The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Courtier

The rebel of the moroccan fashion design Zhor Rayes,intitled her 2004caftan's collection under"End of harem's time",the usual long caftan became a mini-dress with the same features of the traditional moroccan caftan:
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Nobility

Do you have any idea where Moroccan designers made their studies?
Was it in Morocco or abroad, and their first work was in Morocco or with international fashion designers like many starters do.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir
Do you have any idea where Moroccan designers made their studies?
Was it in Morocco or abroad, and their first work was in Morocco or with international fashion designers like many starters do.

Most of moroccan designers if not all of them,made their studies in morocco,and performed their knowledge in morocco with famous designers who work in morocco like yves saint-laurent and others,but some of them performed in France especially,i have an article about that with the moroccan designer Tami Tazi,but i have to translate it from french to english ,and will post it!

Some of the moroccan designers didn't do classical studies for "design" in a design school,but learned from the traditional designers "maallam",but the difference is the researsh done by them in morocco and around the world!

Actually,all of moroccan designers have a moroccan background,which helps to work the traditional caftan and to do from it a "haute couture" caftan!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Nobility

Thanks for answer Monalisa. I thought it's interesting to know how Moroccan designers succeed in mixing wonderful styles/colors/fabrics to come with fashion dresses ... For sure that's need moroccan background and maybe some international studies/research/experience/influence ...
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Courtier

The moroccan designer Tami Tazi said:

"I've made the "beldi" for years,the tradition holds me with heart,that's requires in the same time creativity and a preserving direction!"

Living in France,she continues to draw its inspiration in the pure morocan traditions,and makes work all its models by moroccan craftsmen.

Creations of Tami Tazi ravel in the whole world from Istinbul to Newyork and passing by Paris.

She represented during many years the house of "Yves saint- laurent"!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Majesty

are there any designers like armani prada and others that use Moroco as insperation?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
are there any designers like armani prada and others that use Moroco as insperation?
I think if the designer him/herself doesn't say clearly that his/her work/collection have Moroccan inspiration, it will be difficult to know. For instance an indian designer Ranna Gill said she uses moroccan styles in her 2004 collection http://rannagill.com/html/morocco.htm

Designer Ranna Gill promises a pretty line with a heavy Moroccan influence. "The styles and colours will all remind you of Morocco. There are kaftan tops and kurtas in colours ranging from chocolate to turquoise, blue and gold," she said.

From http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/apr/27lifw.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	96996   Click image for larger version

Name:	img3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	96997  
Old 02-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Nobility

Fashion Trends 2005 - Spring 2005 & Summer 2005

From http://www.fashion-era.com/Trends_20...ing_summer.htm

Betty Jackson

Betty Jackson never fails to make an impression producing wearable clothes that her clients love. there were Bohemian touches throughout her show. Her Knitwear featured a hint of Navajo amid feathered trimmings. Her evening wear focused on dresses which glowed with Moroccan silver embroidery and beading. Soft flesh coloured kaftans were delicate and easy. An unusual combination was the pairing of striped sweaters with full skirts of taffeta, wrapped with sashes and bowed at the waistline.

She was also inspired by both the 70s and 30s and Jackson's floral frilled chiffon, high waisted dresses took us to a world of voluptuous cleavage and lazy dreamy afternoons. Jackson showed leaf printed coats a line also followed by Proenza Schouler in New York. One feature likely to be a big hit were her studded belts.

Pictures from gettyimages and vogue.co.uk; the first one is of the designer Betty Jackson.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51331677.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	97351   Click image for larger version

Name:	51331538.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	97356   Click image for larger version

Name:	51331537.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	97357  
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Nobility

in the majority of the models I don't recognize the caftan as I appreciate it,
to modernize it is a good thing but there I find that the costume is denatured
one of the only models that pleased me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	97395  
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Hi rosa, I agree with you and I see what you mean.
I notice as well that the princesses' dresses look different from what some designers offer ... So I guess some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn ...
Old 02-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Majesty

My grandmother, who is of Karachai nationality, used to have a silver belt similar to those worn by Moroccan princesses. It was very beautiful and quite heavy.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I notice as well that the princesses' dresses look different from what some designers offer ... So I guess some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn

I see your point of view,the moroccan princesses didn't use to wear "not very coverd" or sleevless outfits,but there's some models which they can wear,if you see my posts before,you can see that princess lalla meryem,wore a caftan/takchita made by the designer Zhor rayes.

Quote:
... So I guess some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn....

....can't be worn? ,this is a big word,why?what's wrong with the moroccan fashion?,we already saw fashion outfits made by designers with unlikely and incredible style, and worn by celebrities and some royals,and those moroccan caftans from contemporary designers look very humble comparing to them
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa
I see what u meant rosa,but actually everybody has his own taste,and not all like to wear heavy design as used to be the moroccan traditional caftans:heavy embroidery,and falashing styling with ample tailoring !

