Fur on Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think fur looks so much better on the animal , instead of some rich womans back!!!

This might get me some criticism - but if I had the choice whether to look at fur on an animal or an elegant Royal lady I know I'd rather see it on Mette Marit, Mary or the Countess of Wessex!

servingsophie said:
This might get me some criticism - but if I had the choice whether to look at fur on an animal or an elegant Royal lady I know I'd rather see it on Mette Marit, Mary or the Countess of Wessex!

well that your choice , pretty sad one but its a free country
still sad to hear it

Re:

Princess Michael wears fur so well. Some women don't, but it makes her look very imperial.

Indeed, some are against the use of fur & some are for it. Personally, I am ALL for it.

I adore it and would love to see more of it used, especially on HRH the Crown Princess Mary who looks absolutely stunning in mink.

For those who are against the use of fur, I respect your point of views greatly. But I do not share them.

"MII"

Re:

Indeed, some are against the use of fur & some are for it. Personally, I am ALL for it
Here Here! A Princess should look suitably regal - stick her in furs and diamonds and she'll capture the hearts of the world. You can't dress royalty in polyester suits and floppy hats.

Last edited:
Ok! when I saw this thread I thought I would just leave it alone to save an argument, but after reading everyone's opinions I must add my comment too.

I understand that you are talking about the look of fur, and the supposed regal air it can give people (especially royalty), but to give the animal rights advocates a mention (I'm a very dedicated animal rights protestor), I must say anyone who believes that wearing fur is a decent thing to do is very mistaken.

The way animals are tortured for their fur is barbaric and something I could never just stand-by and allow to happen without protest. If you knew how the fur is taken like I do, maybe you would have a much different opinion.

And, for those dedicated to fur-wearing, I must say there are some very realistic faux-fur coats, ect. if you know where to look.

Re:

And, for those dedicated to fur-wearing, I must say there are some very realistic faux-fur coats, ect. if you know where to look.
Layla, I understand your feelings and it is sooooo frowned upon to wear fur here nowadays but sadly, people always will. There's a department store in East London called, 'Fairheads' and is the last store to be seliing fur coats, stoles etc. All real. They are subject to protestors but while there's still money in fur, it'll still go on. Sadly, faux-fur never is fur and a true fur coinesseur knows the difference!

BeatrixFan said:
Layla, I understand your feelings and it is sooooo frowned upon to wear fur here nowadays but sadly, people always will. There's a department store in East London called, 'Fairheads' and is the last store to be seliing fur coats, stoles etc. All real. They are subject to protestors but while there's still money in fur, it'll still go on. Sadly, faux-fur never is fur and a true fur coinesseur knows the difference!

Better still don't wear fur at all!! Faux or real!!:D

Re:

Better still don't wear fur at all!! Faux or real!!

LOL. I think fur is really a mark of wealth. For example, the Queen couldn't go over to the Netherlands in a faux fur when Beatrix wore real fur - it'd would make Elizabeth look like a poor relation even though neither lady would mention it - the press would catch on.

The only faux fur I could possibly recommend would be from John Lewis - it's about 55 GBP for 3 metres by 2 metres and you can get sable, chinchilla, mink, fox etc etc - very handy for costume design (my work).

BeatrixFan said:
LOL. I think fur is really a mark of wealth. For example, the Queen couldn't go over to the Netherlands in a faux fur when Beatrix wore real fur - it'd would make Elizabeth look like a poor relation even though neither lady would mention it - the press would catch on.

The only faux fur I could possibly recommend would be from John Lewis - it's about 55 GBP for 3 metres by 2 metres and you can get sable, chinchilla, mink, fox etc etc - very handy for costume design (my work).

You're in costume design? That's great! I don't have any creativity.:(
But, in referrence to fur, if people want to wear it they will, as you said, but that won't stop me trying to change everyone's minds!:D

Re:

You're in costume design? That's great! I don't have any creativity.:(
But, in referrence to fur, if people want to wear it they will, as you said, but that won't stop me trying to change everyone's minds!:D

I try my best! Keep trying to change people's minds. You might not succeed but you'll feel better for giving it a go!

I like the intelligent and respectful discussion on here. :)

I think some of it is a generation difference. My grandmothers and mother wore and still wear fur as that is perfectly acceptable in their generations.

I think the tide has been changing over the past 20 years and you really do not see females of my generation in the U.S. wearing fur coats or stoles...except maybe if the fur is used around the collar of the coat.

Re:

My first ever big costume was for Mrs Anna in The King and I. I'd just left school and was doing it part-time. I threw together a design for a basic cape to go with the ballgown and after looking at the actress playing her, I decided that it needed to be more regal. In the end it was divine (the seamstress's work not mine!) which went down to the floor and was made of Periwinkle Blue Satin and had an edge of chinchilla fur (faux). It looked stunning with the costume jewellery she wore and she looked extremely royal - fur is de rigeur for Royals on the stage!

Lady Marmalade said:
I think some of it is a generation difference. My grandmothers and mother wore and still wear fur as that is perfectly acceptable in their generations.

Exactly! My mother has hanging two fur coats in her closet, one of herself and one of her mother (my grandmother). She doesn't want to wear them anymore, because of all those people that are against fur (I myself don't like it either and I think neither does she at the moment), but she always tells me that it wasn't a big problem to wear them let's say 20 or 30 years ago.

But I think it's a very royal thing, fur. Though I don't like the idea of animals being killed for it...

I know that everyone has their opinions about fur, but why can't we simply post pictures of royals wearing fur and comment on how they look and so on and save the anti-fur, animal rights activisim for another thread for once? Haven't we been through this enough times already...like the first two threads of this topic?

There is more talk about what is wrong with fur, then pictures of actual royals wearing fur.

Last edited:
http://theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54015

Very majestic Beatrix

http://theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56518

still very majestic Beatrix

http://theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81241

At the funeral of grand Duchess Charlotte, MEN she has all kinds of coats with fur

I have to say that she is used to wear these furry coats.
Still i think that fur is very chique, but only fur of animals who were raised for their fur. Not the fur of countries like china who kill their animals with a awful way.

sara1981 said:
what about late Diana,Princess of Wales? Sarah,Duchess of York? Sophie,Countess of Wessex? and Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall?

Diana wore fur a handful of times during the first few years of her marriage. She had a short white fur coat that she brought out for grand occasions such as the opening of Parliament, attending the theatre, etc.

1982 was the last year I remember her wearing fur.

Photos: J Fincher/Rex/Alpha

Mink looks so majestic on HRH Princess Michael. Just gorgeous!

I find that as she gets older she becomes more and more beautiful.

"MII"

Thanks so much "SS",

Indeed HRH looks amazing in furs. To me Marie Christine has always possesd the glamour & beauty befitting that of an Imperial Archduchess.

"MII"

Isabel said:

Out of all the Princess in her set..age and otherwise..NO ONE can pulll of clothes like her. She is the apex of elegance..fur or no fur. She hits that mark every single time she steps out right in the bullseye.

Maxima, Victoria and Madeleine would come after her in the next age set of princesses for the elegance of their wadrobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me its The Crown Princess Mary follwed by Princess Alexandra.

"MII"

Here are pictures with Queen Silvia wearing fur:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31827

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32459

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32473

One of Madeleine, with fur lining (a very cute pic with her and Carl Philip!)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32482

Victoria, Madeleine, and Silvia wearing fur:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32474

All these pics were from Queen Silvia's 60th Birthday Celebrations, lots of fur going on!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I do say that HM the Queen Silvia does look ravishing in mink.

"MII"

Back
Top Bottom