Royals' hair dyeing and wigs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think almost all royal ladies do! but I've always wondered about PMary's hair, I don't think she does, she has a beautiful natural colour, sometimes it looks light brown and some other times dark.
QRania I think prefers highlighs, light brown and sometimes blond.

I dont know about any of today's royals but Queen Elizabeth I wore a wig.

amina1 said:
I think almost all royal ladies do! but I've always wondered about PMary's hair, I don't think she does, she has a beautiful natural colour, sometimes it looks light brown and some other times dark.
QRania I think prefers highlighs, light brown and sometimes blond.
I think even Mary colors her hair, but in case she does, it is particularly well done, with a gorgeous auburn color with a bit of red in it. Could be natural though I doubt it.

The only crown princess that I think has her own natural hair color might be Victoria of Sweden.

The rest of the lot, from Maxima, Mette Marit, Letizia, Mathilde, (probably) Mary, Countess of Wessex, Beatrix, Mabel, Laurentien, Madeleine and Silvia of Sweden, queen Sonja and her daughter MarthaLouise.

Perhaps not Marilene of the Netherlands? She's always been such a natural! And Margarethe of Denmark doesn't clearly paint her hair.

I think that the men on the other hand, do not color theirs.

princess olga said:
I think that the men on the other hand, do not color theirs.

I dunno...sometimes I wonder about Frederik :D I've seen pictures of him with grey hair (not a lot, but an amount that makes it visible) and then I've seen pictures one or two months later where his hair is all the same colour!

Queen Beatrix' bulletproof hairdo

The hairdo of Queen Beatrix looks complicated but is not. According to a Dutch hairdresser, base for the Queen's hairdo is half-long hair, a simple Carmen set (curlers) and lots of hairspray.

The hairspray is an American brand and is especially ordered by the palace.

The Queen's hairdo once was designed in 1964 or 1965 by the famous coiffeur Alexandre de Paris. Since then the Queen has never changed her hairdo.

Here you see how a Dutch hairdresser tries to copy the Queen's hairdo.

:flowers:

Australian said:
I dont know about any of today's royals but Queen Elizabeth I wore a wig.

Many of them, in fact! :lol:

Crown Princess Mary doesn't dye her hair. She has never had roots or obvious highlights, or any of those typical signs. Judging by this, and by looking at her sisters' hair, it's pretty certain that Mary does not dye her hair- she just doesn't need to.

On the other hand, I'm pretty certain that Queen Sonja dyes her hair. I also suspect that Queen Paola and Queen Silvia dye theirs.

What about Mette-Marit? I'm pretty sure she's naturally blonde, but sometimes it seems that she has dark roots.

acdc1 said:
What about Mette-Marit? I'm pretty sure she's naturally blonde, but sometimes it seems that she has dark roots.

roots say it all :flowers:

Princess Margaret wore a hair piece for her wedding.

The hairdo of Queen Beatrix looks complicated but is not. According to a Dutch hairdresser, base for the Queen's hairdo is half-long hair, a simple Carmen set (curlers) and lots of hairspray.

Same as the hairdo of QE2. That's simply carmens set in a different way.

Does Maxima dye her hair? I thought it was natural because most of her pictures when young she has a dirty blonde look.?

I think that crown princess Mary dye´s her hair, because sometimes, not always, when she is at the sun we can see red ton's on her hair.
I'm brunette and when i dye my hair, with some dark ton's to hide the withe's, usually red refletions, it has the same effect thas mary's hair has.

Kelly said:
Does Maxima dye her hair? I thought it was natural because most of her pictures when young she has a dirty blonde look.?

The Princess' natural colour is brown.

Here you see pictures of the Princess with brown hair:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Youth picture

So the Princess indeed is a lady who dyes her hair.

Last edited:
LadyK said:
Crown Princess Mary doesn't dye her hair. She has never had roots or obvious highlights, or any of those typical signs. Judging by this, and by looking at her sisters' hair, it's pretty certain that Mary does not dye her hair- she just doesn't need to.

To dye your hair doesn't always necessarily mean having highlights, Lady K.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I do believe Mary has dyed her hair in the past, and perhaps still does. Whether it's her whole head or simple lowlights, Mary's hair color has changed since her first day's in Denmark as well as becoming Crown Princess.

During the first year of her marriage her hair had a red tint to it. Then with Prince Christian her has color changed to a very dark brown. Recently, it looks like she has added some chocolate lowlights to her hair.

There are several photos that (may or may not depending on you) confirming my statements. To view early photos of Mary before her marriage to Frederik and the first year as Crown Princess, please click here , here, here, and here

It's not a big deal if a royal dyes their hair, everyone does it.