The contemporary moroccan designers undertook the task of making from the moroccan caftan an outfit which could be worn by people from different cultures!

As for the denaturating thing, i don't agree,when i see a caftan from designers it's still a caftan,the features of the traditional caftan are preserved(two pieces,the slits of the underpiece till the knee,and the slits of the ovepiece till the waist,and the embroidery through the center of the underpiece from the top to the bottom,the belt....)
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 AM
Nobility

Why you understand a dress can't be worn is a "Big word" ???!!!

Yes, to my opinion some Moroccan fashion dresses can't be worn ... like some other fashion dresses around the world ...
Some designers present few outfits just for creativity/fun/show ... and if a client loves a model the designer has to modify it so that it can be worn. We saw many examples of that on Rania dresses.
So this what I meant by "some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn" ... it's personal opinion; some ladies can wear anything, others don't.

Also we have to remember that FASHION is not made for the majority of the population ... this is true in occident as well in ME/Arab countries.
Not anyone can afford a dress which costs thousands of dollars .... so this again led to the same conclusion: "Some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn".

I post down some of those.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	98004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	98006  
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina
My grandmother, who is of Karachai nationality, used to have a silver belt similar to those worn by Moroccan princesses. It was very beautiful and quite heavy.
Thanks Al_bina for the post; it’s an interesting information.
Interesting as we know the humanity' age is of thousands of years; people were moving around and exchanging habits/cultures/etc.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa
From pictures posted here, I see big variety of Moroccan fashion dresses; I believe it’s due to designer’s work/creativity or/and background and inspiration.

In one the website posted before, I read that some designers:
- prefer to keep the dress traditional (2 pieces, slits, etc).
- others like to modernise it.
- others they add more or less touches from other cultures by inspiration (from Japan, India, Turkey, Pharaoh, etc).
- others they add touches from their regions like North or South of Morocco.

However Morocco influences others … and its designers get influenced as well.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=abir]

Yes, to my opinion some Moroccan fashion dresses can't be worn ... like some other fashion dresses around the world ...
QUOTE]

fine for SOME,but i believe that there's always people with incridible and extravagent taste who could like some of the examples you posted before:) ,you can make a sight at the most terrible thread:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...post178774,and you can see that there's many royals,and some celibreties of the show-biz who could ware unlikely outfits ,comparing to what you posted,it looks very humble. !

It's only a question of taste!

[QUOTE=abir]

Also we have to remember that FASHION is not made for the majority of the population ... this is true in occident as well in ME/Arab countries.
Not anyone can afford a dress which costs thousands of dollars .... QUOTE]

The moroccan fashion is not an exception,it's not made for all people but if the majority of people could not wear caftans from designers,they could be inspired by them,as we know "ZARA,H&M,Mango are in hands of majority of people,but their collections are always inspired by the collections from fashion designers!:)
Old 02-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Courtier

Staying in the exception thing,the exception of the moroccan fashion of the contemporary designers, is that it's inspired from its own traditions:)
Old 02-26-2005, 07:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
From pictures posted here, I see big variety of Moroccan fashion dresses; I believe it’s due to designer’s work/creativity or/and background and inspiration.

In one the website posted before, I read that some designers:
- prefer to keep the dress traditional (2 pieces, slits, etc).
- others like to modernise it.
- others they add more or less touches from other cultures by inspiration (from Japan, India, Turkey, Pharaoh, etc).
- others they add touches from their regions like North or South of Morocco.

However Morocco influences others … and its designers get influenced as well.

as I said it to modernize is a good thing (a kaftan less long and less large, use a modern cloth, made a more moderns coll and sleeves) as well as to add touchs of different regions of morocco (I saw some kaftans with magnificent Berber embroideries), but I think that when it is about traditional garment it is necessary to know how to preserve the authenticity of the clothes
the Moroccan dressmakers can express their imagination elsewhere that on the traditional garment
Old 02-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
fine for SOME,but i believe that there's always people with incridible and extravagent taste who could like some of the examples you posted before:) ,you can make a sight at the most terrible thread:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...post178774,and you can see that there's many royals,and some celibreties of the show-biz who could ware unlikely outfits ,comparing to what you posted,it looks very humble. !

It's only a question of taste!
Yes, that's evident ... there is always some people who wear extravagant cloths because they like to be noticed or want to be different from others ... people don't have same taste nor same reasoning.
An intellectual woman/queen/princess will not wear what an artist wears. The contest is different ... but it's not general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
The moroccan fashion is not an exception,it's not made for all people but if the majority of people could not wear caftans from designers,they could be inspired by them,as we know "ZARA,H&M,Mango are in hands of majority of people,but their collections are always inspired by the collections from fashion designers!:)
I think we were speaking about fashion designers of Haute Couture ... not ready to wear which costs few $ or "fashion" copied from big designers, which comes to the market after 4 years.