince Kyril of Bulgaria, investment banker; London (1997).

H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II; London (1975).

H.S.H. Prince Rupert von und zu Löwenstein, investment manager; London (2001).

The Rt. Hon. Sir Angus Ogilvy, brother of the Earl of Airlie, husband of Princess Alexandra of Kent; London (1972).

H.M. King Juan Carlos of Spain, Madrid (1987).

H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, London (1980).

H.R.H. the Duke of Windsor, former King of England, abdicated throne for Wallis Simpson; Paris (1968).

H.R.H. Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia, jewelry designer, New York (1994).

H.R.H. Prince Michael of Kent(1999).

Last edited:
if you would post pictures of Queen and Princess for best dresses?

Sara Boyce

Sorry, there aren't any pictures of the royals specifically taken for the Best-Dressed List or that wouldn't already be in the person's individual thread/forum. I've posted the pics of royals who made the 2004 and 2005 list in "Royalty in Vogue, Vanity Fair..." http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=223346#post223346 or in the person's individual thread. The Best Dressed List comes out annually in Vanity Fair's April issue. There is a book devoted to the list, Ultimate Style: The Best of the Best Dressed List by Bettina Zilkha with a foward by the List's late founder, Eleanor Lambert.

Other royals who have on the Best Dressed List, but not in the Hall of Fame:
Princess Margaret (1951, 1953-1956, 1958)
Queen Fredericka of Greece (1954)
Princess Alexandra of Kent (1959-1961, 1963, 1965, 1967)
Princess Luciana Pignatelli (1966-1967)
Princess Ira Furstenberg of Italy (1968)
Diane von Furstenberg (Princess Egon) (1971-1974)
Mohammed-Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran (1975)
Prince Egon von Furstenberg (1978)
The Duchess of Kent (born Katherine Worsley) (1980
Prince Andrew, Duke of York (1982)
King Hassan of Morocco (1985)
The Rajmata of Jaipur (Princess Aisha of Jaipur, India) (1986)
Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (1986)
The Prince and Princess of Preslav (special citation, 1990)
Prince Jean of Luxembourg (symbol of the young conservative swing, 1983)
Lord Snowdon (1970-1971)
Lady Sarah Chatto (nee Armstrong-Jones) (1990)
Princess Elizabeth Con Sachsen-Weimar (1990, 1994)
Viscountess Linley (Serena) (1993, 1995-1998)
The Miller Sisters: Pia, Marie-Chantal, Alexandra (Mrs. Christopher Getty, Princess Pavlos of Greece, Princess Alexandre von Furstenberg) (1994, special citation 1995 all in one spot)
Prince William of Wales (1997-1998)
Philip von Hapsburg (1999)
Queen Rania of Jordan (2001, 2004-2005)
Princess Olga of Greece (2004)
Prince Pavlos of Greece (2004)

Last edited:
what what is the man who always makes a best dressed list each year his last name strats with black something

Congratulations to Mathilde! She always looks elegant!!!!!!

Long overdue and I hope she makes the Hall of Fame in the future.

Vanity Fair: International Best Dressed List featuring Royals and Nobles

This is the topic where you can discuss the latest issue of Vanity Fair and their homage to royals and nobles who are considered the best dressed in the world.

Enjoy!:flowers:

The main thing for me is that Crown Princess Mathilde has been acknowledged in this list. She happens to be the only noble/royal woman. I believe that this acknowledgment is well-deserved because Crown Princess Mathilde has been displaying an impeccable style so far. She is effortlessly elegant in both timeless classical pieces and edgy modern ones.
As for men, brothers Rafael, Duke of Feria and Don Luis Medina are young, hot, and ultra fashionable. In my view, they tend to personify those perfect characters from romance novels. Others nobles include Count Manfredi della Gherardesca and HSH Prince Heinrich von und zu Furstenberg, who, I have to say, looks great in a Pakistani-style outfit.

While I really love Mathilde, I would never put her at number 1 in any best dress list because her taste is way too old fashion, in my opinion. In any case, congratulations to her.

Apat from Mathilde there are other nobles and royals on the list I believe. Rafael and Luis de Medina for example. And Kate Middleton.

Mathilde is absolutely beautiful and well deserves her place on the list, but I am very surprised at Michelle Obama being anywhere near the best dressed list, they show her in a very crumpled frumpy dress as well.
Victoria Beckham, whom I admit I am not at all taken with, looks really elegant in this photo.

Mathilde is absolutely beautiful and well deserves her place on the list, but I am very surprised at Michelle Obama being anywhere near the best dressed list, they show her in a very crumpled frumpy dress as well ...[snipped]
Certain people mentioned in this list are in vogue at the moment ...

I applaud Princess Matilde for making the list. However there are some individuals there........who do not belong. Wonder how that poll was conducted and who voted.

I am so glad that Mathilde has topped the list! She is always immaculately groomed - she is stylish - never trying to call undue attention to herself. She might go a little bit out on the edge with a whimsical hat - but that is it. Her fashion is timeless.
But I am shocked that Letizia was rated second - the photo shown is over 4 years old taken at the Fred/Mary wedding. That was the very last time that Letizia showed any real fashion flair, and to me, it has been downhill ever since. Her second place is a joke.

Well, on the Vanity Fair list P Mathilde was 9th out of 37 with Ivanka Trump and Michelle Obama leading the parade. On the second list.........Any results that have Amy Winehouse, Bjork and Oprah as "best dressed" I would not want to be included in. Again, I wonder who voted......

Again, I wonder who voted.....
The second list is voted for by the Vanity Fair readers, there's a link in the Vanity Fair list.

I wondered since I have been reading Vanity Fair front to back once a month for 5 years and never saw the poll. Was this conducted on line?

The poll is still running. If you click on the photos on the second list you can rate them from 1-10.

Thanks I will go back and do some re arranging!!!!!!!LOL

Here is an interesting article from the guradian.co.uk

One of Vanity Fair's 'best-dressed' is wearing a jacket that looks like a thrown-up Indian takeaway

...this week Vanity Fair unveils its 69th annual International Best-Dressed list. Isn't giving gongs to rich people for having expensive clothes the same as applauding a puddle for being wet? And how does Vanity Fair find them? Do they pick up Boujis and turn it upside down on the South Kensington pavement? I read the list while holding..

Here is an interesting article from the guradian.co.uk

One of Vanity Fair's 'best-dressed' is wearing a jacket that looks like a thrown-up Indian takeaway

...this week Vanity Fair unveils its 69th annual International Best-Dressed list. Isn't giving gongs to rich people for having expensive clothes the same as applauding a puddle for being wet? And how does Vanity Fair find them? Do they pick up Boujis and turn it upside down on the South Kensington pavement? I read the list while holding..

Oh!!!!!!!!! It feels so good to have my thoughts so nicely articulated by someone who can be published at the Guardian.........I feel sooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!:whistling::whistling:

GOOOO Mathilde!! It's great to see the world's classiest and best Crown Princess be recognized this way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom