Spending of Royal Ladies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarahbellar

Serene Highness
City
Boston
Country
United States
Hi- I wasn't sure where to share this. My team and I put together tallies for 11 royal ladies spendings in 2017.

Royals Included:
Queen Rania, Queen Letizia, Crown Princess Mary, Princess Marie, Princess Charlene, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Madeleine, Princess Sofia, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Wessex.

http://ufonomore.com/blog/2018/1/1/2017-costs

To put these numbers together, we tracked new pieces all year long in a spreadsheet, kept track of new pieces that did not get identified, as well as custom pieces. I was hoping to hear feedback on this- not so much on the feedback of the royals spending- but the idea of charting this and the best way to do that.

DSkqL1SVMAA-Z89.jpg

Very informative and some very interesting results! Well done!

Needs to be drilled down and excludes custom clothing.

It also gives the value of clothing, not necessarily what was spent

So deep breathe first people.

Very informative (and interesting) information! Thank you!

I find that if we calculate "total amount/identified pieces", the highest average would go to:

1. Charlene
  2. Rania
  3. Kate
  4. Madeleine
  5. Sophie

Already now the media and most journalists write too much about the clothes of the royals, instead that they would be interested to write about the events where the clothes are worn. What was the cause of the event, what the royal did there, did she give a speech, why she was there, what kind of people she met. Why the royal is patron of some association etc? Almost always the headlines are about clothes, and one sentence about the event the royal attended. The people who are not interested in fashion probably don't read those articles at all and don't get the information about how the royal does her work.
These kind of statistics make it even easy to the media write about the clothes, and especially of the costs of the clothes. In many countries people criticize the money the royals spend to their clothes, and these kind of blogs and information make it even more easy to the media to make headlines of the costs of the outfits royals wear. And the royals get more negative press.
A list of every outfit with the information about the event it was worn could be a good addition to this, and give the media the possibility to write about that too - if they are interested. Nowadays there are many journalists, who don't do a lot of work themselves, but get their information about the royals from blogs and social media of the royal fans and people interested in royals. And write that straight to their articles.

Last edited:
Informative and Interesting, good job and thanks!:flowers:

A little suggestion, maybe you can also consider the type of engagement, it's not needed to be very detailed, just separates the events that require evening gowns (white/black tie event) and daytime outfits (normal engagement).

Already now the media and most journalists write too much about the clothes of the royals, instead that they would be interested to write about the events where the clothes are worn. What was the cause of the event, what the royal did there, did she give a speech, why she was there, what kind of people she met. Why the royal is patron of some association etc? Almost always the headlines are about clothes, and one sentence about the event the royal attended. The people who are not interested in fashion probably don't read those articles at all and don't get the information about how the royal does her work.
These kind of statistics make it even easy to the media write about the clothes, and especially of the costs of the clothes. In many countries people criticize the money the royals spend to their clothes, and these kind of blogs and information make it even more easy to the media to make headlines of the costs of the outfits royals wear. And the royals get more negative press.
A list of every outfit with the information about the event it was worn could be a good addition to this, and give the media the possibility to write about that too - if they are interested. Nowadays there are many journalists, who don't do a lot of work themselves, but get their information about the royals from blogs and social media of the royal fans and people interested in royals. And write that straight to their articles.

If readers want to know these things, and give "royal spending" articles a lot of clicks, then that's that. Unless it's a very senior royal, no one cares about the good causes and charities.

If readers want to know these things, and give "royal spending" articles a lot of clicks, then that's that. Unless it's a very senior royal, no one cares about the good causes and charities.

Well, I care about the good causes and charities also of the younger royals. I'm interested why they choose the events they attend, what they do there, do they really meet "common people" and talk with them, how they work for the benefit of their country. I am not so interested in their clothes. And I'm sad to see how the reporting of the events concentrates more and more on the clothes of the royals.

Well, I care about the good causes and charities also of the younger royals. I'm interested why they choose the events they attend, what they do there, do they really meet "common people" and talk with them, how they work for the benefit of their country. I am not so interested in their clothes. And I'm sad to see how the reporting of the events concentrates more and more on the clothes of the royals.

While I agree that the engagements/charities deserve more spotlight, I think the information Sarahbellar and her team organized is not about the clothes (fashion) but the prices/spending, the ladies are using taxpayers' money after all.

LadyFinn, you have over 25,000 posts here on the Royal Forums. You may not represent the average person. I know I don't, with my interests in Royal things.

While I agree that the engagements/charities deserve more spotlight, I think the information Sarahbellar and her team organized is not about the clothes (fashion) but the prices/spending, the ladies are using taxpayers' money after all.

Depends on which royals you mean. The main focus of many of these critics are on UK royals. Tax payers don't fund their wardrobe. The sovereign's grant covers things like palace upkeep, employees, utilities, travel and such. Not their clothing allowance.

Unfortunately the press is not in the least bit interested in how much money is spent, rather in how much aggro they can stir up with their tale of spendthrift activities.

Who paid for something, when it was purchased etc. is not important, only that they can put a price tag on something. It may be a gift from ten years ago but they try to find out the price and it will be today's equivalent, not the actual amount spent. And the media price machine can be thousands of dollars out but who cares.

In the UK they work hard to give the impression that every dollar spent comes straight out of the people's pocket and wallow in the righteous anger that is just as likely to be their very next article.

Interesting that royals with the biggest budgets like Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom or the Duchess of Cornwall do not feature at all. The whole list is speculation from A to Z, and from Z to A.

If Rania indeed spends more together than the rest of the royal ladies, which is very doubtful, then this is the best advert for an end to the monarchy in one of the world's poorest nations.

Last edited:

Well, you are clearly a supporter of days gone by - as is evident in all your posts. Sorry for you, but that's the way things are in today's royal world.

Interesting that royals with the biggest budgets like Queen Máxima of the Netherlands, Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom or the Duchess of Cornwall do not feature at all. The whole list is speculation from A to Z, and from Z to A.

If Rania indeed spends more together than the rest of the royal ladies, which is very doubtful, then this is the best advert for an end to the monarchy in one of the world's poorest nations.

Correct, first thing I thought was, where is Maxima? And where is Kate?
Regarding Rania, she certainly LOOKS like one of the biggest spenders but who knows what she actually pays for her clothes vs getting gifts/discounts from designers. Same goes for all other royal ladies.

:previous: Exactly.
Much of it may have been bought of even donated at favorable prices.

Apart from that there is also the political and economic situation to factor in in regards to the public.

In some countries the economy is booming and before that there was an incentive by some government urging people to spend, thereby making the wheels turn again. And that combined with some RF's having a tradition for more splendor that could be a factor in a higher-spending.

In other countries the financial crisis isn't over yet, so a lower spending and a more low-key appearance is advocated there.

And there are monarchies where there are political turmoil of the popularity of the monarchy is relatively low, in those countries it might also be advisable to keep low spending wise.

And there are countries that have a booming fashion sector, where the RF is used to promote products and to actively help in the export and promotion of that country.

- So just looking at the spending, whether they are low or high, is but one factor. We also have to look at the background picture.

Yes, exactly and Rania is a good example. Jordan being one of the countries dealing with poverty etc but it got a lot on the (celebrity) awareness map through Rania and her looks.

Bravo LadyFinn!!!
Agree 1000%

The best example was the coverage of the New Year Levée in Copenhagen by the Daily Mail:
picture of Mary
picture of Mary
picture of Mary
picture of Mary
picture of Mary
picture of Mary
and
picture of Mary

Nothing about the Queen, about the other royals and attendees, about the beautiful colour locale, the splendid ceremonial, nothing. Just the red dress, the red dress, the red dress, the red dress...

:bang:

If you notice, my blogs always focus on the work of the royals- the articles I write, I always try to have more of an emphasis on the work that they are doing than the clothes they wore. I approach blogging as using fashion as a way to educate people about the work they do. People are inevitably going to be curious about what they are wearing and the royals are aware of this. Victoria choose to wear Swedish Designers to highlight them because she knows that will be looked at. Both Madeleine and Victoria have partaken in events of Stockholm Fashion Week.

For this article, we did not focus on the work of the royal ladies- just the costs because around this time of the year we often see many claims that "So-and-so spent so much money" or "she spends the most" but there are not any facts to back up their claims. We wanted to provide the facts so that if people were to make these kinds of statements, there were facts that we could point them to that would either back up or contradict their statements.

There was a nice article written on Royal Central about Fashion Bloggers a few weeks ago.
Opinion: In defence of royal fashion finders – Royal Central

Well, you are clearly a supporter of days gone by - as is evident in all your posts. Sorry for you, but that's the way things are in today's royal world.

Sorry for myself too, because I am also nostalgic for the substance over style days....the days gone by.

Now anyone who dresses well is basically "Royal material".:ermm:

I appreciate a beautiful, stylish Royal as much as the next one, but particularly if they are not spending taxpayer $$(Charlene of Monaco) and are doing other valuable work as well(also Charlene).

But when clothes and looks become reported as if it's the princess's raison d'etre then it's obscene imo.

Last edited:
We wanted to provide the facts so that if people were to make these kinds of statements, there were facts that we could point them to that would either back up or contradict their statements.
l

The retail prizes of the items bought by the ladies? We really don't know how much (or little) they pay for their clothes.

The only way you would have facts is, if you had access to the receipts.

Dec et Pair and Duke I agree. Most media personnel find it necessary to make sure they comment on price of clothes, cars, homes, etc., of every human they are writing about whether royal, entertainer, politician or even the common man. Most of the time this pricing has absolutely nothing to do with the actual event. Even criminal events have been known to publish the price of homes and clothes of killers or rapists! Plus then most reading critique the clothes or possessions. It seems to me that the world in general has developed a fetish into knowing the value of things rather than the value of the person. Seem to covet other's material things. That being said, I truly appreciate the trouble and work that went into gathering the post on the spending of royal ladies. You did a nice job with something that interested you and I thank you for sharing. Not many would have gone to so much trouble especially knowing the fault that would be found. I personally feel that the royals that probably spend the most on their wardrobe is Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Maxima and Duchess of Cornwall who all have personal allowances [one way or another] so they can spend anyway they desire. That is what an allowance is, personal money same as a paycheck for services rendered. Once again Sarahbellar, thank you and your team for your hard and time consuming job.

The retail prizes of the items bought by the ladies? We really don't know how much (or little) they pay for their clothes.

The only way you would have facts is, if you had access to the receipts.

Yes- that is true- but we tried. We offered statistics on the full prices of clothing in order to provide an objective, unbiased account of what their clothing costed. We addressed the issue of why we went for the full prices and not the sale prices here in this infograph that we made after there were discussions about Queen Letizia's numbers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSuxu7JU8AAOn-f.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:
It is pure speculation. Queen Máxima buys dresses from Natan, Jan Taminuau, Claes Iversen, Mattijs Berge, Tom Ford, Etro, Benito Fernández, Valentino and a whole fleet of couturiers more. She has gloves in all colours of the rainbow. Her atticks are crammed with hats, mostly by Fabienne Delvigne. She has been seen with all sorts of footwear, from Louboutins to sandals. The purses vary from Chanel to Hermès. Not to mention the scarfs, the stoles, the pashminas, etc. And what about her jewels?

No one can ever add a prize tag to it because no one knows the prize which is paid. By the way: Queen Máxima loans nothing and is also not given things for free. It is seen as "undesireable" when the royals are given favours because it creates a "dependence relationship to thirds". The Household will insist a that an invoice is sent to the Thesauriër des Konings (the King's Treasurer) to register it correctly, also because of the accountability of the expenses of the Royal House.

I am sure the same counts for more Royal Houses: "I beg your pardon Sir, Her Majesty The Queen of Sweden is NO advertorial for a fashion label. This is the Royal House of Sweden, not the red carpet in Hollywood".

;-)

Last edited:
Well while I hate the DM et al for their photos with price tags, posters such as Lady Finn balance this by noting when and where items were previously worn and I find myself nodding and reading about the occassions that rated an outing.

I think we often forget that we expect our Royals to represent us on the international stage. We do not appreciate having their attire found wanting. They need to do us proud. It's like the Nobel ceremonies in Sweden, the recipients are deemed worthy of being publicly feted and much as it annoys me we would not even see their faces were it not for partnering them with a member of the SRF walking down that magnificent staircase and sitting together at the banquets.

It is known that Queen Maxima has double dresses , shoes etc than Queen Mathilde.

Sorry for myself too, because I am also nostalgic for the substance over style days....the days gone by.

Now anyone who dresses well is basically "Royal material".:ermm:

I appreciate a beautiful, stylish Royal as much as the next one, but particularly if they are not spending taxpayer $$(Charlene of Monaco) and are doing other valuable work as well(also Charlene).

But when clothes and looks become reported as if it's the princess's raison d'etre then it's obscene imo.

You also fall into that category, yes. Although a little less rigid (or so it seems) than the poster I replied to.

I'm always surprised at the notion that we should be taken aback by the amount spent by royals on different things. We know they're rich. Why should they pretend to be anything else?

It is known that Queen Maxima has double dresses , shoes etc than Queen Mathilde.

I am not sure if that is true. Queen Máxima and Queen Mathilde both regularly are seen in repeated outfits. And both frequently appear in new outfits, new gala gowns, etc. I think Queen Máxima has more accessoires like hats, purses, gloves, stoles, pashminas, belts, shoes, etc. Queen Mathilde and Queen Máxima will have more or less the same garderobe, they more or less have a similar frequency in public appearances.

Back
Top Bottom