Royal Fashion Icons

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

polop

Nobility
City
Chicago
Country
United States
Who's your favorite fashion icon?Who do you think dresses the best and others who just need plain help?:)

I think Princess Letizia and Queen Rania generally speaking look the best overall. I think with both women their clothes really reflect their own personalities. Letizia's often criticised for wearing suits alot, but to me that just reflects her hardworking nature. Moreover, all of her suits are cut so exquisitely I would kill for some of them! As for Rania she rarely makes a mistake and all of her gala/evening outfits are jst stunning. I like the way even when she's wearing a long evening gown she manages to merge a sort of Middle Eastern twist to her outfit. Out of the older Royal ladies I think Queen Sofia is incredibly dignified and Queen Silvia often wears some lovely gala dresses,although I'm not too keen on some of her floral prints. Lalla Meryem and Lalla Hasna always look good as well, whether they're in a traditional caftan or a nice suit.

Princess Haya could do with help, she's incredibly pretty but often wears clothing that doesn't suit her or isn't flattering. Princess Martha-Louise of Norway also wears clothes that are sometimes a bit too loud. I think Princess Mary should also try and develop her style more as opposed to just wearing the latest designer outfit.

Having said that I don't think any of the women would truly have a fashion icon's status.

Last edited:
I like Lalla Meryem-best dressed in native dress
Queen Sofia-very elegant and stunning
Princess Rosario of Bulgaria-great casual style and eveningwear

Princess Anne could look a little less matronly
Princess Kalina of Bulgaria could use some polishing

hmm..I dont really think of royals as fashion icons, aside from Princess Diana ofcourse. But she was as exception. No royal today has that sort of international profile.
I also dont think that dressing well makes a woman a fashion icon. Like some of the newer crown princesses, for example, they dress well and have great style but to apply the word "icon" to them is far fetched. Outside of their countries and to a larger degree in Europe in general, no one knows about them (we, royal watchers, are ofcourse the exception)
So as far as Im concerned, Princess Diana and Audrey Hepburn are the ultimate fashion icons. Both of these women are dead but continue to have an impact on the international fashion industry. Almost all the top designers today mention Audrey Hepburn as an inspiration at one point or another in their career. That, to me, is an icon.
Now if we're talking about royals, I was thinking of Queen Rania. While I still dont think she's a fashion icon, I think she comes the closest. She does have a high profile outside of her own country and region, and she has been praised by top designers for her immense sense of style (Armani called her the most alluring woman in the world)
To a lesser degree, Queen Noor's lovely caftans have been quite an inspiration for many designers lately. She has been wearing them almost exclusively for formal events for the past couple of years whether she's in Jordan, or the US, or Europe, anywhere in the world basically. First I saw a caftan that was exactly the style Queen Noor wears on a very high profile fashion show. And now we see similar tops and short dresses making appearances all over the place.

ps...I see some people have mentioned royals. I guess we're talking strictly about royal "fashion icons" and not the truly internatonal ones.

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
She does have a high profile outside of her own country and region, and she has been praised by top designers for her immense sense of style (Armani called her the most alluring woman in the world).
I agree Rania has great style, best of the royals IMO, but I never belive anything comming from the designers that dress them, they just look after themselves:D .

I also agree that no royal deserves to be called a fashion icon, most of the time they dress safe and after the current fashion trends, they follow them, dont make them. Also as Humera says they are not very well known outside the Pink Press (except in their own coutries ofcourse). Beeing elegant is not the same as beeing a fashion icon, nor do I consider it the royals job to be a fashion icon. I would always prefer a hard working, modest person over a person that is just fashionable as royal

On a personal note I think the word stunning is overused when it comes to royals, stunning to me means something out of the ordinarly beautiful and elegant and you just dont see it very often with royals, nice yes, elegant yes, but very rarely stunning, again that is just my oppinion.

Fashion icons to me are Audrey Heppurn and Jackie Kennedy, you can still see their influence on fashion. As for people alive today I think Cate Blanchet is extremly beautiful, elegant, poised and dresses beautifully and and she has the fame, but I dont think she influences fashion in any big way, and therfore not a fashion icon.

As for Royals, besides Rania, I think all the Spanish royals can look great when they really pull out all the stops for galas and parties etc, and I like how they put some spanish flair into their clothes just like Rania put some arab/middle eastern influence in to some of her gowns. But they are not fashion icons.

Last edited:
As far as Royals go my icon is Crown Princess Mary. Diana was when I was little, but b/c she fit more into the whole royalty fairytale princess thing.

As far as royals that need help I would say Mette-Marit and Sophie. Both wear clothes that are not cut right or very flattering to them.

For famous fashion icons I like Reese Witherspoon, Marcia Cross, Angelina Jolie, tv character Renee Palmer, Carolyn Besette Kennedy, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I used to like Gwyeneth Paltrow but lately she isn't as stylish anymore.

