The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the great info..i would say that Mary for sure had some bleaching treatments, she looks incredibly pale..if you see her now , even next to other royals she's unnaturally white..kind of like Kate Blanchett, except Kate has always had that skin tone so it seems more natural..very interesting..

Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Serene Highness

I also suspect Mary bleached her skin (but it may be the climate as well?). Her skin has definitely undergone a big change. She looks pretty flawless now.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 AM

it's very interesting to me, being in Australia, because skin whitening products here are hardly ever sold..we live in such a warm climate..i have seen a few in asia, there's a big market for them. I have heard good things about Dior and some SKII stuff..anyone tried any with success?
thanks !!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Courtier

I doubt Mary has bleached her skin. She has not been in the sun for a long time. She may have had resurfacing treatments. But not bleaching. I have never heard of bleaching actually working. I have often heard that it is more common in noncaucasian cultures. But I've never heard of someone Caucasian doing it. Personally, I doubt it works. You can change you skintone by putting a cream on your skin. You can do peels and light resurfacing to remove the top layer of dead skin. Which is what I believe she has done.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Courtier

Just by staying out of the sun, ALWAYS wearing a sunscreen, and regularly exfoliating your skin followed by a strong moisturizer can change a skin tone from haggardly tan to a creamy pale in just weeks.

Personally, I think Mary was never into all the image-conscious things. Once she became Princess, she had expert advisors and now considers her skin, make-up, hair and clothing choices more carefully.

Generally, once you focus more attention on an area, it improves--as long as you are using correct information to guide you of course!

This is what I think happened with CP Mary and is starting to happen with Duchess Camilla. Even ones who had better access earlier on improved as they found what worked best for them--like Diana, HRH Caroline and HM Queen Noor.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100
I doubt Mary has bleached her skin. She has not been in the sun for a long time. She may have had resurfacing treatments. But not bleaching. I have never heard of bleaching actually working. I have often heard that it is more common in noncaucasian cultures. But I've never heard of someone Caucasian doing it. Personally, I doubt it works. You can change you skintone by putting a cream on your skin. You can do peels and light resurfacing to remove the top layer of dead skin. Which is what I believe she has done.
You're right that bleaching is more common in ethnic cultures, but there are some whites who want pale skin (I've read about this on another forum). And as far as changing skin tone with a cream, the only prescribed cream that can lighten skin has hydroquinone in it. No regular skin cream can do that. So if she used a cream that lightened her skin (which I don't know) it was with that purpose. Bleaching definitely works and we can look at Michael Jackson and know that! He claims to have vitiligo, but that would not cause total bleaching, rather patches of whitened skin. Also, melanocytes (which are responsible for pigment) are not in the top layers of skin so any treatment that caused lightening would have been an aggressive treatment. Now, saying all that, I don't know what Mary did! I only know her skin is lovely now (which has more to do with the texture than the color).

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 AM

Really interesting, thanks Ann.
I used to work at Chanel, and i know that 'brightning' products are a bit of a fashion industry secret. Of course they work- look at Nicole and Cate, and other celebs who have totally changed their skin tones and complexions...it's nothing new-they have been used in Asia for years.
you'd be crazy to think it's all about putting on some sunscreen!! sorry but be realistic. Mary still goes out in the sun, just because Denmark is not like Australia it doesn't mean she's indoors all day. that's crazy. Mary herself says she goes out a lot and she's very outdoorsy and active. Besides the transformation was very apparent from the engagement to the wedding in a matter of months..peels or whatever it was..this isn't something you get by putting on sunscreen!!
Don't know if anyone watched 'what's hot or not' from 20 to 1 last nite, Mary was number 3 ( I think) and they showed the extended video from when she worked at Love (??) and my god, she looks like a totally different girl. I definitely think all the expert advisors have done a wonderful job of improving her! she just looks amazing now!!!!! good on her.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet25 View Post
Really interesting, thanks Ann.
I used to work at Chanel, and i know that 'brightning' products are a bit of a fashion industry secret. Of course they work- look at Nicole and Cate, and other celebs who have totally changed their skin tones and complexions...it's nothing new-they have been used in Asia for years.
you'd be crazy to think it's all about putting on some sunscreen!! sorry but be realistic. Mary still goes out in the sun, just because Denmark is not like Australia it doesn't mean she's indoors all day. that's crazy. Mary herself says she goes out a lot and she's very outdoorsy and active. Besides the transformation was very apparent from the engagement to the wedding in a matter of months..peels or whatever it was..this isn't something you get by putting on sunscreen!!
Don't know if anyone watched 'what's hot or not' from 20 to 1 last nite, Mary was number 3 ( I think) and they showed the extended video from when she worked at Love (??) and my god, she looks like a totally different girl. I definitely think all the expert advisors have done a wonderful job of improving her! she just looks amazing now!!!!! good on her.
This is a very interesting thread! Thanks for all contributions.
Violet, since you are an expert, could you tell if (in your opinion) the secret of Mary's great skin could be a combination of peeling+quality moisturizer+sunscreen?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet25 View Post
I used to work at Chanel, and i know that 'brightning' products are a bit of a fashion industry secret.
It's crazy how some people spend $$, trying to look like a roasted beef and then there are some others, spending $$, to brighten their skin...

Personally, I prefer P. Mary's present pale complexion to P. Madeleine's roasted appearance, but I believe these beauty standards are all related with the part of the world one comes from... you know the old saying: the grass is always greenner on the other side...

Like Mary, I'm also from a sunny country, where people have naturally tanned skin, so perhaps that's why we wanted to look pale instead... while Madeleine is from Sweeden, where everybody looks naturally pale and so doing everything to look orange instead

Anyway, I believe she really did any sort of "brightening" treatment... perhaps not an aggressive bleaching treatment, but a long series of peelings, accompanied by the use of quality products (sunscreens, etc.).
Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

elizabeth II uses Clarins

The body beautiful - Telegraph
Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, her majesty uses clarins. It's high end but well known. I guess I would've expected her to use something so high end its almost unheard of.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Mathilde her make-up is always verry natural

* [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

A close-up of Mathilde's make-up during a state visit
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Gentry

The close-up does show amateur made make-up. Maybe Mathilde should hire a make-up expert before bigger events.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Aristocracy

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if I should try Ole Henrikson's products. I have quite sensitive skin.
Attaining Grace
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I've tried Ole Henrikson's products in the past and found them to be very over-rated.

Personally I prefer Eve Lom products, although I'm not sure if it is available in Australia as it is a British brand,
Welcome to Eve Lom

The Kiehls range of products are also pretty good and unlike other brands they are not ludicrously expensive.
Kiehl's | Welcome

However if you prefer using products that derive from natural plants etc then the Korres range is pretty good.
Korres natural products
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

re: Ole Henrikson

Thank you very much, Little Star. I will see if all of those products are available here. If not, I may have to continue with Lancome which has always been good.

Best Regards,
Attaining Grace
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Commoner

CP Skincare

I believe in the Vanity Fair magazine a few years ago with the royals in the issue--they listed in the back the make-up/cosmetics used by the artists.

Also, since CP Mathilde seems to support Belgian products, she might use Nelly de Vuyst skincare line.

I would definitely like to know what products and brands they use and have at their disposal though.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Mathilde with not much make-up
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting
Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtenstein View Post
The close-up does show amateur made make-up. Maybe Mathilde should hire a make-up expert before bigger events.
Forgive my ignorance, how can you tell? What makes the difference between a 'make-up expert' and 'amateur'? I would love to know the tricks.

Do you recognize any other royals as applying their own make-up?

Thanks