The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite gown of Princess Diana?
A) Blue chiffon gown 18 7.50%
B) Black velvet gown 20 8.33%
C) Red evening dress 23 9.58%
D) Black evening gown 11 4.58%
E) Purple evening gown 9 3.75%
F) Black and red dress 6 2.50%
G) The Elvis dress 28 11.67%
H) Red evening gown 6 2.50%
I) White Halter dress 9 3.75%
J) Burgundy evening dress 6 2.50%
K) Pale blue chiffon dress 26 10.83%
L) Red and black gown 9 3.75%
M) Blue evening gown 12 5.00%
N) Black long dress 7 2.92%
O) Red and purple gown 11 4.58%
P) Gold lame evening gown 7 2.92%
Q) Blue silk gown 15 6.25%
R) Red evening gown 9 3.75%
Other (please specify) 8 3.33%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM

I like the red and black gown that Diana wore with 1 red and 1 black evening glove with it. i think the colors set each other of excellently. :)

Besides the red and black gown (L) I also like the one she wore to the White House with the Mr. and Mrs. Reagan and one that isn't listed and is prettier than several of the gowns on there(my opinion) which she wore in 1987(I think) on a visit to Spain and the Spanish Royal Family. Does anybody know of the gown I am talking about?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Had to go for the Elvis dress- love the pearls, and the elegance, combined with Diana's sense of fun and humor. And it is an iconic Diana gown. Whenever I picture Diana, she is in that gown.
But it was a tough choice because I also love Di in these gowns in no order:
D- Old Hollywood glamor with regal flair
C- The color, stunning on her, she wore it a lot
I- The fabric, stunning on her
O- Love the color combo
Q- Chic, sleek, modern, elegant, great color
F- Classy and elegant without being over the top

Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Aristocracy

My personal favourite is the earliest one she wore out of those presented to vote upon: The Bellville-Sassoon blue chiffon, off the shoulder with blue satin ribbons and a hand-painted full skirt. David Sassoon once said in an interview that children actually wrote to him by the mail bag (!) - I imagine because she looked the epitome of a fairy-tale princess in that gown.

I must add; it looked best the first time she wore it with the pearl choker and matching bracelet. It was November of 1982 and the night before BP announced her pregnancy with William, so perhaps that also accounts for the "glow" about her during this particular airing of the gown.

One gown not mentioned was the long white chiffon, also by Bellville-Sassoon that she wore earlier that same day to the State Opening of Parliament. She looked breathtaking, again with the pearl choker and matching bracelet. I believe this was the first time she publicly wore the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara in public.

I know this is not the jewellery thread, but perhaps if anyone knows from whom Diana borrowed that choker, I would be much obliged for the information. (It was borrowed during the Autumn of '81, according to Suzy Menkes in her book on Royal Jewellery.) Any info on this choker at all would be most welcome. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Heir Apparent

What about the Victor Eelstein cream and gold one she wore in France, and to the Wintergarden in New York? I loved that one for it's regal elegance! That to me is the definition of princess ( besides the Elvis one)
I can see why children would love the Sassoon dress, it is a fairy tale of a dress.
But for me, it is far too fussy.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
What about the Victor Eelstein cream and gold one she wore in France, and to the Wintergarden in New York? I loved that one for it's regal elegance! That to me is the definition of princess ( besides the Elvis one)
I can see why children would love the Sassoon dress, it is a fairy tale of a dress.
But for me, it is far too fussy.
I agree with you about the elegance, (and of course, I adored the Edelstein gown and the "Elvis" Walker creation - I think Edelstein made her some of her best formal gowns and wonder why she didn't use him more often...) However, at the young age of twenty, she was able to carry off the fairy-tale aspect of the Sassoon dress; she was newly-married, newly expecting, etc.

At that age sometimes, IMHO, a woman going for strict elegance or a sleek look can come off as dressing too old for her age. We're only young once, so why not enjoy the short time period when more fussy and fairy-tale dresses can be worn to great effect? Also, I think at the beginning of her marriage, Diana had bought into the "fairy-tale" analogy, in and of itself, and applied it to herself and Charles very PERSONALLY, as opposed to recognising it as tabloid fodder, so the gown also reflected her state of mind at the time. I think she was also at the stage of transitioning from girlhood to womanhood, as she herself pointed out about the time after her wedding, before she found her feet. I think the Sassoon dress is also perfect for that "transitional" period.

To be flat out honest, I don't think I could actually pick an "all time favourite" evening gown of Diana's. She wore such different styles at different times in her life and carried (almost) all of them off well. It's rather like trying to pick your favourite Beatles' tune! The scarlet Edelstein is another winner; there's the Stambolian cocktail dress; the Murray Arbeid cream lace and taffeta - oh, the list would never end!

It's much safer to pick her all-time worst gown and that would have to be the Dior by Galliano "slip-dress" she wore in New York City that looked like a negligee. At that point in her life, I'm surprised the Princess made such a huge mistake; you could even tell by her body language that she felt uncomfortable and unconfident wearing it. Tribute to Galliano or no - she would have been better off leaving it in the Carlyle and choosing something else!

Diana was certainly one of a kind, though, and I don't really look for the new Duchess of Cambridge to follow in her footsteps. She had a "cheekiness" about some of her apparel that just made her a delight to watch and sometimes emulate. However, I'm not one of the brigade looking for Kate to become "the new Diana"; they come from completely different backgrounds, have different builds and (I think) very different personalities. I think that probably belongs in a different thread so I'll end here before I start ranking all of Diana's gowns.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Heir Apparent

My favorites are everything exept,F H I J L P and R.The worst being P!

Everything else is stunning!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Royal Highness

Beautiful, elegance, noble Princess...