I say...Princess Mary.... obviously...there hasn't been a lot of them

Queen Rania is my fashion icon . But I also like the way Princess Madeleine is dressed . It's far more sexy but also beautiful, so I find it great . Crown Princess Mary has a fairly good style but she is much less elegant and graceful than Rania, so the result is not as good . And her style makes her also look much older for a 33 years old . But it's ok .:)

I love Princess Madeleine fashion sense!Diana was also one of my favorites.

Diana without a doubt...next is queen rania.

Diana and Grace for the icons of the past :( . As for today, I would say Rania, Caroline, and Silvia. I think Zara Phillips is absolutely stunning but her fashion sense is pretty :eek: at this point. Maybe as time goes by she will emerge as a stylish icon.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
hmm..I dont really think of royals as fashion icons, aside from Princess Diana ofcourse. But she was as exception. No royal today has that sort of international profile.
I also dont think that dressing well makes a woman a fashion icon. Like some of the newer crown princesses, for example, they dress well and have great style but to apply the word "icon" to them is far fetched. Outside of their countries and to a larger degree in Europe in general, no one knows about them (we, royal watchers, are ofcourse the exception)
So as far as Im concerned, Princess Diana and Audrey Hepburn are the ultimate fashion icons. Both of these women are dead but continue to have an impact on the international fashion industry. Almost all the top designers today mention Audrey Hepburn as an inspiration at one point or another in their career. That, to me, is an icon.
Now if we're talking about royals, I was thinking of Queen Rania. While I still dont think she's a fashion icon, I think she comes the closest. She does have a high profile outside of her own country and region, and she has been praised by top designers for her immense sense of style (Armani called her the most alluring woman in the world)
To a lesser degree, Queen Noor's lovely caftans have been quite an inspiration for many designers lately. She has been wearing them almost exclusively for formal events for the past couple of years whether she's in Jordan, or the US, or Europe, anywhere in the world basically. First I saw a caftan that was exactly the style Queen Noor wears on a very high profile fashion show. And now we see similar tops and short dresses making appearances all over the place.

ps...I see some people have mentioned royals. I guess we're talking strictly about royal "fashion icons" and not the truly internatonal ones.

I totally agree with your post. I also think that Princess Margaret in her hey day was a fashion icon. To me, she was the total embodiment of Dior's "new look" and really was one of the people who helped set how women dressed in the 50's and early 60's. Diana, of course, was a fashion icon, but today, there are no real royal fashion icons. I think Maxima has what it takes to be a fashion icon, but she and the other Crown Princesses don't have the world wide fame it takes to be a fashion icon. The only wife of a future king that has the international profile to be a "fashion icon" is Camilla and I don't think fashion is her thing. Rania is one of the most stylish women in the world in my opinion, but she still, to me, isn't at the point of being a fashion icon. I think Princess Caroline is another royal with fashion icon potential especially because of the way she sticks to a set style crafted for her by Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel.

Last edited:
My icons are Caroline of Monaco and Queen Rania . I also like Charlotte.

Mary dress nice most of the time. It's too early to call her an icon. I must have missed the cover story in fashion mag touting Mary's look.

i think the ones who deserve the title "fashion icon" are audrey hepburn, princess diana, princess grace jacky kennedy onassis... nowadays nicole kidman (i think she's cemented that reputation).
the present crown princesses like mary, maxima have great fashion sense but its too early to call them fashion icons...
i'd also love to track down charlotte casiraghi's path to being an icon in the future. she's the one with the most potential among her generation..

Royal fashion icon for me is Queen Victoria of England.....An article has said that Queen Victoria is the one who introduce a white wedding gown by wore it in her wedding, before this event a colourful wedding gown was very dominant in Europe (sorry I don't remember the source). Then a white wedding gown becomes very popular in Europe (and even crossing the continent) even until this day. What a great and verry influenced fashion icon.....for nowadays I'm still looking the real fashion icon like her. Diana once was a fashion icon..I still remember in era 80's how many woman in the world get crazy about her hair style and try to immitate it no matter it will look good on them or not:p :D.

Royals fashion icon: Diana, Rania, Maxima, Grace,Queen Sofia, Matilde of Belgium
Stars fashion icon:Audrey Hepburn, Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Claudia Schiffer.

Since this is a board about royalty, I'll stick to royal fashion icons. For the past, I'd go with Princess Grace of Monaco. For current fashion, I'd go with Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark and Letizia, the Princess of Asturias.

Letizia of Spain and Mary of Denmark

i adore Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Princess Alexandra of Denmark, and sometimes Princess Mette-Marit's fashion sense...
as for the new royals... i adore Princess Letizia's fashion style.
they're the fashion icons for today's world.

as for the slightly older generations, i love Queen Rania's fashion style.. after Diana, she's definitely an icon.

I like P. Caroline style,she´s always perfect.

Queen Rania:wub: ...

She can wear a sack and look chic ...

Mary and Rania
Two very elegent ladies!!! always keeping it fresh.

Mary's elegant dresses, Máxima's coats, Mette-Marit's shoes and Märtha's hair!
:flowers:

For the more 'professional' look I would choose Letizia
For the 'chic' look I would choose Mary (most of the time)!
The older royal ladies I would say Queen Sofia and Queen Silvia :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom