The 80s: Fashion Disasters

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, you're right Crisinaki, it would have been worse, then she would have looked like Hugh Hefner (not physically, just the pajamas--Hef wishes he were that pretty!).

late Diana,Princess of Wales wores 80's fashion clothings since her marriages to Prince Charles in 1981 and she throw old clothes and she never using clothes and im sure Diana got some few sold of her evening dress at christies about 80's but she still using new clothes after she divorces from Prince Charles but Diana not using old clothing

We can't forget Diana's balloon skirt, worn twice (both times in France) in 1987. :eek:

Recently Princess Maxima wore such a skirt, and not to good effect. If these two beautiful princesses can't pull off this fashion, then there is no hope for us mere mortals to be able to do so either.:D

kwanfan said:
The irony of that awful robe is that Diana actually wore it to a London Fashion Week reception.

:) Maybe her sense oof humour took the moment!! It does look like a house robe, elegant one, but one none the less!:)

GlitteringTiaras said:
I love the 80's! Bad fashion, hair and all. Nothing can top it in my book.

Me too!!.. I also loved the padded shoulders... Made me feel, the way Joan Crawford looked....:p Oh - perhaps that's not a good thing...

Yeah, forgot about the shoulder pads. They were great!:rolleyes:

kerry said:
Yeah, forgot about the shoulder pads. They were great!:rolleyes:

yeah, everybody looked like a high school quarterback:cool:

The shoulder pads helped balance out the titanic hair:D Or maybe that was the other way around!

Squidgy said:
We can't forget Diana's balloon skirt, worn twice (both times in France) in 1987. :eek:

Recently Princess Maxima wore such a skirt, and not to good effect. If these two beautiful princesses can't pull off this fashion, then there is no hope for us mere mortals to be able to do so either.:D

This is just awful....:eek: To me it has no "balloon" effect, it's just terribly wrinkled and bouncy looking in a bad way. :cool:

soCal girl said:
This is just awful....:eek: To me it has no "balloon" effect, it's just terribly wrinkled and bouncy looking in a bad way. :cool:

It looks like the wind has caught it & its kind of billowing it in & up. It also looks uncomfortable.

All these photos are awful :eek: but very funny :)

To make this more interesting here there are some pics:

Source: Cover

source: scanpix and interfoto, originally posted by mandy in the Martha Louise: her life in pictures thread

Please note the she-mullet ML used to wear :eek::D
good ol' 80's:D

Lady Jennifer said:
It looks like the wind has caught it & its kind of billowing it in & up. It also looks uncomfortable.
Yes they were uncomfortable, i still remember

crisiñaki said:
I totally agree with you! She really was beautiful (still is) and her personality just made her better looking like it happens with Maxima:)
exactly. it's the kind of beauty that tends to last luckily..:)

IMO everything coming from the eighties was a fashion disaster :p

true! makes me feel grateful that i grew up in the '90s ;) :D *starts hiding from those who grew up in the '80s* hee hee :)

crisiñaki said:
To make this more interesting here there are some pics:

Source: Cover
source: scanpix and interfoto, originally posted by mandy in the Martha Louise: her life in pictures thread

Please note the she-mullet ML used to wear :eek::D
good ol' 80's:D

ewww. I thought the mullet was only seen here in N. America! I didn't know it made its way across the pond & onto Royal Heads no less! :eek:

margotantoinette said:
Normally I love Princess Diana, but the 80s were not kind to her at all...
Photos from Getty

from post # 3 above:
On the photo 1 she looks like a lawyer (in the USA lawyer's dress style) on her way to court. Very elegant and serious outfit.
On photo 4 she looks terrible, I can almost hear Barry Manilow's Copa Cabana song in the background.
On photo 5, she looks like a discarded doll model for a Franklin Mint series on kitchen curtains used for Couture. Maybe the little known Gone with the Wind Scarlett O'Hara's curtains-coverted-to-outfits series :p

I'm glad Diana got over all that and became a Glamazon, I found some funny definitions of Glamazon below that could easily apply (except on the height) to Diana, Caroline, Rania and Lalla Salma, and Angelina Jolie:

glamazon - When beauty and brawn collide, a statuesque enchantress who is once, twice, three times a lady -- three times the height, three times the Chanel makeup, three times the Versace.

Glamazon Blend of glamour and Amazon The glamour of amazons, Greeks heroes, etc. (as depicted in recent movies such as "Troy"

A Physically Imposing Woman of inordinate shape and beauty, a "Glamorous Amazon" who stuns men with her overwhelming pulchritude.

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
ewww. I thought the mullet was only seen here in N. America! I didn't know it made its way across the pond & onto Royal Heads no less! :eek:
I wasn't too sure of what a mullet was, so I did some research on google and now I can assure you: it definitely made its way across the pond. I had several classmates back then with a mullet, girls and boys. (It's sooooooo ugly! :eek: )

Toledo said:
On the photo 1 she looks like a lawyer (in the USA lawyer's dress style) on her way to court. Very elegant and serious outfit.

I'm glad Diana got over all that and became a Glamazon

Photo 1 isn't so bad- its the shoulder pads! I have such issues with shoulder pads I refuse to wear them to this day (even the little ones- they are gone!). Diana looks stylish & it looks like an outfit that could be worn in any decade.

Lady Jennifer said:

Lady Jennifer's quote just made me laugh, :D

Last edited:
princess olga said:
Thanks for these pictures Maxie!
Off topic, but these pictures do prove what a beautiful woman she was (and is really). The pictures above must have been taken in the eighties of course, which means she was already 40-plus years old. People don't seem to typically appreciate how pretty Beatrix was.

Well, Andy Warholl certainly agreed with you. He made portraits of some Queens and he said that beatrix was the prettiest by far ;)
But she was certainly beautiful, especially in the early days of her marriage. And still I think she has this unique charisma...

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
The Beatrixkapsel is an entity of its own!:D:D

Is like a left over from the 1950's and 60's, much like TV dinner and TVs with dials. I think she and Fabiola keep it through out the decades because it's really a Biosphere, probably has it's own gravity too. Over here a variation of it is sometimes nickamed the Ann Landers' hairdo or Helmet Hairdo because it looks like a helmet. Is not helmet hair, that's the flat hair after you remove a real motorcycle helmet.

Forum Ladies, get your rollers ready, here are the horror guides if you want to copy that style at home this weekend: The 50's hairstyles and the 60's big hair era

Last edited:
kwanfan said:
Source:Getty Images
Princess Astrid had some awful outfits in the 80s
oh my god! Is it possible :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
What was it with the 80s & all the bows- or the "bow-ties" that women wore? Like in the picture we see of Princess Astrid.

Lady Jennifer said:
What was it with the 80s & all the bows- or the "bow-ties" that women wore? Like in the picture we see of Princess Astrid.

Seems like a decade where Mabel would have felt at home... :p

Marengo said:
Well, Andy Warholl certainly agreed with you. He made portraits of some Queens and he said that beatrix was the prettiest by far ;)
But she was certainly beautiful, especially in the early days of her marriage. And still I think she has this unique charisma...

Yes, now you mention it, I remember that! he did all the queens (I believe at the time there were 4 women in the world who were queens in their own right, Margarethe, Elizabeth, Beatrix, and one queen in Africa whose country I'm ashamed I can't recall). And yes I remember the tv news bulletin in which they showed footage of Warhol raving about Beatrix's beauty! Good thing though she never became another Edie Sedgwick ;)

Lady Jennifer said:
How about what Princess Astrid wore to her wedding...def. the 80s
Taken from the Old, New, Royal, and Blue... thread
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/154166-post56.html

good lord those sleeves are scarier than the ones Beatrix always wore. Oh the 80s always good for a laugh aren't they? (this of course coming from the girl who rocked the leggings and over-sized t-shirt for years as a child)

Back
Top Bottom