The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Royal Style File

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

If you were Princess Beatrice's or Eugenie's style advisor....

...what would you be advising her to do?

It seems as though a lot of our members have strong ideas about Princess Beatrice's appearance and fashion sense, so this thread is for you to put your money where your mouth is and to make suggestions about how the Princess should present herself to best advantage.

This thread is for suggestions and advice. Discussions about her current fashion and style should go in the Princess Beatrice and Eugenie's Fashion and Style thread in the House of Fashion.

A few ground rules:

The forum rule about insults and bashing applies in this thread. If people think the Princess is unattractive in one way or another, they need to be compassionate rather than brutal in their expression of that opinion. It would also be helpful if these people would stick to the spirit of the thread and also suggest ways in which the Princess might improve things. In other words, criticism is fine as long as it's constructive criticism. We also ask that people be careful about criticism of the Princess's weight - we've had problems in other forums with people piling on when they believe someone is anorexic or overweight, and the results have been pretty ugly. It would be very nice to avoid that sort of thing here.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

First of all I would ask what sort of image she is trying to project, if any. I would ask her what she feels her best physical features are. Then I would ask what part(s) of her body she is not entirely comfortable with. I would ask whose style and fashion sense she admires and whose style and fashion she does not like.

From there I would suggest - for formal events - more tailored glamorous clothes; dresses which reach below the knee, gathered at the waist, not too much cleavage, never strapless. Perhaps a nice mini jacket of silk over an evening gown to take away from her upper arms. A dipped neckline to accent her throat and that gorgeous long hair.

For a more casual look I'd suggest cottony skirts (which she seems to like) - again, below the knee to give the appearance of height. Most any kind of comfortable top except for sleeveless.

For a photo op for charities, maybe a skirt suit. Fitted jacket enhancing her small waist, knee-length skirt, nice black pumps and stockings.

For family gatherings I'd steer her away from her dramatic hats (though she's young and probably enjoys the craziness a little). I'd recommend more conservative brimmed hats maybe with a chiffon scarf tied around the base, depending on the situation.

That's about it. I might suggest wearing a sarong or a wrap skirt on the beach over her bikini when she's out of the water. And lots of sun screen, of course.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i'd suggest ...
cut her hair shorter its got far far too long and messy
stop wearing plunging necklines
always wear skirts or dresses below the knee as this works best to emphasie the narrowest part of your leg
wear her hair up sometimes when wearing a hat as a change
fitted waisted jackets
go for a tailored look rather than simply following the flowy floaty fashions of the day
invest in a couple to trouser suits - i cant recall ever seeing her in trousers
avoid fussy patterens, prints or too many frills

BUT dont change your shoes some of them are really lovely

Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Stylists are just that. They should show the princess how to bring out the best and leave the junk behind. She can be attractive, properly dressed. I have no idea where she has gotten some of the stuff she has worn, which makes her look comical. I agree with the Princess of Europe, she needs a tailored look. The silly hats make her look like a Dr, Seuss character. She has many charming features. Her beautiful hair being one of them. She is young, she can look exceptional at this age. I don't thin she has a weight problem. She looks fine. You don't have to be a stick. She needs someone like a Catherine Walker to design clothes that make her look elegant. They can still be youthful, but tasteful.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I have seen her with some very lovely shoes, and I think she has really good legs. But I don't think she ought to be over-exposed, I think she, like her mother, shows too much cleavage. And I agree, she does have pretty hair. I do think she'd look better in more tailored clothes too, along the lines of Lady Helen Taylor or Gabriella Windsor.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not qualified to be anyone's style advisor. I have little regard for fashion and in my adult life I have never been one to change my clothes because someone who is in the buisiness of selling clothes wants me to. I wear what I want. But that's not going to stop me giving my opinion about this.

I think Beatrice has some ideas of her own and likes to be very modern and fancies fashions that border on fad. I don't think she wants to look conservative yet, and I think that's just fine. I'd steer away from the conservative female stylists and suggest is that she have a meeting with Carson Kressley. He understands body shape and how to disguise the things that should be disguised and how to emphasise the things that should be emphasised, yet he keeps up with modern fashion and is a bit "way out" which I think Beatrice would appreciate.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Courtier

