Vanity Fair's International Best-Dressed List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also surprised that Lady Gabriella is not on the list as her clothes just keep getting better and better. She is bound to make it eventually.

It would be great to see Lady Gabriella Windsor mentioned in this list because she is the best dressed person related to the British Royal family.

Princess Letizia is Among Vanity Fair’s Best-Dressed

I
But I am shocked that Letizia was rated second - the photo shown is over 4 years old taken at the Fred/Mary wedding. That was the very last time that Letizia showed any real fashion flair, and to me, it has been downhill ever since. Her second place is a joke.

Well it is just your opinion, it is impossible that all people think the same way but many people in Spain and abroad think that Letizia is a very elegant woman, and that is the reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not put too much stock in this year's list. I believe it was skewed somehow and the faces that showed up there well..........how can we say it delicately?????????? Most did not deserve to be spoken about in relation to fashion, let alone appearing in a "best dressed" list!:bang:

As far as I have understood, Crown Princess Letizia is not mentioned in the official list.

It's two different lists - one done by Vanity Fair and another one done by readers of Vanity Fair. The best dressed woman by Vanity Fair is Ivanka Trump with best dressed royal CP Mathilde rank 9 (Kate Middleton is no royal yet). The readers of Vanity Fair (who can vote how often they want by the way) think that CP Letizia is best dressed but the fact that her picture is 4 1/2 years old and shows her in the only dress that ever looked spectaclar on her says it all.

It's two different lists - one done by Vanity Fair and another one done by readers of Vanity Fair. The best dressed woman by Vanity Fair is Ivanka Trump with best dressed royal CP Mathilde rank 9 (Kate Middleton is no royal yet). The readers of Vanity Fair (who can vote how often they want by the way) think that CP Letizia is best dressed but the fact that her picture is 4 1/2 years old and shows her in the only dress that ever looked spectaclar on her says it all.

After the birth of her second child, I think CP Letizia has become worryingly thin. These days her clothes are wearing her - not the other way around. Everything she puts on seems to big for her petite frame. I think it says more about the readers of Vanity fair that they choose to celebrate someone, who seems to have difficulty maintaning her weight, than CP Letizia, who is probably sick and tired of hearing, that she is too skinny. Danish CP Mary got a bit too thin as well, but has since managed to find the right balance. Does anyone know why Letizia is so thin. Does it run in her family? :flowers:

To be well dressed hasn't got anything to do with weight. It is about how you compose your outfit. On can weigh 150 kg or 25 kg and still show excellent tast in clothing.

The prestigious magazine VanityFair has proposed to its readers candidates who deserve the first position for the best dressed woman.
Obviously this survey is not to vote the dress that aperece in the picture, this is only representative. In the case of Letizia, Vanity Fair has chosen the espectadular red dress that she wore in Denmark,although the magazine could have chosen any other beautiful dress of Letizia.
Other women have never wore a dress so spectacular and admired worldwide.
So ... we will have to wait until September to see what is the opinion of people.

I'm quite glad that Letizia was on the list. I think she deserved it although some of her clothes are off. Nevertheless, if you will look at her pictures recently her outfits are elegant and very nice.

I thought Letizia wasn't on the actual best dressed list, isn't she just in the readers online poll that they have running but not on the "Vanity Fair International Best Dressed List 2008"? :confused:

Amelia,
Given the explanations by Duke of Marmalade (see post#33), I believe that you are absolutely right.
T...
Other women have never wore a dress so spectacular and admired worldwide.
I wonder what other women you refer to... I dare to presume that the late Princess Diana was far more popular and admired worldwide.

Given the explanations by Duke of Marmalade (see post#33), I believe that you are absolutely right.

I wonder what other women you refer to... I dare to presume that the late Princess Diana was far more popular and admired worldwide.

Dear Al bina,
I do not remember that a princess´s DRESS actually has been so laureate like that red dress.I'm not saying something not already known, it is evident that the dress was highly admired and copied throughout the world;precisely, princess Mathilde wore a dress with a cut very similar to that Letizia wore in Denmark but in orange.

I have on my desk the copy of the Vanity Fair (September 08).
I am not trying to take anything away from anyone but the "International Best Dressed List" does not include Letizia at all.
Ivanka Trump Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni are the first 3 on the list.
Next to each choice there is an explanation as to why they are included in this year's list.
Ivanka: Because she is the sorcerer's apprentice
Obama: Because she is our (theirs) commander in sheath
Carla: Because we like her French twist..........and on and on it goes.
I still believe this list is composed tongue in cheek, since some of the choices are a bit off.
The poll where Letizia is part of (among others) is an on line poll and the results are not in yet. One can go and vote for anyone 100 times if they wish. It means as much.

Dear Al bina,
I do not remember that a princess´s DRESS actually has been so laureate like that red dress.I'm not saying something not already known, it is evident that the dress was highly admired and copied throughout the world;precisely, princess Mathilde wore a dress with a cut very similar to that Letizia wore in Denmark but in orange.
I am totally confused and I believe you have misunderstood what I meant. It is great that Crown Princess Letizia wore such a spectacular red dress. However, I highly doubt that all royal ladies copied her look. It is impossible for me to say that Crown Princess Mathilde copied the famous dress. If my memory serves me right, Crown Princess Letizia was often compared to Queen Rania as their overall style bears similarities.
Anyone is free to correct me, but I think that the Vanity Fair list considers the overall style of a particular person, not just a single dress.
I believe that any further arguments will prove fruitless. So it would better for us to stop here.

I am totally confused and I believe you have misunderstood what I meant. It is great that Crown Princess Letizia wore such a spectacular red dress. However, I highly doubt that all royal ladies copied her look. It is impossible for me to say that Crown Princess Mathilde copied the famous dress. If my memory serves me right, Crown Princess Letizia has often been compared to Queen Rania as their overall style bears similarities.
Anyone is free to correct me, but I think that Vanity Fair list considers the overall style of dressing, not just a single dress. I believe that any further arguments will prove fruitless. So it would better to stop here.

It seems you do not understand to me.
I have never said that all the royals ladies copying that dress. The red dress was highly admired and copied. For example, Princess Laurentin copied the red dress of Letizia, by the way, a very bad copy. And princess Mathilde wore a very similar dress (I do not remember when this was),including the brooch that Letizia also wore in the famous dress.

And...If you read my previous replies to Duke of Marmalade, you'll see that I have said that voting is not based only on the dress in the photo., so please,to prevent misunderstandings,you should read better the messages.

I do not know who made the famous red dress for Letizia. However there have been numerous times in high society when 2 or 3 ladies showed up in a "unique" style only to find the other 1 or 2 wearing the same dress.
At a White House ball Laura Bush had to go upstairs and change dresses.
Is it possible that the dress was produced in many colours and the dresses were already ordered but Letizia was the first one to show up in it?
To be honest, although not a favourite of mine, I was surprised Marie Chantal was not on the list. If nothing else that lady is always at least 2 seasons ahead of all of the rest....

Dear Al bina,

Camarina said:
It seems you do not understand to me.
I have never said that all the royals ladies copying that dress. The red dress was highly admired and copied. For example, Princess Laurentin copied the red dress of Letizia, by the way, a very bad copy. And princess Mathilde wore a very similar dress (I do not remember when this was),including the brooch that Letizia also wore in the famous dress.

Oh please, there´s no need to hype this red gown with a rather classic and not really innovative cut as mother of all gowns. :cool: It was a really nice dress for sure, but it didn´t set a new trend.
Mathilde has never worn a dress comparable to Letizia´s red dress. I assume this is the gown you are referring to,
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/76...4AD9FDB9CF193633F7A37F02F3BA5EC40BF4C252DAE3F
and the only similar feature is the smocked/folded upper part, this is not what I would call very similar. And yes she has worn a brooch, just like Letizia and a gazillion of other women before them.
Princess Laurentien was indeed the only royal who wore a comparable frock post Letizia.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2006/PPE LAURENTIEN 1.jpg
And btw you gotta praise Laurentien and Mathilde for not faking a cupsize they don´t have.

And this readers` online poll seems to be a fun thing to entertain the vfdaily.com readers, not more, not less.

Dear Camarina
I have re-read your response to Duke of Marmalade, and I have to say that Crown Princess Letizia has got a very usual classical safe style. That is all. The photos can be found when Crown Princess Letizia wore outfits similar to those of Queen Rania. Could we say that Crown Princess Letizia copied Queen Rania? For instance: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/219678-post90.html or http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/219681-post91.html or http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/219682-post92.html or http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/219683-post93.html.
Moreover, there is the whole thread devoted to this subject http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/royal-ladies-their-similar-style-10690.html

To be honest, although not a favourite of mine, I was surprised Marie Chantal was not on the list. If nothing else that lady is always at least 2 seasons ahead of all of the rest....
Marie-Chantal is already a member of the VF hall of fame since 1999. According to VF this is “highest honor a sartorial savant can receive.” (Sounds pretty pompous and this is why all these lists shouldn´t be taken too serious IMVHO)
Not sure about it, but perhaps the hall of fame members don´t reappear on the annual lists after their “canonization”.

To be well dressed hasn't got anything to do with weight. It is about how you compose your outfit. On can weigh 150 kg or 25 kg and still show excellent tast in clothing.

I think it does and in CP Letizia's case she does not wear her clothes very well, because they always seem too big on her.:flowers:

Marie-Chantal is already a member of the VF hall of fame since 1999. According to VF this is “highest honor a sartorial savant can receive.” (Sounds pretty pompous and this is why all these lists shouldn´t be taken too serious IMVHO)
Not sure about it, but perhaps the hall of fame members don´t reappear on the annual lists after their “canonization”.

Oh even canonized pompous hall of famers want to hear every year that they did not fall off the charts.........:ROFLMAO:
I do not know if once canonised they do not show up again........Need to do some serious research on the subject.........:bang:

Well I'm bummed. Wallis never made it to the Hall of Fame best Dressed.
:sad:

Dear Camarina
. Could we say that Crown Princess Letizia copied Queen Rania?

Dear Al Bina,
You can think and say what you want, you are free to do so.
I simply say my opinion and I remain in my thoughts.;)

I have on my desk the copy of the Vanity Fair (September 08). I am not trying to take anything away from anyone but the "International Best Dressed List" does not include Letizia at all. Ivanka Trump Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni are the first 3 on the list.

The poll where Letizia is part of (among others) is an on line poll and the results are not in yet. One can go and vote for anyone 100 times if they wish. It means as much.

You are completely right Odette. In the beginning this whole thread was about the International Best Dressed List by Vanity Fair Magazine with Ivanka Trump in top position (where Letizia is not included) and not about the online reader poll (where Letizia is currently in top position) that has only limited significance as everybody can vote as often as they wish and will be finished in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom