The 80s: Fashion Disasters

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crisiñaki

Heir Apparent
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I thought it would be funny to open a thread about the 80's fashion, which was incredibly awful, the worst years for fashion to date and how it affected our beloved royals who always have to be on the top of everything

I'll start with Infanta Cristina:

Source: Cover, Point de Vue (thanks to iceflower)

I love her but this has no excuses

Last edited by a moderator:
Source:Getty Images
Princess Astrid had some awful outfits in the 80s

Normally I love Princess Diana, but the 80s were not kind to her at all...

diana1.jpg

diana2.jpg

diana3.jpg

diana4.jpg

diana5.jpg

Photos from Getty

Last edited:
Her dress in pic number 3 was the definition of AWFUL!:eek:
you would think she got lazy that day and just put pantyhose and heels under her robe just after she got up from bed!:eek::eek:

I love the 80's! Bad fashion, hair and all. Nothing can top it in my book.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but why don't you like the tan suit that Diana is wearing? I know some people did not like the big hair, etc. but I thought this outfit was pretty elegant!
I do NOT like the blue dress that ended at her knees. The top is really pretty but then something bad happened! And the gloves are a disaster too!
I love Princess Di, but when she got it wrong, she usually went ALL out and got everything wrong!

Ahhh the 80s- Big Shoulder Pads, Crimped hair, Large hair, heavy makeup, etc.
Don't forget that the 80s spilled over to a few years of the early 90s.

The tan outfit Diana is wearing isn't too bad (except the shoulder pads :eek:).

I just really don't like the white front to the outfit...that combined with the shoulder pads just made me shudder. But its definitely one of the more mild of Di's 80s offenses!

Some of Diana's polka-dot outfits from the 80's are, um, interesting.

crisiñaki said:
Her dress in pic number 3 was the definition of AWFUL!:eek:
you would think she got lazy that day and just put pantyhose and heels under her robe just after she got up from bed!:eek::eek:

She should have saved it for the 90's to throw over the John Galliano nightgown / slipdress!

The irony of that awful robe is that Diana actually wore it to a London Fashion Week reception.

kwanfan said:
The irony of that awful robe is that Diana actually wore it to a London Fashion Week reception.

:eek::eek::eek: Let's hope she was trying to make an statement with that "thing":rolleyes::cool:

It is important to remember that these pictures were taken in the 80s, were fashion sense was totally different from nowdays. There are many of these dresses or hairdos that were in during that time. So judging them based on our tastes that is influenced on today's fashion styles is not possible. We can read magazines of those times and see what they thought it was a disaster or not, so we can compare.

So true Ariel!

I had a red outfit similiar to the one Diana is wearing in pic #2. The 80s were about dressing in fads. Does anyone have a pic of any royals sporting legwarmers?:eek:

Hahaha, this thread is hilarious! The 80's were terrible. I'm going to look for some Beatrix pics. She really was a walking disaster back then...

Okay, four pics from ANP. Just pay attention to the last one (sorry, wasn't able to find a close up...): those sleeves. I can't get over them. :eek: And the make-up in the first one. Aaaargh...

Gosh that blue make up is awfull !!!!!!!!!

Thank god this era is gone …
When I think of all the tacky shades and shoulder bads ..eeeeeeeeeeeek:eek:
i tore most of my pics in that time ..teh hair styles are awful
:eek:

what a great thread, i can't stop giggling. dianas sister hair in the 3rd post looks like an ugly fur hat.

margotantoinette said:
and yet her hair hasn't seemed to have changed at all... ;)

The Beatrixkapsel is an entity of its own!:D:D

crisiñaki said:
The Beatrixkapsel is an entity of its own!
The word 'Beatrixkapsel' made it even to the 'Van Dale' (most known dictionary of the dutch language). We, Belgians, got jealous and wanted our own word : the 'Fabiolakapsel'. :)

Coquine said:
The word 'Beatrixkapsel' made it even to the 'Van Dale' (most known dictionary of the dutch language). We, Belgians, got jealous and wanted our own word : the 'Fabiolakapsel'. :)

well, both expressions are part of the "pop culture" of both countries!
a proof of the tenacity of those women and their neverending hairdos!:D:D

crisiñaki said:
well, both expressions are part of the "pop culture" of both countries!
a proof of the tenacity of those women and their neverending hairdos!:D:D
Well, it's good to see that the Beatrixkapsel keeps us busy. :)

I have some other of Beatrix for you (I'm soooo glad that she stopped wearing those sleeves, I remember we already found them quite weird back then, my mother and I):

Pics from ANP

Maxie said:
Well, it's good to see that the Beatrixkapsel keeps us busy. :)

I have some other of Beatrix for you (I'm soooo glad that she stopped wearing those sleeves, I remember we already found them quite weird back then, my mother and I):

Pics from ANP
Thanks for these pictures Maxie!
Off topic, but these pictures do prove what a beautiful woman she was (and is really). The pictures above must have been taken in the eighties of course, which means she was already 40-plus years old. People don't seem to typically appreciate how pretty Beatrix was.

Last edited by a moderator:
princess olga said:
Thanks for these pictures Maxie!
Off topic, but these pictures do prove what a beautiful woman she was (and is really). The pictures above must have been taken in the eighties of course, which means she was already 40-plus years old. People don't seem to typically appreciate how pretty Beatrix was.

I totally agree with you! She really was beautiful (still is) and her personality just made her better looking like it happens with Maxima:)

Awwww, I loved the 80's! The over-the-topness of the colors, hugeness of the hair and the shoulder pads, Anybody remember the fuscia lipstick? We glowed in the dark and could shelter whole families from the sun thanks to the shade created by our enormous locks!!! It's nice to see the royals have some hideous photos from that time period too.
I think Diana's prince of wales plaid suit and her tan suit are quite nice.
The Bellville Sassoon dressing gown dress was truly horrible. It came with matching silk trousers but she opted not to wear them, I can't imagine they would have made it look any worse

bluebess said:
The Bellville Sassoon dressing gown dress was truly horrible. It came with matching silk trousers but she opted not to wear them, I can't imagine they would have made it look any worse

Errrm, remember Murphy's law?:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom