The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla27
Caftans and Tachitas became famous thanks to the French designers who visited morocco and got inspired from them. Many famous fashion "leaders" have secondary houses in Marrakech and Essaouira. It is not thanks to the princess that the moroccan traditional dresses became famous. Still, they did a good job in getting it "acknowledged" :).
Nice to point that Layla27.
Designers travel a lot; they walk in the streets of the world capitals and get inspired also from dresses of normal women :)

Old 02-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Vintage caftans:---------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage caftan.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	95000  

Old 02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Courtier

contemporaty caftans/takchitas made by young moroccan designers,there's a research in the material and styling,which matche more the tendencies from the runaway fashion,but the the big fearures from the traditional caftan/takchita are preserved!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caftan-a.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	95001   Click image for larger version

Name:	caftan-b.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	95002   Click image for larger version

Name:	caftan-c.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	95003   Click image for larger version

Name:	caftan-d.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	95004  

Old 02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Courtier

contemporary design from the moroccan designer Fatena Kooli:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caftan fatna Kooli.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	95005  
Old 02-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Courtier

From Albert Ouaknine,moroccan young designer:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caf1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	95045   Click image for larger version

Name:	caf2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	95046   Click image for larger version

Name:	caf3.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	95047  
Old 02-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Courtier

From Hassan Boushiki,a young moroccan designer:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caf6.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	95048   Click image for larger version

Name:	caf7.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	95049   Click image for larger version

Name:	caf10.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	95050  
Old 02-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Courtier

From Radia Armouch,young moroccan designer:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caf9.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	95051  
Old 02-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
Nicole Kidman wearing a nice dress from YSL Yves saint-laurent,the influence from the sleevless moroccan caftans!

P.S:YSL is born in algeria,and living in morocco from the early 80's in the famous villa "majorelle" in marrakesh,so the influence is understundable!
Actually, that green dress worn by Nicole Kidman for the Oscars was designed by John Galliano for the House of Yves Saint Laurent (or it was an Alexander McQueen before he left the house of YSL. I always forget. It's one of the two.) Mr. Laurent had already left the house of YSL way before that dress was created.

Anyhoo, the dress was actually inspired by the traditional dress of China -- the Chinois.

Thought you should know.:)
Old 02-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena
Actually, that green dress worn by Nicole Kidman for the Oscars was designed by John Galliano for the House of Yves Saint Laurent (or it was an Alexander McQueen before he left the house of YSL. I always forget. It's one of the two.) Mr. Laurent had already left the house of YSL way before that dress was created.

Anyhoo, the dress was actually inspired by the traditional dress of China -- the Chinois.

You are wrong,actually it was not Alexander Mcqueen , john galliano doesn't worked for YSL,the dress is from 97 collection so before 1998 when yves saint-laurent left the design and retired,and galliano is still working for Dior.

Anyway,it isn't so important,who's de designer for which house,since the features of design of the house of YSL are preserved with or without yves saint-laurent whatever the designer who's working for the collection,so for example you can see the difference between the collection of Karl lagerfied working under CHANEL ,and his collection working under hiw name,the spirit of CHANEL is preserved as it was under Gabrielle Coco chanel!

As for the inspiration of that green dress worne by Nicole Kidman,you see that by eyes that you want,for me it's oriental with moroccan touch from caftans,as i know,chinese dresses don't have the opened edges till the kne as it's for moroccan caftans:) ,anyway,moroccan caftans are themself influenced by many other styles,but the features stay oriental!:)
Old 02-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
As for the inspiration of that green dress worne by Nicole Kidman,you see that by eyes that you want,for me it's oriental with moroccan touch from caftans,as i know,chinese dresses don't have the opened edges till the kne as it's for moroccan caftans:)
Yes, all depend on how we see things and our knowledge as well.

Down are some pictures of chinese dresses with long open edges as Nicole Kidman had in her dress.
Pictures from http://www.my-qipao.com/qipaow/qipaof1.html, where you can find more.

The history
Qipao / Cheongsam is an elegant type of Chinese dress. This closefitting dress with a high neck and the slits on the sides, comes from China's Manchu Nationality.
More in http://www.my-qipao.com/qipaofct_engl/qipaofc2.html

Style elements and material

The slits

For convenient movement and display of the slender legs of women Qipao / Cheongsam generally has two big slits at either side of the hem. The slits of Qipao / Cheongsam expose a woman's legs indistinctly when she walks, as if there was a blurred emotional appeal of "enjoying flowers in mist". Today you can get Qipao / Cheongsam with different lengths and kinds of slits (one slit on the side or front as well as two slits).
From http://www.my-qipao.com/qipaofct_engl/qipaofc4.html

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cq058.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	95107   Click image for larger version

Name:	cq047.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	95108   Click image for larger version

Name:	cq045.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	95109   Click image for larger version

Name:	cq004.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	95110  

Name:	cq013.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	95111   Click image for larger version

Name:	cq076.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	95112  
Old 02-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Courtier

The dutch top model Karen Mulder wearing a takchita in the catwalk from moroccan designer Zhor rayes,and princess lalla meryem of morocco wearing a takchita from the same designer at the 3d festival of cinťma of marrakesh!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caftan-c.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	95115   Click image for larger version

Name:	lallasoukaina+jamaldebbouze+lallameryem.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	95116   Click image for larger version

Name:	LALLAMERYEM-160.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	95117  
Old 02-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

the asian influenced green embroiderd shift dress Nicole Kidman wore at the oscars was by John Galliano for Christian Dior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena

Old 02-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Courtier

I believe that the green dress worn by N.Kidman with the oriental touch,is from Christian dior ,collection S/S 97,thanks for the correction:

Actor Tom Cruise and his wife Nicole Kidman in Christian Dior, attend the 69th Annual Academy Awards ceremony March 24, 1997 in Los Angeles, CA. (Photo by Russell Einhorn/Liaison)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nic dior.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	95118  
Old 02-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Nobility

I noticed the belt is part of the Moroccan traditional dress, so I post here lovely pictures of P. Hasna and Jacqueline Kennedy wearing gold belts :)

Caption: 16th December 1967: EXCLUSIVE Jacqueline Kennedy (1929 - 1994) stands and holds a program while attending the Metropolitan Opera, Lincoln Center, New York City. She wears a long white evening dress with a gold belt.

Description of the jewels: a gold belt, bracelet and purse decorated with diamonds, rubies and emeralds presented to Mrs. Kennedy by King Hassan II of Morocco.
From http://www.jfklibrary.org/pr_treasures_exhibit.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5280181.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	95260   Click image for larger version

Name:	3243847.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	95261  
Old 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Abir,

the gold belt might have byzantine influences because jacky married onassis in 1968 and he bought her lots of stuff that were rather "big" and gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir
I noticed the belt is part of the Moroccan traditional dress, so I post here lovely pictures of P. Hasna and Jacqueline Kennedy wearing gold belts :)

Caption: 16th December 1967: EXCLUSIVE Jacqueline Kennedy (1929 - 1994) stands and holds a program while attending the Metropolitan Opera, Lincoln Center, New York City. She wears a long white evening dress with a gold belt.

Description of the jewels: a gold belt, bracelet and purse decorated with diamonds, rubies and emeralds presented to Mrs. Kennedy by King Hassan II of Morocco.
From http://www.jfklibrary.org/pr_treasures_exhibit.html
Old 02-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
Abir,

the gold belt might have byzantine influences because jacky married onassis in 1968 and he bought her lots of stuff that were rather "big" and gold.
Could be byzantine influences..But just to let you know those types of Moroccan belts (gold, silver, or silk...) exist way way before Jacky wore one of them in 1968...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
Abir,

the gold belt might have byzantine influences because jackey married onassis in 1968 and he bought her lots of stuff that were rather "big" and gold.
Hi susan,

Thanks for comments, that's interesting if you already know about it. Please if you can post links/articles which say more about byzantine influences ... Me, I found a website which says the Ottoman women wore belts made/set with jewels .... (of course byzantine did exist before Ottoman and mostly in the same region)

Belts and sashes (uÁkur)
  • Sashes were made of a folded and seamed length of linen, measuring approximately 2m long by 15 cm wide. They featured elaborate gold-embroidered end panels, around 12-15 cm long.
  • Several 16th belts in the Topkapi Saray Museum are presumed to be womenís. They are of ivory, silver or mother of pearl plaques, joined by links or mounted on leather. The are elaborately decorated with gold or silver scrollwork, and set with jewels. Their length would indicate they were worn around the waist, not the hips.
From http://www.redkaganate.org/clothing/ottocloth.shtml

About jackey belt, in JFK library - treasures exhibit, it said it's a gift from Moroccan king Hassan II. To me the belt she wore in the picture is similar to the one in the exhibit. I posted more detail of Hassan II gifts to JK in post #47 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ear#post177599
Old 02-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir
Hi susan,

Thanks for comments, that's interesting if you already know about it. Please if you can post links/articles which say more about byzantine influences on gold belts ... Me, I found a website which says the Ottoman women wore belts made/set with jewels .... (of course byzantine did exist before Ottoman and mostly in the same region)

Belts and sashes (uÁkur)
  • Sashes were made of a folded and seamed length of linen, measuring approximately 2m long by 15 cm wide. They featured elaborate gold-embroidered end panels, around 12-15 cm long.
  • Several 16th belts in the Topkapi Saray Museum are presumed to be womenís. They are of ivory, silver or mother of pearl plaques, joined by links or mounted on leather. The are elaborately decorated with gold or silver scrollwork, and set with jewels. Their length would indicate they were worn around the waist, not the hips.
From http://www.redkaganate.org/clothing/ottocloth.shtml

About jackey belt, in JFK library - treasures exhibit, it said it's a gift from Moroccan king Hassan II. To me the belt she wore in the picture is similar to the one in the exhibit. I posted more detail of Hassan II gifts to JK in post #47 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ear#post177599
Thank you Abir..interesting article..

NB: Morocco was never under the Ottoman empire. but this does not mean necessarily there is no influence.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by monamona
Thank you Abir..interesting articles..

NB: Morocco was never under the Ottoman empire.
You are welcome monamona.
Interesting remark ... However I believe that could happen during commerce exchange between North Africa and Orient.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Nobility

Some of gold belts :)

1st: Ivory, gold, turquoise and ruby belt for Sultan Selim II, Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum.
From http://www.turkishculture.org/jewelry/gold.html

2nd: Gold Belt Covered with Beads
This belt, which belonged to Prince Ptahshepses, was placed among the bandages of the mummy. The belt is composed of a thin band of gold on which beads were fixed to form a geometric pattern of diamonds and triangles. The buckle, which is made of gold sheet, was decorated with inlays and chasing.

The figure of the prince is shown seated on both sides of the belt. He holds a long staff in his right hand. The staff is dominated by two falcons, representing the god Horus. The falcons are depicted with their wings outspread and with the Shen sign in their claws.

The belt bears the titles of its owner who was, perhaps, a royal son.
From http://www.eternalegypt.org/EternalE...rait_item_id=3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	260-5-EM-1-5476-_310x310.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	95316   Click image for larger version

Name:	jewelry2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	95317