:flowers:

LadyK said:

On the other hand, I'm pretty certain that Queen Sonja dyes her hair. I also suspect that Queen Paola and Queen Silvia dye theirs.

And also Queen Sofia. At then end of 80's beginning of the 90's there where lots of photos where you could see a few grey hairs, today you don't.

acdc1 said:

She is not blond, I saw many pics of her, when she was younger, with dark hair. Her roots also are dark.

I still think that Mary's hair is natural. The problem with brown hair is that, more than any other color, is highly affected by light. When you are in a specific light, your hair might appear differently. For example, it is very common for brunettes to have red tints in certain types of sunlight. In deeper, softer light, it seems darker.

And yes, I know it's not a big deal to dye your hair- I've even done it before!

The obvious hair dyers:
Letizia of Spain (highlights)
Maxima of the Netherlands
Mette-Marit of Norway
Madeleine of Sweden
Sonja of Norway

Pretty sure they do:
Silvia of Sweden (almost 99% on this one, but does anyone have any proof?)
Sofia of Spain
Cristina of Spain (highlights, at least)
Paola of Belgium
Mathilde of Belgium
Zara Philips

Not Sure:
Rania of Jordan (highlights?)
Beatrix of the Netherlands ?
Martha-Louise of Norway

All of us start off a great shade and then darken as we get older. I take my daughter with me if I have to go to a new hair dresser and say that's my color! Not to mention, some of us are sprouting grey hairs here and there (which always seem to stand at attention for some reason). I think there is nothing wrong with looking your best, or, for that matter, a bit of change for variety!

Sorry, guys, my mom was a hairdresser, and I have been trained to spot dyed, bleached, and altered hair of all types.

CP Mary IS indeed dyeing her hair. Very subtle, but it has a rich color to it that just wasn't there before. She used to be a very dull brunette, but something has been added to the mix.

Not a bad thing...very attractive, but it's there!:D

Kelly said:

Yes i do think so.

She was a 'light brown' as teenager and then switched to blonde through highlights... :rolleyes:

Here we can see some differences:

1999:

http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/ditjaar/hetjaar1999/fotos/jaar99.09.sep.110.111.maxima.jpg

Nieuwsselectie: Binnenland

Before getting married to W-A (with her hair up, you can see her roots are not so blonde)

http://troonopvolgers.web-log.nl/troonopvolgers/images/maxima.jpg

www.acaneb.org.ar/novedades/images/vl10.jpg

Later:

http://www.20minutos.es/data/img/2005/11/29/285678.jpg

The changes weren't blunt, and the highlights are very well done. Still, it is technically 'dyeing', isn't it?

Letizia does highlights to her hair, cristina dye's her hair..blonde, to support her color, Mette-marit too, as Maxima!

i dont like madeleine of swedens hair i mean its a pretty colour but i think it washes her out alot.

LadyK said:
I still think that Mary's hair is natural. The problem with brown hair is that, more than any other color, is highly affected by light. When you are in a specific light, your hair might appear differently. For example, it is very common for brunettes to have red tints in certain types of sunlight. In deeper, softer light, it seems darker.

And yes, I know it's not a big deal to dye your hair- I've even done it before!

The obvious hair dyers:
Letizia of Spain (highlights)
Maxima of the Netherlands
Mette-Marit of Norway
Madeleine of Sweden
Sonja of Norway

Pretty sure they do:
Sofia of Spain
Cristina of Spain (highlights, at least)
Paola of Belgium
Mathilde of Belgium
Zara Philips

Princess Anne can probably added to the pretty sure list.

LadyK said:
IPretty sure they do:
It must be dyed; she is 60 - I don't know any women in their 60s with brown hair without a speck of grey in it. Besides, queen Silvia is well-known for using plastic surgery (I have seen it discussed here a couple of times). I don't think that a person who opts for plastic surgery does not dye her grey hair as well.

I concede on the Mary issue- but I think it's pretty well done!

I agree- Princess Anne probably dyes her hair. I also expect the Countess of Wessex and the Duchess of Cornwall do too.

I've always thought that Queen Beatrix wore a wig. Maybe because her hair just never seems out of place. Now I know its hairspray.

I think all the royal ladies, with the exception of some of the oplder ladies dye their hair.

Mary for example has very dark hair, but she definitely messes around with the tints and colours she uses. Similarly, I think Lalla Salma uses products on her hair, or possibly just henna, as sometimes it appears a very vibrant and red and other times much duller.

Back
Top Bottom