The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Most talked about outfits worn by royals by the press

what are the most talked about outfits worn by royals by the media either beacuse they have loved them or criticised the choice

For Letizia two outfits really spring to mind that have divided the press and caused controversary
1 - the white Armani trouser suit - should she a worn a foreign designer? should she have worn trousers for her official engagement photocall?

2 - the stunning red dress at Mary's wedding - did she take away from Mary on her wedding day? Why did she choose to wear this on the wedding day rather than the concert as the designer Caprille had recommended?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Nobility

When I read the title of this thread, two sprung to mind...

1) The black dress that Princess Diana wore in 1995 the day before Charles admitted to committing adultery! Smart move, and in the papers the following day the media focused on her wardrobe instead of Charles' admission!!

2) Any outfit worn by the Duchess of York in the 1980s!!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichola View Post

1) The black dress that Princess Diana wore in 1995 the day before Charles admitted to committing adultery! Smart move, and in the papers the following day the media focused on her wardrobe instead of Charles' admission!!

(my bolding)

I was also thinking of a black dress but not the same ; I remember the one she wore on her first official engagement, when visiting Princess Grace :
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ette/big_1.jpg
Corbis: photography, rights, motion.

This gown made a total scandal because black isn't a colour ou should wear, except during grief and her bust was far too much exposed.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I remember the one she wore on her first official engagement, when visiting Princess Grace...This gown made a total scandal because black isn't a colour ou should wear, except during grief and her bust was far too much exposed.
Ah, I know which one you're referring to. I recall her saying later (I think it was in Andrew Morton's book??) that she felt really elegant at the time, but regretted wearing it later.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Why did she choose to wear this on the wedding day rather than the concert as the designer Caprille had recommended?
First, Letizia was going to wear the famous red dress at the concert, but she knew,at the last moment, that Mary was going to dress in red too, so she decided to change the election of the red dress and wear the other one.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarina View Post
First, Letizia was going to wear the famous red dress at the concert, but she knew,at the last moment, that Mary was going to dress in red too, so she decided to change the election of the red dress and wear the other one.
Smart move. While I think that Letizia looked absolutely fabulous that day (never as good since her marriage), she didn't eclipse the CP Mary.

On that day everyone seemed to be invested in the culmination of the "big Fairytale" . . . . The Wedding. I think Mary could have worn a white sack and still been the focal point.

Top marks to Letitzia, not only did she look great, she, along with a few others, made the whole wedding all the more memorable.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Yes the dress Diana wore in 1994 the day of Charles' interview is quite memorable. That dress showed her long sexy legs.

And I agree with you Nichola about all the dresses Fergie wore back in the 80s.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Serene Highness

Smile Glistening Seas

ohhhh i just heard the styles from milan are out. Wasn't there a thread where we could see all the designers lates creations on the site. i just cannot seem to find it. Diana and Fergies clothes were always delightful great taste in clothes.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Nobility

The red gown worn by Princess Madeleine during the Nobel Prize ceremony in 2002.

Nettavisen: News in English

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden had enough and removed the pictures of his daughter's pic in the low-cut red dress from a Swedish website.

more pics here: Princess Madeleine of Sweden at the Nobel Prize 2002
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Aristocracy

The black dress Princess Diana wore when she danced with John Travolta at The White House. All eyes were on her that night!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
How did she know what Mary was going to wear?
I thought nobody would know what the bride-to be would wear or the other guests unless you knew and asked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glistening Seas View Post
ohhhh i just heard the styles from milan are out. Wasn't there a thread where we could see all the designers lates creations on the site. i just cannot seem to find it. Diana and Fergies clothes were always delightful great taste in clothes.
On this site no. But a few members post links to the latest fashion in suggestions for Princess Mary, Queen Rania etc threads which are found in the Royal House of Fashion go back a few threads to locate them.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
... that other dress was mainly red as well - a red skirt with a fitted corsage including red in the pattern.

I agree that a lot of dresses that Diana wore became the center of attention - eg her chanel costume when travelling to France.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadThaiPrincess View Post
The black dress Princess Diana wore when she danced with John Travolta at The White House. All eyes were on her that night!
That's a memorable event ! I remember reading an interview of Travolta where he said how this dance had put him back on stage (article).

Because it matters...
Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The infamous "Up Yours" dress...I love it! I think she looked incredible in that dress!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Nobility

Just thought of another outfit...what about the fancy dress Nazi uniform that Prince Harry wore a couple of years ago? That outfit was certainly talked about in the press!!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Just thought of another outfit...what about the fancy dress Nazi uniform that Prince Harry wore a couple of years ago? That outfit was certainly talked about in the press!!
What a disaster ! I wonder if there has ever been something more embarrassing for the RF ?!

Because it matters...
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

There was the dress and um......make up that Princess Kalina of Bulgaria presented at the silver wedding anniversery of the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
There was the dress and um......make up that Princess Kalina of Bulgaria presented at the silver wedding anniversery of the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg.
OMG, THAT dress !!!
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Enjoy everyone, we don't see this everyday (fortunately ).

Because it matters...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my god! You have to give her some respect for her bravery though.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that the dress Diana wore dancing with Travolta has a place in this thread - I dont think that it will ever be forgotten. Nor will her wedding dress.

For CP Mary I would argue that her pink dress was much talked about, especially in the Australian/NZ mags, as it is the first time we saw her in a gala dress.

I think that both of the dresses worn by Letizia at the Danish wedding were talked about by the press.
(Concert ; Wedding)

In this post Elsa M. talks about imitations of Letizia'a most memerable dresses - including the dress she wore before her own wedding.