Royal Highness

CP Mary
CP Mette-Marit
Princess Marie
CP Marie-Chantal

always Princess Diana

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Heir Apparent

For me, elegance goes way beyond how one dresses or wears makeup or accessories.

With the help of a reputable stylist almost any woman can transform herself into an artifice of elegance, at least.

But true elegance goes beyond mere fashion...it's the manner in which you present yourself to the world...the way you speak, interact, sit, walk...and so many intangible other things.

Grace Kelly had it. Jacqueline Kennedy had it, and so did Audrey Hepburn.

My personal opinion is that few...very few-less than five-women in today's Royal world have what I would describe as true elegance.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

With the above post as a standard that elegance goes beyond clothes but how you act, I would say that at the top of my list of Modern Elegant Princesses would be Princess Mary of Denmark as well as Elizabeth II. But with that same description in mind I would definitely have to say that Diana doesn't fit the term elegance. She may have been known for her fashion, but her behavior is no where close to Jacqueline or Audrey.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

XeniaCasiraghi...I feel the opposite way. I think Mary of Denmark is attractive, but if you look at photos and video of her from before she became a princess there is no way she was born elegant...and she was/is very far from being in the category of Audrey or Jacqueline.

Everything that Mary is today was acquired through clothes and training...before her marriage she was very average and girl-next-door. Her engagement interview with Frederick reminded me of some of the young women you see at the beach or the shopping mall. Some of her pre-wedding photos don't even resemble her now in fact.

I have seen old photos and videos of young Lady Diana Spencer...and even if she wasn't elegant she had an innocent, aristocratic charm. There was something very special about her. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis met Diana during her 1985 visit to D.C. with Prince Charles, and Jackie reportedly told a friend that she thought Diana was "very elegant".

These things are only opinions of course, which are very subjective.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

The way Diana behaved and acted is what I feel don't make he elegant. I don't feel an elegant woman would throw herself down the stairs while pregnant or rip her husband & his family in public. Perhaps on the surface some could find her elegant, but looking deeper I find her anything but. I feel Princess Mary carries herself with elegance and doesn't appear to have to try hard to portray a regal personality. I don't know much about Mary the person, but I haven't heard of any bad behavior on her part.
I'm trying to think if anyone else in the BRF is worthy of the word except QEII.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Serena, Viscountess Linley-who is married to QEII's nephew David Linley- is probably the most naturally elegant woman in the BRF today.

She is always perfectly presented.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23
I think Serena, Viscountess Linley-who is married to QEII's nephew David Linley- is probably the most naturally elegant woman in the BRF today.

She is always perfectly presented.
I have to admit I agree. I think if Margaret was alive she would be proud. I assume she will one day be Countess of Snowdon and she fits that title perfectly.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The way Diana behaved and acted is what I feel don't make he elegant. I don't feel an elegant woman would throw herself down the stairs while pregnant or rip her husband & his family in public. Perhaps on the surface some could find her elegant, but looking deeper I find her anything but. I feel Princess Mary carries herself with elegance and doesn't appear to have to try hard to portray a regal personality. I don't know much about Mary the person, but I haven't heard of any bad behavior on her part.
I'm trying to think if anyone else in the BRF is worthy of the word except
QEII.
Unlike Mary, Diana had a husband who had a long time lover and she had, serious, image issues. Bad behavior, is not what Diana had, A rotten situation, partly of her making, in some ways, but she married into a lot of them. She was too immature to handle the situation, properly. She was, to the eye, extremely elegant.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS

Unlike Mary, Diana had a husband who had a long time lover and she had, serious, image issues. Bad behavior, is not what Diana had, A rotten situation, partly of her making, in some ways, but she married into a lot of them. She was too immature to handle the situation, properly. She was, to the eye, extremely elegant.
Very well said Countess.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems like you can't go anywhere without the old Charles & Diana story getting into the discussion.

For elegant princess I would suggest Alexandra of Kent, still stylish at 75.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Alexandra of Kent is a beauty, of that there can be no question. She is a very elegant lady.

Quote:
She was, to the eye, extremely elegant.
Agreed.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Alexandra is in a class by herself as far as style and elegance goes.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

i will say princess diana because i don't think i have ever seen her in any thing wacky
and she is a fashion icon
Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I most certainly agree with Princess Alexandra of Kent, in my head she's the image of elegance, something that she has inherited from her mother, Princess Marina.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

Elegance - Princess Grace, everything about her was elegant, her pose, the way she carried her head, the shoulders, just wonderfull.

For me, Victoria of Sweden is a naturally elegant woman, she seems so comforable in her own skin nowadays, it seems natural to me.

I cannot say that Mette Marit is elegant to me, but she has a natural grace that is deeper than elegance, it is not how she carries herself, it is an aura of calm and care.

Yeah, I know my english should be better :)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I most certainly agree with Princess Alexandra of Kent, in my head she's the image of elegance, something that she has inherited from her mother, Princess Marina.
Agreed. She is epitome of elegance.
I must also add the Duchess of Gloucester and Lady Sarah Chatto; both have always had impeccable taste and carry and air of effortless elegance.