I'd try a new hair color...I wouldn't stray too far form the red family but maybe something that popped a little more. I thought she looked good at P&A's wedding in those bright colors, that's definitely a look for her...
Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be useless trying to advise her as she has given to understand that she wants to design clothes and enter the fashion world so she thinks what she wears is absolutely wonderful......I suppose everyone saw the dresses she designed for her birthday party when everyone wore a period costume - enough said.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I think it would be useless trying to advise her as she has given to understand that she wants to design clothes and enter the fashion world so she thinks what she wears is absolutely wonderful......I suppose everyone saw the dresses she designed for her birthday party when everyone wore a period costume - enough said.
Before even our first interview I would ask her to burn the hat she wore at the Phillips's wedding. Where do you begin??
As with her mother, she will also go through a period where she can do no right until someone shows her some of the "stylish" pictures of her. It is unfortunate that designers do not lend the royals their clothes as they do with the stars of Hollywood. A little bit of professional advice would go far with some of them.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Nobility

I've lived in both Europe and here in America so it gets a bit tricky in the fact Europeans have a bit of a different outlook in what is stylish compared to their American cousins. Beatrice has access to all sorts of designers and must maintain a cordial relationship with all of them in this jet set era.

I would start with her gorgeous hair and give it just a bit more body and style with a slightly shorter cut.

Her makeup seems fine.

Always like to see her smile.

Her clothes need to be softer, longer and flowing. Cover up the arms at bit more, higher necklines and maybe a well tailored jacket (or suit) or two in very soft colors. A bit of lace every now and then might be nice.

Absolutely no feathers or other hint of animals or insects on hats, please.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Serene Highness

She would benefit from fuller, shorter hair. Getting rid of the ever present jackets would be a good start as well. Clothes that accent her curves instead of emphasizing them would also not go amiss. My biggest suggestion would be that she tries dressing more for her age. Her clothes always look like they belong on an older woman. She really is quite a pretty girl. If the stylist in her finally meets the princess in her, I think she could be quite a stunner in more classically lined clothing.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Beatrice has such dramatic looks--bombshell body, red hair, big eyes--that she doesn't need so much drama in her clothes. I'd suggest things that are more understated but in styles that are youthful. She can certainly wear short skirts, for example. I think that the jackets are fine, but she shouldn't wear a tunic and a blouse with a jacket, for example. Simply the layers.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
It is unfortunate that designers do not lend the royals their clothes as they do with the stars of Hollywood.
AFAIK they do with those interested in their work - at least I have read that CP mary of Denmark is not only supporting Danish fashion, but gets clothes from the deisgners to wear.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Anyone would be pleased to see their designs on Princess Mary she always looks stunning.
I really feel that Princess Beatrice´s style adviser is her mother!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Nobility

I'd advise her to tone down the crazy hat trend just a bit.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:18 PM

I just don't get why Bea thinks the hats she wears match her face shape, her colouring or her status as a resident of planet earth. They never seem very co-ordinated and when she does get the outfit near enough right as she did at the Phillips wedding, she sticks her head in an insect sanctuary. There's just no need for it. She needs proper hats, upturned brims and not so zany. They'd suit her much better.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Mary is in mid-thirties, Beatrice hasn't turned 20 yet. What suits a mature woman with two children just doesn't work for teenagers. IMO, it'll be one boring familiy photo if all the men in same suits and all the ladies in the exact same elegant/pastel/matching/etc outfits. Oh wait...that's the bridemaids and groomsmen's uniform. But seriously, can you imagine people dressed exactly alike? If RF did at the wedding or any other large royal gathering, the headlines would be screaming for them all to get some personality. The butterflies are definitely not for everyone. I for one am glad they are not on the Queen's head.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
The butterflies are definitely not for everyone. I for one am glad they are not on the Queen's head.
Hmmmm... you leave me speechless as I simply can't figure out how to tell you that I can't see any - even remotely plausible - reason why HM ever would think (for a moment or even a split second) to wear something like THAT!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Royal Highness

It's not like royal ladies haven't had their individual styles. Just look at some of the photos in Princess Maxima's fashion thread. In terms of outrageous head gear, Beatrice's butterflies are tame. I was just illustration my point that some fashions are fun on teenagers, while others are better suited on the older generation.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

I remember thinking that at the Queen Mother's funeral both Beatrice and Eugenie were dressed far too old. They had on suits or something and elaborate hats, and they were just 14 and 12. I think they should have been wearing more age-appropriate clothes, and I thought at the time it was just that their father was too clueless to know how to advise them. But maybe back then Beatrice was showing signs of wanting to grow up too fast and be a mini-mummy. Whoever let them wear those outfits to the Queen Mother's funeral was already showing signs that they weren't advising the princesses appropriately.

Tags
fashion, princess beatrice, style