Most talked about outfits worn by royals by the press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessofEurope

Heir Apparent
City
Wiltshire
Country
United Kingdom
what are the most talked about outfits worn by royals by the media either beacuse they have loved them or criticised the choice

For Letizia two outfits really spring to mind that have divided the press and caused controversary
1 - the white Armani trouser suit - should she a worn a foreign designer? should she have worn trousers for her official engagement photocall?

2 - the stunning red dress at Mary's wedding - did she take away from Mary on her wedding day? Why did she choose to wear this on the wedding day rather than the concert as the designer Caprille had recommended?

When I read the title of this thread, two sprung to mind...

1) The black dress that Princess Diana wore in 1995 the day before Charles admitted to committing adultery! Smart move, and in the papers the following day the media focused on her wardrobe instead of Charles' admission!!

2) Any outfit worn by the Duchess of York in the 1980s!!:lol:

1) The black dress that Princess Diana wore in 1995 the day before Charles admitted to committing adultery! Smart move, and in the papers the following day the media focused on her wardrobe instead of Charles' admission!!

(my bolding)

I was also thinking of a black dress but not the same ; I remember the one she wore on her first official engagement, when visiting Princess Grace :
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/Kellinette/big_1.jpg
Corbis: photography, rights, motion.

This gown made a total scandal because black isn't a colour ou should wear, except during grief and her bust was far too much exposed.

Last edited:
I remember the one she wore on her first official engagement, when visiting Princess Grace...This gown made a total scandal because black isn't a colour ou should wear, except during grief and her bust was far too much exposed.

Ah, I know which one you're referring to. I recall her saying later (I think it was in Andrew Morton's book??) that she felt really elegant at the time, but regretted wearing it later.:ermm:

Why did she choose to wear this on the wedding day rather than the concert as the designer Caprille had recommended?

First, Letizia was going to wear the famous red dress at the concert, but she knew,at the last moment, that Mary was going to dress in red too, so she decided to change the election of the red dress and wear the other one.

First, Letizia was going to wear the famous red dress at the concert, but she knew,at the last moment, that Mary was going to dress in red too, so she decided to change the election of the red dress and wear the other one.
Smart move. While I think that Letizia looked absolutely fabulous that day (never as good since her marriage), she didn't eclipse the CP Mary.:cool:

On that day everyone seemed to be invested in the culmination of the "big Fairytale" . . . . The Wedding. I think Mary could have worn a white sack and still been the focal point.

Top marks to Letitzia, not only did she look great, she, along with a few others, made the whole wedding all the more memorable. :flowers:

Yes the dress Diana wore in 1994 the day of Charles' interview is quite memorable. That dress showed her long sexy legs.

And I agree with you Nichola about all the dresses Fergie wore back in the 80s.:lol:

Glistening Seas

:ohmy:ohhhh i just heard the styles from milan are out. Wasn't there a thread where we could see all the designers lates creations on the site. i just cannot seem to find it. Diana and Fergies clothes were always delightful great taste in clothes. :flowers:

The black dress Princess Diana wore when she danced with John Travolta at The White House. All eyes were on her that night!

How did she know what Mary was going to wear? :ermm:
I thought nobody would know what the bride-to be would wear or the other guests unless you knew and asked them.

:ohmy:ohhhh i just heard the styles from milan are out. Wasn't there a thread where we could see all the designers lates creations on the site. i just cannot seem to find it. Diana and Fergies clothes were always delightful great taste in clothes. :flowers:

On this site no. But a few members post links to the latest fashion in suggestions for Princess Mary, Queen Rania etc threads which are found in the Royal House of Fashion go back a few threads to locate them.

Last edited:

... that other dress was mainly red as well - a red skirt with a fitted corsage including red in the pattern.

I agree that a lot of dresses that Diana wore became the center of attention - eg her chanel costume when travelling to France.

The black dress Princess Diana wore when she danced with John Travolta at The White House. All eyes were on her that night!

That's a memorable event ! I remember reading an interview of Travolta where he said how this dance had put him back on stage (article).

The infamous "Up Yours" dress...I love it! I think she looked incredible in that dress!

Just thought of another outfit...what about the fancy dress Nazi uniform that Prince Harry wore a couple of years ago?:eek: That outfit was certainly talked about in the press!!

Just thought of another outfit...what about the fancy dress Nazi uniform that Prince Harry wore a couple of years ago?:eek: That outfit was certainly talked about in the press!!

What a disaster ! I wonder if there has ever been something more embarrassing for the RF ?!

There was the dress and um......make up that Princess Kalina of Bulgaria presented at the silver wedding anniversery of the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg.

Oh my god! You have to give her some respect for her bravery though.

I agree that the dress Diana wore dancing with Travolta has a place in this thread - I dont think that it will ever be forgotten. Nor will her wedding dress.

For CP Mary I would argue that her pink dress was much talked about, especially in the Australian/NZ mags, as it is the first time we saw her in a gala dress.

I think that both of the dresses worn by Letizia at the Danish wedding were talked about by the press.
(Concert ; Wedding)

In this post Elsa M. talks about imitations of Letizia'a most memerable dresses - including the dress she wore before her own wedding.

And while I dont remember how much these dresses were talked about by the press - they were certainly photographed and published a lot:

One Two Three Four Five Six Seven Eight
(Sorry I have not gone to the effort to describe each dress before linking it - I figured that we would all think of them differently anyway, and I do not know which events they were worn to...)

While its not an outfit, I think the thing most commonly talked about for Mette Marit is her tendency to wear a lot of black.

#4 #6 #8 are one of the most memroable dresses worn by the Princess of Wales.

#4 #6 #8 are one of the most memroable dresses worn by the Princess of Wales.

Yes - number four is the first dress I remember seeing her wearing, it was only later that I started looking at the earlier ones.

The only dress worn by a Royal in recent years that has been widely discussed would be Letizia's red dress in Denmark.

No other Royal comes close.

Martha-Louise's 'egg-celent' outfit for the wedding of Letizia and Fe;ipe comes to mind ;).

marmi said:
. . . . I think that both of the dresses worn by Letizia at the Danish wedding were talked about by the press.
(Concert ; Wedding)
All we can do is talk. Both of those gowns were worthy of Letizia's style. Both were knockouts. Now she is more often seen wearing "proper" princessy dresses. Dull, unimaginative, not worthy of mention. :ermm:

Martha-Louise's 'egg-celent' outfit for the wedding of Letizia and Fe;ipe comes to mind ;).

That one was definitely talked about by the press. According to VG (also photograph of the dress) it was voted the most tasteless dress at the wedding, by El Mundo. I think it was such a shock, because she looked stunning at the wedding of Mary and Frederik the week before.

Similarly, Mette-Marit's arrival outfit in Madrid (jeans) was also discussed a lot, both in the press and here. :whistling:

And then there was the feather-duster Mette-Marit wore to her daughter's christening, which got a lot of criticism at the time, but ended up being somewhat common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom