The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir
Hi susan,

Thanks for comments, that's interesting if you already know about it. Please if you can post links/articles which say more about byzantine influences ... Me, I found a website which says the Ottoman women wore belts made/set with jewels .... (of course byzantine did exist before Ottoman and mostly in the same region)

Belts and sashes (ukur)
  • Sashes were made of a folded and seamed length of linen, measuring approximately 2m long by 15 cm wide. They featured elaborate gold-embroidered end panels, around 12-15 cm long.
  • Several 16th belts in the Topkapi Saray Museum are presumed to be womens. They are of ivory, silver or mother of pearl plaques, joined by links or mounted on leather. The are elaborately decorated with gold or silver scrollwork, and set with jewels. Their length would indicate they were worn around the waist, not the hips.
From http://www.redkaganate.org/clothing/ottocloth.shtml

About jackey belt, in JFK library - treasures exhibit, it said it's a gift from Moroccan king Hassan II. To me the belt she wore in the picture is similar to the one in the exhibit. I posted more detail of Hassan II gifts to JK in post #47 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ear#post177599
abir

it very well might be a maroccan belt, I just assumed the possibility of it being a present from ari when I saw the year in which she wore it.

I can look it up, which empire excisted before the other but confess to being a total lazybones and less of a perfectionist than you (and I will not :) )

susan

Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
we have this exhibition at the moment in amsterdam and it is very beautiful and impressive:

Art Treasures from Moroccan Museums.
Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam
December 17, 2004 April 17, 2005
Thanks susan for the post; it's interesting :)

Old 02-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
abir

it very well might be a maroccan belt, I just assumed the possibility of it being a present from ari when I saw the year in which she wore it.
susan
Reading your post and knowing the date of the picture (1967) I thought also if it could be ari gift ... :)
Close pictures of the original belt (first one) and what Jackey wore ... and to me it seems they have some similarities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3243847.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	95323   Click image for larger version

Name:	treasures_belt.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	95325  
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Courtier

good remark abir for the silver belt worne by Jacky kennedy,i like this touch on a simple dress,which makes it very special and stylish!

You are true monamona,those belts exist before 67,it's a part of the traditionnal style of morocco,we can find them even in the far mountains of atlas where berber people use more silver jewels!
Old 02-19-2005, 02:56 AM
Courtier

I like the fact that this thread is getting interest of posters from different cultures and with different views,which makes talking about fashion other way than always royal women wearing stylish clothes from the runaway designers!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
You are wrong,actually it was not Alexander Mcqueen , john galliano doesn't worked for YSL,the dress is from 97 collection so before 1998 when yves saint-laurent left the design and retired,and galliano is still working for Dior.

Anyway,it isn't so important,who's de designer for which house,since the features of design of the house of YSL are preserved with or without yves saint-laurent whatever the designer who's working for the collection,so for example you can see the difference between the collection of Karl lagerfied working under CHANEL ,and his collection working under hiw name,the spirit of CHANEL is preserved as it was under Gabrielle Coco chanel!

As for the inspiration of that green dress worne by Nicole Kidman,you see that by eyes that you want,for me it's oriental with moroccan touch from caftans,as i know,chinese dresses don't have the opened edges till the kne as it's for moroccan caftans:) ,anyway,moroccan caftans are themself influenced by many other styles,but the features stay oriental!:)

Isn't that what I said in the first place that it was John Galliano who designed the dress??
Old 02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Serene Highness

more pics :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	44.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	96708   Click image for larger version

Name:	66.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	96709  
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena
Isn't that what I said in the first place that it was John Galliano who designed the dress??
Thought you said that it was for Yves saint-laurent by John galliano or Alexander Mcqueen,i my self was wrong,it's so YSL's style,but it's for Christian Dior by john galliano!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira
more pics :)
thanks amira for posting those pictures, i like the black&white one,the design is a bit special:)
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Nobility

I come across a website which has great work of Moroccan high-couture designers. It's http://www.caftan-biladi.com/index.htm

The costumes are beautiful and I like the large belts. I post down some outfits which I like most as well antique Moroccan Wedding Sash - Sashes from http://www.artisanaworks.com/ethnic4.htm
The last picture is of a Turkish Ottoman silk sash belt of the 18th century.

Hope you will like them :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	130.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	96790   Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	96791   Click image for larger version

Name:	sash12.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	96806  
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Nobility

I believe there are dozens of sashs around the world similar to antique Moroccan wedding belt. I post down something similar: the Obi Sash Belts for Kimono, from http://www.japanesekimono.com/obi_belts.htm
The last picture of Obi Jacquard Silk, Japan 1920's, from http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/cmot/blobi.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sash-obi.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	96839  
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir
I come across a website which has great work of Moroccan high-couture designers. It's http://www.caftan-biladi.com/index.htm

Hope you will like them :)
thanks abir for posting the link,the caftan festival of 2004 was so "haute couture"!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Nobility

You are welcome Monalisa :)
Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Nobility

Rachida ALAOUI
COSTUMES ET PARURES DU MAROC

The burnous, the caftan, the jellaba, the hak and other garments are signs of how Moroccan urban clothes have spread throughout time. The blooming of dress traditions from their Andalusian heritage and the Moorish and Spanish fashions long interested the western travelers and ambassadors from the 16th to 18th centuries, and "oriental" fashions conquered the 19th century Romantics, as well as Matisse in the 20th century. By the richness and diversity of the ornamentation specific to each region, by the brilliance of the colors and the luxury of the fabrics used, clothes for both men and women excelled in their refinement and elegance. The workshops of Fez, Tetouan, Mekns, and Rabat produced the finest caftans and the most sumptuous woven fabrics, especially those used for wedding garments for Muslims and Jews alike. But grandiose clothes are not complete unless they are accompanied by golden jewelry, in many forms: tiaras, earrings, jewels worn on the temples, buckles, rings, broaches, necklaces, bracelets, and ankle bracelets. These luxury crafts are still alive today, through a revival of jewelry and fabrics, driven by the growth in Moroccan haute couture, which was born about twenty years ago in an attempt to preserve and revitalize this precious heritage. Of immutable form, traditional garments have constantly evolved, with new fabrics, colors and patterns, integrating foreign influences - oriental, Andalusian, Ottoman, and finally European - but have always maintained their predominant position and social meaning, in spite of modernity and the appearance of western clothes. This special vitality has been noticed by French fashion designers, such as Mariano Fortuny, Paul Poiret and Yves Saint Laurent, who, with bright and original designs, have used Moroccan patterns, styles and ornaments in their creations, and have been irresistibly influenced by the enchanting splendor of Moroccan garments.

From http://www.acr-edition.com/ASP/Coll_...=2-86770-161-9
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	COSTUMES.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	96892  
Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Courtier

my favourite young moroccan designers,Albert Waknine,very contemporary styling ,but preserving the features and the spirit of the moroccan cafatn:
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Courtier

the touch of Albert Waknine,"the embroided corsaire addition ",very interesting!
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Courtier

more from Albert Waknine!
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Courtier

more:) ,a research in styling and materials used:
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Courtier

A white caftan/takchita as a bridial dress from the young moroccan designer Albert Waknine:
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Gentry

the queen in moroccan clothes
Attached Images